PDA

View Full Version : K.C.'s Greatest

katman1
07-31-2005, 01:56 PM
This is like walking through a minefield. My choice for greatest K.C. athletes are George Brett and Tom Watson. What's yours?

|Zach|
07-31-2005, 01:56 PM
ok.

milkman
07-31-2005, 01:58 PM
This is like walking through a minefield. My choice for greatest K.C. athletes are George Brett and Tom Watson. What's yours?

I'm a Watson fan, but golfers are not athletes.

Phobia
07-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Depends upon how you word it.

It seems you've chosen greatest KC athletic careers. If you're simply choosing athletes you must have Bo Jackson and Bobbie Bell on the list.

|Zach|
07-31-2005, 01:59 PM
No Bob Hamlin?

4th and Long
07-31-2005, 02:01 PM
I wanna be here when phillfree wraps a 9 iron around your melon for saying that. ROFL

Pants
07-31-2005, 02:01 PM
Weee papapapadapup papapadapup... I'm calling out from Scatland, I'm calling out from Scatman's world... weeepapapadapup...

milkman
07-31-2005, 02:10 PM
I wanna be here when phillfree wraps a 9 iron around your melon for saying that. ROFL

He can phillfree to get violent all he wants, but Jack Nicklaus was called the Golden Bear, in part, because of his girth when he first hit the tour.

Then there's the Walrus, Craig Stadler, John Daley, and others.

Golfers are, generally speaking, in better physical condition today, but over the years, there have been a lot of fat guys that have played on the tour.

Hell, Phil Mickelson, one of the top 3 or 4 on the tour right now, has manboobs.

FloridaChief
07-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Bobbie Bell on the list.

Sooner or later, I'm gonna get back to KC for a visit. Please to be reminding me to strangle you when I'm there...

4th and Long
07-31-2005, 02:24 PM
He can phillfree to get violent all he wants, but Jack Nicklaus was called the Golden Bear, in part, because of his girth when he first hit the tour.

Then there's the Walrus, Craig Stadler, John Daley, and others.

Golfers are, generally speaking, in better physical condition today, but over the years, there have been a lot of fat guys that have played on the tour.
Yeah I know. I just like watching golfers go ballistic about this topic. :D
Hell, Phil Mickelson, one of the top 3 or 4 on the tour right now, has manboobs.
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Herzig
07-31-2005, 02:25 PM

By definition, golfers are athletes.

ath·lete Audio pronunciation of "athlete" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (thlt)
n.

A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.

sport Audio pronunciation of "sport" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spôrt, sprt)
n.

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
2. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

4th and Long
07-31-2005, 02:27 PM

n.

A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.

n.

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
Didn't have to wait on phillfree. Herzig jumped in instead. ;)

Herzig
07-31-2005, 02:29 PM
Yeah I know. I just like watching golfers go ballistic about this topic. :D

ROFL ROFL ROFL

ROFL Calmly reading and stating defined teams... :p

One the most important attributes that I have learned from golf is to not lose my temper. I hate "hot heads" on the course. I've never been one to throw my clubs or lose my temper. I may curse a bit, but I don't lose my cool.

milkman
07-31-2005, 02:33 PM

n.

n.

The only activity that is remotely physical in golf is the walking, and now there is that physically handicapped golfer (name escapes me) that won the right to play on the tour with a golf cart.

And, aside from that, I don't give a rat's ass about the "official" definition of "sports", by my definition, golf is not a sport.

Golf is a non athletic competitive game.
I like golf.
I'm a fan of the game, but it simply isn't a sport, as defined by me.

Herzig
07-31-2005, 02:34 PM
I like golf.

Whatever you say there "Webster"

ROFL

4th and Long
07-31-2005, 02:36 PM
ROFL Calmly reading and stating defined teams... :p

One the most important attributes that I have learned from golf is to not lose my temper. I hate "hot heads" on the course. I've never been one to throw my clubs or lose my temper. I may curse a bit, but I don't lose my cool.
Does this mean you're not going to wrap a 9 iron around SideWinder's head and defend phillfree, not to mention every other "athletic" golfer in the free world!!!?

phillfree would make you do the "athletic" golfer's walk of shame for this.

:D

milkman
07-31-2005, 02:36 PM
Whatever you say there "Webster"

ROFL

Go ahead and laugh.

But are you going to tell me that John Daly is an athlete?

Herzig
07-31-2005, 02:42 PM
The only activity that is remotely physical in golf is the walking, and now there is that physically handicapped golfer (name escapes me) that won the right to play on the tour with a golf cart.

And, aside from that, I don't give a rat's ass about the "official" definition of "sports", by my definition, golf is not a sport.

I like golf.

Sure it is. A professional golfer may not have the physique of a body builder or a football player, but a golfer needs to develop strength, agility, balance, finesse, coordination, stamina, mental toughness, etc.

There are exceptions regarding physique in EVERY sport. Babe Ruth, Cecil Fielder, Gilbert Brown, The "Frig" Perry, Daly, etc...doesn't mean those guys aren't athletes though. It just means they are fat ass athletes.

Skip Towne
07-31-2005, 02:49 PM

I like golf.
Have you watched Tiger fly his ball over bunkers 275 yards away? That's physical! There aren't 10 guys in the world that can do that.

Phobia
07-31-2005, 03:03 PM
Sooner or later, I'm gonna get back to KC for a visit. Please to be reminding me to strangle you when I'm there...

How in the hell do you spell it? All I can ever remember is that it's not the traditional spelling.

Herzig
07-31-2005, 03:05 PM
How in the hell do you spell it? All I can ever remember is that it's not the traditional spelling.

Bobby Bell I believe.....just don't spell it "Boobie Bell"

Phobia
07-31-2005, 03:07 PM
I think I'll just call him Robert in the future.

Skip Towne
07-31-2005, 03:11 PM
I think I'll just call him Robert in the future.
I'll just call him "sir".

FloridaChief
07-31-2005, 03:16 PM

Yesssss. It's the non-traditional B-O-B-B-Y...

I'll just call him "sir".

Good call.

Rausch
07-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Depends upon how you word it.

It seems you've chosen greatest KC athletic careers. If you're simply choosing athletes you must have Bo Jackson and Bobbie Bell on the list.

With Bo Jackson at the top of it...

philfree
07-31-2005, 04:02 PM
This old argument. The way I play golf these days the endurance thing doesn't apply but that's not pro golf. However many of the same things that make a 300lb O linemen an athlete are some of the same things that allow a pro golfer to hit great shots over and over. The same things that allow a QB to throw a football with velocity or that allow a batter to crush home runs are also present. Balance and strength......flexibility.....vision............explosion...uhhhhh...I know there's prolly more but I think I've made my point. As with golf there are varying degrees of athletes in all sports. Tommy Watson was/is an athlete in my book. Didn't he play QB in HS?

PhilFree:arrow:

Rausch
07-31-2005, 04:04 PM
This old argument. The way I play golf these days the endurance thing doesn't apply but that's not pro golf. However many of the same things that make a 300lb O linemen an athlete are some of the same things that allow a pro golfer to hit great shots over and over. The same things that allow a QB to throw a football with velocity or that allow a batter to crush home runs are also present. Balance and strength......flexibility.....vision............explosion...uhhhhh...I know there's prolly more but I think I've made my point. As with golf there are varying degrees of athletes in all sports. Tommy Watson was/is an athlete in my book. Didn't he play QB in HS?

PhilFree:arrow:

Bo Knows golf, thus, your argument is moot...

Mosbonian
07-31-2005, 04:19 PM
While I agree that Brett and Watson would be KC' best Sport's Celebrities, I would have to say that, IMO, you left out two of KC's best athletes.....Frank White and Satchel Paige.

While George was the driver of the Big Blue Bus, Frank White and his Golden Glove saved a great many ballgames with a range that most of todays 2nd basemen dream they could have. Frank, in his best seasons would get errors for almost making plays that most second basemen wouldn't come near sniffing. Even better was the fact that White became an offensive threat later in his career.

Satchel Paige came back to baseball and was just as effective at an age that most players are attending Alumni Games.

mmaddog

Bowser
07-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Brian Shay, dipshits.

milkman
07-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Sure it is. A professional golfer may not have the physique of a body builder or a football player, but a golfer needs to develop strength, agility, balance, finesse, coordination, stamina, mental toughness, etc.

There are exceptions regarding physique in EVERY sport. Babe Ruth, Cecil Fielder, Gilbert Brown, The "Frig" Perry, Daly, etc...doesn't mean those guys aren't athletes though. It just means they are fat ass athletes.

OK, so you are essentially saying that any activity that falls into the definition that you've posted is a sport?

milkman
07-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Nope. I will quote what I stated from the dictionary as a sport. Under that definition, golf is a sport.

"sport Audio pronunciation of "sport" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spôrt, sprt)
n.

2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively."

My question is, do you agree with this definition?

Herzig
07-31-2005, 06:35 PM
My question is, do you agree with this definition?

Sure.

milkman
07-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Sure.

So, then you would agree that Charades and Twister are sports?

Herzig
07-31-2005, 06:42 PM

No. No physical exertion is required. Any golfer will tell you that after 18 holes, they are tired...even more so if they walk. Hell, Skip can only make it 14 holes...and that's while riding in a cart.

"An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively."

ChiTown
07-31-2005, 06:42 PM

Twister is a helluva sport when you're drunk and playing with 3 big-tittied hookers..................wait. Sorry. Nevermind

milkman
07-31-2005, 07:12 PM
No. No physical exertion is required. Any golfer will tell you that after 18 holes, they are tired...even more so if they walk. Hell, Skip can only make it 14 holes...and that's while riding in a cart.

"An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively."

So in other words, you are being selective in definitions.

Because the 1st definition doesn't set any exertion requirement.

Under that definition, Charades and Twister are sports.

Herzig
07-31-2005, 07:15 PM
So in other words, you are being selective in definitions.

Because the 1st definition doesn't set any exertion requirement.

Under that definition, Charades and Twister are sports.

I would tend to agree the 2nd of the two defines sport more accurately. I'm sure some would consider those games sports, but I do not.

Here's where I got it from...there are like 9 differnent uses for the word sport in the English language(not counting Sidwinder's definition).

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sport

milkman
07-31-2005, 07:17 PM
I would tend to agree the 2nd of the two defines sport more accurately. I'm sure some would consider those games sports, but I do not.

So you are disagreeing with Webster's definition of sports?

gblowfish
07-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Topic needs some definition. You mean people who are From KC or Live in KC? Or just played ball in KC? If that's the question, and it's based on their success as an athlete, I'd have to nominate by category:

Originally from KC:
Maurice Green
Frank White
Anthony Peeler
David Cone
Tom Watson

Lived/Made Home in KC:
Joe Carter
George Brett
Len Dawson
Bobby Bell
Satchel Paige
Buck Buchanan
Will Shields
Deron Cherry
Bill Maas
DT

Played ball in KC:
Bo Jackson
Tiny Archibald
Reggie Jackson
Catfish Hunter
Bret Saberhagen
Johnny Damon
Joe Montana
Marcus Allen
Priest Holmes
Willie Lanier
Hank Stram

Herzig
07-31-2005, 07:22 PM
So you are disagreeing with Webster's definition of sports?

Here's Websters...I don't see all much of a difference.

Main Entry: 2sport
Function: noun
1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in
2 a : PLEASANTRY, JEST b : often mean-spirited jesting : MOCKERY, DERISION
3 a : something tossed or driven about in or as if in play b : LAUGHINGSTOCK
4 a : SPORTSMAN b : a person considered with respect to living up to the ideals of sportsmanship <a good sport> <a poor sport> c : a companionable person
5 : an individual exhibiting a sudden deviation from type beyond the normal limits of individual variation usually as a result of mutation especially of somatic tissue

milkman
07-31-2005, 07:29 PM
Here's Websters...I don't see all much of a difference.

Main Entry: 2sport
Function: noun
1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in
2 a : PLEASANTRY, JEST b : often mean-spirited jesting : MOCKERY, DERISION
3 a : something tossed or driven about in or as if in play b : LAUGHINGSTOCK
4 a : SPORTSMAN b : a person considered with respect to living up to the ideals of sportsmanship <a good sport> <a poor sport> c : a companionable person
5 : an individual exhibiting a sudden deviation from type beyond the normal limits of individual variation usually as a result of mutation especially of somatic tissue

So this is Webster's.

My question was whether you would disagree that with at least part of the definition that you provided earlier, specifically the one that doesn't set any exertion requirement?

And now, as an extenton to that question, is there any part of this definition that you would disagree with, or disregard?

Herzig
07-31-2005, 07:32 PM
So this is Webster's.

My question was whether you would disagree that with at least part of the definition that you provided earlier, specifically the one that doesn't set any exertion requirement?

And now, as an extenton to that question, is there any part of this definition that you would disagree with, or disregard?

It would depend on how one uses the word sport....and in what context you use that word.

As far as North American sports go, most are governed by an organizing body like the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, PGA, PBA, etc...I would say that bowling and golf qualify as sports.

milkman
07-31-2005, 07:35 PM
It would depend on how one uses the word sport....and in what context you use that word.

So, your answer, in other words, is yes?

Herzig
07-31-2005, 07:37 PM
So, your answer, in other words, is yes?

Yes. Golf is a sport.

Skip Towne
07-31-2005, 07:38 PM

As far as North American sports go, most are governed by an organizing body like the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, PGA, PBA, etc...I would say that bowling and golf qualify as sports.
Give it up Greg. You have entered the world of convoluted reasoning as seen by Sidewinder.

Herzig
07-31-2005, 07:40 PM
Give it up Greg. You have entered the world of convoluted reasoning as seen by Sidewinder.

I know...Milkman's been that way for years. I'd bet money that he's had arguements with his toaster.

milkman
07-31-2005, 07:40 PM
Yes. Golf is a sport.

ROFL

And I am doing exactly the same thing as you.
The only difference is that I disregard more than you.

Golf is not a sport.

Herzig
07-31-2005, 07:41 PM
ROFL

And I am doing exactly the same thing as you.
The only difference is that I disregard more than you.

Golf is not a sport.

Not according to the dictionary. ROFL

FloridaChief
07-31-2005, 07:45 PM
Please. Bald men arguing over a comb. Seriously, who gives a shit about golf?

Skip Towne
07-31-2005, 07:47 PM
I know...Milkman's been that way for years. I'd bet money that he's had arguements with his toaster.
Hahahahahahaha. Rep

milkman
07-31-2005, 07:49 PM

Convoluted or not, my point is that people don't adhere strictly to the dictionary definition of sports.

And of course, my reasoning is going to be convoluted.
I only have a 5th grade education, remember.

milkman
07-31-2005, 07:51 PM
Not according to the dictionary. ROFL

Then, according to the dictionary, Charades and Twister are sports.

milkman
07-31-2005, 07:53 PM

No, I haven't.
But if it ever disagrees with me, you can bet the house that I will.

Logical
07-31-2005, 08:00 PM
How in the hell do you spell it? All I can ever remember is that it's not the traditional spelling.I guess I am unaware of the traditional spelling.

But it is Bobby Bell.

Mosbonian
07-31-2005, 08:11 PM
Please. Bald men arguing over a comb.

We are not bald......

We are follicley-challenged.. :harumph:

Don't make me bring down the ACLU on you!

mmaddog

Skip Towne
07-31-2005, 08:14 PM
Convoluted or not, my point is that people don't adhere strictly to the dictionary definition of sports.

And of course, my reasoning is going to be convoluted.
I only have a 5th grade education, remember.
Yes I remember, and it shows.

milkman
07-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Yes I remember, and it shows.

Thanks!

4th and Long
07-31-2005, 08:32 PM
I only have a 5th grade education
Don't let that get ya down. You can always be ...
http://www.misterpants.com/01/images/maxbaerjr.jpg
A double naught spie!

milkman
07-31-2005, 08:34 PM
A double naught spie!

ROFL

patteeu
07-31-2005, 08:35 PM
Topic needs some definition. You mean people who are From KC or Live in KC? Or just played ball in KC? If that's the question, and it's based on their success as an athlete, I'd have to nominate by category:

Originally from KC:
Maurice Green
Frank White
Anthony Peeler
David Cone
Tom Watson

Albert Pujols belongs on that list.

Skip Towne
07-31-2005, 08:43 PM
A double naught spie!
Don't be too hard on Jethro. His dad, Max Baer, is a former heavyweight champion of the world. Which begs the question "Is boxing a sport"?

KC Jones
07-31-2005, 08:47 PM
Satchel Paige

Braincase
07-31-2005, 09:52 PM
Redrum 69 smoked me, wanted me to tell everybody that he think Tommy Morrison is the best evar.