PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football - Auction Drafts

Mile High Mania
08-10-2005, 11:04 AM
I have a question... how many of you participate in "auction drafts" and what do you like or dislike about them?

Rain Man
08-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Auction drafts are the best way to go. There's nothing wrong with an auction draft.

ct
08-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Always wanted to try it, but never have. Interested to hear comments though.

dirk digler
08-10-2005, 11:08 AM
What is an auction draft? I know it is probably a stupid question.

Hey Mile High is your site down?

Mile High Mania
08-10-2005, 11:15 AM
The site shouldn't be down, I'll check...

Mile High Mania
08-10-2005, 11:16 AM
I just logged on and it's up.

dirk digler
08-10-2005, 11:21 AM
I just logged on and it's up.

I am on now. I clicked on your link in your sig and it keep saying the URL was invalid and then I opened up IE and typed it your URL and it timed out. Strange, oh well it is working now. Thanks for checking. :thumb:

Mile High Mania
08-10-2005, 11:21 AM
What is an auction draft? I know it is probably a stupid question.

Hey Mile High is your site down?

Essentially, it works like this...
In auction drafts, each owner works with a fixed budget ($300 let's say, every team has the same "cap"), which will be used to draft players.

The draft has a standard draft order and owners nominate players for bidding. So, the first owner in a draft typically says "I bid on Manning for $15". The other owners (in order) are then allowed to bid on the that player. The highest bidder wins and the process continues.

That's really a simplistic answer, but you get the idea.

Mile High Mania
08-10-2005, 11:22 AM
I am on now. I clicked on your link in your sig and it keep saying the URL was invalid and then I opened up IE and typed it your URL and it timed out. Strange, oh well it is working now. Thanks for checking. :thumb:

Odd, maybe I need to update my sig line.

dirk digler
08-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Essentially, it works like this...
In auction drafts, each owner works with a fixed budget ($300 let's say, every team has the same "cap"), which will be used to draft players.

The draft has a standard draft order and owners nominate players for bidding. So, the first owner in a draft typically says "I bid on Manning for $15". The other owners (in order) are then allowed to bid on the that player. The highest bidder wins and the process continues.

That's really a simplistic answer, but you get the idea.

I kinda figured it was something like that. Is this fictional money or real money? If it is real money my team would suck because I am a cheap ass.

Mile High Mania
08-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Typically fake money. You pay the fee for your league, then you are given funny money in the form of a salary cap.

dirk digler
08-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Typically fake money. You pay the fee for your league, then you are given funny money in the form of a salary cap.

Thanks. Sounds fun I might have to try it.

Hydrae
08-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Sounds like it would be tough to do online but could be fun done live.

And yes, you need to update your sig line MHM.

Rain Man
08-10-2005, 11:41 AM
I kinda figured it was something like that. Is this fictional money or real money? If it is real money my team would suck because I am a cheap ass.

Dirk Bidwell?

dirk digler
08-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Dirk Bidwell?

ROFL

Worse.

Mile High Mania
08-10-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm guessing we don't have many auction draft players around here.

Shag
08-10-2005, 02:43 PM
I did my first auction draft last year, and loved it - much more fun than a typical draft, IMHO. A lot more strategy is involved, and you're able to get any player you want, as long as you're willing to spend the money. It takes a lot more planning and intelligence, and is a lot more satisfying after you pound the competition...

It's always fun to bid up players for other owners as well... :)

chop
08-10-2005, 02:51 PM
I also participated in an auction draft last year. It was interesting but it took a very long time to finish. My team did pretty good. I came up short of the championship but my team led the league in record and scoring. The worse scoring game of the year hapened to be in the playoffs.

papasmurf
08-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Auction drafts take longer but they also give you a chance at players that round robin drafts don't provide.

I do one of each. takes a couple hours for regular draft and abot 4 to 5 hours for the auction draft.

Mile High Mania
08-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Interesting... I'm familiar with auction drafts, but have never done one in the past. I'm going to be doing one later this month and was just curious as to what some of you thought.

I do see the pros of being able to get better talent (at RB for example) if you're willing to pay for it. The trick is not ending up with $25 when you have 6 picks left...

papasmurf
08-11-2005, 05:52 AM
Interesting... I'm familiar with auction drafts, but have never done one in the past. I'm going to be doing one later this month and was just curious as to what some of you thought.

I do see the pros of being able to get better talent (at RB for example) if you're willing to pay for it. The trick is not ending up with $25 when you have 6 picks left...

The real secret is to get an unexpected production from a $! player

Shag
08-11-2005, 07:16 AM

You really need to have a good number of small $$ players that you can get production out of. A common philosophy is to get 2-3 studs (spending most of your money), and then fill out your roster will serviceable, but cheaper players. Look for some "potential" guys towards the end of the draft that you can get for $1. Save your "dark horses" as long as possible, to minimize the ability of others to outbid you late in the draft.

Assuming standard scoring, RBs are going to be the most valuable. If you have an early pick, throw out a big name RB that you're not really interested in, so the market can be set - get other people to spend big money early (throw Manning out there early, too). Try not to spend $40 on LT, but don't be afraid to lay out some cash for one of the top RBs - you'll regret it if you don't.

Mile High Mania
08-11-2005, 07:22 AM
Shag, yeah the early part of the draft sounds like everyone trying to up the ante on the big name studs.

morphius
08-11-2005, 07:48 AM
I'm in one auction draft league.

This could go either way, but one of the things that is neat about it is that you have to know what you are doing and have some sort of a plan, otherwise you are toast and start off 0-8 like I did my first year.

I like that the league tends to be more involved.

I like that the draft order really has no meaning and you are not automatically screwed if you are drafting last and stuck with second tier RB's.

Dislikes:

I hate that the drafts take so damn long, our 10 person draft takes like 6 hours, and most of us have been doing it for 4+ years.

I think it leads to more fights then any other FFL format that I have seen, probably because of all the work involved.

Finding free web resources with a cash value for a player is difficult at best, while finding a general ranking of players is pretty much cake.