PDA

View Full Version : derrick blaylock

neckdemon
08-10-2005, 11:58 AM
was wondering what you guys thought of him. by his stats last year he seemed to do a pretty nice job while taking over for priest. he also seems to be really impressing the guys at jets TC this year. but since you guys got to see him him play i was wondering what your take on it was.

Frankie
08-10-2005, 12:00 PM
I really liked him. It seemed every time he came in for Priest there was minimal, if any, reduction of production.

Rain Man
08-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Derrick was respected here, and we didn't want to see him go. However, he was destined for third-string behind Priest and Larry Johnson, so no one blamed him for going.

When he had his opportunity to be a starter for a short period when Priest was hurt and Larry was in the doghouse, he had a great game his first time out, and then got shut down his second game (and maybe a third as well - I don't recall).

My take is that he's a great special teams guy and a good backup/spot starter. Could be more. I wasn't impressed with his hands, but he's fast and got a lot stronger after joining the NFL.

Mike in SW-MO
08-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Good back. But not special.

We wound up 2 guys ahead of him that are both special. When it was time for his new contract, he was too expensive for third string.

You get the picture.

alpha_omega
08-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Hated to lose him, and will wish him the best...except week 1

beer bacon
08-10-2005, 12:05 PM
was wondering what you guys thought of him. by his stats last year he seemed to do a pretty nice job while taking over for priest. he also seems to be really impressing the guys at jets TC this year. but since you guys got to see him him play i was wondering what your take on it was.

I would say his only two problems that he might have is carrying a full time load if you ever need him to do that and scoring in the redzone. He should be a good back for you guys. He is a good pass blocker and receiver.

Rukdafaidas
08-10-2005, 12:06 PM
He's a very good relief RB. Very effective catching the ball and has great speed. I don't think he has the body to take the punishment of an every down back, but the Jets aren't looking for that, yet.

Pitt Gorilla
08-10-2005, 12:07 PM
I like Blaylock and he has good speed. However, he seemed to be very easy to bring down. He's more of a change of pace guy than a featured back, IMO.

jspchief
08-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Good 2nd string RB. Has good speed, but lacks patience at times. I think his numbers are directly linked to the O-line he was playing behind, and doubt he'll ever be as productive as he was here.

You got a good player, but I don't think he'll be a viable permanent #1 if Martin goes down or retires.

Mecca
08-10-2005, 02:39 PM
I got something to add for the Jets fan, I know you were spouting about your improve secondary and John Mcgraw.

John McGraw was traded today for a conditional draft pick to the Lions and Pete Hunter was released. What about that secondary now?

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Derrick is a nice addition for you guys... especially since his paycheck hasn't caught up with his ability yet. You'll be pleased.

I hope he breaks out in week #2......

:D

Mr. Laz
08-10-2005, 02:53 PM
good luck to derrick AFTER week 1

:fire:

Radar Chief
08-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Derrick was respected here, and we didn't want to see him go. However, he was destined for third-string behind Priest and Larry Johnson, so no one blamed him for going.

When he had his opportunity to be a starter for a short period when Priest was hurt and Larry was in the doghouse, he had a great game his first time out, and then got shut down his second game (and maybe a third as well - I don't recall).

My take is that he's a great special teams guy and a good backup/spot starter. Could be more. I wasn't impressed with his hands, but he's fast and got a lot stronger after joining the NFL.

That’s what I remember. When defenses started keying on him, he got shut down pretty easy.

morphius
08-10-2005, 03:02 PM
I considered him a good relief guy, could step in and break one. Personally didn't really consider him a starter though, but he has some potential.

beer bacon
08-10-2005, 03:05 PM
That’s what I remember. When defenses started keying on him, he got shut down pretty easy.

He ran for 186 yards against the 30th ranked run defense of New Orleans. The next week we played against the 6th ranked run defense of NE who he only earned 58 yards against. The week after that he only got 57 yards against the 3rd ranked run D of San Diego.

I am guessing it was a combination of the horrible run defense of New Orleans and it being his first start that allowed him to rush for so much.

tiptap
08-10-2005, 04:14 PM
He ran for 186 yards against the 30th ranked run defense of New Orleans. The next week we played against the 6th ranked run defense of NE who he only earned 58 yards against. The week after that he only got 57 yards against the 3rd ranked run D of San Diego.

I am guessing it was a combination of the horrible run defense of New Orleans and it being his first start that allowed him to rush for so much.

Good run defenses know a running teams tendencies and anticipate the direction of plays. Last year, as opposed to the year before, we ran plays toward the left side of the offensive formation (why we had two all pros on that side and why there is a new RT this year). That side of the line muscled plays as opposed to two years ago when we ran just as much to the right and there was no tendency in direction. But against good defensive running teams, last years tendencies were anticipated. The result is that Blaylock had to make yardage on his strength not so much his speed. That is when he had trouble. He will have similar troubles this year in NY if called upon to run a whole lot. The offensive line of the Jets, arguably better run blockers than even the Chiefs last year in running to all directions, lost their RT and so will be hard pressed to be as versatile in their running game as last year.
If the versatility in the running game is back in Chief's line, then that will be the difference in a dominant run to the playoffs and SB and a heated run to get to the playoffs. It is my biggest concern for the offense.

greg63
08-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Like any good Running Back he will excel behind a good run blocking front line. He's a good athlete.

bringbackmarty
08-10-2005, 07:24 PM
I thought he was great, but ran a little too upright whicch caused him to be succeptible to poor shoestring tackling, he also wasn't as explosive as holmes or johnson, but who is? besides portis, and tomlinson.

Thig Lyfe
08-10-2005, 07:43 PM
D.Blay was good, had some talent, but seemed like a product of the system who stepped in at the right time. His performance against N.O. was great, but then again it was the KC o-line against the Saints defense.

Good, but not a superstar-in-the-making by any means.

(Watch him become the next Tom Brady... grr)

Ebolapox
08-10-2005, 07:55 PM
...(Watch him become the next Tom Brady... grr)

what, the next QB of the patriots??

-EB-

Saul Good
08-10-2005, 07:55 PM
He'll be a great #2 for the Jets. Classy guy too.

neckdemon
08-10-2005, 08:15 PM
yeah glad to hear all the positive reviews. of course i know that running behind yout o-line can make any back look better. i don't think the jets are looking for him to step in behind curtis when he's done, but if he excels to that point then i'm sure they wouldn't mind. as for the guy who asked me about mcgraw and our secondary......it says alot about celestin and our rookies that our FO felt they could go ahead and trade mcgraw, so i'm not worriesd about it at all.

Mr. Laz
08-10-2005, 08:16 PM
what kinda cracks me up ...

is that if someone had the audacity to say that about a player that was still on the chiefs roster, people would freak.

but since he's gone ... it's ok

like somehow a players talent level changes ROFL

beer bacon
08-10-2005, 08:17 PM

is that if someone had the audacity to say that about a player that was still on the chiefs roster, people would freak.

Yeah, that is really hilarious Laz.

Saul Good
08-10-2005, 08:27 PM

Usually fans play down a former players ability. Blaylock's gotten pretty good run on this site. What he said is right, though. I don't remember Priest ever having back to back 50 yard games.