PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Smith Vs. Sam Gado

nychief
08-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Wow, am I bored or what?

jAZ
08-06-2005, 08:43 AM
I've been wondering the same thing (Smith/Gado, not are you bored).

jAZ
08-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Interesting quotes from training camp (from another board) on the subject.
1. (Jonathan) McKenzie Smith #30 appears to be toast...He is mopey and getting little playing time
7. Holcombe looks great, T-Rich is fantastic....RB depth is very impressive...
I hadn't heard much about Smith (who after his NFLE experienc, I expected to hear quite a bit about). And at least in part that has to do with the fact that I didn't know he started going by his middle name after the NFLE season ended. But I guess it's also because no one has heard/seen much about him because he isn't doing well or playing much.

nychief
08-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Was Smith on our Practice Squad last year? I can't remember.

This debate is obviously only about the practice squad spot. Both of these guys seem like they have some potential to maybe be back-ups in the league.

jAZ
08-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Looks like DV is taking some notice of Gado too...
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=120907&highlight=vermeil+gado
One handoff Gado completed a great 30-yard run. Afterwards Coach Vermeil had encouraging words for Gado, "Sam your hot, you got a streak going. Momentum!"
And yes, I think Smith was on the PS last season, but if Holcombe is our #3 RB & #2 FB (freeing up a RB spot to use on someone else), then I think its sounding like Gado will be our PS guy and Smith will be hasta.

Or would be consider carring 2 RB's on the PS?

nychief
08-06-2005, 09:15 AM
I would assume one or another. What is the practice squad? 8 players right. So you can Assume Kilian, Booth are locks.

Deberg_1990
08-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Neither. Where is Jessie Haynes when you need him?

shaneo69
08-06-2005, 09:35 AM
I say just go with 4 RB's total, since Holcombe can play both TB and FB.

NaptownChief
08-06-2005, 09:51 AM
I would think there will be better backs hit the waiver wire real soon than either of them. Gado is a great story but you have to ask yourself if a guy who wasn't even a starter at a small college is NFL material? Maybe he is, I suppose it is possible his college coach was dumber than a bag of hammers. Sure wouldn't be the first time a coach qualified.

shaneo69
08-06-2005, 09:55 AM
I would think there will be better backs hit the waiver wire real soon than either of them. Gado is a great story but you have to ask yourself if a guy who wasn't even a starter at a small college is NFL material? Maybe he is, I suppose it is possible his college coach was dumber than a bag of hammers. Sure wouldn't be the first time a coach qualified.

Nap, you going to the Allstate (Brickyard) 400?

NaptownChief
08-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Nap, you going to the Allstate (Brickyard) 400?

Nope...Use to go in the early years of the event but the racing is just not designed for that track. Corners just aren't banked enough for those heavy machines and the racing just isn't very good. It isn't much more than a parade until the pits and then everyone scrambles in the pits and that is about the only passing that takes place.

If you go and watch the 500 and all the passing and excitement that goes on there not to mention much higher speeds it makes the 400 feel like a tank race.

shaneo69
08-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Nope...Use to go in the early years of the event but the racing is just not designed for that track. Corners just aren't banked enough for those heavy machines and the racing just isn't very good. It isn't much more than a parade until the pits and then everyone scrambles in the pits and that is about the only passing that takes place.

If you go and watch the 500 and all the passing and excitement that goes on there not to mention much higher speeds it makes the 400 feel like a tank race.

Never been to the 500, but this is my 5th year in a row for the Brickyard 400. I'm not even a Nascar fan, but it's a fun road trip.

Despite the difference in speed between the types of cars, I thought that the average speed for the winners of the two races at Indy have been surprisingly close.

NaptownChief
08-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Never been to the 500, but this is my 5th year in a row for the Brickyard 400. I'm not even a Nascar fan, but it's a fun road trip.

Despite the difference in speed between the types of cars, I thought that the average speed for the winners of the two races at Indy have been surprisingly close.

The average might end up similar but that would just be a byproduct of cautions. One of the very few places NASCAR doesn't have an enternal pararde of caution flags is Indy because so little passing action to cause problems. Actual speeds are almost 50 mph different. Top practice speeds for Indy is in the 230's while Nascar is in the low 180's.

You should make a road trip for the 500. It is pretty special.