PDA

View Full Version : NASA grounds shuttle fleet

Boyceofsummer
07-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Zipit E Doo Da Zipit E A.........................

By Irene Klotz

HOUSTON (Reuters) - NASA halted future shuttle flights on Wednesday after learning that a large chunk of insulating foam broke off Discovery's external fuel tank during launch, an echo of the problem that doomed sister ship Columbia and its crew 2-1/2 years ago.

The falling debris does not appear to have hit or damaged Discovery, which took off on Tuesday on a 12-day mission to the International Space Station, the agency said.

But NASA said it would launch no more shuttle flights until its engineers could review the problem of debris falling off during blastoff.

Photos taken by Discovery's crew during launch showed the chunk of foam was missing from the fuel tank, a troubling finding because a 1.67-pound (0.75-kg) piece of foam insulation fell off Columbia's external tank during its launch on Jan. 16, 2003, and hit the ship's wing.

The damage caused Columbia to break apart as it attempted to fly through the atmosphere for landing 16 days later, killing the seven astronauts aboard.

NASA spent months changing the way foam insulation was applied to the tank and had expected to see only tiny pieces of debris come off Discovery's tank during its launch.

"Obviously we have to go fix this," a NASA spokesman said.

Astronauts aboard Discovery were still inspecting their ship for damage on Wednesday while imagery experts on the ground studied thousands of pictures and videos taken during its launch.

NASA expects to know by Thursday whether engineers want additional inspections with the shuttle's new laser-scanning boom to assure Discovery is in good shape to return to Earth at the end of its 12-day flight.

Preliminary images found that part of a tile, a component of the shuttle's heat shield, also broke off from the area around the shuttle's nosewheel landing gear door.

The mission is NASA's first manned flight since Columbia. Discovery is scheduled to reach the International Space Station on Thursday to deliver critical supplies.

Atlantis had been scheduled to launch on the next shuttle mission in September, also on a visit to the International Space Station.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

The shuttle program should be terminated. Thank the Russians for continued access to outer space. Very sad.

chefsos
07-27-2005, 06:09 PM
In f*cking credible. They stood down for two and a half years in order to fix FOAM, and couldn't do it.

Ultra Peanut
07-27-2005, 06:13 PM
NASA grounds shuttle fleetUh... a little late there, guys!

Logical
07-27-2005, 10:20 PM
It is time to retire that fleet not just ground it and bandaid them.

Pitt Gorilla
07-27-2005, 10:27 PM
It is time to retire that fleet not just ground it and bandaid them.The Shuttle has been obsolete for years. Hell, the private sector is making better alternatives.

Frazod
07-27-2005, 10:30 PM
:shake:

What a national f#cking embarassment these clowns are.

Iowanian
07-27-2005, 10:39 PM
Even when Fugging up, NASA put people into space yesterday....Meanwhile, people in "the cradle of civilization" are still working on the formula for Toilet paper.

USA! USA! USA

Logical
07-27-2005, 10:39 PM
The Shuttle has been obsolete for years. Hell, the private sector is making better alternatives.Yup what is really embarrasing but amazingly has never led to a lauch delay is the computers, they were first designed to go on the B-52 as an upgrade in the 70s. Peoples desktop computers in the early 90s were much more powerful. (OK this info is about 7 years old so it could be that things have been upgraded), I certainly hope so.

Logical
07-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Even when Fugging up, NASA put people into space yesterday....Meanwhile, people in "the cradle of civilization" are still working on the formula for Toilet paper.

USA! USA! USAI am not sure I would gloat about that until they have returned to earth safely. The heat shielding tiles on the shuttle that may have been damaged by the debris are not important during launch only during reentry.

go bo
07-27-2005, 11:18 PM
damn, i hope the damage isn't of any consequence...

if all the shuttles are grounded, who would go to get these guys if their shuttle is too damaged to return?

Ultra Peanut
07-28-2005, 01:43 AM
damn, i hope the damage isn't of any consequence...

if all the shuttles are grounded, who would go to get these guys if their shuttle is too damaged to return?They can ride back on Scanlon's shoulders.

Well, they'll all have to ride on one shoulder. The other is the exclusive territory of his pet parrot, Little Richard.

Rausch
07-28-2005, 01:47 AM

USA! USA! USA

Beating a bunch of retards by 2 seconds in a marathon isn't much to brag on...

Barret
07-28-2005, 03:19 AM
Silly Question....

Why do they call it the Shuttle Fleet???

I mean a friend of mine here has TWO cars and I dont say he has a Fleet of cars.

Bwana
07-28-2005, 06:39 AM
This time it didn't seem to cause enough damage to blow the thing up when it re-enters. At least that's what they are saying. When do they come back?

4th and Long
07-28-2005, 06:46 AM
Silly Question....

Why do they call it the Shuttle Fleet???

I mean a friend of mine here has TWO cars and I dont say he has a Fleet of cars.
Off the top of my head, there were, or have been, at least 6 space shuttles.

Challenger (OV-99)
Enterprise (OV-101)
Columbia (OV-102)
Discovery (OV-103)
Atlantis (OV-104)
Endeavour (OV-105)

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 06:47 AM
NASA is a f*cking joke.

Can anyone really tell me something that has come out of the Space Program? I mean something really f*cking helpful.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 06:48 AM

Challenger (OV-99)
Enterprise (OV-101)
Columbia (OV-102)
Discovery (OV-103)
Atlantis (OV-104)
Endeavour (OV-105)

Yep. Enterprise never made it in to space though.

Off the top of my head, the order in which they were built was:

Enterprise
Columbia
Challenger
Atlantis
Discovery
Endeavour

4th and Long
07-28-2005, 06:52 AM
Yep. Enterprise never made it in to space though.
Enterprise was not designed to operate in space, only in the atmosphere.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 06:53 AM
Enterprise was not designed to operate in space, only in the atmosphere.
Aye aye, captain.

Saulbadguy went to space camp.

4th and Long
07-28-2005, 06:54 AM
Oh, I almost forgot. If we are going to count ALL the shuttles, we need to add Pathfinder (OV-098), a structural mockup.

4th and Long
07-28-2005, 06:56 AM
Aye aye, captain.

Saulbadguy went to space camp.
Thank you, cadet. Don't forget to salute Admiral 4th, who was learning about space and the universe long before you were born. :D

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Does no response to my question mean that NOTHING good has come out of the space program?

morphius
07-28-2005, 07:44 AM
Does no response to my question mean that NOTHING good has come out of the space program?
This work for you?

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/technologies/spinoffs.html

4th and Long
07-28-2005, 07:49 AM
Didn't we we just bitch slap a comet millions of miles away? That has major implications and importance should one of those things take aim at us.

Lonewolf Ed
07-28-2005, 07:59 AM

USA! USA! USA

As long as they have two or three good fingers on the dirty hand, they won't need any toilet paper.

Abba-Dabba
07-28-2005, 08:06 AM
NASA is a f*cking joke.

Can anyone really tell me something that has come out of the Space Program? I mean something really f*cking helpful.

Tang...

TV Satellite Dish, Medical Imaging, Bar Coding, Ear Thermometer, Fire Fighter Equipment, Smoke Detector, Sun Tiger Glasses, Automobile Design Tools, Cordless Tools, Aerodynamic Bicycle Wheel, Thermal Gloves and Boots, Shock Absorbing Foam used in football helmets, Ski Boots, Invisible Braces, Joystick Controllers, Advanced Plastics...

We could go on and on.

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Tang...

TV Satellite Dish, Medical Imaging, Bar Coding, Ear Thermometer, Fire Fighter Equipment, Smoke Detector, Sun Tiger Glasses, Automobile Design Tools, Cordless Tools, Aerodynamic Bicycle Wheel, Thermal Gloves and Boots, Shock Absorbing Foam used in football helmets, Ski Boots, Invisible Braces, Joystick Controllers, Advanced Plastics...

We could go on and on.

A lot of that stuff could have been done without sending people into space.

Soupnazi
07-28-2005, 08:23 AM
The PC you're pounding out internet BB messages on is a direct decendant of the space program. The economic impact of the PC alone is worth the investment in the space program.

As for the space shuttle, I agree that it's time to retire the fleet. These vehicles are older than most everyone's car, yet you wouldn't be surprised if a 1980 Oldsmobile couldn't make it cross country, much less a trip through space. The journey out there is just so violent on equipment.

Unfortunately, the money required to create new vehicles is probably more than most people would care to spend on a new module.

morphius
07-28-2005, 08:28 AM
But for what purpose? Most the inventions our off-shoots of things that came about because of ideas that were hatched to solve issues. Without those issues that the technology needed to be created you can't say that the ideas would have been done by just spending money on land based research, at least not in any time.

Hey, IMHO I see spending money on space as a way to continue to progress the human race and advance us scientifically as well. It seems that most advances are out of necessity, dealing with space forces the issue, as do wars and medical epidemics. Which would you prefer, Space, War or Plague?

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 08:45 AM
I understand that all this sh*t came about because of the Space Program. That is great. Terrific, we made it to space. My question is this:

Being in space has benifited us how?

All this stuff you all keep naming got us into space and keeps getting us there. What has come about because of our time IN SPACE?

All I ever see is the shuttle circling the globe, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

"We have to fix the space station." What is being done up there that can't be done down here? Don't say they are testing sh*t up there, because the only difference is the lack of gravity. And if lack of gravity is what the main research is, that won't amount to a pile of f*ck down here.

Now can someone tell me, WHAT DO THEY DO IN SPACE? AND WHAT HAS COME FROM ACTUALLY BEING OUT OF THE EARTH'S ATMOSHERE?

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Our time in space will come.

morphius
07-28-2005, 08:59 AM
I understand that all this sh*t came about because of the Space Program. That is great. Terrific, we made it to space. My question is this:

Being in space has benifited us how?

All this stuff you all keep naming got us into space and keeps getting us there. What has come about because of our time IN SPACE?

All I ever see is the shuttle circling the globe, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

"We have to fix the space station." What is being done up there that can't be done down here? Don't say they are testing sh*t up there, because the only difference is the lack of gravity. And if lack of gravity is what the main research is, that won't amount to a pile of f*ck down here.

Now can someone tell me, WHAT DO THEY DO IN SPACE? AND WHAT HAS COME FROM ACTUALLY BEING OUT OF THE EARTH'S ATMOSHERE?
If you don't have the issues of dealing with space, then you don't have the things it created.

Its big picture vs small picture, hanging around on Earth and not progressing is very small picture, and short lived.

Brock
07-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Looks to me like the unmanned stuff works really well.

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 09:09 AM
If you don't have the issues of dealing with space, then you don't have the things it created.

Its big picture vs small picture, hanging around on Earth and not progressing is very small picture, and short lived.

What ever, we disagree on this. I just think we can advance with science without risking putting people up there. I will still say we do not advance from actually being up there, we advance because of things that get us there. We can continue to make the same progress sending unmanned rockets into space.

I'm done with this subject.

stumppy
07-28-2005, 09:11 AM

Me and my buddy Grog were talking about this the other day in our rocks and advanced wheels class.
We both agree with morph.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 09:11 AM
What ever, we disagree on this. I just think we can advance with science without risking putting people up there. I will still say we do not advance from actually being up there, we advance because of things that get us there. We can continue to make the same progress sending unmanned rockets into space.

Most of the space missions done now ARE unmanned rockets in to space.

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Most of the space missions done now ARE unmanned rockets in to space.

That's awsome, MOST is not ALL. Now we have people stuck up there because they are on a manned shuttle.

What is the reason they are up there right now anyway. To take the trash out of the Space Station? Come on, cut the sh*t. These poor guys are now stuck in space because they are being used as garbage men.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 09:19 AM
That's awsome, MOST is not ALL. Now we have people stuck up there because they are on a manned shuttle.

What is the reason they are up there right now anyway. To take the trash out of the Space Station? Come on, cut the sh*t. These poor guys are now stuck in space because they are being used as garbage men.
Actually, they have 15 tons of needed supplies for the space station.

Brock
07-28-2005, 09:22 AM
The shuttle program should be terminated. Thank the Russians for continued access to outer space. Very sad.

That is an idiotic take. Why not just fix the problem?

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 09:24 AM
I don't think we should continue with our current fleet of shuttles. I think we should research and develop new short range shuttles.

cadmonkey
Actually, they have 15 tons of needed supplies for the space station.

the space station where nothing is being done? Instead of bringing supplies, we should take home the people that are living up there. The space station is the most useless thing that is up there.

didn't I say I was done with this topic? F*cking Saul getting me all riled up........

morphius

Yes, most of the progress is done by getting us up there, I think I have stated the same.

As far as risk, people risk their lives every day, but you still see people jumping out of planes, hang gliding, getting in their cars. We are not ordering these people to go out into space, they work their asses off just to hopefully get a shot to live their dream.

Brock
07-28-2005, 09:25 AM
I don't think we should continue with our current fleet of shuttles. I think we should research and develop new short range shuttles.

Me too. In the meantime, however, I wouldn't think coming up with a better solid rocket booster setup would be that difficult.

morphius
07-28-2005, 09:26 AM

Where do you get the idea that they are "stuck" there are escape vehicles on the space station that they will be docking too.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 09:27 AM
the space station where nothing is being done? Instead of bringing supplies, we should take home the people that are living up there. The space station is the most useless thing that is up there.

didn't I say I was done with this topic? F*cking Saul getting me all riled up........
Be done with it then. I don't blame you. There are visionaries in this world, and then there are those who just want to stay at home and not learn about our amazing universe we are in. Kind of reminds me of the explorers of the new world, and the skeptics who thought the world was flat, and we were the bright center of the universe.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Me too. In the meantime, however, I wouldn't think coming up with a better solid rocket booster setup would be that difficult.
Is the current incident due to a failure in the SRB? I know the other 2 catasrophes were related. I thought this incident was related to the heat tiles.

They should still make it though. Hell, Apollo 13's tiles were most likely damaged and they made it back.

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Yes, most of the progress is done by getting us up there, I think I have stated the same.

As far as risk, people risk their lives every day, but you still see people jumping out of planes, hang gliding, getting in their cars. We are not ordering these people to go out into space, they work their asses off just to hopefully get a shot to live their dream.

So you are proving my point. These people are just going to go because they have always wanted to. So NASA is just a fun joy ride. Sweet, lets keep giving them billions of dollars annually to let people live out there dreams. We have MUCh bigger problems then outter f*cking space right now.

"We have devolped a new type of thermal insalation that can be used in space walks. Who wants to try it out? Of course that will only help us in space. It may be able to be used for firefighters so they can survive when a building collapes around them, but we'll say we discovered it for the space program."

Its crap, we can dicover all of this with out the space program.

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Where do you get the idea that they are "stuck" there are escape vehicles on the space station that they will be docking too.

There shuttle is falling apart going into space. They are stuck out there until they can fix the shuttle right? UNtil its fixed I don't see them reentering Earth anytime soon. I didn't say they were stuck on the shuttle, just stuck in space.

morphius
07-28-2005, 09:34 AM
So you are proving my point. These people are just going to go because they have always wanted to. So NASA is just a fun joy ride. Sweet, lets keep giving them billions of dollars annually to let people live out there dreams. We have MUCh bigger problems then outter f*cking space right now.

"We have devolped a new type of thermal insalation that can be used in space walks. Who wants to try it out? Of course that will only help us in space. It may be able to be used for firefighters so they can survive when a building collapes around them, but we'll say we discovered it for the space program."

Its crap, we can dicover all of this with out the space program.
Ummm, sure. What problems are you really thinking this money is going to fix? What about all the out of work scientists? We are already beginning to fall behind technolgy wise to China and some other countries are gaining as well, so are you suggesting that we sit on our hands and just let it happen? Mankind has always looked to explore, and if you don't believe that, then tell me that you would turn down a free trip to some exotic island because you have already seen the pictures...

Brock
07-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Is the current incident due to a failure in the SRB? I know the other 2 catasrophes were related. I thought this incident was related to the heat tiles.

They should still make it though. Hell, Apollo 13's tiles were most likely damaged and they made it back.

As I understand it, the foam that falls off of the SRB tanks will damage the tiles if it contacts the shuttle during launch. So as I see it, if they could fix the tanks so that didn't happen, you wouldn't have another Columbia. They've been launching shuttles for 25 years, and this was never a problem before, so I don't see why it should be a problem now.

morphius
07-28-2005, 09:35 AM
There shuttle is falling apart going into space. They are stuck out there until they can fix the shuttle right? UNtil its fixed I don't see them reentering Earth anytime soon. I didn't say they were stuck on the shuttle, just stuck in space.
The shuttle is not falling apart, it was some foam off of the launch vehicle, the big orange thing that holds a lot of rocket fuel and sends them up.

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Be done with it then. I don't blame you. There are visionaries in this world, and then there are those who just want to stay at home and not learn about our amazing universe we are in. Kind of reminds me of the explorers of the new world, and the skeptics who thought the world was flat, and we were the bright center of the universe.

Stop, Stop, Stop. I didn't mean to sound like I was against seeing what else is in our Universe. I just don't think we need to send humans up there to do it. The Mars Rover, unmanned, maybe the greatest thing that NASA has ever accomplished. My point is that nothing has been accomplished sending HUMAN BEINGS into space. Yes, going to space has avanced our race has allowed us to see past our own world............manned shuttles hasn't.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Would you be against sending a human to mars?

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 09:38 AM
The shuttle is not falling apart, it was some foam off of the launch vehicle, the big orange thing that holds a lot of rocket fuel and sends them up.

..and think, nothing happened at all the last time we sent people up but that shuttle blew the f*ck up on reentry. This one already had parts falling off. If I was up there right now I would be scared to death......all to take supplies that a remote shuttle could have done.

morphius
07-28-2005, 09:44 AM
..and think, nothing happened at all the last time we sent people up but that shuttle blew the f*ck up on reentry. This one already had parts falling off. If I was up there right now I would be scared to death......all to take supplies that a remote shuttle could have done.
That is why they looked at all the the tiles this time and haven't seen any borken tiles. So, not stuck.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 09:48 AM
I guess I don't see what the big deal is. There have been only 3 missions in the space program that have ended with deaths, and one of those was on the launch pad. Its a risk, sure, but the astronauts know that. They take that risk because of what they can accomplish. They don't get paid much, either.

morphius
07-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Some nice stats from the rovers:

Sol 551, 2.91 miles
Sol 530, 3.45 miles

So, basically we have spent million and millions of dollars paying 2 crews on Earth for almost 2 yeas to maintain and gather data that one person by himself could have done in a day.

Area 51
07-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Yup what is really embarrasing but amazingly has never led to a lauch delay is the computers, they were first designed to go on the B-52 as an upgrade in the 70s. Peoples desktop computers in the early 90s were much more powerful. (OK this info is about 7 years old so it could be that things have been upgraded), I certainly hope so.

The computers that you make light of were designed and tested to withstand EMP from nuclear blasts. Will your desktop do the same?

Area 51
07-28-2005, 11:35 AM

The technology that involved inventing most, if not all, of the stuff mentioned did not exist before the space program. I would recommend doing a little homework before you condemn the whole programs worth.

ct
07-28-2005, 11:40 AM

Where did this come from? Who ever said they were stuck in space, besides you I mean?

The shuttle may have a damaged tile by the wheel well, but from what I understand closer investigation with the robotic arm has not seen anything. Where does this equal falling apart?

If you are this concerned about not going in space anymore, do something to convince your elected officials to stop funding. Go ahead and stick your head in the sand and enjoy your little world. For me, I enjoy learning as much as possible about ALL worlds, and how it's all inter-connected.

Area 51
07-28-2005, 11:45 AM
I guess I don't see what the big deal is. There have been only 3 missions in the space program that have ended with deaths, and one of those was on the launch pad. Its a risk, sure, but the astronauts know that. They take that risk because of what they can accomplish. They don't get paid much, either.

You risk death every time you leave your house, or worse any time you get up from your computer chair!!

Risk is part of life. Death is also a part of life, the last part.
For anyone to say that the space program is usless and nothing good has come from it is very shortsighted and may be bordering on ignorant. The facts that inovations have been derived from the programs we've had proves value in measurable as well as immeasurable ways.

If they offered you a ride on the next shuttle would you take them up on it? I would!

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 11:55 AM
The technology that involved inventing most, if not all, of the stuff mentioned did not exist before the space program. I would recommend doing a little homework before you condemn the whole programs worth.

and I recommend you read all my posts before you come to me. I stated that I don't feel we need to send PEOPLE into space. Most of the technology we have could still have been achieved by sending unmanned rockets or remote shuttles into space. I don't condem the achievments or technology that we have because of the space program. I feel that we can do a lot of that stuff with out a lot of the unnessiary risks of send people into outer space.

This is the last time I'll say this.

WE HAVE GAINED A LOT IN TERMS OF TECHNOLOGY BECAUSE OF OUR SPACE PROGRAM. YES WE WOULD NOT HAVE A LOT OF STUFF LIKE COMPUTERS, SAFTEY EQUIPMENT, AND OTHER VERY USEFUL THINGS IF WE DID NOT TRY AND ACHIEVE MAKING TO SPACE. HOWEVER NO GOOD HAS EVER COME FROM ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY HAVING A HUMAN BEING IN SPACE. I HAVE NEVER HEARD AN ASTRONUAT SAY "HOLY SH*T THAT WAS A GOOD TRIP. WE CURED CANCER UP THERE" OR "NOW THAT WE ARE BACK I WOULD LIKE TO TELL YOU THAT WE HAVE DISCOVERED A NEW FUEL THAT NEVER RUNS OUT" ANYTHING FROM THE POINT OF TAKE OFF TO LANDING IMO COULD BE DONE WITHOUT THE USE OF A LIVING BEING. SCIENTIST AND ENGINNERS ARE VERY IMPORTANT, THE ACTUAL ASTORNUATS ARE NOT.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 11:56 AM
I don't think a machine could have sucessfully repaired the hubble.

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 12:02 PM
The shuttle may have a damaged tile by the wheel well, but from what I understand closer investigation with the robotic arm has not seen anything. Where does this equal falling apart?

Didn't the last shuttle have a small something wrong with it? didn't they fine peices of that shuttle all over the f*cking country?

Stop being so ignorant. I didn't say that I was against .......you know what f*ck it. I'm done writing the same thing over and over and over again.

Go back and re-read my post please. You'll all see all I'm saying is that anything we do in space can be done without sending people up there.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Didn't the last shuttle have a small something wrong with it? didn't they fine peices of that shuttle all over the f*cking country?

From what I understand, the SRB had a problem with it, which is not a part of the shuttle. Same with the Challenger.

Brock
07-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Didn't the last shuttle have a small something wrong with it?

It was damaged during launch by the LAUNCH VEHICLE. Not because there was anything inherently wrong with the shuttle itself.

Boyceofsummer
07-28-2005, 12:14 PM

Don't let patriotism get in the way of the fact the Russians have used the same technology for over 50 years with success. They produce a system that functions well and they keep that system intact. We, on the other hand, have to 'Tim Taylor' everything involved in our space program.
Example: We needed a pen to function in space. U.S. spent who knows how much money to achieve the 'space pen.' The Russians on the other hand, used a pencil. Simplicity is genius.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Example: We needed a pen to function in space. U.S. spent who knows how much money to achieve the 'space pen.' The Russians on the other hand, used a pencil. Simplicity is genius.
I know how much money. $2.95

You are retarded.

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 12:23 PM
From what I understand, the SRB had a problem with it, which is not a part of the shuttle. Same with the Challenger.

It was damaged during launch by the LAUNCH VEHICLE. Not because there was anything inherently wrong with the shuttle itself.

Really, we're just splitting hairs here. Damage is damage. If stuff is falling off, there is a problem When you are in a plane and there is a small somthing wrong everyone freaks out. This is a f*cking space shuttle and if something, anything, is wrong or falling off there is a huge problem.

KCTitus

You are retarded.

PWNED.

Brock
Don't let patriotism get in the way of the fact the Russians have used the same technology for over 50 years with success. They produce a system that functions well and they keep that system intact. We, on the other hand, have to 'Tim Taylor' everything involved in our space program.

And the Russians have only had about 4 times the number of deaths that the US space program has had. Absolutely brilliant.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Really, we're just splitting hairs here. Damage is damage. If stuff is falling off, there is a problem When you are in a plane and there is a small somthing wrong everyone freaks out. This is a f*cking space shuttle and if something, anything, is wrong or falling off there is a huge problem.
I agree, but the problem is with the SRB (solid rocket boosters), not the Shuttle. They have been working on a redesign of the SRB for some time. I'm not sure what has been holding them up.

But, I DO think they need a complete redesign of the Space Shuttle, with RE-USABLE launch vehicles.

Soupnazi
07-28-2005, 12:24 PM

You are retarded.

Ha ha. Owned.

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 12:27 PM
I agree, but the problem is with the SRB (solid rocket boosters), not the Shuttle. They have been working on a redesign of the SRB for some time. I'm not sure what has been holding them up.

But, I DO think they need a complete redesign of the Space Shuttle, with RE-USABLE launch vehicles.

and this goes back to me saying don't waste the time when we really don't need to send people up there to continue to do nothing but float around.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 12:29 PM
and this goes back to me saying don't waste the time when we really don't need to send people up there to continue to do nothing wuth float around.
I guess thats where we disagree. Fair enough. They always send at least a few scientists aboard every STS. Good things have already came from sending man in to space. Granted they may have came without sending them, but I promise you, some day GREAT things will come from sending man to space. Probably not in our lifetimes though.

Area 51
07-28-2005, 12:30 PM
and I recommend you read all my posts before you come to me. I stated that I don't feel we need to send PEOPLE into space. Most of the technology we have could still have been achieved by sending unmanned rockets or remote shuttles into space. I don't condem the achievments or technology that we have because of the space program. I feel that we can do a lot of that stuff with out a lot of the unnessiary risks of send people into outer space.

This is the last time I'll say this.

WE HAVE GAINED A LOT IN TERMS OF TECHNOLOGY BECAUSE OF OUR SPACE PROGRAM. YES WE WOULD NOT HAVE A LOT OF STUFF LIKE COMPUTERS, SAFTEY EQUIPMENT, AND OTHER VERY USEFUL THINGS IF WE DID NOT TRY AND ACHIEVE MAKING TO SPACE. HOWEVER NO GOOD HAS EVER COME FROM ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY HAVING A HUMAN BEING IN SPACE. I HAVE NEVER HEARD AN ASTRONUAT SAY "HOLY SH*T THAT WAS A GOOD TRIP. WE CURED CANCER UP THERE" OR "NOW THAT WE ARE BACK I WOULD LIKE TO TELL YOU THAT WE HAVE DISCOVERED A NEW FUEL THAT NEVER RUNS OUT" ANYTHING FROM THE POINT OF TAKE OFF TO LANDING IMO COULD BE DONE WITHOUT THE USE OF A LIVING BEING. SCIENTIST AND ENGINNERS ARE VERY IMPORTANT, THE ACTUAL ASTORNUATS ARE NOT.

I read all of your posts, you seem sortof anal with your comments. You refuse to let facts impress you. It is obvious to me that this is an emotional issue with you and regardless of those facts your mind is set in stone.

I suppose you feel the same way about man in deep submergence vehicles exploring the bottom of the ocean. What good can come from exploration.

You would have been fun to have around in Columbus' day!!

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 12:49 PM
I read all of your posts, you seem sortof anal with your comments. You refuse to let facts impress you. It is obvious to me that this is an emotional issue with you and regardless of those facts your mind is set in stone.

I suppose you feel the same way about man in deep submergence vehicles exploring the bottom of the ocean. What good can come from exploration.

You would have been fun to have around in Columbus' day!!

What facts? I have yet to get an answer to what good has come from having having people UP THERE. Great they are "exploring", but what are they now exploring. I see why they put the first person up there, no problem with that. I question why they keep putting people in space to do the same sh*t over and over.

Columbus? Come on. Don't start saying you think I think the world is flat. This is not what I am saying. If you want to impress me send someone to Mars. Send someone to Neptune. Stop sending them on vacation around the world. If we are able to send things to other planets and learn just as much if not more without risk a life than do it.

The two most important things in space research in resent times are a unmanned rover and a telescope. Both have opened our eyes to what the rest of the universe is about. Both are done from a control room. Both have advanced us way further than anything else. Both don't have people in space.

I am impressed by what science has given us, I am impressed that people can create the things that they have. What I am not impressed with is what people have done while in space. Its like we keep sending shuttles up there and having them come back just to say we can. Do something worth while, until then cut the sh*t and stop wasting my time.

I can drive to the store over and over and until I buy something its a worthless trip.

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 12:52 PM

I am all for sending people under water because.............TADA they are actually finding something f*cking usefull. They discover new fish species. They locate lost ships. They actually make it worth it. The technology they using is actually being put to some good.

If they kept on going down there to look at the ocean floor and come up to say , "Yup, there is still sand down there" I would be pissed.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 12:57 PM
What facts? I have yet to get an answer to what good has come from having having people UP THERE. Great they are "exploring", but what are they now exploring. I see why they put the first person up there, no problem with that. I question why they keep putting people in space to do the same sh*t over and over.

Columbus? Come on. Don't start saying you think I think the world is flat. This is not what I am saying. If you want to impress me send someone to Mars. Send someone to Neptune. Stop sending them on vacation around the world. If we are able to send things to other planets and learn just as much if not more without risk a life than do it.

The two most important things in space research in resent times are a unmanned rover and a telescope. Both have opened our eyes to what the rest of the universe is about. Both are done from a control room. Both have advanced us way further than anything else. Both don't have people in space.

I am impressed by what science has given us, I am impressed that people can create the things that they have. What I am not impressed with is what people have done while in space. Its like we keep sending shuttles up there and having them come back just to say we can. Do something worth while, until then cut the sh*t and stop wasting my time.

I can drive to the store over and over and until I buy something its a worthless trip.

I understand your viewpoint. I guarantee you though, it will come. Got to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

Area 51
07-28-2005, 12:59 PM

You can't see the forest for the trees and that is really shameful.

Live in your bubble and all will be well.

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 01:00 PM
I understand your viewpoint. I guarantee you though, it will come. Got to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

Until that day comes..................it better be one hell of an omlette

Area 51
07-28-2005, 01:01 PM

You'd better explain that one to him, it's way over his head; somewhat like the space program.

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 01:02 PM
You can't see the forest for the trees and that is really shameful.

Live in your bubble and all will be well.

you are kidding right? please tell me you are joking. At least Saul sees my point. I am all for exploration, just do something while doing it.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 01:03 PM
You'd better explain that one to him, it's way over his head; somewhat like the space program.
Naw. Don't bag on cadmonkey. He's pretty damn cool, even though I really disagree with him on this issue.

tiptap
07-28-2005, 01:26 PM
I am for scaling back our human presence in space and using the money for robotic exploration. I think that the space station has not repaid its expense. There needs to be robotic exploration of the moon and Mars so that 20 years down the road the world or US can gear up to get to the moon for mining. The human effort does put a face to our space efforts and it is a shame that I lived when men were on the moon and the generation after me reads it as history. Nevertheless, the money at this stage would be better spent on robotic exploration (funding research into robotics and associated research, maintaining a base industry in rocketry and obtaining raw data on the other planets). the problem would be that the Congress would gut NASA if the human effort was greatly curtailed. (Probably because it would remove our highest flying bomber from the arsenal.)

Brock
07-28-2005, 01:38 PM
the problem would be that the Congress would gut NASA if the human effort was greatly curtailed. (Probably because it would remove our highest flying bomber from the arsenal.)

:bong:

Ultra Peanut
07-28-2005, 01:40 PM
..and think, nothing happened at all the last time we sent people up but that shuttle blew the f*ck up on reentry. Something most definitely happened last time. Things don't just disintegrate for the hell of it.

Difference being, there were TONS of cameras on Discovery this time, to make sure we'd see it if anything happened. Something happened, to a degree of severity no one's really sure of (it very well could be a common occurence on all liftoffs, nobody's sure; this is due to the fact that so many more cameras monitored this one than the ones before it), and they're now making sure it will be okay and working out contingency plans in case it's not.

You neo-nazi skinhead mother****er!

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 02:12 PM
You neo-nazi skinhead mother****er!

You f*cking c*nt!!!!!! ROFL

whoman69
07-28-2005, 02:12 PM

Challenger (OV-99)
Enterprise (OV-101)
Columbia (OV-102)
Discovery (OV-103)
Atlantis (OV-104)
Endeavour (OV-105)
Enterprise never went into space. She was just used to test its gliding ability, took off on back of a jetliner.

The fleet should be mothballed. Its equipment is out of date and it mission is past. They would have saved alot of money just using Saturn Vs. The original idea of the fleet was to save money by having a reusable craft. It never did work out that way.

Ultra Peanut
07-28-2005, 02:16 PM
You f*cking c*nt!!!!!! ROFLI was waiting; biding my time. And finally, the time was right. :D

4th and Long
07-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Enterprise never went into space. She was just used to test its gliding ability, took off on back of a jetliner.
I believe I already said that, had you bothered to read my followup post.

cadmonkey
07-28-2005, 02:21 PM
I was waiting; biding my time. And finally, the time was right. :D

and just when I erased that awful memory from my head.

"Now I really do wish I raped her....and her momma too."

Boyceofsummer
07-28-2005, 02:48 PM

You are retarded.

Claim: NASA spent millions of dollars developing an "astronaut pen" which would work in outer space while the Soviets solved the same problem by simply using pencils.

"Fisher spent over one million dollars in trying to perfect the ball point pen before he made his first successful pressurized pens in 1965. Samples were immediately sent to Dr. Robert Gilruth, Manager of the Houston Space Center, where they were thoroughly tested and approved for use in Space in September 1965. In December 1967 he sold 400 Fisher Space Pens to NASA for $2.95 each."

So Fisher lost over a million dollars for NASA. I was aware of the story. Fisher spent a miilion dollars of his own money for America. I qestion the validity of this story. The Soviets sold 50 year old designed rocket motors to us within the last few years. Now who is retarded?

Brock
07-28-2005, 02:50 PM
So Fisher lost over a million dollars for NASA. I was aware of the story. Fisher spent a miilion dollars of his own money for America. I qestion the validity of this story. The Soviets sold 50 year old designed rocket motors to us within the last few years. Now who is retarded?

It's still you.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Claim: NASA spent millions of dollars developing an "astronaut pen" which would work in outer space while the Soviets solved the same problem by simply using pencils.

"Fisher spent over one million dollars in trying to perfect the ball point pen before he made his first successful pressurized pens in 1965. Samples were immediately sent to Dr. Robert Gilruth, Manager of the Houston Space Center, where they were thoroughly tested and approved for use in Space in September 1965. In December 1967 he sold 400 Fisher Space Pens to NASA for $2.95 each."

Brilliant. You claimed the US spent alot of money developing it, which was false.

If you read on, you'll see that lead pencils in micro-gravity =not such a good idea.

Thanks for playing.

go bo
07-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Brilliant. You claimed the US spent alot of money developing it, which was false.

If you read on, you'll see that lead pencils in micro-gravity =not such a good idea.

Thanks for playing.you mean it's not good to have particles of graphite floating around all that computer equipment, or that they can be used as spears to attack other crew members?

go bo
07-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Thank you, cadet. Don't forget to salute Admiral 4th, who was learning about space and the universe long before you were born. :Dyeah, but most of what we were taught has been superceded by better data and observation techniques...

of course, i don't know what those things would be...

4th and Long
07-28-2005, 03:45 PM
yeah, but most of what we were taught has been superceded by better data and observation techniques...

of course, i don't know what those things would be...
Your theory is flawed because it assumes that I stopped learning about these things 30+ years ago. That would be incorrect. You are hereby expelled from Starfleet Academy for not paying attention in class. (Well that and your frequent trips to the bathroom to "burn one.")
:p :p :p

go bo
07-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Your theory is flawed because it assumes that I stopped learning about these things 30+ years ago. That would be incorrect. You are hereby expelled from Starfleet Academy for not paying attention in class. (Well that and your frequent trips to the bathroom to "burn one.")
:p :p :pwho the hell goes to the bathroom to smoke a joint?

you must know some really strange druggies...

4th and Long
07-28-2005, 03:58 PM
who the hell goes to the bathroom to smoke a joint?

you must know some really strange druggies...
You really need to pay better attention. We phaser people in the hallways for chewing gum around here, former cadet bo, let alone smoking the Mary Jane.

See? This is a perfect example of why you were expelled from Starfleet Academy. You're so hopped up on the reefer that simply do not pay attention to your surroudings.

:p :p :p

go bo
07-29-2005, 06:59 PM
You really need to pay better attention. We phaser people in the hallways for chewing gum around here, former cadet bo, let alone smoking the Mary Jane.

See? This is a perfect example of why you were expelled from Starfleet Academy. You're so hopped up on the reefer that simply do not pay attention to your surroudings.

:p :p :pohhhhh man...

now i KNOW you know some very strange druggies...

feeref, er... reefer does not make you "hopped up" - you're thinking of crank or crack or something...

reffer makes you laid back... http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/smoke.gif

4th and Long
07-29-2005, 07:04 PM
ohhhhh man...

now i KNOW you know some very strange druggies...

feeref, er... reefer does not make you "hopped up" - you're thinking of crank or crack or something...

reffer makes you laid back... http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/smoke.gif

Since when is ripping the door off the fridge, consuming mass quantities of junk food and drinking everything in sight considered "laid back?" :p

go bo
07-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Since when is ripping the door off the fridge, consuming mass quantities of junk food and drinking everything in sight considered "laid back?" :pheh, you forgot sending the kids for more to drink...

and, btw, i don't rip the door off the fridge - it's my friend, it's where some of my best food lives... :harumph: :harumph: :harumph: