PDA

View Full Version : CB Warfield languishes among Chief's reserves

Wile_E_Coyote
08-05-2005, 08:05 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/12312999.htm (http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/12312999.htm)

Posted on Fri, Aug. 05, 2005http://www.kentucky.com/images/common/spacer.gif
DOUG TUCKER
http://www.kentucky.com/images/common/spacer.gif
Associated Press
http://www.kentucky.com/images/common/spacer.gif

RIVER FALLS, Wis. - Anyone who has ever done something really, really stupid and let all their friends down will understand the way Eric Warfield is feeling these days.

Because of his bad judgment, the Kansas City Chiefs have been weakened. Their Super Bowl goal will be even more difficult to achieve.

It was a very bad idea trying to drive home that night with a blood alcohol level of .189.

"I could have jumped in a cab," said the veteran cornerback, who has been the Chiefs' top defensive back for several years. "I could have ridden with somebody. It was just dumb, dumb, dumb."

Because Warfield has been suspended the first month of the season, the Chiefs can't afford to waste practice time on him. Instead of running with the first team and working hard to keep his job on a defense filled with new people and renewed hope, he is languishing with the backups.

That means he's not getting as many "reps" as the first-teamers, including Dexter McCleon, who has been awarded - at least on a temporary basis - his job at right cornerback.

Standing among the backups as the starters run through their spirited drills day after day, Warfield has the look of a little boy watching the birthday party next door that no one invited him to.

"The hardest thing about it is watching the team go ahead and move on without me," he said in a soft voice. "That's the really hard part."

Although police pulled Warfield over that night last September before an accident could happen, his third DUI in as many years led to a 10-day jail sentence and 80 days of house arrest. Then, as expected, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced shortly before camp opened that Warfield would be suspended the first four games of the season.

"The first couple of days were rough," he said. "But I understood the situation. I placed the team in a bad spot. I had to step back and let the other guys get prepared for the first quarter of the season."

While the Chiefs are launching their season against the New York Jets, Oakland Raiders, Denver Broncos and Philadelphia Eagles - three 2004 playoff teams and an archrival - Warfield won't even be allowed into the locker room.

"But I'm going to root my team on," he said. "I'm going to attend all the games."

Still, it's hurting the Chiefs, and it's not doing Warfield's once-thriving NFL career any good.

"My job's not guaranteed. And I'm pretty sure it's not going to just be given to me when I get back," he said.

On that point, coach Dick Vermeil is clear.

"He understands that he's not going to just walk back into his job," Vermeil said. "He understands he's put himself in a situation that he's going to have battle out by doing everything right."

McCleon will open at right cornerback opposite highly regarded newcomer Patrick Surtain at left cornerback. A nine-year veteran, McCleon played poorly last year while struggling with injuries.

But just two years ago, McCleon tied for the team lead with six interceptions. At 31, he may not be washed up yet.

As further cornerback insurance, and consequently more competition for Warfield, the Chiefs have also brought in veterans Ashley Ambrose and Dewayne Washington.

"You provide opportunities for other people to take your job when you make the kind of mistakes Eric's made," Vermeil said.

Missing one quarter of the regular season will also cost him about $1 million in salary.

"But the money is not the main thing," Warfield insisted.
Conditioning is.

It has been said that "football shape" can be achieved only by playing football. A worried Warfield is checking out professional training facilities in Arizona and Colorado and may spend most his suspension there.

"You can train as hard as you want to," he said. "But it's a lot different when you get out there on the field. I put myself in this situation. I've got to live up to it. When the season starts, I've got to somehow, some way find somebody to keep me in shape."

As bad as things seem, he knows they could have been so much worse.

"I think back over the things that could have happened that night," he said. "There could have been a bad accident - a fatality. I think about that, and I was lucky that this was all that happened."
http://www.kentucky.com/images/kansascity/kansascity/12313/151621591472.jpg

tommykat
08-05-2005, 08:15 PM
At least he continues to stand by what he has said....he takes it on himself and doesn't blame anyone. To bad he won't be in the first 4 games. Hope D-Line is blasting ass this year! :thumb:

RedDread
08-05-2005, 08:22 PM
I'd like to see him get some reps with first team for the first 2 preseason games, and less thereafter. Eric's a Vet, and it's good to get some young guys going with the first team, but like everyone he's gonna need some full contact full speed plays with the first team to get him going when it's time for him to come back.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-05-2005, 08:29 PM
I still say that Ambrose or Washington will beat out McCleon before the opener.

Nightfyre
08-05-2005, 08:36 PM
I still say that Ambrose or Washington will beat out McCleon before the opener.
How is McCleon the shrimp going to play bump and run? It will be ambrose, washington or hodge...

alanm
08-05-2005, 08:43 PM
How is McCleon the shrimp going to play bump and run? It will be ambrose, washington or hodge...
You guys are all wrong. It's going to be my adopted kid Benny Sapp. He's got the nickle nailed down but that won't last long. The kids a football player and it's just a matter of time. :thumb:

penguinz
08-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Hope D-Line is blasting ass this year! :thumb:If that happens then johnny morton will regret not having restructured his contract and stayed with the chiefs.

htismaqe
08-05-2005, 08:55 PM

"The Shrimp" is 5'10" and 195 lbs. Ambrose is 5'10" and 185, while Washington is 5'11" and 193.

Hodge is 5'10" 203 and Benny Sapp is 5'9" and 190.

milkman
08-05-2005, 08:59 PM
If that happens then johnny morton will regret not having restructured his contract and stayed with the chiefs.

I'd bet if he's learned that Vanilla Thunder has shown up around here,
he's already regretting it!
:eek: :p

Hammock Parties
08-05-2005, 09:00 PM
"The Shrimp" is 5'10" and 195 lbs. Ambrose is 5'10" and 185, while Washington is 5'11" and 193.

I have to say, I'm a bit concerned about all the short corners we're running out this year. Even Surtain is 5'11.

Nightfyre
08-05-2005, 09:02 PM

Damn you and your logic. I just have yet to see McCleon effectively bump and run, that and he seems tiny.... Hodge is my favorite at this point.

Deberg_1990
08-05-2005, 09:05 PM
I dont trust any of these turds besides Surtain. Not even Warfield. I want a 1st round CB selection in next years draft.

milkman
08-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Damn you and your logic. I just have yet to see McCleon effectively bump and run, that and he seems tiny.... Hodge is my favorite at this point.

That is the problem.
McCleon is an effective nickel against the slot receiver, but he struggles in the physical man coverage against the #2 receiver that Gun's system requires.

I think, even if Hodge shows potential, he won't start in game 1, or even any game as a rookie.

I think Ambrose or Washington will get the nod, with Sapp as longshot.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-05-2005, 09:17 PM
I'd bet if he's learned that Vanilla Thunder has shown up around here,
he's already regretting it!
:eek: :p

I thought we were cool. :harumph: :)

milkman
08-05-2005, 09:20 PM
I thought we were cool. :harumph: :)
:thumb:

Crush
08-05-2005, 09:22 PM
People, please, we all know Scanlon will take care of things.

teedubya
08-05-2005, 10:02 PM
while the first team is running... and they aint doing shit...

he should just do windsprints and shit... to make him stronger... work his body OUT... get ready.