PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here live or been to Callaway County in Missouri?

KChiefs1
08-02-2005, 01:42 PM
http://www.progressivefarmer.com/farmer/bestplaces/article_callaway.html

Located almost in the middle of the U.S., Callaway County is a special place, as any Callawegian (that's what a native calls himself) will tell you. The land is scenic, from the fertile plains in the nort h to the rolling hills and bluffs bordering the Missouri River at the southern border. Jefferson City, the state capital, is just on the other side of the river. And a few miles to the west is Columbia, where the main campus for the University of Missouri sits. For big cities, take your pick: St. Louis and Kansas City are both nearby. Callaway County can boast of a low crime rate, good school systems and a low cost of living. Though it's g rowing fast, the county has kept its warm, rural charm.

Been thinking about getting out of the big city & moving to a nice rural area & this is ranked as the 4th best county....anyone live there or been there to give me some more details about it?

thanks!

luv
08-02-2005, 01:45 PM
My brother was once in Fulton Correctional Facility. I'm sure he thought his stay in Callaway County was charming.

luv
08-02-2005, 01:47 PM
http://callaway.county.missouri.org/

In all seriousness, it sounds like a nice place. Here's a site you should check out.

Rausch
08-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Stay the **** away from Fulton. It's a coke/crack/meth hellhole.

And I don't know that I'd consider 2+ hours of drive time "nearby."

As far as finding a small town both Callaway and Cole counties are good. Just STFA from Miller county...

Sydd
08-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Lived in Fulton for a couple of years when I was going to Westminster. Had a great view of Callaway County Nuclear Reactor out my window.

penguinz
08-02-2005, 02:04 PM
If you move to Callaway you will have to get a pet bullfrog.

Death Nebula
08-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Been there...

KChiefs1
08-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Stay the **** away from Fulton. It's a coke/crack/meth hellhole.

Just STFA from Miller county...

Please further expound your point of view.... :hmmm:

KChiefs1
08-02-2005, 02:51 PM
If you move to Callaway you will have to get a pet bullfrog.

why?

KChiefs1
08-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Been there...

What did you think? :)

seclark
08-02-2005, 02:53 PM
been through there alot, and know several people. be careful driving around auxvasse. major speed trap.
i've got some writings at the kingdom city truck stop mens room. feel free to browse.
sec

penguinz
08-02-2005, 02:56 PM
why?Why not? You think there is a better pet to have in the middle of no where?

Slayer Diablo
08-02-2005, 11:37 PM
I've known a couple of people from there. FWIH, it's an interesting place. And ya know, it was the only county in Missouri to secede from the Union during the Civil War...how they rejoined, I'm not entirely sure--especially because they used secession as an excuse to remain neutral rather than to join the Confederacy.

Mr Grimm
08-03-2005, 02:02 AM
sure im kinda late on this but heres my 2.

i live in cole county (borders callaway). callaway is pretty much fulton Mo., which has even less than jefferson city. not a bad place to live, if thats all your wanting to do. its closer to columbia than jeff, and were 30 min south.

tickets, well, lets just say save yourself the money because callaway likes to piss off big time lawyers on purpose, or so says the Ast. prosecutor. YOU WILL NOT GET OUT OF A TICKET OR GET IT REDUCED.
or so history has told me.

but in all it hear its not too bad.

Skip Towne
08-03-2005, 07:19 AM
Sounds like a good place to avoid. But that pretty much holds true for most of Missouri.

patteeu
08-03-2005, 07:51 AM
My sister worked at the Nuclear Power Plant there for several years. According to her, the Callaway County schools are pretty good. It's very rural. Her ex still lives there. He grew up there and loves it so much that he rarely leaves the county. I didn't notice anything exceptionally bad or good about the place. It's just a typical rural county along the MO river if you ask me.

ChiefsCountry
08-03-2005, 08:26 AM
You mean the kingdom of Callway? It might be good but I always thought Fulton was a craphole. Which is basically all that is there.

I agree with Raush stay away from Miller County. Other than a little bit that is Osage Beach/Lake Ozark the rest is a dump. Trust me I live in the county next to it.

PastorMikH
08-03-2005, 10:36 AM
Lived in Fulton for a couple of years when I was going to Westminster. Had a great view of Callaway County Nuclear Reactor out my window.

Back before it was operational, mom's now ex had a 2 seater Piper plane. We flew right over the concrete chimney and looked down into it. That was in interesting sight to say the least.

It is my understanding that Callaway county holds some of the biggest deer in the state. However, after growing up in Columbia and hearing about fulton, I'd prefer to live someplace else as well.

KChiefs1
08-03-2005, 10:52 AM
It is my understanding that Callaway county holds some of the biggest deer in the state. However, after growing up in Columbia and hearing about fulton, I'd prefer to live someplace else as well.

I'm noticing a very anti-Fulton feel to this thread.....Why? :hmmm:

I thought Fulton was supposed to be some cultural icon to the Missouri people because Winston Churchill spoke there & several dignitaries have spoken there at Westminster College correct?

Is Fulton the county seat? :)