PDA

View Full Version : "It was never about the money for Steve."

Red Dawg
08-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Of course not Papa Young. I'm sure money never crossed his mind. He would have played for free.

I hate it when players and in this case his dad saying that money has nothing to do with anything. Like he chose the USFL becasue it was better than the NFL. He went because they gave him 40 mil you ****'in liar! Just like A-rod went to Texas, but it wasn't about the money.

FloridaMan88
08-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Young's dad took forever with his speech and it was rambling and boring.

On the other hand I thought Marino's son did a great job. The kid is a good speaker and Marino's speech was pretty good also, not too sappy, not too long and at the end he threw a pass to Mark Clayton.

chiefs4me
08-07-2005, 05:07 PM
I thought all the speeches were great, and shed a few tears during them......I also don't care for the diss on Young, so if that is all you had to say, keep it to yourself.

JOhn
08-07-2005, 05:11 PM
I thought all the speeches were great, and shed a few tears during them......I also don't care for the diss on Young, so if that is all you had to say, keep it to yourself.
Well then don't read it. Got every right to diss on Young.

Fact of the matter is agree, Young wasn't that great IMO.

Hammock Parties
08-07-2005, 06:55 PM
I guess I missed it. Is it re-airing?

jspchief
08-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Ya, saying is wasn't about the money for Young is a load of sh*t.

He took 40 million to play in the USFL, over playing in the NFL.

If it wasn't about the money, what was it about? Playing in a half-rate league?

The guy was a hell of a QB once he finally got on the right team. The same team that made Elvis Grbac look good. His accomplishments probably still earn him a spot in the HoF, but I'm not sure he should have been first ballot.

Bowser
08-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Hahaha... everybody, I'd like to announce the chiefs4me addendum to the acceptable use guidelines. If chiefs4me doesn't like what you have to say, you are now no longer allowed to post it. Remember, folks, this place revolves around her. We need to make her stay here as pleasant as possible.

Stupid twunt.

I only post here in hopes of being belittled by Her Majesty chiefs4me. Reading her snappy put downs is like reading mandate straight from God.

Oh wait, no it isn't. Twunt, indeed. Heh.......

chiefs4me
08-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Hahaha... everybody, I'd like to announce the chiefs4me addendum to the acceptable use guidelines. If chiefs4me doesn't like what you have to say, you are now no longer allowed to post it. Remember, folks, this place revolves around her. We need to make her stay here as pleasant as possible.

Stupid twunt.

:rolleyes:

I just give up on you....do you ever stop, you leave me daily ugly comments, **** with my account and just look for my posts..let's get this over with, shall we...so fly on down here and we will drop the gloves and have at it..ROFL

Hammock Parties
08-07-2005, 07:16 PM

I just give up on you....do you ever stop, you leave me daily ugly comments, **** with my account and just look for my posts..let's get this over with, shall we...so fly on down here and we will drop the gloves and have at it..ROFL

You think you could kick a man's ass?

chiefs4me
08-07-2005, 07:17 PM
I only post here in hopes of being belittled by Her Majesty chiefs4me. Reading her snappy put downs is like reading mandate straight from God.

Oh wait, no it isn't. Twunt, indeed. Heh.......

then you must be lonely.....because I am hardly here at all anymore...:p

chiefs4me
08-07-2005, 07:19 PM
You think you could kick a man's ass?

ROFL.....I don't know...but I am willing to give it a try.ROFL

Skip Towne
08-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Hey KC88, are you going to take orders from a woman?

4th and Long
08-07-2005, 07:23 PM
[Steve Young]It was never about the money.[/Steve Young]
[Peyton Manning]It was never about the money.[/Peyton Manning]
[Ty Law]It was never about the money.[/Ty Law]

Skip Towne
08-07-2005, 07:25 PM

You're damn lucky I'm not a mod.

chiefs4me
08-07-2005, 08:01 PM
You're damn lucky I'm not a mod.

ROFL....well looky what the kitty cat drug in...ROFL

I think most of the board is lucky you aren't a mod.:p

Pants
08-07-2005, 08:07 PM

Stupid twunt.

Can we do the erongi labolg thing again?

Hammock Parties
08-07-2005, 08:08 PM
http://www.dheth.com/cjheth/images/sup.jpg

chiefs4me
08-07-2005, 08:22 PM
http://www.dheth.com/cjheth/images/sup.jpg

ROFL

FRCDFED
08-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Youngs stats were pretty decent; however, that whole "get the monkey off my back" bs just doesn't fly with me.

He will always be in the shadow of Joe Montana and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence talent wise. Young inherited a Super Bowl team from Montana just like George Seifert inherited the coaching job from Bill Walsh.

Both of their stats and winning percentage should have an asterick!

My .02

FRCDFED
08-07-2005, 08:43 PM
It's no different than the homers over here in St. Louis talking about Martz' winning percentage......he inherited a SB team as well!

Hammock Parties
08-07-2005, 08:45 PM
I agree, bhud.

mikey23545
08-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Youngs stats were pretty decent; however, that whole "get the monkey off my back" bs just doesn't fly with me.

He will always be in the shadow of Joe Montana and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence talent wise. Young inherited a Super Bowl team from Montana just like George Seifert inherited the coaching job from Bill Walsh.

My .02

I pity you in your ignorance....

Frazod
08-07-2005, 08:48 PM
F#ck Young. One of my all-time favorite Chiefs games was the one where Montana bribed DT with cheeseburgers to beat Young's ass all day long.

:$2500:

chefsos
08-07-2005, 08:51 PM
F#ck Young. One of my all-time favorite Chiefs games was the one where Montana bribed DT with cheeseburgers to beat Young's ass all day long.

Just imagine if Young had finished his career with the Donks.

Hammock Parties
08-07-2005, 08:52 PM

Really? I never heard that story.

I watched the game, though. That was an ass-kicking by the D that day.

Frazod
08-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Really? I never heard that story.

I watched the game, though. That was an ass-kicking by the D that day.

Montana and Young hated each other (for obvious reasons). Immediately after that game, in the locker room, Montana approached Derrick. Derrick said something to the effect of "Do you have what you owe me?" Montana grinned and handed him a bag of cheeseburgers. Derrick later said that he had "done some work for Joe today."

:evil:

mikey23545
08-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Too bad Montana never offered him a lifetime supply of Whoppers to stop the run.....

KCJake
08-07-2005, 09:04 PM

My .02
Absolutely right :clap:

mikey23545
08-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Yeah, six passing titles and two Super Bowl wins are "decent" stats.....

chiefs4me
08-07-2005, 09:15 PM

I really can't believe we are all having this discussion....I think some are just jealous of Young.:harumph: Remind me again how many SB's Dan won...:rolleyes:

Hammock Parties
08-07-2005, 09:18 PM

What? He only won one Super Bowl as a starter.

milkman
08-07-2005, 09:18 PM
I really can't believe we are all having this discussion....I think some are just jealous of Young.:harumph: Remind me again how many SB's Dan won...:rolleyes:

Yeah.

Remind me of all those outstanding RBs and great defenses that Dan played with.

Red Dawg
08-07-2005, 09:29 PM

The guy was a hell of a QB once he finally got on the right team. The same team that made Elvis Grbac look good. His accomplishments probably still earn him a spot in the HoF, but I'm not sure he should have been first ballot.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I also question him being in the as a first ballot. Second or third I can see but Marino and Montana definitely deserved first ballots. These days the HOF can be about who you know. After they Swann in I knew it was a sham. Playing on a great team is not why you should get in, individual achievement is not to mention a little luck to play at the right time for the right team.

Rain Man
08-07-2005, 09:34 PM
I have to disagree with the Young haters. Yes, he inherited a strong team, but then he became the strength of that team. At his peak, he was a running and passing quarterback who was one of the best ever. His stats prove it.

Demonpenz
08-07-2005, 10:02 PM
young was had some crazy runs. He had the mentality of a linebacker and would get killed for it. His stats would have been really good if lawrence phillips could stop slapping his bitch for two seconds and block. Alot of the points made here are true, but the guy had alot of balls to take on hits like he did.

DaWolf
08-08-2005, 07:13 AM
Steve Young was a very good QB. However he is nowhere near Joe Montana's league. When a team could put pressure on Young, he would often fold and make silly mistakes. Meanwhile Montana was getting his ass kicked by Buddy Ryan's Philadelphia Eagles D and still picking himself up and kicking Buddy Ryan's ass on the scoreboard. The problem was not many people did put pressure on Young as he had a darned good OL and was facing weak competition much of the time. That's a point people fail to mention. During Montana's time the NFC West at least had the LA Rams who were playoff contenders and the Saints which had a real tough D and were playoff contenders under Mora. When Young took over both of these franchises really sucked. Also during Montana's time he had to face teams like the Bears and NY Giants and Cowboys and Redskins, while Young really only had to get by the Cowboys as those other teams had began to fade during the prime of his career. Young's first few years he lost in the playoffs because of critical mistakes he made against teams like the Cowboys. He finally won it once Barry Switzer took over the Cowboys and the Niners added Dieon.

That's not to say he wasn't an outstanding QB. But I think his "greatness" is overstated. Skip Bayless, who is a tool, nevertheless has a good article on this topic:

Young, Marino, and their legacies... (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/050808&num=0)

JOhn
08-08-2005, 07:49 AM
His accomplishments probably still earn him a spot in the HoF, but I'm not sure he should have been first ballot.

:thumb:

Exactly what I was thinking. He was a good QB, and deserves to go in someday, but First Ballot? I don't think so. :shake:

maybe I'm Biased, OK I am, but DT was as deserving to go in first ballot as Young. DT held many defensive records and was a force that opposing teams had to specifically game plan to account for him. Besides when he played Young he made Young look like a peewee football team playing against a pro team ROFL

JOhn
08-08-2005, 07:50 AM

Stupid twunt.
ROFL I guess she's a new MOD? ROFL

the Talking Can
08-08-2005, 07:53 AM
good QB....not even close to Montana

1st ballot with Marino?.....yeah, no....

JOhn
08-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Maybe not, but he held a hell of a lot of QB records, and single handily made Miami a contender year after year, with out any help especially from the running game

chagrin
08-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Steve Young, big fugging deal...STILL needed Riahcrd Dent, Ricky Jackson, Toi Cook, Deion Sanders, and whoever else they bought that year to win the Bowl "for Steve".

If ever there was a QB who benefitted from the system, it was Steve. Although I admired his willingness to lose his head on any play in which he ran for it.

BigRedChief
08-08-2005, 08:45 AM

Word. WTF? The dad has got some balls to say that. Go to play for a stuggling league why? 40 million reasons is why. Moron!

ChiefsFanatik88
08-16-2005, 08:32 AM
It's no different than the homers over here in St. Louis talking about Martz' winning percentage......he inherited a SB team as well!

Don't forget chuckie in Tampa, and Callahan in Jokeland. They both inherited a team that went to the super bowl their first year as coach.

Raiderhater
08-16-2005, 08:47 AM
then you must be lonely.....because I am hardly here at all anymore...:p

Yet it is still too often.