PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Carl Peterson 7.31.05

Fire Me Boy!
07-31-2005, 07:17 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/07/31/qa_with_carl_peterson2/

Q&A with CARL PETERSON
Jul 31, 2005, 7:25:11 PM

TRAINING CAMP

PETERSON: “We are happy to announce that we have reached an agreement in principle with (LB) Derrick Johnson, our number one pick. This would not have been done without Denny Thum, our Assistant General Manager who spent countless hours on the phone with these principles. He and I just reached an agreement about 20 minutes ago over there in the gardener’s shed. Another great place to negotiate.

“I just got off the phone with Derrick and he is very pleased, excited, and anxious to get to camp. We will fly him in the first thing in the morning and have another announcement. We have agreed in principal on a five-year contract, no voidables. We are pleased to get this done. All of the chickens are now in the hen house.”

Q: Is the gardener’s shed a better place to negotiate than the local Shoney’s?

PETERSON: “We have done Perkins. When camp begins you got to take what you can find. Anyway, we are pleased about getting it done. I think it was a very professional negotiation. Surprising to some of you I know, but no tempers flared. No profanity was exchanged. It was just a continuous process to get it done. The obvious is with the other players coming in, the number 13, the number 14, number 16 and I think number 18. I think Derrick’s representatives felt comfortable with were we were and what we were doing.”

Q: Did you find this year a little different with the Collective Bargaining Agreement set to expire?

PETERSON: “Sure. They asked for two options and no signing bonuses. They were trying to cram what they have done in the last six or seven-year deals in to a five-year pro-ration which is very difficult. This contract not unlike a lot of them in the draft is a little different than the ones we have done in the past. We wanted a five-year set contract with no voidables. We were able to do that and I hope can come perform for us to make all of us, including myself, Dick (Vermeil) and all of the fans in Kansas City very proud of Derrick Johnson.

“He is excited. He cannot wait to get up here. I said, ‘you are behind by about seven practices. You have some catching up to do and get ready to take some good-hearted ribbing from your teammates because I am sure that is going to come.”

Q: Is he going to practice tomorrow afternoon?

PETERSON: “We will probably have to look at him and see where he is at physically. He assures me he is in great cardiovascular condition. We will let our coaches and trainers determine that, but if he we will put him into the mix. Like we said to Craphonso (Thorpe) who said, ‘do I get my three days in no pads when I come in?’ I said, ‘Son, that was at Florida State. You missed your three days here.’ This is the National Football League and you jump in. We don’t want to get anybody hurt.

Q: How important was it to get him here in the first week?

PETERSON: “I think it is always good if you can do that. First of all there is no correlation what so ever, you can go back and look at our specific to number one draft picks holding out and a team’s record. I know the stats substantiate that. The person who gets hurt is the player and it usually affects his play time the first year. I never really get too concerned until frankly they start missing games. Obviously, we’re still some ways away from that. I would anticipate he’ll take a few snaps in our first game at Minnesota.”

Q: Do you have any apprehension about G Will Shields’ status?

PETERSON: “No, not at this point. I’ve talked to the doctors thoroughly. We’ve looked at all of the MRI’s and so forth. It’s something that he’s had through the years. Maybe we just haven’t publicized it or it hasn’t been that publicized before. My hope and thought is to have him ready on September 11th. I don’t think he’s going to forget the offensive playbook after playing 13 years and 10 Pro Bowls.”

Q: Freddie Mitchell is having his knee scoped. Are you going to go out and get another wide receiver?

PETERSON: “No, we’re at 91 (players) right now. Frankly, we’re going to have to release somebody when we formally sign Derrick Johnson. I think the quality and depth of our wide receivers right now is very strong and I don’t see any necessity in trying to change that. The other thing is we’re being very optimistic that Freddie’s going to get back with us very quickly. Hopefully, it’s just a slight tear in the lateral meniscus and it’ll be a arthroscopic surgery and he’ll be back here quickly.”

Chiefs Pantalones
07-31-2005, 07:20 PM
If Freddie misses all of or a good portion of training camp, he's gone.

nascher
07-31-2005, 07:24 PM
doubt it

if he isn't seriously injured he should make the team other than Eddie we have zero WR's with NFL starting experience.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-31-2005, 07:26 PM
But as DV says, "You can't make the club, in the tub."

gblowfish
07-31-2005, 08:04 PM
The Rufus Dawes Enhanced Version:
Q&A with RUFUS DAWES

TRAINING CAMP

DAWES: “We are happy to announce that we have consummated in principle with (LB) Derrick Johnson, our number one pick. Boy, am I freakin' tired! This would not have been done without my Capo Denny Thum, who spent countless hours on the phone, hours outside the Johnson home in the spreader bushes, hours following Derrick, his family and his scumball agent in a black Denali with darkly tinted windows. Derrick and I just reached an agreement about 20 minutes ago over there in the gardener’s shed, behind the end zone stands on the River Falls Practice Field. Another great place to negotiate. It was dark. It was dank. Filled with stale, earthy air. Filled with potting soil and manure. He wanted out in the worst way. I made him an offer, he couldn't refuse."

"I just got off the phone with Derrick and he is anxious to get to camp. Anything....anything but sit in more contract negotiation meetings. We will fly him in first thing in the morning, coach, on Southwest Airlines, from Austin to Minneapolis with stops in Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Kansas City and Omaha. We have agreed in principal on a five-year contract, no voidables. We are pleased to get this done. All of the rats are now in the storeroom, so to speak.”

Q: Is the gardener’s shed a better place to negotiate than the local Shoney’s?

DAWES: “I've consummated people in a booth at Perkins. I've consummated on a table in Denny's. I've done a "consummation a trois" at the Waffle House. Hell, I even did Johnnie Morton at an Interstate Rest Stop. When camp begins you got to take what you can find. Anyway, we are pleased about doing it with Derrick. I think it was a very professional negotiation. Surprising to some of you I know, but no tempers flared. No profanity was exchanged. Denny Thum bound me to my folding chair with duct tape, blindfolded me and stuck a rag in my mouth. It was just a continuous process to get it done. The obvious is with the other players coming in, the number 13, the number 14, number 16 and I think number 18. I think Derrick’s representatives felt comfortable with where we were and what we were doing. In a shed, full of manure and potting soil, slowly suffocating.

Q: Did you find this year a little different with the Collective Bargaining Agreement set to expire?

DAWES: “Sure. They asked for two options and no signing bonuses. They were trying to cram what they have done in the last six or seven-year deals in to a five-year pro-ration which is very difficult. They asked for guarantees. They asked for a shrubbery. They asked us to cut down the largest tree in River Falls with a herring. We wanted a five-year set contract with no voidables. We were able to do that and I hope Richard Cheese, my favorite lounge singer, can come perform for us to make all of us, including myself, Dick (Vermeil) and all of the fans in Kansas City very proud. What was the question again? Oh, the guy I just consummated... Well, He is excited. He cannot wait to get up here. Although it takes forever on Southwest, as many of you know. I said, ‘you are behind by about seven practices. You have some catching up to do and get ready to take some good-hearted ribbing and a midnight blanket party from your teammates because I am sure that is going to come. I'll organize it tonight!”

Q: Is he going to practice tomorrow afternoon?

DAWES: “We will probably have to look at him and see where he is at physically. He assures me he is in great cardiovascular condition. I asked him to do crunches until he puked, but he refused. We will let our coaches and trainers determine that, and if he can outrun Mike Maslowski in a forty yard dash, tied to a blocking sled, we will put him into the mix. Like we said to Crappy (Thorpe) who said, ‘do I get my three days in no pads when I come in?’ I said, ‘Son, that was at Florida State. You missed your three days here. Now drop and give me fifty one armed pushups, you inconsequential rookie poop stain. You ONLY speak when spoken to, unnerstand?’ This is the National Football League and you jump in. We don’t want to get anybody hurt. Anybody that matters."

Q: How important was it to get him here in the first week?

DAWES: “I think it is always good if you can do that. Obviously, I had to give him his signing bonus, in cash, which I've had spread across my mattress at the Red Roof Inn over the past week. So it's a little gooey and gamey. First of all there is no correlation what so ever, you can go back and look at our specific to number one draft picks holding out and a team’s record. Here, let me draw you a diagram on this chalkboard: (sound of squeaking chalk) Multiply days missed by draft position, calculate as a percentage of the number of "F-Bombs" dropped on the draft pick and his agent, then divide again by the number of Moped accidents during camp, less the number of cheeseburgers consumed by Bob Gretz during that same period. I know the stats substantiate that, as you know statistics never lie. The person who gets hurt is the player and it usually affects his play time the first year. We make sure of that. Just ask Ryan Sims. I never really get too concerned until frankly they start missing games. Obviously, we’re still some ways away from that. I would anticipate he’ll take a few snaps in our first game at Minnesota. We'll ask him to decapitate Dante Culpepper.”

Q: Do you have any apprehension about Will Shields’ status?

DAWES: “No, not at this point. I’ve talked to the doctors thoroughly. We’ve looked at all of the MRI’s, CAT scans, spewtum and stool samples and so forth. It’s something that he’s had through the years. Maybe we just haven’t publicized it or it hasn’t been that publicized before. Surely the Chiefs would not withold information from the media or the fans. My hope and thought is to have him ready on September 11th. It's the anniversary of the attack on New York, y'know? And guess who we play? The Jets! How perfect is that? I don’t think he’s going to forget the offensive playbook after playing 13 years and 10 Pro Bowls. Unless he takes a really good kick to the helmet."

Q: Freddie Mitchell is having his knee scoped. Are you going to go out and get another wide receiver?

DAWES: “No, we’re at 91 players right now. As my old pal Marty might say, Quite frankly, we’re going to have to evacuate on someone when we formally sign Derrick Johnson. I think the quality and depth of our wide receivers right now is very strong and I don’t see any necessity in trying to change that. Frankly, I'm tired of working and spending money. I'm sure Richard Smith will step up and be the star we all expect him to be. The other thing is we’re being very optimistic that Freddie’s going to get back with us very quickly. Hopefully, it’s just a slight tear in the lateral meniscus and it’ll be a arthroscopic surgery and he’ll be back here quickly. We'll just go in with a single edged razor blade, a hot soldering iron and some bactine. Zip Zip, Snip Snip, and he'll be fine."

TEX
07-31-2005, 09:50 PM
If Freddie misses all of or a good portion of training camp, he's gone.Yep. What is it with this team and trying to keep Wr's healthy?

Reaper16
07-31-2005, 11:10 PM
Yep. What is it with this team and trying to keep Wr's healthy?

It's like the Royals and pitching.

Damnit trainers!!! :cuss: :banghead: :mad:

J Diddy
07-31-2005, 11:14 PM
But as DV says, "You can't make the club, in the tub."

I tell my wife she can't lick my balls in the hall......

Unless she's in the hall.

Crush
08-01-2005, 12:44 AM
Who cares? This is Wilson and Parker's year, damnit!!!! :cuss:

whoman69
08-01-2005, 01:59 PM
If FredEx makes the team then we have less talent than I believed, or DV is just going with him because he's a vet. We've got to have a better 3rd WR on our team.

shaneo69
08-01-2005, 09:45 PM
The Rufus Dawes Enhanced Version:
Q&A with RUFUS DAWES

Q: Do you have any apprehension about Will Shields’ status?

DAWES: “No, not at this point. I’ve talked to the doctors thoroughly. We’ve looked at all of the MRI’s, CAT scans, spewtum and stool samples and so forth. It’s something that he’s had through the years. Maybe we just haven’t publicized it or it hasn’t been that publicized before. Surely the Chiefs would not withold information from the media or the fans.

Classic ROFL

You should archive all of the Carl Q&A's on your website.

gblowfish
08-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Classic ROFL

You should archive all of the Carl Q&A's on your website.
We aim to please! Page to the bottom and check out some of King Carl's greatest hits:
http://www.georgeblowfish.com/Chiefspage8.html