PDA

View Full Version : Anybody like burnt ends?

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Last weekend, I decided I really wanted burnt ends, but a LOT of burnt ends. So, I did something many of you will scoff at, but I'm here to tell you it was ****ing great! I did the brisket like usual, marinade, smoked for about 9 hours. Then, took the whole thing inside (it was only about a 7 pound brisket), cubed it, put it back in the smoker for about 2 more hours in a pan with holes so it could drip, poured some homemade BBQ sauce over it, and smoked it for another 45 minutes...

:drool: THAT, was some good shit.

ChiefsFire
08-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Last weekend, I decided I really wanted burnt ends, but a LOT of burnt ends. So, I did something many of you will scoff at, but I'm here to tell you it was ****ing great! I did the brisket like usual, marinade, smoked for about 9 hours. Then, took the whole thing inside (it was only about a 7 pound brisket), cubed it, put it back in the smoker for about 2 more hours in a pan with holes so it could drip, poured some homemade BBQ sauce over it, and smoked it for another 45 minutes...

sounds good

got any samples? :)

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2005, 10:29 PM
sounds good

got any samples? :)
It's been a whole week since then, what do you think? :p

Dave Lane
08-05-2005, 10:31 PM

Yeah baby!

Dave

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2005, 10:31 PM
I would suggest this burnt ends "cheat" for anybody that's not exactly a purist and would consider bending the rules.

ChiefsFire
08-05-2005, 10:32 PM
It's been a whole week since then, what do you think? :p
im guessin no Mr McSmartyfartypants

invite us over next :(

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2005, 10:33 PM
im guessin no Mr McSmartyfartypants

invite us over next :(
ROFL I'm laughing at the irony involved between your avatar and using the phrase "McSmartyfartypants".

ChiefsFire
08-05-2005, 10:39 PM
ROFL I'm laughing at the irony involved between your avatar and using the phrase "McSmartyfartypants".
smokin pot drinkin beer

smokin pot drinkin beer beer beer

Reaper16
08-05-2005, 10:43 PM
smokin pot drinkin beer

smokin pot drinkin beer beer beer

Rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts. Who's got the blunts? We got the blunts! Rolling blunts and smoki...*interrupted record sfx* Whoa! What the f***, Serpico?

ChiefsFire
08-05-2005, 10:46 PM
sorry FMB

didnt mean to hijack ur thread with Jay and SilentBob quotes....continue

Reaper16
08-05-2005, 10:48 PM
I watched Chasing Amy today, and, in an attempt to tie the thread back in, am hungry for burnt ends.

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Burnt ends rule.

Fire Me Boy!
08-06-2005, 12:34 AM
I will definitely do these burnt ends again.

Fire Me Boy!
08-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Question... you know how when you buy a premade spice (like a big thing of garlic salt, or Emeril's Essense), you get a good sized shaker with holes in the lid AND a screw tight cap? I'm looking for some of those for my own rubs, but I can't find any... help? I guess I just don't know what I'm looking for, name wise.

J Diddy
08-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Question... you know how when you buy a premade spice (like a big thing of garlic salt, or Emeril's Essense), you get a good sized shaker with holes in the lid AND a screw tight cap? I'm looking for some of those for my own rubs, but I can't find any... help? I guess I just don't know what I'm looking for, name wise.

You got a restaurant supply store in your town?... go there.

Fire Me Boy!
08-06-2005, 12:47 AM
You got a restaurant supply store in your town?... go there.
Not in Warrensburg... anybody know of one in KC?

J Diddy
08-06-2005, 12:49 AM

Nope, we got a good one here. joeharding.com

I think you'll have to email them but they can get it for you and ship it to you....

htismaqe
08-06-2005, 05:41 AM
I got a dispenser for my rub...it's a half-gallon plastic jar with one of those shaker lids on it. Bought it at Wal-Mart.

Herzig
08-06-2005, 07:29 AM
I love burnt ends, but here 3 hours south of KC, no one has ever heard of them. I always ask at the BBQ places here(Famous Daves, Smokey Bones, Penguin Ed's, Sonny's etc.) but they look at me like I'm crazy when I ask them for some.

I would have to say that Burnt Ends and Pulled pork are my 2 favorite BBQ meats(No pun intended ROFL )

redbrian
08-06-2005, 08:13 AM

There is one on the sw side of the city market.

Herzig
08-06-2005, 08:25 AM
This one's for Skip...and all the rest of you fuggers!

Arthur Bryant's Burnt Ends Recipe

http://foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_27392,00.html

1 (8 to 10-pound) beef brisket
Favorite spice rub
Favorite BBQ Sauce (recommended: Arthur Bryant's Rich and Spicy Sauce)

Prepare smoker for cooking, heating to 180 to 200 degrees F.

Season brisket with spice rub on both sides and then place in smoker. Smoke for 8 hours. Remove brisket to a platter and leave smoker on.

Cut burnt ends (blackened portion) from lean section of smoked brisket and then chop into cubes. Place chopped pieces in a large pan with holes. Smoke for 1 1/2 hours, or until dried out. Remove pan from smoker and transfer brisket cubes to a large pan without any holes. Stir in favorite BBQ sauce, and then return to the smoker for an additional 1 1/2 hours. Burnt ends may be combined with baked beans or served on a sandwich.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.

Fire Me Boy!
08-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Mine were very good... pretty much the same thing, but instead of cutting off JUST the burnt ends, I chopped up the whole thing.

Lord Bestyle
08-06-2005, 08:51 AM
This one's for Skip...and all the rest of you fuggers!

Arthur Bryant's Burnt Ends Recipe

Oh, man, I'm heading to the grocery store right f'n now!

That's rep.

Herzig
08-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Place chopped pieces in a large pan with holes.

What kind of pan is this? Can someone help me with this?

teedubya
08-06-2005, 12:59 PM
**** you FMB!! now, i had to go to Jack Stack and order some Burnt Ends~~ Damn you!!!1

DAMN YOU!!!!!1

Fire Me Boy!
08-06-2005, 01:49 PM
What kind of pan is this? Can someone help me with this?
I used the top of my broiler pan... what I had was essentially a good sized cookie sheet with slots in for the fat to drain. You could probably get by with an aluminum roasting pan (real cheap) and punch some holes in it.

Herzig
08-06-2005, 10:42 PM
I used the top of my broiler pan... what I had was essentially a good sized cookie sheet with slots in for the fat to drain. You could probably get by with an aluminum roasting pan (real cheap) and punch some holes in it.

I had actually thought about both of these options(weird)...I thought that there was some kind of pan that you could buy specifically for this purpose...Thanks though.

Herzig
08-06-2005, 10:51 PM
No pun detected.

I felt kinda funny saying that I liked "pulled pork"
:whackit:

get it now?

Now, I do like my pork pulled by a beautiful woman though.

Herzig
08-07-2005, 03:48 PM

This may be a stupid question, but can you make burnt ends out of pork roast?

I had some really great burnt ends at KC Masterpiece in Overland Park and I'm not sure, but I think they may have been pork...anyone know?

Fire Me Boy!
08-07-2005, 04:10 PM
This may be a stupid question, but can you make burnt ends out of pork roast?

I had some really great burnt ends at KC Masterpiece in Overland Park and I'm not sure, but I think they may have been pork...anyone know?
It wouldn't really be burnt ends, because that's brisket... but I don't know why you couldn't make basically the same thing with pork.

Fire Me Boy!
08-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Speaking of this thread... I'm doing this again today. Got the brisket resting right now before I chop it all up and put it back in the smoker.

Fire Me Boy!
08-07-2005, 04:54 PM
I'll post the after pics too... the ones on the plate are what I pulled out for my lunch/dinner.