PDA

View Full Version : Q&A Dick Vermeil 8/2

TRR
08-02-2005, 09:58 AM
Morning
Q: Any news on Will Shields?

DICK VERMEIL: “He’s going to get himself in shape and see how it goes.”

Q: When do you expect him back on the practice field?

VERMEIL: “I don’t know.”

Q: How was practice today?

VERMEIL: “OK, the defense is getting better; it was very disruptive to everything the offense wanted to do. They’ve got to experience some success. When your defense is continually confronted with one of the best offenses in football sometimes it takes a while to be disruptive. Today they were disruptive.”

Q: How is Rich Scanlon doing?

VERMEIL: “He’s doing well. Rich Scanlon is a good football player and he did well and has been doing well.”

Q: So it’s possible you could have three new starters at linebacker?

VERMEIL: “It’s possible we could, yeah. It’s hard to project that but anything is a possibility when there’s some talent.”

Q: Kawika Mitchell has responded to the challenge reasonably well, hasn’t he?

VERMEIL: “Oh yeah, he’s done a good job. He’s an improved football player today. If we had to play a league opener tomorrow he’d be a better player than when he finished the season last year.”

Q: Where have you seen the improvement?

VERMEIL: “More aggressive, more reaction without having to think, less hesitation, more intensity.”

Q: How did Derrick Johnson do today?

VERMEIL: “Good. He did a good job. I’d say he did a good job; he flashed into a couple of plays. You can see his physical skills.”

Q: Did he look a little winded?

VERMEIL: “I don’t know but everybody else was so he ought to have been too.”

Q: Back to Kawika, Gunther (Cunningham) said that tackling was a concern last year. I guess it’s important to see how that’s improved when you get into a pre-season game, right?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, because we don’t scrimmage ourselves. So, he doesn’t get a chance to turn it 100% loose until pre-season games. But I anticipate being very pleased with how he plays in the first pre-season game.”

bkkcoh
08-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Morning

VERMEIL: “He’s doing well. Rich Scanlon is a good football player and he did well and has been doing well.”

VERMEIL: “It’s possible we could, yeah. It’s hard to project that but anything is a possibility when there’s some talent.”

Someone else has jumped on the Scanlon bandwagon. :hmmm:

HemiEd
08-02-2005, 10:02 AM

How many helmets has he bent? :doh!:

ptlyon
08-02-2005, 10:03 AM

Not bad for a third stringer...

TRR
08-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Should we take DV's quote on Shields as a good thing, or bad?

Andoverer
08-02-2005, 10:10 AM

Holy Cow!
Rich Scanlon is possibly going to start in three linebacker positions!
:p

tomahawk kid
08-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Should we take DV's quote on Shields as a good thing, or bad?

I don't find it particularly encouraging.

ct
08-02-2005, 10:21 AM
I don't find it particularly encouraging.

me either

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Here's my take on all of this .....

Shields will be fine by Sept.

Rich will end up our # 2 MLB

DJ will start with Bell and Mitchell .......

Mitchell will do better this year after a whole year to learn from Gun.....

royr17
08-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Like I say its Mitchells job to lose and I feel the only reason Scanlon is running third team is cause where he was over in NFLE and they dont wanna wear him down cause its a long season.

So I see him making the squad while you boomer pimps think boomer will instead of rich, i see rich making it and boomer on PS if Maz is healthy.

go bo
08-02-2005, 11:14 AM
maz is done, even if his knee is ok...

way too slow for this defense...

we have speed in all 3 starting lb's...

and speed in our 2d string mlb and our 3rd string mlb...

i think maz is done...

go bo
08-02-2005, 11:14 AM
oh, and that thing with shields scares me to death...

RedThat
08-02-2005, 11:21 AM
maz is done, even if his knee is ok...

way too slow for this defense...

we have speed in all 3 starting lb's...

and speed in our 2d string mlb and our 3rd string mlb...

i think maz is done...

I agree...Maz is done...especially if he can't practice a year and a half after his injury.

Coach
08-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Roy17, I have to disagree. Boomer will NOT be on the PS, either you like it or not. Boomer is a welcome addition to our special teams coverage, and it's possible that both Scanlon and Boomer will be flip-flopping the depth chart, depending on a certain week and how they perform.

Bottom line though is, I cannot see Boomer in the PS.

ROYC75
08-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Roy17, I have to disagree. Boomer will NOT be on the PS, either you like it or not. Boomer is a welcome addition to our special teams coverage, and it's possible that both Scanlon and Boomer will be flip-flopping the depth chart, depending on a certain week and how they perform.

Bottom line though is, I cannot see Boomer in the PS.

Bottom line is both will be on the 53 and active each week for backup and ST's play.

Again, Maz is done........... Thanks for the effort Maz. :clap:

Coach
08-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Bottom line is both will be on the 53 and active each week for backup and ST's play.

Again, Maz is done........... Thanks for the effort Maz. :clap:

Agreed.

Scanfan55
08-02-2005, 12:02 PM
I agree...Maz is done...especially if he can't practice a year and a half after his injury.

He did practice. Not with the team. He was doing similar drills before practice started. I'm in RF right now.

whoman69
08-02-2005, 03:15 PM
I would have to say the 3 new linebackers statement is pure DV. He doesn't really say anything, but he doesn't rule it out either.