PDA

View Full Version : First Madden 2006 review!

Hammock Parties
08-06-2005, 08:43 PM
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/639/639607p1.html

Terribilis
08-06-2005, 09:05 PM
that was a little depressing-
I was hoping it would be better

Hammock Parties
08-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I'm probably not going to use money to acquire it this year.

TRR
08-06-2005, 09:10 PM
They are gearing up for Madden 07 on PS2 and XBOX 360. I haven't been expecting too much out of this years game.

KCChiefsMan
08-06-2005, 09:20 PM
I for one can't wait! I was disappointed last year but I'm still gonna buy it this year too. I haven't missed a Madden game since the original, why stop now?

Jenson71
08-06-2005, 09:30 PM
"So if franchise is your predominate mode of play, like it is for many, this year it only gets better."

That's all I need to hear, thanks.

kcjayhawks5
08-06-2005, 09:37 PM
this is really only the opinion of one man. I have read another review, i think it was gamestop but im not sure, and they gave it a 5/5. the game should be better than last years though.

DJay23
08-06-2005, 10:46 PM
I got those curly numbers mixed up and thought the release date was today. I was all amped to go to the store and pick it up only for you bastards to tear me down.

Though I suppose I was spared some embarrassment.

DJay23
08-06-2005, 10:48 PM
and i should add that this will be the first Madden I've purchased since the 99 version.

ZootedGranny
08-06-2005, 10:52 PM
I got it last night, and while it doesn't feel like the full leap forward that EA promised, it is definitely more fun than 05.

*throws NCAA 06 in the trash*

Hammock Parties
08-06-2005, 10:54 PM
I got it last night, and while it doesn't feel like the full leap forward that EA promised, it is definitely more fun than 05.

*throws NCAA 06 in the trash*

Wow, really? Everything I've read makes it sound like Madden 2005 with some franchise fluff and QB vision thrown in.

Pitt Gorilla
08-06-2005, 10:58 PM

*throws NCAA 06 in the trash*What's wrong with NCAA 06? I was considering getting that for the Xbox.
:(

ZootedGranny
08-06-2005, 11:01 PM
It's really like 2005.75

The graphics are exactly the same, as are 90% of the animations. But the run game is much improved, and the vision cone really adds a lot to the game. You can look safeties off and go over the top on a CB now.

Especially with the Chiefs O-line, the vision cone really makes deceptive plays work better. I can presnap decide to look left, drop back for a screen, and at the last second look over to Priest and dump it off, and he'll have 3 or 4 blockers against a defense that slid all the way to the other side of the field.

The new Superstar mode, which I railed against prior to the game coming out, is somehow worse than I expected it to be.

If I had known then what I know now, I'd still buy the game. But I must say, it does feel like part of the Madden team did some quick work on this and moved onto the Xbox 360 version...the version I'm most excited about.

Hammock Parties
08-06-2005, 11:05 PM
How's the blocking? What about the return game?

ZootedGranny
08-06-2005, 11:12 PM
What's wrong with NCAA 06? I was considering getting that for the Xbox.
:(

I love the NCAA series, and up until the 05 version, I played it much more so than Madden. NCAA 2006 tried its best to go back to its glory year of 2004, and they did partly. The problem is that they introduced too many things that **** up the game, at least for me.

#1 Impact players. You can handle an impact CB, LB, WR, etc. But god forbid you either control, or play against an impact RB. At the drop of a hat they can become nearly unstoppable. Part of the reason is that the run blocking is improved, but you also become such a savage, its hard not to run for 250 a game. Just for an example, I decided to do nothing but run with Leon Washington from FSU to see how many yards I could get. On All American, with the sliders heavily favoring the CPU, and an A+ difficulty schedule, I still ran for 3600+ yards.

#2 The neutering of the defensive secondary. This is really the thing that frustrates me the most. For no reason whatsoever, it has become three times as hard to simply put a hand on a pass now. It used to be if you put yourself in the right position, you could break up the pass, if not intercept it. Not the case this year. At least 3 times a game, the WR will rip the ball out of your hands. 6 times you'll go to jump, and the cpu will decide that you want to go into a completely different animation, taking you out of the play. Honestly, the best case of action against some teams is to outright pass interfere them and hope it doesn't get called. It's worse than Madden 04 in that sense.

#3 The game is almost too fast. If you're in space trying to make a tackle, you better just let the play come to you. It used to be if you held turbo and hit a player, an animation would start the tackle. Now, you can hit a guy full force, and fall completely off. You're basically reduced to diving each play, and even that is a risky proposition. I've flown right into a guy several times, just for him to continue on like nothing's happened.

There are also a lot of other things, such as the entire NCAA QB roster completing over 60% of their passes, and guys like Leinart throwing over an 80% completion rate. Then there are the blatantly missed calls. I've stepped completely out of bounds at the 30 and ran it into the endzone, or been tackled, laying on the ground and the ball comes out and its ruled a fumble.

It's infuriating at some points, how the game seems to take control away from you.

ZootedGranny
08-06-2005, 11:16 PM
How's the blocking? What about the return game?

The run and pass blocking is much better. Sweeps and tosses actually work, and give you cutback lanes. Now, presnap, you can tell your offensive line to shift a certain way, just like the defense can spread their line. So, call a sweep and move the line the direction of the sweep, and guys are going to get manhandled.

The return game is barely improved. Dante feels faster, but he can still get taken down by slower players, even if he has the angle on them. The punt game is going to need slider adjustment, because I played 3 games in a row where I had to call a fair catch every punt.

Crush
08-06-2005, 11:32 PM
I think I'll stick with Madden Football 64.

kcxiv
08-07-2005, 01:39 AM
2k game was better then madden ever was. Its a real shame i have only 1 game to choose from. I need my football fix though.

Demonpenz
08-07-2005, 01:52 AM
i like playing madden sometimes but i don't understand the people who play until like year 2030 i just think it's more work than fun

KCChiefsMan
08-07-2005, 02:52 AM
ya I found out a few days ago that I need to go on a business trip to Wichita for my internship on the 8-11....honestly, the first thought threw my mind was....But Madden comes out on the 9th....so I have to wait until the 12th to freakin play it :banghead: :cuss:

TRR
08-07-2005, 08:56 AM
ZootedGranny,
How did you get the game last night? Nobody is suppose to release until 12:01 on August 9th.

Thig Lyfe
08-07-2005, 09:18 AM
I am definitely getting it. Haven't missed a version since 2001. Franchise mode is what I dig, so it should be great.

Adept Havelock
08-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Loved Madden until last years 2K game, which I felt did a much better job.

Now, EA locks out the competition with an "exclusive" NFL license, and puts out an inferior product. Spent last night playing Madden '06 (the internet being the key to time-travel :) ) and can't see much difference.

Shoddy work EA. No dollars from me this year. Time to d/l a new fanmade 2K5 roster, and wait for the new games on Xbox 360.

Bearcat
08-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Then there are the blatantly missed calls. I've stepped completely out of bounds at the 30 and ran it into the endzone, or been tackled, laying on the ground and the ball comes out and its ruled a fumble.

I've caught one out of bounds that was called a catch (but the whistle blew)... and I've seen some weird fumble calls.

I really don't get some of that stuff.... take the physics last year... they completely screwed them up, and now they're fine again. Why change it?

I know how complex these games are, but I thought that's why they paid people to test the games :shrug:

Not once have I seen a kicked ball land on the ground and bounce any other way but forward, and it's always the same type of bounce. It's really frustrating to punt and never have the ball bounce straight up/backwards. Why change it? ...and if it got changed after changing something else, fix it! It was fine! :banghead:

#1 Impact players. You can handle an impact CB, LB, WR, etc. But god forbid you either control, or play against an impact RB. At the drop of a hat they can become nearly unstoppable. Part of the reason is that the run blocking is improved, but you also become such a savage, its hard not to run for 250 a game. Just for an example, I decided to do nothing but run with Leon Washington from FSU to see how many yards I could get. On All American, with the sliders heavily favoring the CPU, and an A+ difficulty schedule, I still ran for 3600+ yards.

Totally agree. I ran for over 3000 yards last year using South Carolina's Impact RB, and I've had no luck making it more realistic in terms of YPC (well, without just falling down after 5 yards). It's one more idea EA took way too far...

#2 The neutering of the defensive secondary. This is really the thing that frustrates me the most. For no reason whatsoever, it has become three times as hard to simply put a hand on a pass now. It used to be if you put yourself in the right position, you could break up the pass, if not intercept it. Not the case this year. At least 3 times a game, the WR will rip the ball out of your hands. 6 times you'll go to jump, and the cpu will decide that you want to go into a completely different animation, taking you out of the play. Honestly, the best case of action against some teams is to outright pass interfere them and hope it doesn't get called. It's worse than Madden 04 in that sense.

I've gotten a LOT better at this... sometimes though, if I was up by 21, and the catchup mode has kicked in, I'll interfere instead of giving up the TD. I've gotten better at timing, but I still hate that sometimes you'll just fly off in another direction...

ZootedGranny
08-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Just caught a long pass on 3rd down with Freddie Mitchell.

He got up and instantly did the People's Champ (not Paul Wall) belt motion violent as a mother****er! I LOVE IT!

kcjayhawks5
08-07-2005, 01:51 PM
i didnt even know freddie was in the game. i looked on the roster for the chiefs and diidnt see him on there but thats awesome that he is ont he team.

ZootedGranny
08-07-2005, 01:59 PM
He was in the free agent pool, he's rated an 82.

Another awesome new animation I saw was when I broke a run off tackle left. I was busy admiring a vicious, blow his body into the air block by Brian Waters when the guy Wiegmann was blocking reached out and hit me up high. My helmet came off but I still ran for 5 more yards before I got tackled.

Very awesome.

kcjayhawks5
08-07-2005, 02:02 PM
i cant wait man. only 2 more days

Demonpenz
08-07-2005, 02:10 PM
i wonders how much madden 05 will drop

ZootedGranny
08-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Last time I nerd out for the day:

I still have yet to fully grasp the controls. After playing NCAA, I find myself trying to juke with the stick, stiff arm with different buttons, its a pain in the ass.

I'm getting closer and closer to becoming good with the vision cone under pressure. Even with Trent's awareness, the cone moves quicker than I'd like. Fortunately, I remembered you can lock onto a player pretty quickly.

I have yet to throw for over 200 yards on All Pro, but the computer is having the same difficulty, as my pass defense has been much better than recent years, partially due to the new shading technique, and being able to see the QBs line of vision. Pre snap, you can jam a WR, and force him to go a direction. So if you're going to have help over the top, you can bump him to the outside and have your safety come down on him and eat up that cushion. Likewise, you can force them inside and set up INTs with your LBs.

I posted my first shutout in about 4 months, beating down the Saints 45-0. Derrick Johnson was pedestrian until the 4th quarter, where he singlehandedly took over the game and put up one of the best statlines I've ever had with a LB.

First 3 quarters: 2 tackles.
Fourth quarter: 3 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 deflected passes, 2 INTs...one for a TD, 1 forced fumble for a TD

The best play was when I took him, dropped him into coverage and locked down Ernie Conwell on the other side of the field. I saw Brooks drop the cone, and I took off after him. Brooks weaves through the o-line, I scream across the line of scrimmage and annihilate him, causing the ball to pop out. I snatch it up, hurdle Brooks' lifeless body, stiff arm Deuce McAllister and house it for 30 yards.

mcfara
08-07-2005, 02:42 PM
If I had known then what I know now, I'd still buy the game. But I must say, it does feel like part of the Madden team did some quick work on this and moved onto the Xbox 360 version...the version I'm most excited about.

exactly, the next gen systems will really be where the advancements are made...and if ea can get away with doing that and still selling millions of copies for the current systems then more power to them....they did pay a crap load for exclusive rights...it's not stopping me or anyone i know from buying it

kcxiv
08-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Loved Madden until last years 2K game, which I felt did a much better job.

Now, EA locks out the competition with an "exclusive" NFL license, and puts out an inferior product. Spent last night playing Madden '06 (the internet being the key to time-travel :) ) and can't see much difference.

Shoddy work EA. No dollars from me this year. Time to d/l a new fanmade 2K5 roster, and wait for the new games on Xbox 360.
2k was way way better then madden ever was. Sad thing is 2k game only been out sinde 2001. and madden been out for 15 years. I will buy madden due to i need the new players, cuse i play online alot. There is no way to update online rosters on 2k5, if they did with the new guys i wouldnt even think about buying madden lol.

And i dont really blame ea for buying the exclusive license. I blame NFL and NFLPA more, i dont know what the hell they were thinking. Them assholes.

RedDread
08-07-2005, 03:36 PM
OMG I am getting my copy tomorrow at 12:01 AM at the westport gamestop. I'll be the dude with the Priest Holmes jersey on punching people to get to the front of the line.

"Back off Biatch, Veterans first!"

Wallcrawler
08-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Sounds like Ill be playing ESPN 2K5 for another season.

I figured this year's Madden would be a halfassed attempt at a new release, with the PS3 and XBOX 360 just around the corner.

I would have figured the pride factor would have kicked in after the steaming pile of elephant crap that was Madden 05 was released.

But I guess when you've cornered the market, it doesnt matter how bad you look, because if the fans want new football games, youre the only source.

Pants
08-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Sounds like Ill be playing ESPN 2K5 for another season.

I figured this year's Madden would be a halfassed attempt at a new release, with the PS3 and XBOX 360 just around the corner.

I would have figured the pride factor would have kicked in after the steaming pile of elephant crap that was Madden 05 was released.

But I guess when you've cornered the market, it doesnt matter how bad you look, because if the fans want new football games, youre the only source.

Ditto.

suds79
08-07-2005, 09:06 PM
I have a couple of problems with IGN's review

1st - "using the cone only makes passing more difficult, not more efficient. It would be fine if it added a little twist or modification to your passing philosophies, but instead, it's too much of a hindrance"

I guess he'll just have to practice then. In previous Madden's who was the most dangerous QB? Vick. Now who's the most dangerous QB in real life? Manning. They had to do something to the passing game to favor the passing QBs.

2nd - "Calculate if you will, the time that takes, and how simple it is to complete while Ed Reed is flying toward you on a safety blitz. Not Easy. Play on All-Pro or All-Madden difficulty, and you'll only have time to make one or two reads before your QB is lying facedown in the dirt with six sweaty linemen on top of him."

Well no cr@p. What does this guy think QBs get to their 3rd or 4th progression on heavy blitzes? No. Perhaps this guy should take a page out of football 101 and realize that a QB can see the threat of an Ed Reed blitz before the snap? Espically if the Saftey is anywhere close to the line. He needs to identify guys who could be open.

Overally I'm really looking forward to this years Madden.

By the way. How do some of you have it already. Doesn't it come out on the 9th?

Pants
08-07-2005, 10:03 PM
By the way. How do some of you have it already. Doesn't it come out on the 9th?

Intraweb is a special and magical place.

Den9899
08-07-2005, 10:04 PM
My roommate works at Electronics Boutique and brought it home early. It gets a thumbs up in my book.

tk13
08-07-2005, 10:18 PM
2nd - "Calculate if you will, the time that takes, and how simple it is to complete while Ed Reed is flying toward you on a safety blitz. Not Easy. Play on All-Pro or All-Madden difficulty, and you'll only have time to make one or two reads before your QB is lying facedown in the dirt with six sweaty linemen on top of him."

Well no cr@p. What does this guy think QBs get to their 3rd or 4th progression on heavy blitzes? No. Perhaps this guy should take a page out of football 101 and realize that a QB can see the threat of an Ed Reed blitz before the snap? Espically if the Saftey is anywhere close to the line. He needs to identify guys who could be open.

Same thing I thought when I read it, exactly. Sounds like realistic football to me....

Hammock Parties
08-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Intraweb is a special and magical place.

You fugga's with the modded ps2's.... :cuss:

Still waiting on PC version. :(

Pants
08-07-2005, 10:20 PM
You fugga's with the modded ps2's.... :cuss:

Still waiting on PC version. :(

Or Xbox. I'm not buying or dling Madden, f*ck that shit, I got my 2K5. I will get the next gen Madden, though.

Demonpenz
08-07-2005, 10:20 PM
i love it when people are like arg this game sucks because i suck at it. I am completely ****ing retarded when it comes to halo or any first person shooter with multiplayer but i know thats it's me who sucks

tk13
08-07-2005, 10:29 PM
i love it when people are like arg this game sucks because i suck at it. I am completely ****ing retarded when it comes to halo or any first person shooter with multiplayer but i know thats it's me who sucks
Yeah, there is some truth to that. Plus, it seems like I'm good at things others aren't, or I suck at things everybody else is good at. Like everybody seemed to like Madden 2005 and hate 2004. I didn't hate 2005, but I had a real hard time messing with the sliders that played the best for me and made things pretty accurate. And on 2004, I loved that game, I had a lot of fun with it, played numerous seasons with the Chiefs without much of a problem. Most everybody else seemed to hate how that played and there was too much offense, but I'd play some pretty realistic games... like San Diego buffed up their D a few years into my dynasty, and I'd get into 9-6, 13-10 wars with them every time... and Pittsburgh and their 3-4 always seemed to have my number. The first year I got to the Super Bowl, I beat them 24-23 in the AFC title game when I blocked a long FG with about :24 seconds left, marched down the field, and hit a long FG to send me to the Super Bowl. It was fun.

Demonpenz
08-07-2005, 10:31 PM
i have a question about 05 i only played it like twice but could you not put a WR at TE in 04 i would put bo in at tight end after i traded TG then i played 05 and it wouldn't like me play T.O. from the eagles at TE. In my ususal rapup demon commentary at the end of the game i just asked imaginary questions to TO so what was that spout about TO? That white devil andy reid wanted me to play TE can you believe that shit!

Demonpenz
08-07-2005, 10:32 PM
3-4 is hard to get outside then when you bust them up the middle all you get is like 3 yards

Hammock Parties
08-07-2005, 10:33 PM
i have a question about 05 i only played it like twice but could you not put a WR at TE in 04 i would put bo in at tight end after i traded TG then i played 05 and it wouldn't like me play T.O. from the eagles at TE. In my ususal rapup demon commentary at the end of the game i just asked imaginary questions to TO so what was that spout about TO? That white devil andy reid wanted me to play TE can you believe that shit!

Are you high?

Crush
08-07-2005, 10:34 PM
2K5 was the bomb. Kris Wilson was a stud in my five year franchise.

Demonpenz
08-07-2005, 10:40 PM
i am always high

Demonpenz
08-07-2005, 10:41 PM
man i want to create a thread about kcroyals.com completely imploding. I am tired of this youth movement shit A's are in a youth movement but they are good youth we just have young shitty players out there.

tk13
08-07-2005, 10:47 PM
man i want to create a thread about kcroyals.com completely imploding. I am tired of this youth movement shit A's are in a youth movement but they are good youth we just have young shitty players out there.
ROFL I know what you're doing. Don't even get me started. You're not doing it, I just don't even go there most of the time anymore, don't want to lose brain cells. The entire franchise is ruined because we didn't trade Terrence Long, I know.

Demonpenz
08-07-2005, 10:51 PM
ROFL I know what you're doing. Don't even get me started. You're not doing it, I just don't even go there most of the time anymore, don't want to lose brain cells. The entire franchise is ruined because we didn't trade Terrence Long, I know.

I knew it was going to be bad but when like 2 of the threads are "Assasinate allan baird" the place has officially imploded

Crush
08-07-2005, 11:39 PM
poor Royals

kcjayhawks5
08-08-2005, 02:08 AM
poor Royals

i second that :(

Lzen
08-08-2005, 08:19 AM
2k was way way better then madden ever was. Sad thing is 2k game only been out sinde 2001. and madden been out for 15 years. I will buy madden due to i need the new players, cuse i play online alot. There is no way to update online rosters on 2k5, if they did with the new guys i wouldnt even think about buying madden lol.

And i dont really blame ea for buying the exclusive license. I blame NFL and NFLPA more, i dont know what the hell they were thinking. Them assholes.

2k5 had it's plusses. But to say that it was way better tha Madden is just being a fanboy, IMO. I own both and to me, they're about the same. 2k5 is stronger than Madden in some areas but Madden is stronger than 2k5 in other areas. I guess it all depends on what is most important to you. As for me, I rarely play online any longer and I've always been a huge franchise gamer. And franchise mode is where Madden excels, IMO.

Yeah, there is some truth to that. Plus, it seems like I'm good at things others aren't, or I suck at things everybody else is good at. Like everybody seemed to like Madden 2005 and hate 2004. I didn't hate 2005, but I had a real hard time messing with the sliders that played the best for me and made things pretty accurate. And on 2004, I loved that game, I had a lot of fun with it, played numerous seasons with the Chiefs without much of a problem. Most everybody else seemed to hate how that played and there was too much offense, but I'd play some pretty realistic games... like San Diego buffed up their D a few years into my dynasty, and I'd get into 9-6, 13-10 wars with them every time... and Pittsburgh and their 3-4 always seemed to have my number. The first year I got to the Super Bowl, I beat them 24-23 in the AFC title game when I blocked a long FG with about :24 seconds left, marched down the field, and hit a long FG to send me to the Super Bowl. It was fun.

I always have a harder time against a 3-4 defense in Madden. BTW, it took me awhile but I came up with some good slider settings for 05 that make the games pretty realistic, IMO.

Thig Lyfe
08-08-2005, 08:41 AM
What's everybody's thought on the passing cone? I'm starting to become unsure of it. Who's going to use it?