PDA

View Full Version : IP Address question

luv
08-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Usually, whenever my computer get illegally shut down (like power outages), I lose my IP address. It goes to 0.0.0.0. Well, I was going to reply to a thread on here last night, but the reply page came up as unable to be found or whatever. I checked, and I had lost connectivity due to my IP address being 0.0.0.0 again. I got off of it for the night, and checked today when I got up. It had automatically reconfigured an IP address (which is what I have it set up to do). My question is, what caused it to change to 0.0.0.0 out of the blue last night?

Simplex3
08-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Your PC was unable to renew it's lease with the dhcp server.

You don't have to just walk away and wait. In every version of Windows I can remember you can run this from the command line to get it to renew and get a new address:

ipconfig /renew

Give that a shot next time.

Mr. Laz
08-07-2005, 01:30 PM
i believe the windows xp "repair" function also renews the ip

luv
08-07-2005, 01:47 PM
i believe the windows xp "repair" function also renews the ip
I tried that, but it always comes up saying it was unable to finish repairing due to not having an IP.

luv
08-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Your PC was unable to renew it's lease with the dhcp server.

You don't have to just walk away and wait. In every version of Windows I can remember you can run this from the command line to get it to renew and get a new address:

ipconfig /renew

Give that a shot next time.
Cool! Thanks! I have been typing in ipconfig /all, but that just brings up what is already on there. Thanks a lot for the tip, I will try that next time. Hopefully, not for awhile. :)

Kerberos
08-08-2005, 06:23 AM
If you are on broadband (cable or DSL) and if you "Don't" have a router/gateway/firewall I would suggest getting one not ONLY for the firewall protection but MOST routers/gateways you can use STATIC IP and unless your computer is having WEIRD problems it will never go away or get changed.

Every computer in my house has a static IP/subnet/gateway address on them as well as DNS static addresses. Works like a charm and I don't have to worry about DHCP handing out duplicates either. ;)

htismaqe
08-08-2005, 07:34 AM
If you are on broadband (cable or DSL) and if you "Don't" have a router/gateway/firewall I would suggest getting one not ONLY for the firewall protection but MOST routers/gateways you can use STATIC IP and unless your computer is having WEIRD problems it will never go away or get changed.

Every computer in my house has a static IP/subnet/gateway address on them as well as DNS static addresses. Works like a charm and I don't have to worry about DHCP handing out duplicates either. ;)

You shouldn't ever have a problem with duplicate addresses in today's DHCP environment. Most DHCP services, even very basic ones, do a very good job at duplicate detection. Also, most DHCP services, as well as Windows, keep track of MAC addresses, so that the same machine always gets the same address.

I use static for my wired machines and DHCP for wireless.

Kerberos
08-08-2005, 10:45 AM
You shouldn't ever have a problem with duplicate addresses in today's DHCP environment. Most DHCP services, even very basic ones, do a very good job at duplicate detection. Also, most DHCP services, as well as Windows, keep track of MAC addresses, so that the same machine always gets the same address.

I use static for my wired machines and DHCP for wireless.

Agreed on the DHCP. I only have 4 machines running so the chances of getting duplicates are pretty slim.

At work we ghost up to 40 machines at a time and once in a while it will give out duplicates but that is to be expected once in while.

I am going to upgrade to a wireless router soon so I can bring my notebook home from work and sit in the TV room with my son and get some work done and check email at the same time wirelessly! I will do the same and keep static on wired machines and let the router had out the addresses wirelessly.

Speaking of wireless....I am sitting in a classroom ghosting wireless lab carts that have 30 notebooks each. Gotta pull'em all out of the cart and plug them into the ethernet from the switch to ghost. wireless ghost would be insane. But it is pretty kewl cause these notebooks have 40GB hard drives and we ghost about 3.2GB(compressed) or 4.6GB (uncompressed) in around 8-9 minutes per session. What takes the longest time is going around to each one and renaming the computer and joining it to the domain and then getting them each to find thier respective (Cisco)wireless router.

Just makes for fun when I got 20 or so carts to get done!

:)

Peace

htismaqe
08-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Agreed on the DHCP. I only have 4 machines running so the chances of getting duplicates are pretty slim.

At work we ghost up to 40 machines at a time and once in a while it will give out duplicates but that is to be expected once in while.

I am going to upgrade to a wireless router soon so I can bring my notebook home from work and sit in the TV room with my son and get some work done and check email at the same time wirelessly! I will do the same and keep static on wired machines and let the router had out the addresses wirelessly.

Speaking of wireless....I am sitting in a classroom ghosting wireless lab carts that have 30 notebooks each. Gotta pull'em all out of the cart and plug them into the ethernet from the switch to ghost. wireless ghost would be insane. But it is pretty kewl cause these notebooks have 40GB hard drives and we ghost about 3.2GB(compressed) or 4.6GB (uncompressed) in around 8-9 minutes per session. What takes the longest time is going around to each one and renaming the computer and joining it to the domain and then getting them each to find thier respective (Cisco)wireless router.

Just makes for fun when I got 20 or so carts to get done!

Peace

What the heck were you using to serve-up addresses? I've used MS DHCP and NetID in environments with THOUSANDS of devices and not had a problem with duplicates.

luv
08-08-2005, 11:16 AM
I have got Norton Personal Firewall enabled and Microsoft AntiSpyware active. Is this what you guys are talking about? I kinda got lost in your posts....wayyyy over my head. I have the problem of having the message pop up saying that my address duplicated another on the network. I believe that's why it gets reset to 0.0.0.0. I have cable internet that is included in my rent. There's a double outlet in my wall. One is for voice (phone), and the other is for data (cable).

Kerberos
08-08-2005, 11:43 AM
I have got Norton Personal Firewall enabled and Microsoft AntiSpyware active. Is this what you guys are talking about? I kinda got lost in your posts....wayyyy over my head. I have the problem of having the message pop up saying that my address duplicated another on the network. I believe that's why it gets reset to 0.0.0.0. I have cable internet that is included in my rent. There's a double outlet in my wall. One is for voice (phone), and the other is for data (cable).

IMO ... If you can go from the data port to a Linksys or D-Link router/gateway/firewall then you could let the router give you an address instead of whatever the Landlord/building network is giving out. Cut out the middle man and let your own router give you and address.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=59

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416832406&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Once the router is hooked up and ON you wouldn't really have to worry about it losing an address.

AND you would have the comfort of knowing you are behind a firewall on your side of the data port.

my.02

Kerberos
08-08-2005, 11:51 AM
What the heck were you using to serve-up addresses? I've used MS DHCP and NetID in environments with THOUSANDS of devices and not had a problem with duplicates.

I guess I should have said EVERY once in a great while it happens. Not often at all, but it does happen.

Usually a reboot of the machine or release renew does the trick.

I know we use MS DHCP with 3rd party software to help eliminate the duplicates.

Ghosting, most of the time, is the culprite when you got 40+ machines with the same name re-booting at the same time?

Simplex3
08-08-2005, 12:27 PM
I have the problem of having the message pop up saying that my address duplicated another on the network. I believe that's why it gets reset to 0.0.0.0. I have cable internet that is included in my rent. There's a double outlet in my wall. One is for voice (phone), and the other is for data (cable).

Your landlord has a single connection to the Internet and then is using a NAT router to deliver service to all of his units. Odds are he doesn't have the DHCP server configured with enough addresses to go around. Normally a DHCP server will give the same address back to your computer every time so that the ARP tables don't have to be updated, but if that address has been claimed by someone else it will give you another open one. If there are no open IPs then you'll get nothing and your PC will continue to try and get a new lease.

Tell your landlord to add more IP addresses to the pool. When they say "what the hell does that mean" tell them to call me and I'll fix it for $2,000. :)

htismaqe
08-08-2005, 12:51 PM
IMO ... If you can go from the data port to a Linksys or D-Link router/gateway/firewall then you could let the router give you an address instead of whatever the Landlord/building network is giving out. Cut out the middle man and let your own router give you and address.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416832406&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Once the router is hooked up and ON you wouldn't really have to worry about it losing an address.

AND you would have the comfort of knowing you are behind a firewall on your side of the data port.

my.02

Adding a d-link or linksys FW/router would solve the issue for her computer, but then that device would be having IP conflicts with other users in her building potentially.

Like Simplex said, tell Mr. Landlord to add more DHCP addresses to his pool.

luv
08-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Your landlord has a single connection to the Internet and then is using a NAT router to deliver service to all of his units. Odds are he doesn't have the DHCP server configured with enough addresses to go around. Normally a DHCP server will give the same address back to your computer every time so that the ARP tables don't have to be updated, but if that address has been claimed by someone else it will give you another open one. If there are no open IPs then you'll get nothing and your PC will continue to try and get a new lease.

Tell your landlord to add more IP addresses to the pool. When they say "what the hell does that mean" tell them to call me and I'll fix it for $2,000. :)
I'm just one of SEVERAL units. There are five buildings completed, with 24 units in each building. There are at least three more buildings going up now. I have a one bedroom, so there is only one hookup in here. I am not sure about the two or three bedroom units. The office is part of a mini strip mall along the main road with all of us back behind. I'm sure they don't have problems at the office. They probably have a separate connection.

luv
08-08-2005, 01:11 PM

my.02

I see the price for the d-link is $59. How much does the other run usually?

luv
08-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Adding a d-link or linksys FW/router would solve the issue for her computer, but then that device would be having IP conflicts with other users in her building potentially.

Like Simplex said, tell Mr. Landlord to add more DHCP addresses to his pool.
So go ahead and get a router, but still let my landlord know about the problem? The first time it ever happened, the office referred me to a company they use (not the internet provider). They said if they charged for a service call, then the bill would be on me. They came out, but I never received a bill, thank goodness. They are the ones who put the Microsoft AntiSpyware on my computer.

htismaqe
08-08-2005, 01:19 PM
So go ahead and get a router, but still let my landlord know about the problem? The first time it ever happened, the office referred me to a company they use (not the internet provider). They said if they charged for a service call, then the bill would be on me. They came out, but I never received a bill, thank goodness. They are the ones who put the Microsoft AntiSpyware on my computer.

The company that came out is a system integrator. They're likely the company that installed the internet in your complex -- from a network design standpoint, we refer to that as a multi-tenant broadband network. If the problem is what I think it is, it has ZERO to do with your computer. The system is not configured to handle the number of users your landlord has sold it to. And considering that the SI put MS Anti-Spyware on your computer, it wouldn't surprise me that it's configured wrong. MS AS is pretty much worthless.

You don't need a router. While it would give you some added protection, it won't do anything to fix your problem.

Is the Internet service part of your lease? If so, tell you landlord to fix it and if he sends you a bill, tell him to shove it up his ass.

luv
08-08-2005, 01:29 PM
The company that came out is a system integrator. They're likely the company that installed the internet in your complex -- from a network design standpoint, we refer to that as a multi-tenant broadband network. If the problem is what I think it is, it has ZERO to do with your computer. The system is not configured to handle the number of users your landlord has sold it to. And considering that the SI put MS Anti-Spyware on your computer, it wouldn't surprise me that it's configured wrong. MS AS is pretty much worthless.

You don't need a router. While it would give you some added protection, it won't do anything to fix your problem.

Is the Internet service part of your lease? If so, tell you landlord to fix it and if he sends you a bill, tell him to shove it up his ass.
I know that the it is included in my rent. I don't think that having the the landlord fix the IP issue should come out of my pocketbook. It should be just like the AC I had fixed this past week. The guy who put it in did a very bad job, but it was up to my landlord to get it fixed. I think this is a similar situation. If they are going to offer it as part of my rent, then they should make sure it runs properly.

Thanks for the advice.

htismaqe
08-08-2005, 02:00 PM
I know that the it is included in my rent. I don't think that having the the landlord fix the IP issue should come out of my pocketbook. It should be just like the AC I had fixed this past week. The guy who put it in did a very bad job, but it was up to my landlord to get it fixed. I think this is a similar situation. If they are going to offer it as part of my rent, then they should make sure it runs properly.

Thanks for the advice.

No problem. You're 100% right.

Simplex3
08-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Sounds like the "company" they paid to have it set up is somebody's nephew. Anyone worth their ass would have immediately checked the lease pool and seen that they were out.

Just an FYI, every time they add a new tennant this is going to get worse. It will escalate to the point where you won't be able to get on at all. Seriously, tell your complex this exact thing:

"I was talking to several guys that have been doing IT for over a decade each and they told me that you guys need to add more addresses to the DHCP pool. I don't know what that means but they say the people who installed the equipment on your end have to do it and it has to be done on your equipment, not on my computer."

htismaqe
08-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Sounds like the "company" they paid to have it set up is somebody's nephew. Anyone worth their ass would have immediately checked the lease pool and seen that they were out.

Just an FYI, every time they add a new tennant this is going to get worse. It will escalate to the point where you won't be able to get on at all. Seriously, tell your complex this exact thing:

"I was talking to several guys that have been doing IT for over a decade each and they told me that you guys need to add more addresses to the DHCP pool. I don't know what that means but they say the people who installed the equipment on your end have to do it and it has to be done on your equipment, not on my computer."

Bingo.

luv
08-09-2005, 12:34 PM

I emailed my landlord about a couple of thing last night when I got home. Parking is a continual issue whenever the closest spot I can find when I get home from work at 1AM if halfway across the friggin parking lot! Anyway, I quoted you word for word after a short explanation of my problem (bumping me off for duplicate IP). My landlord knocked on my door at 11:30 this morning, doing a survey of who drives what car. I loved it because I told her I could not remember my license number. When she asked where I was parked so she could walk by and get it, I got the chance to tell her that I was parked way out by the pool entrance. Okay, rambling now. That being said, it looks like I will be getting a reply to the email I sent. I hope they include something about things being done with the IP situation. Thanks again for all of you guys' help. I really do appreciate it. Rep to you all, whether I already have or not.