PDA

View Full Version : Pick your FIVE all-time greatest Chiefs from this list. We're in the finals.

Rain Man
08-05-2005, 11:54 PM
The five top vote-getters will go into the championship round.

Pick Five.

go bo
08-05-2005, 11:54 PM
ok, where's the pole?

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2005, 11:55 PM
Still smoking it?

go bo
08-05-2005, 11:57 PM
how'd you know?

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Didn't you see the question mark? It was a question.

Hammock Parties
08-05-2005, 11:59 PM
POLE? WHERE?

Fire Me Boy!
08-06-2005, 12:00 AM
Talk about smoking pole and gochiefs comes runnin'!

Hammock Parties
08-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Thomas, Taylor, Shields, Dawson and Bell.

Pitt Gorilla
08-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Bell, Buchanan, Taylor, Shields, Thomas.

Rain Man
08-06-2005, 12:09 AM
I went with Bell, Buchanan, Dawson, Lanier, and Shields.

Logical
08-06-2005, 12:10 AM
It appears I like Linebackers

1. Bobby Bell
2. Willie Lanier
3. Buck Buchanan
4. Derrick Thomas
5. Will Shields (thank god that vote did not take and I was able to correct my error)

Fire Me Boy!
08-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Bell, Buchanon, Gonzalez, Shields, Thomas

RealSNR
08-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Thomas, Bell, Buchanon, Holmes, and Shields.

Yes, Holmes. Chiefs all-time leading rusher in only 4 seasons with the team. Amazing player. NFL record for TDs in a season. Gets my vote.

RedDread
08-06-2005, 12:13 AM
This poll makes my browser sad :(

I hate to vote for Priest because a large part of it is anticipation of him WTFPWNing any team record that he can get his hands on within the next 2-4 years.

My other 4 were Dawson, DT, Shields and OT

Rain Man
08-06-2005, 12:15 AM
This poll makes my browser sad :(

I hate to vote for Priest because a large part of it is anticipation of him WTFPWNing all of our RB records within the next 2-4 years.

My other 4 were Dawson, DT, Shields and OT

He pretty much owns all of them now, it seems. Absolutely amazing.

Are you not able to see my cool pictures, bosewolf? That would be a tragedy.

RedDread
08-06-2005, 12:16 AM
I noticed that, so now he's gotta focus on tackles, fumbles forced, sacks, pass completions, and field goals.

RedDread
08-06-2005, 12:17 AM
naw, I can see em, but the vote bars are all the way on the right side and so far apart, it's hard to tell who's winning.

luv
08-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Bell
Buchanan
Dawson
Holmes
Thomas

cdcox
08-06-2005, 12:34 AM
In order: Bell, Lanier, Buchanon, DT and Holmes.

The first 3 were dead-lock cinches. I'm a little freaked out that Lanier is not doing better in the early voting. Come on people, the 75 year team is a much more selective group than even the HOF.

DT came pretty close to joining that top group of three. I then went into a deep funk to find another candidate worthy of the pantheon. Dawson was an early condtender, but even at his retirement he did not stand out as one of the very best QB's of all time, and there have been so many great ones since. I kept searching. Shields certainly has the probowl credentials, but guard is generally considered a much easier position to play than tackle. Offensive lineman also seem to get a free pass to the probowl after they have made it a couple years running. Not that Shields isn't great, but I consider him to be the second best guy on our current line, after Roaf. Somehow it just didn't seem right.

Finally I settled on Priest. He has put together one of the very best 3.5 year stretches of any back. It is just phenominal. Truely an other world performance for a significant stretch of time. Maybe I'm giving too much weight to recent performances and to the glamor position of RB. Maybe I should weight longevity more. I don't think so.

It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

cdcox
08-06-2005, 12:58 AM
I can't believe I have to do missionary work for Willie Freaking Lanier. Here are the best MLB in the history of the NFL:

Dick Butkus
Ray Nitschke
Jack Lambert
Chuck Bednarik
Mike Singletary
Joe Schmidt
Nick Buoniconti
Ray Lewis

and Willie Freaking Lanier.

That's it. And Lanier is better than half the guys on this list, hands down.

If you voted for Dawson, and not Lanier, I challenge you to make an agruement that Dawson is one of the top 5 QB of all time. You can't even come close.

Gonzo, is certainly one of the best one or two TE of all time, but TE is not a high impact position (similar to my reasoning for leaving Guard Will Shields off the list, and my overall hesitation to vote for keekers in any round (I did vote for HOFer Stenarude a time or two in earlier rounds)).

HemiEd
08-06-2005, 01:54 AM
Wow, nicely done Rainman.
Bell, Lanier, Dawson, Shields and DT.

jAZ
08-06-2005, 02:20 AM
Buchanan, Dawson, Priest, Lanier, DT

Crush
08-06-2005, 02:52 AM
Bell, Buchanan, Dawson, Lanier, and Thomas.

Coach
08-06-2005, 02:55 AM
Thomas, Shields, Lanier, Gonzo, and Buchanan.

Tribal Warfare
08-06-2005, 03:05 AM
Bobby Bell,Lanier, Taylor, Dawson, Derrick Thomas

Tribal Warfare
08-06-2005, 03:09 AM
question where's emmit thomas on this list?

Skip Towne
08-06-2005, 06:15 AM
Thomas, Taylor, Shields, Dawson and Bell.
Of course all these players were great but seriously, no Willie Lanier?

KCFalcon59
08-06-2005, 07:51 AM
Bell, Lanier, Buchanan, DT and Holmes.

Hard to choose the last one. I easily could have added any one of the rest.

RealSNR
08-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Let's just say the top vote-getter in this poll becomes the greatest Chief of all time. I don't think I can narrow it down any more.

RNR
08-06-2005, 08:14 AM
As a non Chief fan my votes may not count, however I went with Lanier, Bell, Shields, Buchanan, Thomas. Holmes and Gonzales may make a case depending how they finish.

They are all great players and I picked Thomas last because he was a heck of player and came along as the Chiefs made the rise from ashes, I don't think he quite stacks up with the others I picked.

Of the listed players Lanier stands out to me. He is the most underrated linebacker of alltime. People would always list Nitschke of the Packers, Butkus of the Bears or Curtis of the Colts IMO Lanier was as good if not better than all of them.

mlyonsd
08-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Bell, Buchanan, Dawson, Taylor, Shields.

Rain Man, this has been a fun series of polls and I appreciate your dilligience.

But now we're to the point I can go no farther. If I do I'll feel guilty pitting one against the other.

Dartgod
08-06-2005, 08:39 AM

1. Bobby Bell
2. Willie Lanier
3. Buck Buchanan
4. Derrick Thomas
5. Will Shields (thank god that vote did not take and I was able to correct my error)
Ditto.

It was difficult to leave Holmes off, but it was either him or Buchanan/Bell and I just couldn't leave either of them off my list. Holmes' short career (so far) got him the axe.

patteeu
08-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Thomas, Bell, Buchanon, Holmes, and Shields.

Yes, Holmes. Chiefs all-time leading rusher in only 4 seasons with the team. Amazing player. NFL record for TDs in a season. Gets my vote.

I went with Bell, Buchanon, Holmes, Lanier, and Shields. Holmes was my 5th choice, but I agree with your rationale.

Braincase
08-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Bullshit. No Rich Scanlon option. I'm calling Shenanigans.

heapshake
08-06-2005, 10:07 AM
I voted for Shields, Lanier, Bell, Buck, and Cherry. I was debating between Otis and Deron and somehow forgot about DT down there at the bottom.

Zebedee DuBois
08-06-2005, 10:54 AM
I went 2 defense, 2 offense, and one special teams
Bell
Buchanan
Shields
Taylor
Stenerud

Sadly, I realise I must have missed one of the polls in the last round. Drats.

The pictures and bios in the poll are great when filling out the poll, but distracting when looking at the results. Life is like that.

ct
08-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Buchanan, Gonzalez, Lanier, Shields, Thomas

Thig Lyfe
08-06-2005, 12:21 PM
That is such a hard list to choose from.

I went fairly recent:
Dawson
Taylor
DT
Holmes
Gonzalez

Hydrae
08-06-2005, 12:23 PM

1. Bobby Bell
2. Willie Lanier
3. Buck Buchanan
4. Derrick Thomas

This appears to be a fairly common combination as RNR, Dartgod and I also voted this exact combo. I also agree with those who say that it may not actually be possible to narrow this down any further without suffering major guilt pangs.

milkman
08-06-2005, 06:00 PM
I will just repost from an earlier poll my opinions of top 5 Chiefs of all time.
These was my votes, and my reasons for those votes.

Starting with number
5-Otis Taylor.
Big, strong, fast receiver who made every catch imaginable.
Priest, if he can stay healthy, and continue to produce at the level
he has, will slide in here, especially if he can help produce a SB.

4-DT
His ability to get to the QB and create turnovers was second to none.

3-Buck Buchannon.
Revolutionized the DT position.

2-Bobby Bell
Was the most athletic player ever to put on a Chiefs uniform.
A run stuffer. Outstanding in pass coverage. And if utilized more as a
pass rusher, he would have been among the best ever.
Think Lawrence Taylor, without the drugs.

1-Willie Lanier.
Was the heart and soul of some great KC defenses.
One of the top 3 MLB ever to play the game.
Smart team leader and just a ferocious hitter.

milkman
08-06-2005, 06:04 PM
I can't believe I have to do missionary work for Willie Freaking Lanier. Here are the best MLB in the history of the NFL:

Dick Butkus
Ray Nitschke
Jack Lambert
Chuck Bednarik
Mike Singletary
Joe Schmidt
Nick Buoniconti
Ray Lewis

and Willie Freaking Lanier.

That's it. And Lanier is better than half the guys on this list, hands down.

If you voted for Dawson, and not Lanier, I challenge you to make an agruement that Dawson is one of the top 5 QB of all time. You can't even come close.

Gonzo, is certainly one of the best one or two TE of all time, but TE is not a high impact position (similar to my reasoning for leaving Guard Will Shields off the list, and my overall hesitation to vote for keekers in any round (I did vote for HOFer Stenarude a time or two in earlier rounds)).

No question about it.
Quite frankly, one could argue that Willie is among the top 3 MLBs of all time.

Hammock Parties
08-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Of course all these players were great but seriously, no Willie Lanier?

Bell > Lanier.

Rain Man
08-06-2005, 07:33 PM
We're at the point in the process now where there's no need to defend one's choice. Any one of these 11 players could lay claim to being the greatest Chief ever.

Skip Towne
08-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Bell > Lanier.
Splitting hairs here. Bell was the Chiefs first inductee into the HOF, Lanier was second. You are still extremely remiss by not including 63 in the top 5. I recommend you do some serious study on Chiefs history. Right now, I rank you with Chiefs4me for stupid picks.

milkman
08-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Bell > Lanier.

Uh........just exactly how would you know this?

I watched these guys, and it would be virtually impossible to say one was better than the other.

Bell was the more athletic player, versatile, outstanding in pass coverage, and fast, but Willie had the speed to go from sideline to sideline, and was one of the most ferocious hitters ever, and he was the the undisputed leader of defense that I heard John Clayton today rank among the top ten of all time.

Logical
08-06-2005, 07:42 PM
We're at the point in the process now where there's no need to defend one's choice. Any one of these 11 players could lay claim to being the greatest Chief ever.:shake:

Usually I respect your opinion, but sorry no way Dawson or Cherry can be defended even slightly as one of the greatest Chiefs. Hell Trent Green is a better QB than Dawson. Cherry does not belong up there as a defensive backe, either Robinson or Emmitt Thomas were both clearly better players and more valuable to their teams.

Skip Towne
08-06-2005, 07:45 PM
That is such a hard list to choose from.

I went fairly recent:
Dawson
Taylor
DT
Holmes
Gonzalez
There are some dumb picks on here but this is the dumbest one I've come across so far. Have you ever heard of Bobby Bell or Willie Lanier? Buck Buchanan? Have you ever heard of the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

chiefs4me
08-06-2005, 07:47 PM
I can't pick just 5..this is not fair...oh, okay..I will go vote..

Logical
08-06-2005, 07:47 PM
As a non Chief fan my votes may not count, however I went with Lanier, Bell, Shields, Buchanan, Thomas. Holmes and Gonzales may make a case depending how they finish.

They are all great players and I picked Thomas last because he was a heck of player and came along as the Chiefs made the rise from ashes, I don't think he quite stacks up with the others I picked.

Of the listed players Lanier stands out to me. He is the most underrated linebacker of alltime. People would always list Nitschke of the Packers, Butkus of the Bears or Curtis of the Colts IMO Lanier was as good if not better than all of them.Perhaps the best post of the thread and it comes from a RAiders fan.ROFLROFLROFL Man clearly knows talent and his Chiefs history better than many of the Chiefs fans.

Hammock Parties
08-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Splitting hairs here. Bell was the Chiefs first inductee into the HOF, Lanier was second. You are still extremely remiss by not including 63 in the top 5. I recommend you do some serious study on Chiefs history. Right now, I rank you with Chiefs4me for stupid picks.

I only wanted to include one linebacker.

I picked the greatest QB, greatest WR, greatest LB, greatest OG and greatest Pass Rusher in Chiefs history. I didn't want to include two linebackers.

And yes, Derrick Thomas was listed as a linebacker, but he was not a LB in the traditional sense.

milkman
08-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Perhaps the best post of the thread and it comes from a Raiders fan.ROFLROFLROFL Man clearly knows talent and his Chiefs history better than many of the Chiefs fans.

I was going to make the same comment on that post as well, but forgot to go back to it by the time I finished reading through the thread.

Great post Neck.

chiefs4me
08-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Here's my list, and you can all keep your opinions to yourself on who I picked.

Bell,B
Dawson,L
Gonzo
Stenerud,J
Thomas,D

Skip Towne
08-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Perhaps the best post of the thread and it comes from a RAiders fan.ROFLROFLROFL Man clearly knows talent and his Chiefs history better than many of the Chiefs fans.
Really. I was shocked by some of the ignorance displayed on this thread. I once thought Gochiefs knew a little about it. Then he left Lanier off the top 5.

ptlyon
08-06-2005, 07:55 PM

Bell,B
Dawson,L
Gonzo
Stenerud,J
Thomas,D

No Lanier? No Cherry?

:p

Hammock Parties
08-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Really. I was shocked by some of the ignorance displayed on this thread. I once thought Gochiefs knew a little about it. Then he left Lanier off the top 5.

Look, I just picked Bell over Lanier, that's all. I was only going to pick one of them.

milkman
08-06-2005, 07:59 PM
I only wanted to include one linebacker.

I picked the greatest QB, greatest WR, greatest LB, greatest OG and greatest Pass Rusher in Chiefs history. I didn't want to include two linebackers.

And yes, Derrick Thomas was listed as a linebacker, but he was not a LB in the traditional sense.

This is not a greatest player by position poll.

This is the 5 greatest players, and the Chiefs happen to have 3 LBs that fall into that category.

Leaving Willie off the list is sheer stupidity.

As much as I loved DT and what he mean't to the Chiefs, he would not make my top 3 of all time.

Hammock Parties
08-06-2005, 08:02 PM
This is not a greatest player by position poll.

This is the 5 greatest players, and the Chiefs happen to have 3 LBs that fall into that category.

Leaving Willie off the list is sheer stupidity.

As much as I loved DT and what he mean't to the Chiefs, he would not make my top 3 of all time.

Wow, you're nuts. And I'm not including two linebackers on my list. That's giving the shaft to other positions. Sorry, but that's the way I break it down.

At least I didn't pick a kicker.

milkman
08-06-2005, 08:04 PM

Bell,B
Dawson,L
Gonzo
Stenerud,J
Thomas,D

I saw this list. and I said to myself, "Self, don't be to hard on her. She's just a freakin' idiot who doesn't know any better.

But Damn, Stenerud over Lanier?
Dawson over Buchanon?

Good God!!!!!!"

Skip Towne
08-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Look, I just picked Bell over Lanier, that's all. I was only going to pick one of them.
You didn't read the poll did you? No, no you didn't. You made up your own parameters and came off as a dumbass....Again. Shut up while you're behind.

chiefs4me
08-06-2005, 08:07 PM
No Lanier? No Cherry?

:p

well, looky here...what are you doing around here at night, and on a weekend to....:p

everyone always forgets the kicker...you can't win without the kicker...I never forget the kicker....ROFL and hey, I had to choose, I believe that DT should be a given for everybody so we don't have to use a pick.:)

Hammock Parties
08-06-2005, 08:07 PM
You didn't read the poll did you? No, no you didn't. You made up your own parameters and came off as a dumbass....Again. Shut up while you're behind.

The poll lays down no rules. It does not say "DO NOT PICK ONE PLAYER PER POSITION."

That is how I pick my top five. I did not feel including another linebacker was worthy of leaving off Otis Taylor.

milkman
08-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Wow, you're nuts. And I'm not including two linebackers on my list. That's giving the shaft to other positions. Sorry, but that's the way I break it down.

At least I didn't pick a kicker.

Yeah, at least you didn't pick a kicker. :rolleyes:

As far as giving the shaft to other positions, if they deserved to be on the top 5 list, regardless of position, then I'd vote for them.

Hammock Parties
08-06-2005, 08:12 PM
As far as giving the shaft to other positions, if they deserved to be on the top 5 list, regardless of position, then I'd vote for them.

Guess what?

milkman
08-06-2005, 08:15 PM
Guess what?

I don't loathe it.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that.

But I'm also entitled to my opinion, and in this vote, my opinion is that you're a dumbass.

No disrespect intended.

Logical
08-06-2005, 08:20 PM
I saw this list. and I said to myself, "Self, don't be to hard on her. She's just a freakin' idiot who doesn't know any better.

Dawson over Buchanon?

Good God!!!!!!"It's a hopeless cause, she can no longer claim to be uninformed, she must want to be Stupid. I am pretty sure that is exactly what is going on with Gochiefs, he wants attention so he picked clearly inferior players and then made up an excuse to cover it.

milkman
08-06-2005, 08:25 PM
It's a hopeless cause, she can no longer claim to be uninformed, she must want to be Stupid. I am pretty sure that is exactly what is going on with Gochiefs, he wants attention so he picked clearly inferior players and then made up an excuse to cover it.

Yeah, I know, but I just can't let it slide by without comment.

Hammock Parties
08-06-2005, 08:27 PM
I am pretty sure that is exactly what is going on with Gochiefs, he wants attention so he picked clearly inferior players and then made up an excuse to cover it.

You couldn't be more wrong. I voted for the players I wanted, end of story.

chiefs4me
08-06-2005, 08:46 PM

Dawson over Buchanon?

Good God!!!!!!"

Well Gawd Damn Jethro.....I must of read the poll wrong, I didn't see where it said pick who sidewinder or skip want you to pick....I didn't see where it said, you better pick this player or you are a dumbass....ROFL

Slap me silly for picking who I wanted to pick...I probably would of picked one of them for my 5th...but I couldn't and can't leave DT off, that is why I believe he should be a given....:harumph:

Now say it with me real slow...this is just a poll, we are not actually voting for the hall of fame here...:rolleyes: it is okay for people to have their own opinions...ROFL

milkman
08-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Now say it with me real slow...this is just a poll, we are not actually voting for the hall of fame here...:rolleyes: it is okay for people to have their own opinions...ROFL

It's okay for dipshits like C4me to have her own opinions, even when she doesn't have a ****in' clue what she's talking about.

Especially since she never has a ****ing clue.

Nightfyre
08-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Stenerud (Go Montana State!) Bell, Lanier, Gonzo, Shields. Apologies to the rest tho...

chefsos
08-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Okay. Here's my take:

I looked at this poll a little differently than previous ones. I had tried before not to load up too many guys at one position, thinking the final 10 or 5 or whatever number was left shouldn't be all from one group.
That way of thinking doesn't work here. To me, I look at these players now and ask, "Was/is this guy the best at his position, or close to it, in the entire league?" So..

Lanier- If he's not ranked along with Butkus, Nitschske and Huff as greatest MLB EVER, the Earth is flat.

Bell, Buck, DT- Each, in varying degrees, revolutionized their positions.

Tony G- Who's a better TE the last 5 years? Nobody. Ten? Fifteen?

Dawson and Otis were my early heroes, but now I just can't see either as ever being clear-cut #1 in the league at their respective positions.
Take this poll again in 2-3 years, Priest and Shields are there.

chiefs4me
08-06-2005, 10:41 PM
It's okay for dipshits like C4me to have her own opinions, even when she doesn't have a ****in' clue what she's talking about.

Especially since she never has a ****ing clue.

aw, somebody needs a hug....:grouphug:

Nightfyre
08-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Stenerud is quite possibly the best kicker to ever grace the field. He needs to make the list.

Pitt Gorilla
08-06-2005, 10:56 PM
I suppose I should catch some sh!t for my selection of Taylor, but, damn, he was such a specimen for his time and was just an incredible player. If you were to build the ultimate receiver, I'd argue that he'd have Taylor on the back of his uniform.

Ultimately, I find it difficult to fault anyone with their choices; all of these players were/are great Chiefs.

chefsos
08-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Stenerud is quite possibly the best kicker to ever grace the field. He needs to make the list.
I suppose I should catch some sh!t for my selection of Taylor, but, damn, he was such a specimen for his time and was just an incredible player. If you were to build the ultimate receiver, I'd argue that he'd have Taylor on the back of his uniform.

Ultimately, I find it difficult to fault anyone with their choices; all of these players were/are great Chiefs.

All true. That's what makes this so tough.