PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season games questions.

Donger
08-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Much to my shame, I've only ever watched one Chiefs pre-season game. However, I intend to watch as many as I can this year. So, would it be accurate to consider the results of these games as a harbinger of things to come during the regular season, or are they just glorified practice games? I'd imagine that neither team will go 100% and, of course, try to avoid injuries.

Just trying to get a feel of how to accurately view these games with respect to the coming season.

ptlyon
08-04-2005, 08:24 AM
practice games - mainly to evaluate who they are going to keep and who they are going to cut.

usually no "raz-ma-taz"

Radar Chief
08-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Much to my shame, I've only ever watched one Chiefs pre-season game. However, I intend to watch as many as I can this year. So, would it be accurate to consider the results of these games as a harbinger of things to come during the regular season, or are they just glorified practice games? I'd imagine that neither team will go 100% and, of course, try to avoid injuries.

Just trying to get a feel of how to accurately view these games with respect to the coming season.

Consider it a scrimmage with cameras.
In this first game expect to see the first offense and defense for maybe the first two series.
Then rookies will start filling in afterwards with it probably being only rooks on the field in the second half.
Also expect to see some sloppy football, particularly in the second half.

Hoover
08-04-2005, 08:27 AM
I love preseason games because it lets the fan see waht some of our young players can do on the field. In Baseball you have the minor leagues, in Football you have the preseason to scoop out young upcoming players.

The outcome of the game is not that important. Its how the first string teams did, did the Defense stop the other teams fist string O, stuff like that.

HemiEd
08-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Just practice, usually the last one means something, cut time IIRC. I usually have to listen to them on the computer since they do not televise them up here.

BigRedChief
IMHO they are mostly good for evaluating individual players and the few plays where you see the first stringers together after that its a wash.

So lets see...you have 1/2 the 1st teamers out there and 1/2 of the 2nd stringers out there together how do you evaluate? Are the first teamers having cover for the 2ns stringers? Does that make the 1st teamers look worse and the 2nd teamers look better? Who knows?

jidar1
Preseason is little more than a way to get the rookies a chance to see game speed before the season starts and help decided who to cut. They realy aren't any kind of indicator of season performance on the team or the individual level.

Chiefnj
08-04-2005, 08:29 AM
You really can't tell anything from them. For example, last year in preseason the first team pass defense was good. The first team defense got gouged on the run, but did fairly well in pass-D. We know what happened in the regular season to the secondary.

Very vanilla in play-calling. There is no point to the 4th game because starters on both sides play very sparingly. It's football so I watch it, but it isn't a very good indication of how the team or any player will fare in the regular season.

Donger
08-04-2005, 08:29 AM
practice games - mainly to evaluate who they are going to keep and who they are going to cut.

usually no "raz-ma-taz"

Oh, See, I didn't know that. So, basically a final 'interview' for the new acquisitions and a final practice for the starters?

TRR
08-04-2005, 08:30 AM
It doesn't matter if you win a Preseason game 100-0 or lose it 100-0, as long as nobody is injured, it's a victory.

Although some posters on this board will be ready to light Arrowhead One on fire if they don't preform in the Preseason.

MichaelH
08-04-2005, 08:31 AM
I can agree that the score isn't important and it's only good for evaluating new talent. But it seems whenever the Chiefs lose at least 3 pre-season games, the regular season starts slowly as well. This season with the schedule we have, starting slowly won't be a good thing.

Radar Chief
08-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Oh, See, I didn't know that. So, basically a final 'interview' for the new acquisitions and a final practice for the starters?

Pretty much. As the games progress we’ll get to see more and more of the starters. In the third game they’ll probably play a half and actually do some scheming for the opposing team. The fourth game is all ‘bout the rooks last chance to impress.

Donger
08-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Thanks to all for the answers. Much clearer now.

KCTitus
08-04-2005, 08:52 AM
It provides you with the necessary game film to break down and discover the future stars of the league who were UDFA's in the spring, but the coaches are too stupid to see what you see.

KChiefs1
08-04-2005, 09:07 AM
I remember when preseason games used to be called exhibition games.

Raiderhater
08-04-2005, 09:13 AM
It provides you with the necessary game film to break down and discover the future stars of the league who were UDFA's in the spring, but the coaches are too stupid to see what you see.

ROFL