PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan: Chiefs website ranked last in the NFL

tk13
08-10-2005, 01:24 AM
From Jeffrey Flanagan's column today...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12343755.htm

Who has the worst Web site in the National Football League?

The Kansas City Chiefs, at least according to SportsBusiness Journal, which recently ranked the Web sites in all sports.

While the Eagles, Browns and Patriots finished one-two-three, the Chiefs were dead last in the rankings, which were based on content, design and fan interaction.

And in news that won’t make our friend Rufus Dawes very happy, one of the main reasons for the Chiefs’ low ranking was content — the Chiefs’ Web site scored the second-lowest score in the league in that category.

The Wizards didn’t fare much better in MLS, ranking 11th out of 12 teams. The Los Angeles Galaxy was No. 1.

And just to prove that the Royals can do some things right, the team’s Web site finished ninth among sites in Major League Baseball. The Red Sox were No. 1.

Rausch
08-10-2005, 01:32 AM
I like the guys running the site, I don't like a lot of starters on defense...

Tribal Warfare
08-10-2005, 02:02 AM
I thought the article would mention ChiefsPlanet when I read the title. My belief was this was going to be comparison between various KC Chiefs related websites. Then reviewing the high volume of register users coupled with the vigorous activity of the website(s).

Manila-Chief
08-10-2005, 03:11 AM
The success of the Planet seems to confirm the validity of this ranking. Most of us are here because the Star/Chiefs forums didn't do it for us.

Tribal Warfare
08-10-2005, 03:18 AM
The success of the Planet seems to confirm the validity of this ranking. Most of us are here because the Star/Chiefs forums didn't do it for us.

Yes, I know that I was a part of "The Great Exodus" of KC BB in 2000. I was just commenting that I was kind of surprised that Flanigan didn't make this a compare and contrast article.

Red Dawg
08-10-2005, 03:47 AM
No surprise there. It's definitely the most boring of them all.

Skip Towne
08-10-2005, 03:59 AM
Seriously, the Planet has a lot to do with this. Why would anyone go to the Chiefs website when the Planet is so much better?

jspchief
08-10-2005, 04:52 AM
Seriously, the Planet has a lot to do with this. Why would anyone go to the Chiefs website when the Planet is so much better?I'm sure the Planet has a lot to do with it, taking away BB hits. But overall the site is crap anyway. It lacks decent content, and is a bitch to navigate because the designer is too lazy to put in drop down menus. That clown was here on the Planet this spring talking about all the content they were going to add, and they haven't done sh*t yet.

DaWolf
08-10-2005, 05:24 AM
I think that's why the Chiefs are trying to add more multimedia content on their site now. You gotta have that if you wanna play with the big boys. But they have to get better in the cheerleader and articles department and increase the frequency of the multimedia content. They also need to get rid of Dawes, he bores me...

Braincase
08-10-2005, 05:50 AM
DAMMIT CARL!

Bob Dole
08-10-2005, 05:52 AM
It's all about the content.

Bob Dole's impression is that it boils down to a lack of staff. This time of year with all of the TC activity, it would seem to be fairly easy to generate 4 or 5 legitimate stories each and every day. But that much production requires a full staff of skilled and dedicated journalists.

Or maybe an experienced editor and a pack of interns...

And perhaps someone who monitors all the fan forums and feeds story ideas to the staff based on popular topics of discussion.

KCFalcon59
08-10-2005, 06:03 AM
This doesn't surprise me. It is apparent that the website isn't a high priority for the Chiefs.

the Talking Can
08-10-2005, 06:08 AM
I never visit their website.

Even basic info (dates and times) can be hard to find. The organization of the pages is terrible.

KCTitus
08-10-2005, 06:22 AM
And in news that won’t make our friend Rufus Dawes very happy, one of the main reasons for the Chiefs’ low ranking was content —

LOL...that's funny right there.

deadbabyseal
08-10-2005, 06:27 AM
This isn't the Chief's official website?

Crush
08-10-2005, 06:39 AM
We're #1!!!

Phobia
08-10-2005, 06:46 AM
That's too bad because I like their webmaster. As an added bonus, he comes to the Planet to get feedback on his work. I dunno about you guys, but I think that kicks ass.

Rukdafaidas
08-10-2005, 07:02 AM
That's too bad because I like their webmaster. As an added bonus, he comes to the Planet to get feedback on his work. I dunno about you guys, but I think that kicks ass.
Yeah, it's too bad the good ones have to be lumped with the trash, Gretz/Dawes. I feel they're the main reason the site is ranked so low on information. If they would spend more time discussing football and not so much time acting like children (fighting every negative thing said by the media about the Chiefs), maybe the site would rank a little higher.

Herzig
08-10-2005, 07:02 AM

I think they've made quite a few improvements this year. I loved seeing multimedia clips on our draft pics. I wonder if they are planning on doing that with games this year? I know it would never happen, but they ought to hyperlink this place(and other Chiefs message boards and sites) from there.

Herzig
08-10-2005, 07:09 AM
Yeah, it's too bad the good ones have to be lumped with the trash, Gretz/Dawes. I feel they're the main reason the site is ranked so low on information. If they would spend more time discussing football and not so much time acting like children (fighting every negative thing said by the media about the Chiefs), maybe the site would rank a little higher.

Offtopic..not a hijack..but I drove up to Joplin(about 1 hr driving time) from my house and bought a smoker from CFM yesterday. They had one Big Block smoker(like yours for $100), but it had a HUGE dent/bulge in the back of it. They had a ton of the smaller smokers and one wide smoker(like the one Fire Me Boy has)(all were $75). I went with Wide Smoker like Fire Me Boy's. They also had a bunch of stainless steel gas grills there that were refurb's(not sure the $). I'm curing smoker right now as I type this.

Thanks again for the heads up and helping me out(again).

nmt1
08-10-2005, 07:12 AM
I visit the KCChiefs.com several times a day because that's where they make official announcements about signings and such. They could probably add more content but as Bob_Dole said, they probably don't have the staff for it.
I find it ironic that it's the two media darling teams of the NFL that have been given the top rankings.

BigRedChief
08-10-2005, 07:13 AM
I like the guys running the site, I don't like a lot of starters on defense...
They may be nice guys, cool buds to have a beer with but the website sucks. Probably not their fault. Don't get the funds to run it right.

Deserves the worst site in the NFL title :harumph:

ct
08-10-2005, 07:14 AM

Bingo!

Phobia
08-10-2005, 07:16 AM
They may be nice guys, cool buds to have a beer with but the website sucks. Probably not their fault. Don't get the funds to run it right.

Deserves the worst site in the NFL title :harumph:

I'll bet it's a lot more than fund related. I'll bet they need a frick'n act of congress to make any changes. I know their webmaster was really, really interested in a lot of our suggestions a few months back. Maybe that will still happen. Who knows?

StcChief
08-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Criteria for ranking sites??
Number of hits?
Layout design?
Content?

Nothing a good website designer couldn't fix.

Buck up Lamar.

morphius
08-10-2005, 07:25 AM
I'm sure the Planet has a lot to do with it, taking away BB hits. But overall the site is crap anyway. It lacks decent content, and is a bitch to navigate because the designer is too lazy to put in drop down menus. That clown was here on the Planet this spring talking about all the content they were going to add, and they haven't done sh*t yet.
I don't know about that, the released the video segment, which while cheesy was nice to see, then recently finally added that software for the desktop. So they are obviously doing something, its just taking time.

Chiefnj
08-10-2005, 07:25 AM
The Eagles get rated high because of their cheerleaders.

InChiefsHeaven
08-10-2005, 07:30 AM
It is frustrating going to the site, and frankly, I go there with no real hopes of being satisfied. Yet, I check it out a couple of times a day. Mostly, I'm browsing the Planet though. I do like the Access Arrowhead thing, they need to do way more features of that though. I mean, a 5 minute clip a day shouldn't be that big of a deal.

They definately need better cheerleader presentation all the way around. It's just embarassing.

I never even knew that kcchiefs.com had a forum? I've never found it, but I thought someone said that they did. I'm surprised that they don't.

The writers on the site (Gretz, Rand, Dawes) are just lame and over exposed. More cheerleaders, less Gretz. Although, I don't hate Gretz, I just think they could use more people. And definately, get rid of Rufus "Silvertounge" Dawes. Guy thinks he's writing for Masterpeice Theater or something...

Area 51
08-10-2005, 07:32 AM
If the Chiefs Planet is considered the top bb website that exists in KC, why not get the administrators/moderators/owners to get the Chiefs to directly link the Planet to the Chiefs website? It might raise membership, it might raise the level of the Chiefs website and it might provide funding to keep the Planet operating.

If you were to mix the good with the bad I think the good will rub off more than the bad would.

Having the Chiefs connect with the Planet might set a standard for the NFL in getting the fans more integrated with the team. JMHO.

Rukdafaidas
08-10-2005, 07:33 AM
KCTitus must be on vacation. I was expecting Gretz/Dawes reacharound by now.
Offtopic..not a hijack..but I drove up to Joplin(about 1 hr driving time) from my house and bought a smoker from CFM yesterday. They had one Big Block smoker(like yours for $100), but it had a HUGE dent/bulge in the back of it. They had a ton of the smaller smokers and one wide smoker(like the one Fire Me Boy has)(all were $75). I went with Wide Smoker like Fire Me Boy's. They also had a bunch of stainless steel gas grills there that were refurb's(not sure the $). I'm curing smoker right now as I type this.
No problem, glad I was able to help. I think you'll like the smoker. It's a set it forget it type (for not a lot of money), which is what I wanted.

the Talking Can
08-10-2005, 07:34 AM
If the Chiefs Planet is considered the top bb website that exists in KC, why not get the administrators/moderators/owners to get the Chiefs to directly link the Planet to the Chiefs website? It might raise membership, it might raise the level of the Chiefs website and it might provide funding to keep the Planet operating.

If you were to mix the good with the bad I think the good will rub off more than the bad would.

Having the Chiefs connect with the Planet might set a standard for the NFL in getting the fans more integrated with the team. JMHO.

they should have links to all the Chiefs websites...but they probably see it as competition

Area 51
08-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Some of the other NFL team sites have input from the fans.

Who here might be a writer in waiting? There are possibilities available to those that have a knack for expressing opinions (other than Whitlock, I'm not sure what planet he is from).

Area 51
08-10-2005, 07:38 AM
they should have links to all the Chiefs websites...but they probably see it as competition

I understand your point. I commented because it seems like Phobia, a moderator here, indicated that he likes the webmaster. If they associate in a manner there could be opportunities to improve the team website and pimp the Planet in an official setting.

DaWolf
08-10-2005, 07:39 AM
I find it ironic that it's the two media darling teams of the NFL that have been given the top rankings.

I'm not surprised because I think that if a team is consistently successful like the Pats or Eagles they have to put up better websites because their teams are gonna be getting the most hits due to their success. If the Chiefs won the Bowl I'm sure they'd redo their site just because of the increased attention the team would be getting...

morphius
08-10-2005, 07:40 AM

Who here might be a writer in waiting? There are possibilities available to those that have a knack for expressing opinions (other than Whitlock, I'm not sure what planet he is from).
I believe one of the writers on that site did come from Chiefsplanet, though I don't know that I have read anything from him recently.

BigRedChief
08-10-2005, 07:40 AM

Never happen because of legal reasons.

I do hear that next year the Chiefs are thinking of working more closely with fans/clubs/organizations that are Chief fans. But thats just in the "talk" stages. Nothing decided.

htismaqe
08-10-2005, 07:43 AM
There's a half dozen official NFL sites out there that are just as bad, if not worse, than the Chiefs'.

Not that it makes the Chiefs' site any better.

KCTitus
08-10-2005, 07:44 AM
KCTitus must be on vacation. I was expecting Gretz/Dawes reacharound by now.

Post #14...

Rukdafaidas
08-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Post #14...
ROFL
Sorry, I missed it.

Chiefnj
08-10-2005, 07:49 AM
There's a half dozen official NFL sites out there that are just as bad, if not worse, than the Chiefs'.

Not that it makes the Chiefs' site any better.

Who is worse?

KCTitus
08-10-2005, 07:52 AM
Yeah, I cant imagine one worse.

htismaqe
08-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Who is worse?

http://www.chargers.com/

Worse? Nah, probably not.

Better? Definitely not.

HC_Chief
08-10-2005, 08:07 AM
KCCHIEFS.COM is teh suck.

Most of us have known that since, oh, forever.

kc rush
08-10-2005, 08:22 AM
About the only reason I go there directly is to pay for season tix. I will link over there from the planet if someone here points out something of interest. I basically let other people do the work for me.

Phobia
08-10-2005, 08:23 AM

They do this already. IdahoJim (Jim Barnes) writes from the fan perspective roughly 6-8 times per year.

Phobia
08-10-2005, 08:26 AM

I'd rather see the Chiefs link to all available fan sites. This way people can find a site on which they feel at home. ChiefsPlanet definitely isn't for everyone.

The Chiefs don't think they could provide the friendly atmosphere the other BB's provide. Plus they'd have to pay to have it administered. Our sites provide that, but a direct link would be a step in the right direction.

The Broncos started a "fan site of the month" feature recently. I think that's a cool idea.

Thig Lyfe
08-10-2005, 08:29 AM
MELTDOWN

htismaqe
08-10-2005, 08:45 AM
I'd rather see the Chiefs link to all available fan sites. This way people can find a site on which they feel at home. ChiefsPlanet definitely isn't for everyone.

The Chiefs don't think they could provide the friendly atmosphere the other BB's provide. Plus they'd have to pay to have it administered. Our sites provide that, but a direct link would be a step in the right direction.

The Broncos started a "fan site of the month" feature recently. I think that's a cool idea.

Linking to fan sites might expose "real fans" of the Chiefs to opinions that don't reflect the party line coming out of 1 Arrowhead.

It will never happen.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-10-2005, 08:49 AM
I have to agree that kcchiefs.com blows. It's the Bartee of NFL sites.

Bob Dole
08-10-2005, 08:51 AM
I have to agree that kcchiefs.com blows. It's the Bartee of NFL sites.

Ouch.

Maybe they'll convert it to another position.

jspchief
08-10-2005, 11:04 AM
I don't know about that, the released the video segment, which while cheesy was nice to see, then recently finally added that software for the desktop. So they are obviously doing something, its just taking time.Actually, to be fair, that is true. They have increased the quality and quantity of content.

The real problem is that it's a f*cking rat maze to navigate around because they don't have drop down menus. I hate having to click a link and open another page, just to find the link to the page I want. Drop downs save that extra step, thus making for quick navigation.

By the webmaster's own admission, he doesn't do drop downs because they are a pain in the ass. Well, congratulations on saving yourself the trouble, might as well continue to buck the trend of every web site out there. It seems to have worked out well so far...:shake:

FWIW, the guy's username here on the Planet is cobra88, but he has only posted a few times.

jspchief
08-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Here's the link to the thread where their webmaster came in asking for suggestions

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115221&highlight=link+drop

Brock
08-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Featured columnist: Rufus Dawes.

nuff said

ct
08-10-2005, 11:12 AM

You really think the same orginization that publishes Rufus Dawes will allow any association with this crew over here? I don't think so...

J Diddy
08-10-2005, 11:16 AM
You really think the same orginization that publishes Rufus Dawes will allow any association with this crew over here? I don't think so...

This is true. If that were to happen then freedom of speech would be severely limited. We don't need to be associated with the worse website in the NFL.

KCTitus
08-10-2005, 11:19 AM
This is true. If that were to happen then freedom of speech would be severely limited. We don't need to be associated with the worse website in the NFL.

Im not sure how that would be possible, but you do realize that we are associated with that website.

Area 51
08-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Originally Posted by coryt
You really think the same orginization that publishes Rufus Dawes will allow any association with this crew over here? I don't think so... <HR SIZE=1>

coryt, are the people here worse than Rufus?

J Diddy, would our goal be to join the worst or to pull them up to the level of the Planet?

Bob Dole
08-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Actually, to be fair, that is true. They have increased the quality and quantity of content.

The real problem is that it's a f*cking rat maze to navigate around because they don't have drop down menus. I hate having to click a link and open another page, just to find the link to the page I want. Drop downs save that extra step, thus making for quick navigation.

By the webmaster's own admission, he doesn't do drop downs because they are a pain in the ass. Well, congratulations on saving yourself the trouble, might as well continue to buck the trend of every web site out there. It seems to have worked out well so far...:shake:

FWIW, the guy's username here on the Planet is cobra88, but he has only posted a few times.

And to be truly fair, you might acknowledge that spiffy, neat-o features like drop-down menus often create accessibility issues.

jspchief
08-10-2005, 11:33 AM
And to be truly fair, you might acknowledge that spiffy, neat-o features like drop-down menus often create accessibility issues.That must be why every other team in the league uses them.

I don't really care about the difficulty of getting them to work. That's for the professionals to work out. All I care about is a site that contains information that I find useful, and being able to access that info without solving a Rubik's cube.

The fact remains that the site sucks. I'm not sure there's much difference between a site that has occasional problems, and a site that is so lame I don't go there anyway.

In fact, I'd say a quality site can withstand occassional problems. The Planet would seem to be proof of that.

htismaqe
08-10-2005, 11:41 AM
That must be why every other team in the league uses them.

I don't really care about the difficulty of getting them to work. That's for the professionals to work out. All I care about is a site that contains information that I find useful, and being able to access that info without solving a Rubik's cube.

The fact remains that the site sucks. I'm not sure there's much difference between a site that has occasional problems, and a site that is so lame I don't go there anyway.

In fact, I'd say a quality site can withstand occassional problems. The Planet would seem to be proof of that.

Every other team in the league is NOT using them. I looked at only one site -- www.chargers.com -- but it doesn't use them.

Like I said, I'm not suggesting the Chiefs site is great. But there ARE other NFL sites that are easily just as bad.

jspchief
08-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Every other team in the league is NOT using them. I looked at only one site -- www.chargers.com (http://www.chargers.com) -- but it doesn't use them.

Like I said, I'm not suggesting the Chiefs site is great. But there ARE other NFL sites that are easily just as bad.Okay, I was exaggerating a bit. Believe it or not, I haven't checked every NFL site for drop down menus.

And I'll take your word and concede there are other bad sites out there. I'm not sure how that excuses the Chiefs site, or makes it any less a pain in the ass to navigate though.

bobbything
08-10-2005, 11:49 AM
From a design standpoint, it's pretty basic. There's not too much to it. If you look at the Iggles site, it's much more cavernous and has all sorts of movement and crap like that. It's laid out like ESPN.com, which is why it's probably deemed a "better" site.

I'm not crazy about the Chiefs website mainly because I think it could be laid out better. The mention of drop down menus might help centralize everything so that it's easier to get to where you want to go from the first page.

I don't know how much of that site is database driven (looks like most of it) but, completely redesigning the back-end of the Chiefs website is a very large project. It can be done, but they would have to shell out some money to get it done.

My guess is that they designed it a certain way without regards to how they plan on updating it and adding other features. Which makes the site more complicated for the user when stuff is added.

Bob Dole
08-10-2005, 11:50 AM
That must be why every other team in the league uses them.

Ahhh... The ever-popular "everyone else is doing it" defense.

Bob Dole doesn't know whether accessibility is/was considered when they designed the site. Bob Dole was simply pointing out "to be fair" that some organizations are required to--or voluntarily choose to--adhere to Section 508 guidelines, which often preclude the use of pretty little gizmos and navigational methods that those of us with vision and fully functional digits find spiffy or convenient.

jspchief
08-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Ahhh... The ever-popular "everyone else is doing it" defense.

Bob Dole doesn't know whether accessibility is/was considered when they designed the site. Bob Dole was simply pointing out "to be fair" that some organizations are required to--or voluntarily choose to--adhere to Section 508 guidelines, which often preclude the use of pretty little gizmos and navigational methods that those of us with vision and fully functional digits find spiffy or convenient.Yea, really out of left field for me to mention what other teams are doing when the topic of the thread is a comparison of what "everyone else is doing".

All I know is the site is pretty lame IMO, and it appears some people agree. It is also my opinion that navigation is one of the reasons it sucks, and I have no idea if anyone agrees with me on that. I don't see an article like that as a ringing endorsement, and am simply offering my opinion on what the site lacks.

If KCChiefs.com doesn't care about what "everyone else is doing" then they won't care about the article in the starter and they sure as hell won't care about my opinion on it.

The funny thing about what "everyone else is doing" is that it creates familiarity. If I can go to a site and get around on it more easily because I'm familiar with the functions, I would think that would be a bonus. Creativity is nice too, but in this case it doesn't appear to be garnering the site many accolades.

milkman
08-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Linking to fan sites might expose "real fans" of the Chiefs to opinions that don't reflect the party line coming out of 1 Arrowhead.

It will never happen.

Damn, just think of all the people that could be exposed to the PPL! :)

Bob Dole
08-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Yea, really out of left field for me to mention what other teams are doing when the topic of the thread is a comparison of what "everyone else is doing".

All I know is the site is pretty lame IMO, and it appears some people agree. It is also my opinion that navigation is one of the reasons it sucks, and I have no idea if anyone agrees with me on that. I don't see an article like that as a ringing endorsement, and am simply offering my opinion on what the site lacks.

If KCChiefs.com doesn't care about what "everyone else is doing" then they won't care about the article in the starter and they sure as hell won't care about my opinion on it.

The funny thing about what "everyone else is doing" is that it creates familiarity. If I can go to a site and get around on it more easily because I'm familiar with the functions, I would think that would be a bonus. Creativity is nice too, but in this case it doesn't appear to be garnering the site many accolades.

To be honest, Bob Dole doesn't really give a shit one way or the other. Bob Dole was simply adding facts to your "to be fair" comment by pointing out that what other people do and what people might think is pret-tay is not always the primary concern when it comes to website design.

The navigation seems pretty straightforward to Bob Dole.

1. Visit www.chiefsplanet.com bookmark.

2. Click on thread title.

3. Read the post and sometimes click on the link to an article on www.kcchiefs.com, which opens the page in a new window.

htismaqe
08-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Okay, I was exaggerating a bit. Believe it or not, I haven't checked every NFL site for drop down menus.

And I'll take your word and concede there are other bad sites out there. I'm not sure how that excuses the Chiefs site, or makes it any less a pain in the ass to navigate though.

That was basically my point.

It doesn't excuse the fact that the Chiefs' website sucks arse. But it's not fair to suggest that the KCChiefs.com sucks arse, and all the other NFL websites don't. Because it's not true. There's SEVERAL of them that are as bad or worse than KCChiefs.com.

By the way, I believe all NFL teams have a website template that they have to adhere to as part of the NFL network.

Halfcan
08-10-2005, 12:40 PM
I would have to agree. Chiefs.com only gives their side. Dawes is just annoying. I like Gretz okay but he is such an azzkisser, he never asks any tough questions. I don't think it is the worst site in the NFL though-but in the short time I have been at the planet, I have gotten way more info than the Chiefs site. Here you get in depth coverage of training camp-specific plays and realistic views. They have a new chick at Chiefs.com that seems like just another version of Dawes-maybe it is Dawes? I want to know about football, not every perceived injustice against King Carl.
Halfcan

morphius
08-10-2005, 12:49 PM

It will never happen.
Just like our favorite Kevin Keitzman!!!

morphius
I still think the only reasons Kevin hates Carl is because Carl is more successful then him.

penguinz
08-10-2005, 12:58 PM
The chiefs site looks a lot like a customized Worpress or MovableType portal.

I like the fact that they did not customize all of the meta tags...

meta name="keywords" content="Type, keywords, here" /
meta name="description" content="Type description here." /

memyselfI
08-10-2005, 02:48 PM
From Jeffrey Flanagan's column today...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12343755.htm

WHAT?

No one outside of KC appreciates the fictional mouthpiece known as Dufus Rawes????

You can't be serious. ROFL

vailpass
08-10-2005, 03:10 PM
It is estimated that the site ranking could go up as many as 15 places by removing all pictures of the Chiefs "cheerleaders".

Bob Dole
08-10-2005, 05:24 PM
WTF? All the MLB sites are the same.

Sympathy votes?

bringbackmarty
08-10-2005, 06:35 PM
I wonder if they just don't pay him enough to make it worth his while. you get what you pay for, and carl is probably trying to do it on the cheap. Of course, websites don't win championships, defense does.

whoman69
08-10-2005, 07:21 PM
The biggest problem on the site has been the information. As many have pointed out, hiring people that have such thin skins for the organization has turned people off. The fact that any signings get a no comment from the Chiefs on terms doesn't help either. Another big drawback is the fact they use the worthless realplayer for their highlights. Realplayer is horrible, it always freezes the image right in the middle of play.

jspchief
08-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Another big drawback is the fact they use the worthless realplayer for their highlights. Realplayer is horrible, it always freezes the image right in the middle of play.They have to use RealPlayer. The NFL has an agreement with Realplayer, so all their clips must use it.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Perhaps if they didn't have one of their writers calling the rest of the media and the Chiefs fans morons they would do better, despite the look of the site.

shaneo69
08-10-2005, 08:09 PM
This page on the Chargers site is pretty cool. You can watch highlights from the Chiefs-Chargers season finale, as well as the Chargers 1981 playoff highlights.

http://www.chargers.com/fan_zone/fz_media.cfm

I don't think KCChiefs.com has anything like this.

tk13
08-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Perhaps if they didn't have one of their writers calling the rest of the media and the Chiefs fans morons they would do better, despite the look of the site.
You're classless and deranged.

whoman69
08-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Ah, those are some good memories.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-11-2005, 10:28 AM

ROFL

htismaqe
08-11-2005, 11:14 AM
The chiefs site looks a lot like a customized Worpress or MovableType portal.

I like the fact that they did not customize all of the meta tags...

meta name="keywords" content="Type, keywords, here" /
meta name="description" content="Type description here." /

It's a template that they have to use, mandated by the NFL from what I've heard.

penguinz
08-11-2005, 11:31 AM
So you are saying the NFL determines what the sites will look like and not the teams?

Chiefnj
08-11-2005, 11:42 AM
The poor format of the website would be acceptable if there was something worthy to find within it. Unfortunately the content is just as putrid.

A few teams that I checked out (Dallas and Cincy) have video recaps of training camp almost every day.

On the Chiefs board you have the following articles:

An article by a new writer named Weir that contains the sentence: "Man and womankind are predisposed to capitulate to our own flawed characters, creating moments of insensitivity we’d rather forget." The article then goes on to mention Martha Stewart and Bill Clinton. What this has to do with the Chiefs - I have no idea. My second favorite sentence "A base instinct towards avoidance and procrastination, putting off an inevitable negative result, matched with the power of denial is a meaningful psychological survival technique but can net shattering results."

You have an article by Rufus Dawes. No further comment needed.

You have an article by Gretz about Sampson. Ahh, yess finally a football article. The article is premised on comparing Sampson to former OL Dave Szott. Gretz begins by saying Sampson is "a living, breathing, albeit bigger version of the Szotter". The article ends with "Will Shields is the only guy on the roster who played with both Szott and Sampson, and he hasn’t really noticed any similarities between the two players. “Dave was unique,” said Shields. “His whole game was leverage inside. Kevin’s working on the outside and while you can see he understands leverage, he’s more of a mauler.”

Maybe it’s a stretch, linking Sampson with Szott." So, he writes an article on how similar they are, but then the ony player who actually played with both of them says they aren't and then Gretz himself concedes it.

BigRedChief
08-11-2005, 11:46 AM
The poor format of the website would be acceptable if there was something worthy to find within it. Unfortunately the content is just as putrid.

A few teams that I checked out (Dallas and Cincy) have video recaps of training camp almost every day.

On the Chiefs board you have the following articles:

An article by a new writer named Weir that contains the sentence: "Man and womankind are predisposed to capitulate to our own flawed characters, creating moments of insensitivity we’d rather forget." The article then goes on to mention Martha Stewart and Bill Clinton. What this has to do with the Chiefs - I have no idea. My second favorite sentence "A base instinct towards avoidance and procrastination, putting off an inevitable negative result, matched with the power of denial is a meaningful psychological survival technique but can net shattering results."

You have an article by Rufus Dawes. No further comment needed.

You have an article by Gretz about Sampson. Ahh, yess finally a football article. The article is premised on comparing Sampson to former OL Dave Szott. Gretz begins by saying Sampson is "a living, breathing, albeit bigger version of the Szotter". The article ends with "Will Shields is the only guy on the roster who played with both Szott and Sampson, and he hasn’t really noticed any similarities between the two players. “Dave was unique,” said Shields. “His whole game was leverage inside. Kevin’s working on the outside and while you can see he understands leverage, he’s more of a mauler.”

Maybe it’s a stretch, linking Sampson with Szott." So, he writes an article on how similar they are, but then the ony player who actually played with both of them says they aren't and then Gretz himself concedes it.

That is pathetic.

htismaqe
08-11-2005, 11:50 AM
So you are saying the NFL determines what the sites will look like and not the teams?

The underlying template comes from the NFL, what they do with it from there is their own prerogative.

KCTitus
08-11-2005, 11:53 AM
...An article by a new writer named Weir that contains the sentence: "Man and womankind are predisposed to capitulate to our own flawed characters, creating moments of insensitivity we’d rather forget." The article then goes on to mention Martha Stewart and Bill Clinton. What this has to do with the Chiefs - I have no idea. My second favorite sentence "A base instinct towards avoidance and procrastination, putting off an inevitable negative result, matched with the power of denial is a meaningful psychological survival technique but can net shattering results."...

WTF? That's awful...You're right, they need more multimedia.

shaneo69
08-11-2005, 12:08 PM

Yeah, after getting through about half of her article, I started thinking that she may actually be Rufus Dawes. Not surprisingly, she used to work for the Chiefs PR Dept but now writes a "society" column for a NY paper. Kind of ironic.

RINGLEADER
08-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Seriously, the Planet has a lot to do with this. Why would anyone go to the Chiefs website when the Planet is so much better?

So true.

Hoover
08-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Hell 3 days after the planet has a link and a story about some FA signing, it will show up on the Chiefs site. It flat out sucks.

tk13
08-14-2005, 04:16 AM
Flanagan follows up on the story today...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12378098.htm

SportsBusiness Journal recently ranked the Chiefs’ Web site as the worst in the NFL, based on content, design and fan interaction.

The Chiefs, as you might expect, took exception to that.

Chiefs public relations director Bob Moore dutifully points out that the site may not be a hit with the critics, but it is with the fans — it has the fifth-highest amount of traffic of all NFL Web sites.

KCFalcon59
08-14-2005, 07:32 AM
Chiefs public relations director Bob Moore dutifully points out that the site may not be a hit with the critics, but it is with the fans — it has the fifth-highest amount of traffic of all NFL Web sites.

Talk about out of touch.

:banghead:

jspchief
08-14-2005, 08:02 AM

In other news, the PR director of McDonalds was quoted as saying "Who cares if our burger tastes like sh*t? We still sell a lot of them."

BigRedChief
08-14-2005, 08:06 AM
In other news, the PR director of McDonalds was quoted as saying "Who cares if our burger tastes like sh*t? We still sell a lot of them."

ROFL Funny Chit man

Bowser
08-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Someday, the Chiefs site might actually catch www.NEPAChiefs.com in traffic........

(in total there is 1 user online : : 0 Registered, 0 Hidden, and 1 Guest)

Mr. Laz
08-14-2005, 11:00 AM

and just like fact that they stadium is sold out even though we haven't won jack in 10 years.......

this is an indication of the fans loyal NOT THE CHIEFS proficiency.

no playoff win in 12 years = full stadium

crappy Chiefs internet site = still 5th highest in traffic

Chiefs really don't deserve the fantastic fans they have ... at least not lately