PDA

View Full Version : Chad Pennington's arm is weak

KChiefs1
08-01-2005, 02:08 PM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/11228730686330.xml&coll=1

Jets notebook: They're lacking strength at QB

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Throwing for the third consecutive day for the first time since undergoing surgery Feb. 8 to repair his torn right rotator cuff, Jets quarterback Chad Pennington's arm is clearly weak, even for Chad Pennington.

And, for the first time, coach Herman Edwards admitted Pennington had "big-time" surgery. In the past, the Jets have tried to downplay the extent of Pennington's surgery, saying he had only a slight tear and he'll be ready for the opener, no problem.

Pennington, never known for his arm strength and unavailable for comment, underthrew both of his deep passes (approximately 40 yards) during yesterday's afternoon practice, with one being intercepted and another caught by a leaping Justin McCareins over diminutive cornerback Ray Mickens. On Saturday, Pennington underthrew another deep ball, and it was intercepted by cornerback David Barrett.

Iowanian
08-01-2005, 02:12 PM
I like Pennington's potential, but I hope it doesn't kick back in until...say....week 2.

siberian khatru
08-01-2005, 02:13 PM
We're 1-0!

Mile High Mania
08-01-2005, 02:29 PM
The fact that Coles is back in NY should be huge.. Moss simply sucked.

Sam
08-01-2005, 02:29 PM
I don't think he's going to be ready week 1. To me, it doesn't lok like the Jets will be that much a problem for Chiefs.

Just my $.02.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Surtain is going to pwn him.

chagrin
08-01-2005, 02:36 PM
I like Pennington's potential, but I hope it doesn't kick back in until...say....week 2.

I concur with the gentleman form Terra Firma...Chad is a good leader, but I sure hate it for his shoulder right about now

buddha
08-01-2005, 02:52 PM
The fact that Coles is back in NY should be huge.. Moss simply sucked.

Q: And what did Coles do in Washington?
A: A lot less than Moss!

Saying Pennington has a weak arm is like saying water is wet or fire is hot.

Amnorix
08-01-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm going to cut against the grain a bit. I think the Jets are going to FALL this year. Less than .500.

1. Penny just ain't all that.

2. CuMar has no good backup this year, and HAS to show his age sooner or later (right, RIGHT?)

3. I like Lavernues Coles alot, but with Penny as the QB, I don't think they'll get Coles' full value.

4. Offensive playmakers -- CuMar (old), Coles and....???

5. I didn't see anything special that they did this offseason to excite me. Getting Coles is good. Other than that, their draft was mediocre to say the least, IMHO.

6. The AFC East ain't getting any easier.

7. Tougher schedule this year (AFC West vs. AFC North last year, and NFC South versus the pathetic NFC West last year).

Mecca
08-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Pennington should be nicknamed "noodle arm" it was horrible before he was ever injured. If he played on the west coast it wouldn't be a big deal but on the east coast his arm is a massive liability.

Soupnazi
08-01-2005, 03:35 PM
2. CuMar has no good backup this year, and HAS to show his age sooner or later (right, RIGHT?)

Many Chiefs fans would tell you that his backup, Derrick Blaylock, is quite capable.

Otter
08-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Pennington should be nicknamed "noodle arm" it was horrible before he was ever injured. If he played on the west coast it wouldn't be a big deal but on the east coast his arm is a massive liability.

ROFL

WTF are you talking about?

Amnorix
08-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Many Chiefs fans would tell you that his backup, Derrick Blaylock, is quite capable.

Mebbe, but he ain't Lamont Jordan, who is definitely solid. And he ain't CuMar. And he ain't Ricky Williams, Corey Dillon, Willis, McGahee, Travis Henry, LT, Priest or Jamal Lewis either.

So, umm, yeah.

TRR
08-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Mebbe, but he ain't Lamont Jordan, who is definitely solid. And he ain't CuMar. And he ain't Ricky Williams, Corey Dillon, Willis, McGahee, Travis Henry, LT, Priest or Jamal Lewis either.

So, umm, yeah.

I think Blaylock will be every bit as productive as Lamont Jordan was in NY.

beavis
08-01-2005, 04:19 PM

So, umm, yeah.
He also isn't running behind our line anymore.

KCChiefsMan
08-01-2005, 04:20 PM
I don't think he's going to be ready week 1. To me, it doesn't lok like the Jets will be that much a problem for Chiefs.

Just my $.02.

The Jets are no easy win. My $0.02

philfree
08-01-2005, 04:22 PM

So, umm, yeah.

Blaylock is faster then all those guys and probably a better reciever then any of them too. Wether he can be a feature back remains to be seen but he's a great back up and 3rd down back.

PhilFree:arrow:

Red Dawg
08-01-2005, 04:42 PM
That's not news. His arm has always been weak. The bad news is this will open the door for the Pats to take the division again. Jets are the only hope of stopping them but if Chad's arm is even worse then the Pats will win it in a walk.

cdcox
08-01-2005, 04:47 PM
I've been saying Pennigton's arm is too weak to be a bigtime QB for two seasons.

tiptap
08-01-2005, 04:53 PM
He also isn't running behind our line anymore.

The NYJ line last year was like the Chiefs line two years ago. Two years ago we ran 33% to left, right and middle. Last year we ran only 17% to the right. We had the horses, two all pros on the left so we were productive but the NYJ last year ran against good defenses and did so well across the line. They were a more productive line running any direction than the Chief's line. (No wonder Shields on the right side is thinking about retiring.) Now it is true that this year the Jets has lost THEIR RT so their production might drop off running that direction. But it will be a real test of the run defense in defensing the Jets. They are capable of power as well as finesse running.