PDA

View Full Version : wireless router

ExtremeChief
08-03-2005, 05:25 AM
My son is moving in, and his bedroom is now currently the office. I have a ADSL modem in there, and it would be a pain in the ass to relocate elsewhere in the house.

Can I put in a wireless router, then a wireless adapter in my comp so I can move the comp into another room?? If so... any recommendations?

Also, will my son's laptop "pick up" the signal since it has a wireless card in it???

Thanks in advance...

Kerberos
08-03-2005, 06:33 AM
My son is moving in, and his bedroom is now currently the office. I have a ADSL modem in there, and it would be a pain in the ass to relocate elsewhere in the house.

Can I put in a wireless router, then a wireless adapter in my comp so I can move the comp into another room?? If so... any recommendations?

Also, will my son's laptop "pick up" the signal since it has a wireless card in it???

Thanks in advance...

IMO

If you use a wireless router use a decent one that has an intergrated firewall as well. Linksys makes some nice ones for under a $100 that you can get at wal-mart. Don't buy anything less than a "G" standard.

If your son's laptop is new enough most of them come with wireless access already on board. If not just by a PCMCIA card that uses the same standard "G" and it should pick up the new network.

Do a little reading on your new router and make sure it is secure as far as MAC filtering and at LEAST use WEP encryption that is a feature on the router. If you read the owners manual it should tell you how to install all of that.

MY.02

If you

ExtremeChief
08-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks. Got a d-link router and card. Seems to work fine, now I just have to figure out making it secure. I'm not using it for file sharing, just internet access only. The damn thing didn't come with a printed manual, just one on the disk. I'm lazy, and would rather have the book in front of me.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2005, 12:25 PM
I have a similar card in my PC. Quite cool.

Any unsecured networks around your house? You might be able to score some naked pics of your neighbors. :D

ExtremeChief
08-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Moved the comp into the other room, which is on the other end of the house. No signal. Guess I wasted money on the card. I'll just have to buy a cat5 cable 100 feet long and drill some holes in the floor. :banghead:

Hammock Parties
08-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Moved the comp into the other room, which is on the other end of the house. No signal. Guess I wasted money on the card. I'll just have to buy a cat5 cable 100 feet long and drill some holes in the floor. :banghead:

That's pretty odd. You might have something major interfering with the signal. How many walls are there? That will cut down on your signal quality.

chop
08-13-2005, 07:26 PM
ExtremeChief house == Michael Jordans house?

OldTownChief
08-13-2005, 07:55 PM

You've probably already tried this but, sometimes you can tweak the antenna on the card and it will connect.

ExtremeChief
08-14-2005, 07:20 AM
You've probably already tried this but, sometimes you can tweak the antenna on the card and it will connect.

From what I can tell so far, it's not only a signal problem, but Zone Alarm is jacking with it too.

Between my comp and the router are 3 walls and my entire home entertainment center.

Of course, I didn't really read about interference until after I purchased the card, cause I'm, you know, a genious (cps).

I'm using it now, connected at 54 mbps, signal strength varying from low to very good while I'm just sitting here.

I'll get a cable, then I don't have to worry about it.

My sons laptop has a kickass signal everywhere in the house though, so the router was worth the 50 bucks I paid for it.

Thanks for everyone's help, it's appreciated.

Hammock Parties
08-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Get rid of that zonealarm trash...

Lzen
08-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Get rid of that zonealarm trash...

Wrong. Zone Alarm is highly rated by several computer pros. Here is what Zone Alarm does:

will render your computer invisible to hackers’ probes. Hackers run scanning programs over the Internet, looking for computers with electronic openings, called ports. A good firewall such as ZoneAlarm makes your computer invisible to the scanners.

The goal of these intruders is to place a Trojan horse on your computer. The rogue program uses the open port previously identified by a scanner. However, ZoneAlarm blocks those transmissions. They can only go through if you agree.

Kerberos
08-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Wrong. Zone Alarm is highly rated by several computer pros. Here is what Zone Alarm does:

will render your computer invisible to hackers’ probes. Hackers run scanning programs over the Internet, looking for computers with electronic openings, called ports. A good firewall such as ZoneAlarm makes your computer invisible to the scanners.

The goal of these intruders is to place a Trojan horse on your computer. The rogue program uses the open port previously identified by a scanner. However, ZoneAlarm blocks those transmissions. They can only go through if you agree.

LZEN

What do you do in Topeka for a living ??

I'm down here in Junction City working for USD475!

Hammock Parties
08-15-2005, 06:12 PM

Zonealarm's a decent software firewall, but I got rid of it after I got my router (with hardware firewall) and haven't missed it.

KC Jones
08-15-2005, 11:39 PM
Zonealarm's a decent software firewall, but I got rid of it after I got my router (with hardware firewall) and haven't missed it.

A hardware firewall is great for blunt force attempts to knock down the front door, but if your system is already compromised it will let the spyware or trojan phone home at will. Even major corporate website can become infected and spread virii. It's good to have something running on your machine to monitor all remote activity. Hell, if nothing else you get some control over when pieces of shit like real player phone home.

ExtremeChief
08-16-2005, 05:03 AM
I reinstalled Zone Alarm, but it's still blocking. IIRC, the error was something like:

Zone Alarm has blocked (router address) from blah, blah, blah.

But it won't allow me to override that setting for some reason. I'll have to play with the configuration some more.

Lzen
08-16-2005, 03:08 PM
I reinstalled Zone Alarm, but it's still blocking. IIRC, the error was something like:

Zone Alarm has blocked (router address) from blah, blah, blah.

But it won't allow me to override that setting for some reason. I'll have to play with the configuration some more.

I think you have to setup your PCs IP address in Zone Alarm's trusted zone. I'm not at home right now so I can't walk you through it but I know I've had to go through this before. BTW, I would recommend that you disable Zone Alarm (while you're working on the problem) until you're sure that your wireless connection is setup properly. You know, to eliminate ZA as the culprit. Once you have your wireless configured properly, then you can work on getting ZA configured properly. ;)

ExtremeChief
08-16-2005, 03:51 PM
I think you have to setup your PCs IP address in Zone Alarm's trusted zone. I'm not at home right now so I can't walk you through it but I know I've had to go through this before. BTW, I would recommend that you disable Zone Alarm (while you're working on the problem) until you're sure that your wireless connection is setup properly. You know, to eliminate ZA as the culprit. Once you have your wireless configured properly, then you can work on getting ZA configured properly. ;)

Will do. The connection isn't very good when ZA is off, but it's completely shut off with ZA on.

Thanks all ya all.