PDA

View Full Version : Car Wash Conspiracy?

Frazod
07-27-2005, 05:47 PM
After my wife got canned from her job a couple of weeks ago, one of the many things that got whacked by the budgeting axe was my at-least-weekly visits to the local Delta Sonic car wash. The main reason I did this was because of the dust that seemed to instantly gather on my car while parked every weekday at the local train station parking lot. The dust was clearly visable after the first day, and by the end of the week, the car was (at least in my estimation) filthy. Plus, the slightest amount of rain would turn the dust into large, brown splotches, and bright red paint doesn't seem to hide it very well.

Anyway, last Tuesday I finally got off my lazy ass, purchased one of those Mr. Clean carwashing kits, and washed the car by hand. Since then, it's rained like hell, twice, yet the car isn't dusty or spotted with dirt, and looks pretty much as clean as the day I washed it. That seems really strange, since I didn't wax the car.

So I wonder - it is possible that the car wash people add something to the rinse that actually attracts dirt, and thereby encouraging more frequent visits to the car wash? Or did all the dust in Northern Illinois somehow magically settle in the past week? The conspiracy theorist in me is seeing red, and not just the paint on the Mustang.

Anybody else ever notice this?

In any event, I think I'll wash the car myself from now on, regardless of the wife's employment status.

|Zach|
07-27-2005, 05:50 PM
How much was the kit?

Skip Towne
07-27-2005, 05:53 PM
I used to own three car washes. The only thing I did to the water was run it through the softener so you got lots of suds and a spot free rinse. They never let me in on the dust gathering potion, damn it.

Frazod
07-27-2005, 05:53 PM
How much was the kit?

I'm not sure - perhaps around $20 or so. Obviously works well, and it's already paid for itself considering how much I used to drop at the car wash.

Frazod
07-27-2005, 05:54 PM
I used to own three car washes. he only thing I did to the water was run it through the softener so you got lots of suds and a spot free rinse. They never let me in on the dust gathering potion, damn it.

Sure sounds like a great marketing ploy, though, doesn't it?

Skip Towne
07-27-2005, 05:57 PM
Sure sounds like a great marketing ploy, though, doesn't it?
Sure does. Car washes are a great business. You are basically re-selling utilities and there is no way anybody can tell how much money you took in.

Frazod
07-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Sure does. Car washes are a great business. You are basically re-selling utilities and there is no way anybody can tell how much money you took in.

One thing you mentioned in your first post - the soft water - made me think a feature of the Mr. Clean kit - a built-in filter for rinsing that purifies the water. Perhaps that accounts for the big difference.

|Zach|
07-27-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure - perhaps around $20 or so. Obviously works well, and it's already paid for itself considering how much I used to drop at the car wash.
Cool, thanks for the heads up.

andoman
07-27-2005, 06:27 PM
We've got a self-serve car wash near my home that costs only 75 cents. Once on wash (brush if necessary), once on rinse and I've only spent $1.50. I can afford that.

milkman
07-27-2005, 06:28 PM

Would this be the kit with the spot free rince?

Frazod
07-27-2005, 06:32 PM
We've got a self-serve car wash near my home that costs only 75 cents. Once on wash (brush if necessary), once on rinse and I've only spent $1.50. I can afford that.

I was paying $14 for a full wash, wax and drying. If you went back within five days, the follow-up wash was free; within 10 days, it was half price.

Still, I kind of feel like a moron now for blowing all that money on something I could easily do myself. Just got in the habit of doing it when I lived in the city (and had no place to effectively wash a car since I always had to park on the street). Now I have a garage and no excuse not to do it myself.

FloridaChief
07-27-2005, 06:34 PM
and there is no way anybody can tell how much money you took in.

Mr Towne, the IRS would like to meet with you now...

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
07-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Would this be the kit with the spot free rince?

It is impossible to have "spot free rinse" without using RO water (reverse osmosis). Reverse osmosis is a very involved process in which SOFT water is filter through several different types of media and then forced through a membrane removing all but .001% of all minerals and sediment dissolved in the water. Most people make the mistake of thinking soft water is spot free, or even worse that water sprayed over a filter in a at home carwashing kit makes it spot free water. When in fact it does not even make it soft water. Soft water is the removal of all but sodium cations. Spot free water is water that has been throught the RO process and has a total dissolved solids rating of less than 75ppm.

HemiEd
07-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Tim, the much needed moisture we have had killed the dust. As you know, we went almost three months with only a half inch of rain. The dirt was dry and almost everything was brown. Now we have had two rains of almost an inch in a week which kills the dust. My cars are staying clean to. I do not think there is a car wash plot but would highly recommend getting that Mustang waxed. ROFL

milkman
07-27-2005, 07:33 PM
It is impossible to have "spot free rinse" without using RO water (reverse osmosis). Reverse osmosis is a very involved process in which SOFT water is filter through several different types of media and then forced through a membrane removing all but .001% of all minerals and sediment dissolved in the water. Most people make the mistake of thinking soft water is spot free, or even worse that water sprayed over a filter in a at home carwashing kit makes it spot free water. When in fact it does not even make it soft water. Soft water is the removal of all but sodium cations. Spot free water is water that has been throught the RO process and has a total dissolved solids rating of less than 75ppm.

So, the answer is "No"? :p

stevieray
07-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Tim, the much needed moisture we have had killed the dust. As you know, we went almost three months with only a half inch of rain. The dirt was dry and almost everything was brown. Now we have had two rains of almost an inch in a week which kills the dust. My cars are staying clean to. I do not think there is a car wash plot but would highly recommend getting that Mustang waxed. ROFL

show me.... wax on, wax off...

always look eye.

Frazod
07-27-2005, 07:36 PM

This weekend. :thumb:

Frosty
07-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Do yourself a favor and visit Autopia (http://www.autopia.org) and check out the detailing tips (in the "Learn" section or in the forums). It's very easy to install swirls on your new ride (may be too late if you have been going through a carwash) if you aren't really careful.

I always thought I was doing a pretty good job when I cleaned up my vehicles but the results I get following correct washing, polishing and "waxing" is amazing.

RedDread
07-27-2005, 07:47 PM
One thing you mentioned in your first post - the soft water - made me think a feature of the Mr. Clean kit - a built-in filter for rinsing that purifies the water. Perhaps that accounts for the big difference.

I bet this is spot on (heh). I think the dust from the carwash was just an unintentional side effect of our shitty water system and it's minerals that have a tendancy to keep water over a 7 pH.

This is actually one of the things my step uncle tests out in Reno, NV. I'm sure he could explain it better.

/science geek

Frazod
07-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Do yourself a favor and visit Autopia (http://www.autopia.org) and check out the detailing tips (in the "Learn" section or in the forums). It's very easy to install swirls on your new ride (may be too late if you have been going through a carwash) if you aren't really careful.

I always thought I was doing a pretty good job when I cleaned up my vehicles but the results I get following correct washing, polishing and "waxing" is amazing.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

HemiEd
07-27-2005, 07:48 PM

Kewl, I think you will be shocked how clean it stays and how nice it looks. That is a beautiful car. :thumb:

Skip Towne
07-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Mr Towne, the IRS would like to meet with you now...
Uh, that was in the 70's. Statute of limitations. Plus, even they couldn't tell how much money I took in.

FloridaChief
07-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Uh, that was in the 70's. Statute of limitations. Plus, even they couldn't tell how much money I took in.

Okay, Crazy Skippy...

Ahhhhh, ...I'll pay my TAXES when the Government CURES my WWI Shell-SHOCK!!!

Skip Towne
07-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Spot free is a relative term. We didn't know what reverse osmosis was in the 70's if it even existed back then. But you could certainly tell if a car wash used soft water by the way your car dried without having to chamois it.

Frosty
07-27-2005, 08:15 PM
I bought a water softening filter for the hose from Pure Water Products (http://www.pwgazette.com/gardenhosefilters.htm) . It uses a home type filter to soften the water and the filter can be recharged by soaking it in a brine.

It's not RO, but it does an acceptable job of getting a lot of the mineral out of the water and really helps to cut down on water spots (so does not washing in direct sun and drying immediately after washing).

Miles
07-27-2005, 08:43 PM

Here is another great resource. It probably goes into more detail than you could ever need but its great for looking stuff up.

http://www.properautocare.com/problemsolving.html
http://www.properautocare.com/detailingtips.html

Also if you havent bough any wax yet i would highly reccomend this kit:

http://www.properautocare.com/blacnewcarki.html

I had been using meguires stuff for years but found this is better. The wax/protectant is a newer technology synthetic. It lasts much longer than standard wax and gives a great shine. Great for a car you drive everyday.

Skip Towne
07-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Okay, Crazy Skippy...

Ahhhhh, ...I'll pay my TAXES when the Government CURES my WWI Shell-SHOCK!!!
Damn right. Except it was the Atomic bomb that caused my shell shock. I was only 37 days old when that happened. Scarred me for life.

Frazod
07-27-2005, 09:18 PM
Kewl, I think you will be shocked how clean it stays and how nice it looks. That is a beautiful car. :thumb:

I will put the polish you gave me to good use (finally).

Frosty
07-27-2005, 09:23 PM
I've heard good things about Blackfire, but have never used it.

I've recently become a huge fan of Four Star's Ultimate Paint Protection (http://www.autogeek.net/plulpapr.html) . Extremely easy to put on, buffs off with no effort, no dust, doesn't stain trim, extremely slick, very wet looking and makes the metal flake on my Silverado "pop".

I was using NXT but was pretty disappointed. It really muted the flake on my truck and darkened it. It gave it a lot of reflection but no depth or wetness. I also had a lot of trouble with it streaking. I liked it on my older red Nissan but UPP is orders of magnitude better on my new truck.

Logical
07-27-2005, 09:54 PM
This may or may not have been posted but I will go ahead. If the car wash uses the spinning brushes or shammies (sp?) as they blow air to dry your car it creates static, static attracts dust.

Just a possibility.

ROYC75
07-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Maybe that damn horse has too much horsepower and is turning up too much dust ?

Buy a Chevy........... :p