PDA

View Full Version : Is Siavii going to make the team?

Line Judge
08-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Siavii has knee problems and hasn't practiced much during training camp. Is he going to make the team and if he does will he contribute? Does Arrion Dixon have a chance of beating him out? I didn't hear much about Siaviii during the off season. Did he do much to improve himself?

Wallcrawler
08-09-2005, 08:59 AM
I dont see them cutting him.

If Shawn Barber is getting paid close to 5 mil to start the year on the PUP list and not get cut, I think a guy like Junior Siavii who has some potential to help the team before week 6 this year will be retained.

I dont think you can just give up on a 2nd round pick after a rough first year.

Chief Faithful
08-09-2005, 09:01 AM
It is nice that Dixon looks good in camp, but we really don't know anything until he gets a chance to play. The news on Dixon and Sharpe may be intended as nothing more than motivation for Siavii.

I'm really hoping Siavii gets back on the field quickly and turns things around.

alpha_omega
08-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Doesn't sound like it...but i'll agree with Chief Faithful...may just be a smokescreen.

TEX
08-09-2005, 09:20 AM
I think since he's a 2nd, they'll keep him.

MOhillbilly
08-09-2005, 09:22 AM
NO KC likes to top the cap out w/ shitbags.

RedNFeisty
08-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Not to sure why, but I like this kid. I hope that he can over come the obstacles and become a big player for the Chiefs.

Hoover
08-09-2005, 09:33 AM
I think our d line will improve because they will only be asked to do one thing: Stop the Run. In the past we asked the D line to get pressure on the QB, and oh, if they are runnig the ball tackel him. But with our new speed at LB, they can bring the heat on 1st and 2nd downs, and let the Line stop the run.

Manila-Chief
08-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Yep! 1. 2nd. round pick (C.P. will not admit a mistake this quick, 2. 2nd. year player, and 3. he has potential.

Red, I see possible potential in the kid also. Not sure what 2 bum knees will do to him but with the experience of last year, a good off season, and great TC I was hoping he would blossom this year. Guess the jury is still out on him.

RedThat
08-09-2005, 09:34 AM
I dont see them cutting him.

If Shawn Barber is getting paid close to 5 mil to start the year on the PUP list and not get cut, I think a guy like Junior Siavii who has some potential to help the team before week 6 this year will be retained.

I dont think you can just give up on a 2nd round pick after a rough first year.

Oh you bet they can. Eddie Freeman? I think they'll give Siavii a chance though.

RedNFeisty
08-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Yep! 1. 2nd. round pick (C.P. will not admit a mistake this quick, 2. 2nd. year player, and 3. he has potential.

Red, I see possible potential in the kid also. Not sure what 2 bum knees will do to him but with the experience of last year, a good off season, and great TC I was hoping he would blossom this year. Guess the jury is still out on him.

Each player has some injury that plaques them, the key is how strong are they to over come it. How bad do they want to play the game? Siavii has heart, I hope he can come out and show it along with determination.

philfree
08-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Oh you bet they can. Eddie Freeman? I think they'll give Siavii a chance though.

Where is Eddie anyways? Maybe we ought to bring him back for a look-see? I'm bummed out about Jr and his arthritic knees and I don't know how that can get any better over time but maybe it can. He'll be PUPed and then he'll be IRd and he'll get one more shot next year. On another note I saw where Wyndell Bryant was released by thye cards. Wasn't he in the same draft as Simms? I wonder what happened to him and why he was cut? Perhaps we should give him a look-see too?

PhilFree:arrow:

HC_Chief
08-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Who cares?
Seriously, what has the guy done to deserve a roster spot? He's big, but ineffective. Plus he's injured.

Cut him, I don't care.
Keep him, I don't care - as long as he contributes.

Cormac
08-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Where is Eddie anyways? Maybe we ought to bring him back for a look-see? I'm bummed out about Jr and his arthritic knees and I don't know how that can get any better over time but maybe it can. He'll be PUPed and then he'll be IRd and he'll get one more shot next year. On another note I saw where Wyndell Bryant was released by thye cards. Wasn't he in the same draft as Simms? I wonder what happened to him and why he was cut? Perhaps we should give him a look-see too?

As far as I know Freeman is out of the league, after bouncing around with the Jags (and Cards?).

Siavii will be kept on the roster this year. It would be stupid to put a "project" back on the street this early. The injuries are a huge setback to him, but if he doesn't warrant a spot on the team by opening day, I'd say he'll be put on PUP and brought up later in the year, assuming he's healthy, practicing, and improving.

alpha_omega
08-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Here's a little something i found relating to this topic...

Coach Dick Vermeil clearly isn't happy that second-year player Junior Siavii, the team's top draft pick in 2004, has missed too many days of camp while dealing with tendinitis of the knees -- first the right, now the left.

"He could make the Pro Bowl Rehab team," Vermeil said.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/KC/8714876

Cormac
08-09-2005, 10:05 AM
BTW, Eddie Freeman is listed as DE for the Panthers.

Chiefnj
08-09-2005, 10:08 AM

The Panthers sent him to Europe where he played DT for the Rhien Fire. He's big for a "DE" - 6-5 and 315lbs.

Brock
08-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Coach Dick Vermeil clearly isn't happy that second-year player Junior Siavii, the team's top draft pick in 2004, has missed too many days of camp while dealing with tendinitis of the knees -- first the right, now the left.

"He could make the Pro Bowl Rehab team," Vermeil said.

You and Carl thought he was worth a second round pick, Dick. :rolleyes:

philfree
08-09-2005, 10:11 AM

He played DT in NFLE this year I'm pretty sure and I thought he was doing alright but I haven't heard a thing about him since. I didn't think he was all that bad as a rookie but then he was injured his 2nd year and cut in his 3rd year with arrival of Gun. Seems it was due to injury issues as much as anything.

Chief Faithful
08-09-2005, 10:13 AM
As far as I know Freeman is out of the league, after bouncing around with the Jags (and Cards?).

Siavii will be kept on the roster this year. It would be stupid to put a "project" back on the street this early. The injuries are a huge setback to him, but if he doesn't warrant a spot on the team by opening day, I'd say he'll be put on PUP and brought up later in the year, assuming he's healthy, practicing, and improving.

I'd be surprised if he is eligible for PUP. He passed his physical and participated in the first few days of camp.

Line Judge
08-09-2005, 10:19 AM
The Chargers drafted DT Igor Olshansky in the pick before Siavii. The word before that draft was that we were going to pick Igor. I heard he was starting for them. I wonder if we would have picked Igor if he was still available?

Chiefnj
08-09-2005, 10:25 AM
The Chargers drafted DT Igor Olshansky in the pick before Siavii. The word before that draft was that we were going to pick Igor. I heard he was starting for them. I wonder if we would have picked Igor if he was still available?

They must not have wanted him too bad or else they would have drafted him and not fallen back to the 2nd round.

Kyle401
08-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Siavii will be 27 this year. Interior defensive linemen tend to experience a pretty good drop off after age 30 similar to RB's. He was raw coming out of college so if he is perpetually too beat up to get the practice reps he needs to improve, we need to cut him.

WilliamTheIrish
08-09-2005, 10:50 AM
You and Carl thought he was worth a second round pick, Dick. :rolleyes:

Glad I read the whole thread first. This was exactly my thought.

Cormac
08-09-2005, 10:51 AM
The Panthers sent him to Europe where he played DT for the Rhien Fire. He's big for a "DE" - 6-5 and 315lbs.

I know, I always wanted DV and the staff to leave him at DT, and not mess with playing him as b/u for 2 spots. He might have been an OK DE on a 3-4 defense???

Cormac
08-09-2005, 10:52 AM
I'd be surprised if he is eligible for PUP. He passed his physical and participated in the first few days of camp.

You could be right. I forget the rules for PUP listing. But I thought somebody injured in camp could be placed on PUP and brought back mid-season (ie. Kris Wilson). Anyway, who knows.

nascher
08-09-2005, 11:04 AM
He can't go to PUP because he already practiced in TC.

We will keep him.

Halfcan
08-09-2005, 11:46 AM
I didn't hear much about Jr. coming in to train like Simms and others. I like the size of the kid but it is time for him to step up. I'm not sure why Maz and Barber are still here? Must be cap related, Barber seemed like a very weak tackler when he played. Time will tell. Halfcan

ck_IN
08-09-2005, 11:54 AM
<i>Seriously, what has the guy done to deserve a roster spot?</i>

The same could be said of Sims.

I hope they keep him unlike Sims, Siavii actually has some potential and could be a player for us. He just needs to learn the game and get healthy.

Ninjaman
08-09-2005, 11:57 AM
http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00153

The goals of tendinitis treatment are to relieve your pain and reduce inflammation. Often, simple home treatment — which includes rest, ice and over-the-counter pain relievers — is all that you need.

Other treatments for tendinitis include:

* Injected steroids. Sometimes your doctor may inject a steroid drug into tissue around a tendon to relieve tendinitis. Injections of cortisone reduce inflammation and can help ease pain. However, there are potential side effects. For example, repeated injections may weaken a tendon , increasing your risk of rupturing the tendon.

* Strengthening exercises. People with tendinitis and tendonosis may also benefit from a program of specific exercise designed to strengthen the force-absorbing capability of the muscle-tendon unit.

* Surgery. When a tendon is torn, you may need a reconstructive operation to clean inflamed tissue out of the tendon sheath or to relieve pressure on the tendon by removing bone. Surgeons can repair tendon tears to reduce pain, restore function and, in some cases, prevent tendon rupture.

StcChief
08-09-2005, 01:04 PM
I really don't care. I just want someone that can shed blocks/tackle RBs and put pressure / sack QB.

A Rookie, or Jr. , whomever.

The LBs are going to make the Dline more effective.

fill this hole quick.

If Jr can come back in Sept. Oct and get it done fine.