PDA

View Full Version : Charles Robinson: Does he hate the Chiefs?

KChiefs1
07-29-2005, 02:18 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-chiefs05preview&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

While few thought Kansas City would miss the playoffs in 2004, it wasn't a complete shock. Not after the Chiefs did virtually nothing to upgrade an atrocious defense and hoped the unit would mature and respond to the coaching of defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham.

That didn't happen, and Kansas City's offense couldn't carry the load by itself, stumbling to a 3-8 record before winning four of five to end the season respectably. But even in defeat, the offense was consistently good and dominant in spurts, and it may have found the eventual replacement for Priest Holmes in running back Larry Johnson.

OFFENSE

The unit isn't getting any younger, but it's still got enough left in the tank to be among the league leaders. Holmes was amazing in only eight games, but last season's knee problem and his age (he'll be 32 in October) are causes for concern.

Holmes had been healthy for four straight seasons, and the knee issue could be a fluke – or it could be the first sign of the physical decline that often hits running backs in their early 30s. At least the Chiefs know Johnson can flourish in Holmes' absence.

The offensive line is aging right along with everyone else, but it is still one of the best groups in the NFL. Tight end Tony Gonzalez was brilliant last season. Quarterback Trent Green had arguably the best season of his career, and with receiver Freddie Mitchell replacing Johnnie Morton, Green essentially has the same set of weapons.

The offense could have a frightening scenario if Green ever went down with an injury, though. Little-used Todd Collins is the backup quarterback.

DEFENSE

The Chiefs finally made some significant upgrades, adding Kendrell Bell and rookie Derrick Johnson to the linebacking corps, and cornerback Patrick Surtain and safety Sammy Knight to the secondary. With those additions, the 31st-ranked defense has to play better – even if it takes some time to develop chemistry.

The defensive line added some depth with the signing of end Carlos Hall, but Junior Siavii and Ryan Sims will have to play better for the front four to make serious strides.

As wonderful as the defense's acquisitions were, some questions have yet to be answered. Bell is coming off an injury that forced him to miss most of last season, and there were concerns about Johnson's tackling abilities as he entered the draft. Also, Surtain still has Pro Bowl skills, but cornerbacks don't always make smooth transitions in new surroundings.

But considering the collection of talent, Kansas City's worst-case scenario would be to look anything like last season's debacle.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Punt and kick returner Dante Hall couldn't duplicate his amazing 2003 season, but he wasn't bad last year, twice scoring touchdowns on special teams. He's still the NFL's most dangerous return man.

Kicker Lawrence Tynes was inconsistent at times last season, but he has a strong leg and should develop nicely this year. Rookie punter Dustin Colquitt was drafted in the third round to fill that role for the next decade.

PREDICTION

The Chiefs will finish 7-9 and fourth in the AFC West.

Rausch
07-29-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm willing to take bets with just about anyone who thinks the Chiefs will finish dead last...

KCTitus
07-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Not after the Chiefs did virtually nothing to upgrade an atrocious defense and hoped the unit would mature and respond to the coaching of defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham.

That didn't happen, and Kansas City's offense couldn't carry the load by itself...

The Chiefs finally made some significant upgrades...

But considering the collection of talent, Kansas City's worst-case scenario would be to look anything like last season's debacle.

PREDICTION

The Chiefs will finish 7-9 and fourth in the AFC West.

I dont get it...they upgraded defensive talent and the worst case scenario would be a repeat of last year and his prediction is a repeat of last year? Does that mean he assumes the worst case scenario?

dirk digler
07-29-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm willing to take bets with just about anyone who thinks the Chiefs will finish dead last...

Yep.

BTW I could a rat's ass anymore of what the national media commatard's think. They can all suck off gochiefs for all I care.

Kylo Ren
07-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Charles Robinson = Jackass

Braincase
07-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Note to Yahoo: Just because somebody consistently finishes in the top 3 in a fantasy football league, it doesn't mean they know anything about REAL teams.

morphius
07-29-2005, 02:29 PM
I dont get it...they upgraded defensive talent and the worst case scenario would be a repeat of last year and his prediction is a repeat of last year? Does that mean he assumes the worst case scenario?
It's all the Randy Moss love the Raiders are getting.

sd4chiefs
07-29-2005, 03:51 PM
He just picked the same teams that won their division last year to win it this year, except Minnesota. What a moron.

StcChief
07-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Too bad their jobs aren't on the line with predictions.

CHIEF4EVER
07-29-2005, 04:21 PM
I care almost as much about what this clown said as I do about the atomic weight of my belly button lint.

Red Dawg
07-29-2005, 05:21 PM
That the second time we have been predicted to finish last. Hoiw stupid that sounds is beyond me. We were 7-9 with no player upgrades and now that we made major upgrades on the defense they think we will be the same? IDIOTS!

Dark Horse
07-29-2005, 05:44 PM
This clown just read Pete Prisco's drivell and changed a few words around

whoman69
07-29-2005, 05:54 PM
He just picked the same teams that won their division last year to win it this year, except Minnesota. What a moron.
Now we know he's wrong. In today's football, that almost never happens.

whoman69
07-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Note to Yahoo: Just because somebody consistently finishes in the top 3 in a fantasy football league, it doesn't mean they know anything about REAL teams.
Is that what they mean when they say he is an award winning journalist?

whoman69
07-29-2005, 05:56 PM
That's a good question that you should put up to him.

milkman
07-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Are we sure this isn't the Charlie Robinson that played Mac in "Night Court"?

Seems about as bright as him.

CoMoChief
07-29-2005, 07:59 PM
whos a bigger dickhead, Charles Robinson or Pete Prisco???