PDA

View Full Version : gas going up again

saturnknts
08-08-2005, 10:24 PM
coming home(wichita) tonight and noticed Quiktrip went up 11 cents to $2.39 dillions was still at $2.28 and will be until morning since they dont have attendants 24 hours. of course if you have a card it saves you 2-10 cents a gallon.

so what happened today in the world that caused yet another spike?

DJay23
08-08-2005, 10:27 PM
$2.35 here today. ****ing re-cockulous. Something needs to be done by my government to ease the burden on my wallet. They're not doing a good job of that IMO.

morphius
08-08-2005, 10:31 PM
$2.35 here today. ****ing re-cockulous. Something needs to be done by my government to ease the burden on my wallet. They're not doing a good job of that IMO.
Yup, probably my number one complaint about the current administration, oil companies record profits, people paying out the butt for gas. Something is obviously not right with that picture.

Donger
08-08-2005, 10:32 PM
coming home(wichita) tonight and noticed Quiktrip went up 11 cents to $2.39 dillions was still at $2.28 and will be until morning since they dont have attendants 24 hours. of course if you have a card it saves you 2-10 cents a gallon.

so what happened today in the world that caused yet another spike?

As usual, strong demand, tight supplies and concerns over threats to output.

Saudi Arabia, and some issues with our refineries, while demand is still increasing = higher prices.

Frazod
Yup, probably my number one complaint about the current administration, oil companies record profits, people paying out the butt for gas. Something is obviously not right with that picture.

The current administration IS the oil companies. :shake:

Donger

What would you suggest?

headsnap
08-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Something needs to be done by my government to ease the burden on my wallet.

Like, build more refineries? :shrug:

Donger
08-08-2005, 10:33 PM

You think the Bush administration has something to do with the price of crude or gasoline?

headsnap
08-08-2005, 10:35 PM

Saudi Arabia, and some issues with our refineries, while demand is still increasing = higher prices.
it's amazing how many people there are that do not understand supply and demand. :shake:

morphius
08-08-2005, 10:37 PM
You think the Bush administration has something to do with the price of crude or gasoline?
I think a simple threat of an investigation as to why they are making record profits while people are paying more every week normally scares them well enough to drop the price. So yeah, I think they have some say. It seemed to work really well when Clinton was in office and he played that card. You know, scares investors, price drops, etc, etc.

Donger
08-08-2005, 10:39 PM
I think a simple threat of an investigation as to why they are making record profits while people are paying more every week normally scares them well enough to drop the price. So yeah, I think they have some say. It seemed to work really well when Clinton was in office and he played that card. You know, scares investors, price drops, etc, etc.

Umm, I tell you why the oil companies are making record profits. It's simple economics.

While the price of crude has increased dramatically, their production costs have not.

morphius
it's amazing how many people there are that do not understand supply and demand. :shake:
I think I understand it, but when it comes to gas I think it is manly BS. Sure there are lots of factors involved, I get it. But I don't remember a gas station around here running out of gas anytime recently either.

Frazod

We should all understand getting buttf#cked every time we go to the gas station, while oil companies are reporting (as usual) record profits. God forbid these greedy pigs turn some of that profit back around to the consumers.

morphius
08-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Umm, I tell you why the oil companies are making record profits. It's simple economics.

While the price of crude has increased dramatically, their production costs have not.
But you are saying that threatening an investigation wouldn't lower the prices as quickly as it did during the Clinton Administration? Sure it wouldn't go as low, but I bet you it would go lower...

morphius
08-08-2005, 10:42 PM
We should all understand getting buttf#cked every time we go to the gas station, while oil companies are reporting (as usual) record profits. God forbid these greedy pigs turn some of that profit back around to the consumers.
Exactly! If they are making record profits, they could easily lower the price of gas and still make good profits. "It's simple economics."

Donger
08-08-2005, 10:43 PM
I think I understand it, but when it comes to gas I think it is manly BS. Sure there are lots of factors involved, I get it. But I don't remember a gas station around here running out of gas anytime recently either.

And you probably won't. Right now, our remaining refineries are operating at close to 100%. We've not built a new one since 1976, while demand JUST in the US has almost doubled since then. And, on top of that, we've closed about 100 refineries since 1976.

Add that up, and you can rapidly see where we're going. I know its fun to blame the oil companies, but it's hardly all their fault.

Donger
08-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Exactly! If they are making record profits, they could easily lower the price of gas and still make good profits. "It's simple economics."

It's capitalism.

Donger
08-08-2005, 10:45 PM
But you are saying that threatening an investigation wouldn't lower the prices as quickly as it did during the Clinton Administration? Sure it wouldn't go as low, but I bet you it would go lower...

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with this investigation. Do you have any other info?

headsnap
08-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Add that up, and you can rapidly see where we're going. I know its fun to blame the oil companies, but it's hardly all their fault.

Oil companies aren't free of the blame here, they only deserve a small part of it.

morphius
08-08-2005, 10:46 PM
And you probably won't. Right now, our remaining refineries are operating at close to 100%. We've not built a new one since 1976, while demand JUST in the US has almost doubled since then. And, on top of that, we've closed about 100 refineries since 1976.

Again, lots of factor's. Them unwilling to use their "record profits" to expand, is my fault how? How is it they have been running at near 100% capacity for the last 5 years, and usage has went up? Wouldn't that mean we were running at more then 100% by now?

headsnap
08-08-2005, 10:47 PM
We should all understand getting buttf#cked every time we go to the gas station...

you should have bought a Focus. ROFL

headsnap
08-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Again, lots of factor's. Them unwilling to use their "record profits" to expand, is my fault how? How is it they have been running at near 100% capacity for the last 5 years, and usage has went up? Wouldn't that mean we were running at more then 100% by now?

yes we are running at more than 100%.

We IMPORT the rest!

Chiefs Pantalones
08-08-2005, 10:48 PM
http://www.crosslink.net/~closeout/vets/mission-accomplished.jpg

ROFL

morphius
08-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Sorry, but I'm not familiar with this investigation. Do you have any other info?
Mostly they threatened to look up what was going on with the gas prices and as soon as they started the gas prices oddly started dropping. Other then that, I'm not bored enough to see if I can find you a link.

Frazod
08-08-2005, 10:50 PM
you should have bought a Focus. ROFL

If I was smart, I'd have kept my Vibe. It got great mileage. Oh well. I love my Mustang.

But I sure as hell don't mind "settling" for the V6 model now.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-08-2005, 10:53 PM
If I was smart, I'd have kept my Vibe. It got great mileage. Oh well. I love my Mustang.

But I sure as hell don't mind "settling" for the V6 model now.

Why don't you give up your Mustang and your Montana autograph, and I'll buy you a Geo Metro.

Frazod
08-08-2005, 10:58 PM
I paid $2.45 today.

Then later, I paid a similar amount for half a gallon of milk. Thankfully I only needed half a gallon of milk, and not twenty. Could've been an expensive day otherwise.
Gas will soon be more expensive than milk. Too bad I can't make a gallon of gas last a week.

Frazod
08-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Why don't you give up your Mustang and your Montana autograph, and I'll buy you a Geo Metro.

Or I could beat you over the head with the framed autograph, take your Metro for every day use, and drive the Mustang on weekends. :evil:

Valiant
08-08-2005, 11:01 PM

And the great thing about that... It actually only effects the price of oil by about 10 percent... Need a giant multi-billion(500-800billion) dollar lawsuit to get these companies from rackiteering(sp?)..

Donger
08-08-2005, 11:02 PM

There are two primary reasons why they do not want to build new refineries. 1. They are extremely expensive to build, and they will not be profitable for many years. 2. Red tape/environmental restrictions/not-in-my-backyard stuff.

As to how they can meet demand (barely), they have gotten more efficient with the refining process since 1976.

Donger
08-08-2005, 11:03 PM
And the great thing about that... It actually only effects the price of oil by about 10 percent... Need a giant multi-billion(500-800billion) dollar lawsuit to get these companies from rackiteering(sp?)..

The price of oil (crude) or gasoline? If gas, the cost of crude alone makes up a significant part of the price we pay for a gallon of gas.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Or I could beat you over the head with the framed autograph, take your Metro for every day use, and drive the Mustang on weekends. :evil:

That would be a popular alternative.

Although, I don't own a Geo Metro...but I have tipped one over before. Those things are light, lol.

C'mon...how about I buy you a Hybrid and you can beat me over the head with the autograph then give me it?

Deal?

KChiefsQT
08-08-2005, 11:04 PM
I paid $2.88 today. It's getting ridiculous.... I'm gonna have to trade my SUV in for a civic if I want to eat. Between gas prices and housing continuing to rise in California, I'm flipping doomed. Grrrr....

Frazod
08-08-2005, 11:05 PM
That would be a popular alternative.

Although, I don't own a Geo Metro...but I have tipped one over before. Those things are light, lol.

C'mon...how about I buy you a Hybrid and you can beat me over the head with the autograph then give me it?

Deal?

How about I just beat you over the head? :$2500:

Donger
08-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Thank goodness a Californian showed up. Don't you all feel better now?

No. I want an Hawaiian, damnit.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-08-2005, 11:08 PM
How about I just beat you over the head? :$2500:

Ok...deal...

You will give me your autograph...you will!!! One day!!! :p

Nightfyre
08-08-2005, 11:35 PM
I suppose donger will say Haliburton's no bid contract in iraq was capitalism too.

Donger
08-08-2005, 11:36 PM
I suppose donger will say Haliburton's no bid contract in iraq was capitalism too.

No. That was common sense.

beavis
08-08-2005, 11:42 PM
I paid $2.88 today. It's getting ridiculous.... I'm gonna have to trade my SUV in for a civic if I want to eat. Between gas prices and housing continuing to rise in California, I'm flipping doomed. Grrrr....
I'd suggest not living in California.

Nightfyre
08-08-2005, 11:47 PM
No. That was common sense.
Maybe for his political and financial certainty. You will never convince me there is no Conflict of interest here. http://www.howbushoperates.info/haliburton.html

Donger
08-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Maybe for his political and financial certainty. You will never convince me there is no Conflict of interest here. http://www.howbushoperates.info/haliburton.html

Not as long as you view such websites as truth, no.

Nightfyre
08-08-2005, 11:51 PM
http://www.americanprogress.org/site/pp.asp?c=biJRJ8OVF&b=23898
Conflict of Interest

CLAIM: “I'll do whatever I have to do to, Sam, to avoid a conflict of interest. I will eliminate the conflict. I can assure you, I've said repeatedly, I will not tolerate or be party to a conflict of interests while I'm vice president. I'll do whatever I have to do to resolve that conflict.”
– Dick Cheney, 8/27/00

FACT: A congressional report found that “the more than 433,000 stock options he possesses ‘is considered among the 'ties' retained in or 'linkages to former employers' that may 'represent a continuing financial interest' in those employers which makes them potential conflicts of interest.”
– CNN, 9/25/03

sd4chiefs
08-08-2005, 11:53 PM
If you can't beat them, join them. :)

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/chartdl.asp?Symbol=FSESX

beavis
08-08-2005, 11:54 PM
If you can't beat them, join them. :)

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/chartdl.asp?Symbol=FSESX
Heh, and here I passed on the energy stocks a couple of months ago because I thought they had topped out. :banghead:

beavis
08-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Yeah. Not only is the gas expensive, but you're surrounded by Californians. Yech.
That's gotta suck. Damned hippies.

alanm
08-09-2005, 12:15 AM
You know we could all go back in time about 100 yrs. And look into a horse and buggy. Probably wouldn't work to well in the big city but here it would fly again. Plenty of grass and hay and oats where I live. I'd just have to reconfigure my garage I guess. :)

BigMeatballDave
08-09-2005, 02:16 AM
I heard not long ago that Bush wants to build refineries on closed military bases. Excellent idea, IMO...

Bob Dole
08-09-2005, 03:23 AM
Bob Dole filled up for $1.12/gal in Crawford, TX on Saturday.

Nightfyre
08-09-2005, 03:33 AM
preferential republican treatment, obviously :p

ExtremeChief
08-09-2005, 05:24 AM
Paid $2.29 this morning

Skip Towne
08-09-2005, 06:24 AM
Build the refineries in Mexico using local labor at local wages.

Nightfyre
08-09-2005, 06:26 AM
Build the refineries in Mexico using local labor at local wages.
outsourcing!!! YAY!!

I think its like the current fad "budgetary diet" of the business world.

Goapics1
08-09-2005, 06:38 AM
$2.49 this morning. ****ing ridiculous...............

Bob Dole
08-09-2005, 06:42 AM
I heard not long ago that Bush wants to build refineries on closed military bases. Excellent idea, IMO...

That's fine with Bob Dole, since 2 of the proposed base closures (Red River Army Depot and Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant) are within 20 miles of here and the loss of roughly 5000 jobs is going to seriously damage the local economy.

Dartgod
08-09-2005, 06:55 AM
Bob Dole filled up for $1.12/gal in Crawford, TX on Saturday.
$1.12?? What did you fill up and with what? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't gasoline in your car.

DJay23
08-09-2005, 07:07 AM
$1.12?? What did you fill up and with what? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't gasoline in your car.
THis is a guess, but I think that was made up.

Note the location of the cheap gas.

Dartgod
08-09-2005, 07:09 AM
THis is a guess, but I think that was made up.

Note the location of the cheap gas.
Haha. I get it now. :doh!:

4321 Dole