PDA

View Full Version : Jack Stack via mail...

KC Kings
07-27-2005, 12:50 PM
The mother-in-law is flying out for a week at the end of the month to help my wife decorate the new house. The father-in-law is staying back in Carolina, and since he really tried hard to buy us a kegorator for our housewarming gift I thought it would so my appreciation for his gesture and ship some KC BBQ out to him while his cook is at our house.

Jack Stack is $65 for one slab, beans, and sauce. Seems really high, but to get restaraunt quality Jack Stack Q in the southland it might be worth it.

The question is, for the people that have eaten the freeze dried Q, is it good? Is it comparable to what you would get in the restaraunt?

ROYC75
07-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Although it is good by mail, it's not the same as you get at the resturant.

If you live on the south side of town......... go to Martin City and get ya some.

KCTitus
07-27-2005, 12:57 PM
I had occasion several years ago to try bbq from Rendezvous in Memphis. It was shipped overnite and packed in dry ice.

I thought it was very good. Since I've never been to that restaurant I can't say if it lived up to restaurant quality, however...no point of reference.

Megbert
07-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Did the Jack Stack deal for my B-day about a month ago really good food. Haven't had Jack Stack in the restaurant to compare it too. Everyone at the party liked it.

philfree
07-27-2005, 01:06 PM
I was thinking we need a jack stax ( isn't spelled with an x as oppossed to a ck?) in Springfield. There's not that many quality BBQ joints around. I've only eaten at the stax on Metcalf so I don't know if they're all that nice of establishment but something like that would do well here I think. It's hard to call that particular venue a BBQ joint. Here in Springfield if I want BBQ I go to Buckinghams which is a BBQ joint but's pretty much the best around IMO. I'd bet that within 2 years a jackstax here would send Tony Roma's packing. Oohhh and the James River Grille has closed down and it used to be a Trotters BBQ and is in a pretty good location. There's a success story looking to happen here.

PhilFree:arrow:

luv
07-27-2005, 01:09 PM
I was thinking we need a jack stax ( isn't spelled with an x as oppossed to a ck?) in Springfield. There's not that many quality BBQ joints around. I've only eaten at the stax on Metcalf so I don't know if they're all that nice of establishment but something like that would do well here I think. It's hard to call that particular venue a BBQ joint. Here in Springfield if I want BBQ I go to Buckinghams which is a BBQ joint but's pretty much the best around IMO. I'd bet that within 2 years a jackstax here would send Tony Roma's packing. Oohhh and the James River Grille has closed down and it used to be a Trotters BBQ and is in a pretty good location. There's a success story looking to happen here.

Best BBQ in Springfield would have to be Crosstown BBQ. I really like Smokey Bones' pulled pork, too. MMMmmmm. Memphis is the best place for BBQ.

philfree
07-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Best BBQ in Springfield would have to be Crosstown BBQ. I really like Smokey Bones' pulled pork, too. MMMmmmm. Memphis is the best place for BBQ.

I know Stevie(the owner-2nd generation I believe) from my college days and I've eaten some stuff he catered to a party and it was good. Never tried Smokey Bones but since you say it's good maybe I should.

AustinChief
07-27-2005, 01:18 PM
It is worth it... at least for me.

ROYC75
07-27-2005, 01:22 PM
I know Stevie(the owner-2nd generation I believe) from my college days and I've eaten some stuff he catered to a party and it was good. Never tried Smokey Bones but since you say it's good maybe I should.

Smokey Bones in Bowling Green Ky is good, but it is not no Jack Stacks .

Dartgod
07-27-2005, 01:24 PM
I know KC Dan had some shipped to him in Vancouver, WA and he said it was very good.

ROYC75
07-27-2005, 01:32 PM
I had some shipped here, a big variety pack, it was awesome...... But I like the resturant better.

Again, if he lives on the southside of town, why ship it, go eat it.

excessive
07-27-2005, 01:36 PM
MMMmmmm. Memphis is the best place for BBQ.

I'm going to Memphis next week. Recommendations for bbq?

keg in kc
07-27-2005, 02:02 PM
I've had jack stack delivered twice, once to west virginia, once to hawaii, and it was a huge hit both times.

KCTitus
07-27-2005, 02:03 PM

Corky's and Rendezvous are damn good.

KC Dan
07-27-2005, 02:04 PM
No complaints at all. The family wants to know when the next shipment is coming. I told them to get a job - I ain't rich!

KC Kings
07-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the input. I will go ahead and order it based on your feedback.

After looking through all of the options on the webpage I am still not sure what meal I will send out to him, but I am sure that I need to eat some BBQ in the near future.

http://jackstackbbq.com/Default.asp?

Saulbadguy
07-27-2005, 03:25 PM

Thats kinda funny, with Springfield housing the producer of the most popular commercial BBQ sauce.

KC Kings
07-27-2005, 03:37 PM
While I am speaking of BBQ, and have worked up a pretty good craving, I just moved to Liberty last month. I used to be within 5 miles of LC's, Gates, Connoco on 47th and Blue Ridge, and Midwest BBQ, and the late Big Daddy's. With young kids everytime we went to McDonalds, I would fast and grab some Q on the way home.

I live on 291 and I-35 now, and have seen the Smoke Stack BBQ and one other, but would like some recommendations of the best Q in the Northland.

KC Kings
07-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Thats kinda funny, with Springfield housing the producer of the most popular commercial BBQ sauce.

Which one is the most popular, KC Masterpiece?

I looked at their webpage and did not see if they were in Springfield, but I did see they are Kosher for Passover.

"Are KC MasterpieceŽ Barbecue Sauces Kosher-Certified?
Yes, the following KC MasterpieceŽ Barbecue Sauces are Kosher-Certified: Original, Hickory Brown Sugar, Honey Smoke, Spicy Original, Hickory, Steakhouse, Honey Teriyaki, and Mesquite. "

It is always good to have a Kosher Teriyaki BBQ sauce, for the Hebrew-Asian customers.

Saulbadguy
07-27-2005, 03:44 PM
http://www.cattlemensbbqsauce.com/

MOhillbilly
07-27-2005, 03:52 PM

Been here long enough to remember Stones?

luv
07-28-2005, 01:38 AM
Depends. How old would I have to be to remember it?
And where was it at?

luv
07-28-2005, 01:40 AM
Couple of good places on Beale Street. Blues City Cafe and BB King's. Also, would go with the suggestion of Corky's.

luv
07-28-2005, 01:42 AM

Yeah. I went to school with his either son or step-son, Aaron.

luv
07-28-2005, 01:43 AM
Smokey Bones in Bowling Green Ky is good, but it is not no Jack Stacks .
No Jack Stacks in Springfield. Where would the closest one to me be located?

philfree
07-28-2005, 02:42 AM

I hope you don't mean Kraft :shake: That stuff can ruin a hotdog! Well I'd never put bbq sauce on a dog but you get the picture.

philfree
07-28-2005, 02:45 AM

That don't ring a bell with me and I've lived here since..gosh...I was 2year old. 1963 I think. How bout Fletcher's? Talk about some greasy fry's.......that stuff would blow you up!

philfree
07-28-2005, 02:46 AM
No Jack Stacks in Springfield. Where would the closest one to me be located?

KC

luv
07-28-2005, 02:52 AM

I actually forgot about Buckinghams! I like their horseradish cole slaw, and I'm not a big fan of slaw. Remember the Tiny's that used to be at Kearney and Kansas Exp? That was good, too. For now, if I want good BBQ, I usually go to Smokey Bones. They serve my Bicardi Lemon and lemonade, too.

Abba-Dabba
07-28-2005, 03:58 AM
Jack Stack is $65 for one slab, beans, and sauce.

Geezus! That is highway robbery. I bet it doesn't cost them $10 to make it. Probaly less than $15 total to send it.

Slab of ribs in bulk-$6
Can of beans with some liquid smoke-$2
Bottle of sauce-$2
Dry Ice-$2/lb

And they want to charge $65 for that. My lord, have you gone insane? Cocaine doesn't even have a profit margin that big. Send the old fart a six pack of the finest brew you can find and mail order him a blowjob. Probaly still save yourself $15 bucks in the process. Better yet, taking the old lady off his hands for a few days probaly is more than enough compensation to put a smile on his face for a couple weeks.

MOhillbilly
07-28-2005, 07:04 AM
Depends. How old would I have to be to remember it?
And where was it at?

late 70s early 80s.

eff the donkeys
08-20-2005, 04:28 PM
I like Central BBQ in Memphis. It's on either Madison or Poplar. Damn fine. Nice outdoor seating area if it's not too hot.

hbkeay
08-20-2005, 05:16 PM

Interstate BBQ.

cookster50
08-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Again, if he lives on the southside of town, why ship it, go eat it.

Because that isn't what he said, the FIL lives in Carolina.