PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday, Aug. 10, 2005 Afternoon Practice

philfree
08-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Wednesday, Aug. 10, 2005 Afternoon
K.C. Chiefs Training Camp Daily Updates

The temperature at the start of practice was 78 degrees with a dew point of 58 degrees. The wind was from the northwest at two miles per hour. The practice started under sunny skies, but by the end of practice clouds covered most of the sky. Some 135 fans were at the practice that lasted about one hour and 45 minutes.

Offense

During the final series of 11-on-11's red zone drills were ran. Wide receiver Eddie Kennison caught a pass from quarterback Trent Green for a 20-yard pass into the end zone. Tight end Tony Gonzalez caught a pass from a Green for a gain of nine-yards. Gonzalez then ran the ball 10-yards into the end zone. Tight end Kris Wilson caught a 15-yard pass in the end zone, from quarterback Todd Collins.
During the first series of 11-on-11's quarterback Trent Green had a good series and was 5-5. Wide receiver Eddie Kennison caught two, one for 30-yards and one for 25-yards, which was caught in the middle of the field. Wide receiver Dante Hall caught one for 10-yards. Wide receiver Chris Horn had a nice catch on the sidelines for a gain of 30-yards. Tight end Tony Gonzalez caught one for 25-yards.

During the second series of 11-on-11's running the ball was strongly emphasized. Running backs Dee Brown, Ronnie Cruz, and McKenzi Smith all saw a lot of snaps during the drill.

Priest Holmes took seven hand offs from quarterback Trent Green in a series of 11-on-11's. Holmes had an explosive run of 25-yards to the right side during this drill. Holmes also had a nice run up the middle for about a 20-yard gain.

During 7-on-7's this afternoon there were many great plays by the offense. Wide receiver Darrell Hill had a great catch for a gain of 25-yards, off a pass from quarterback Damon Huard. Hill succeeded in catching the ball even though he was being closely covered by cornerback Dewayne Washington and linebacker Rich Scanlon.

Wide receiver Dante Hall had a great catch for seven-yards and ran the ball for a gain of 20. After the play, you could hear coaches congratulating Hall and commenting him about his great hands.

Wide receiver Marc Boerigter had a great catch for 20-yards from quarterback Trent Green in the end zone. "Woohoo," was heard from coaches and players.

During the final series of 11-on-11's red zone drills were ran. Wide receiver Eddie Kennison caught a pass from quarterback Trent Green for a 20-yard pass into the end zone. Tight end Tony Gonzalez caught a pass from a Green for a gain of 19-yards and he scored on the play. Tight end Kris Wilson caught a 15-yard pass in the end zone, from quarterback Todd Collins.
Running back Priest Holmes, who was slightly injured over the weekend, was practicing today. Coach Dick Vermeil expects that he will play a few snaps against the Minnesota Vikings. Vermeil said that "we won't purposely hold out anybody, other than people that have bumps and bruises. Otherwise, they will all play."

Wide receiver Freddie Mitchell is at camp in River Falls and in physical rehab. Coach Dick Vermeil expects that he will start working out on the field on Sunday. Mitchell opted not to have surgery done on his knee when he visited a doctor in Kansas City, Mo., last week.
Quarterback James Kilian had a bit of a wild arm during this afternoon's 7-on-7 drills. Linebacker Derrick Johnson was able to perfectly read and intercept Kilian's pass intended for tight end Mike Kallfelz. The very next play, Kilian through a pass intended for wide receiver Jeris McIntyre and actually hit safety Greg Wesley in the back with the ball.

Defense

Linebacker Scott Fujita has recently been participating in both practices of the day. After having ankle surgery in the spring, Fujita appears to be fully recovered. Coach Dick Vermeil expects the veteran linebacker to play on Friday night.

Defensive players not participating in practice include defensive ends Khari Long and Carlos Hall , and linebackers Mike Maslowski, Shawn Barber, and Quinton Caver.

Safety Greg Wesley made a big impression in practice today, right from the first snap. During the first play of 11-on-11 drills, Wesley jumped in front of a pass from quarterback Damon Huard and knocked the attempt away. On the very next play Wesley tackled wide receiver Craphonso Thorpe to prevent the speedy Thorpe from gaining yards.

The defense was extremely fired up from the get go during the first set of 11-on-11's. Cornerback Patrick Surtain blocked a pass intended for wide receiver John Booth in the end zone. Fellow cornerback Benny Sapp put a hit on wide receiver Richard Smith that caused Smith to drop the ball.

During 7-on-7 drills, safety Sammy Knight broke up a pass intended for wide receiver John Booth, causing the play to be incomplete. Cornerback Benny Sapp, a few plays later, tackled Booth who fumbled. Coach Dick Vermeil yelled out to Sapp, "Benny Sapp, well done!" Linebacker Kris Griffin, during the same set of drills, intercepted a pass from quarterback James Kilian, which was intended for wide receiver Richard Smith. Safety Willie Pile was covering wide receiver Eddie Kennison deep in the end zone, which caused Kennison to miss the ball. Vermeil told Pile after the play, "Good jump on the ball, Willie Pile!"

During the last set of 11-on-11's, cornerback Patrick Surtain once again blocked another ball in the end zone, again intended for wide receiver John Booth, off of a pass from quarterback James Kilian. Linebacker Derrick Johnson tipped a pass that was intended for wide receiver Craphonso Thorpe. Defensive ends Clint Mitchell and Eric Hicks both tipped passes from Kilian.
Special Teams

Punters Nick Murphy and Dustin Colquitt each took five snaps today during the special teams portion of practice. Murphy averaged 42.3 yards while Colquitt averaged 40.1.
--------------

No word of LJ but then there's this Q&A on the official site.

Q&A RB LARRY JOHNSON
Aug 10, 2005, 6:24:18 PM

TRAINING CAMP

Q: How’s your thigh?

LARRY JOHNSON: “It’s just a bruise, no big thing. I’ve always been a quick healer. I’m still young so anything like this is….just precautionary. I told them I haven’t missed a game since I began playing football so I’m not going to miss one now even if it’s in the pre-season. So, I’m going to be out there Friday full force.”

Q: Can you talk about the reasons for the great camp you’re having?

JOHNSON: “It’s being comfortable with the system and basically it’s my attitude when running. I wasn’t running my college running style. I wasn’t as aggressive as I am now. Before the first two years I was sort of star-struck. I think that’s all over now.”

Q: The fact that you may get a real opportunity this year like you did at the end of last year give you extra incentive?

JOHNSON: “Oh yeah. Being able to go out there the last couple of games and be able to perform up to my potential definitely opened some eyes and my eyes that I can do some things in this offense and with this team.”

Q: Are you going to practice this afternoon?

JOHNSON: “I am going to be at practice. If I don’t practice this afternoon they may get a little shaky if I’m going to play Friday or not. I’m definitely going to be sure I’m going to be out there.”

Q: Are you anxious to hit someone else for a change this Friday?

JOHNSON: “We’re going to be real anxious. The last time we scrimmaged the Vikings at their place it was more a heavyweight bout than a scrimmage. This time we have referees to police that so there’s not going to be any full-force fights. It’ll definitely be the first team that we’re going to play against that doesn’t have an arrowhead on the helmet.”

Q: Are you glad it’s a game instead of a scrimmage?

JOHNSON: “Yeah, even though there are rules with scrimmages. You’re not supposed to be tackling guys and guys get hurt when they do. It breaks out into fights. It’s good to have real game-like conditions to get your mind set for this coming season.”

Q: How much do expectations for you differ from last season?

JOHNSON: “I put a lot on myself. Personally, I’m still living with that first day curse thing, so I’m basically trying to outlive that and, at the same time, go out there and make sure I can follow up on what I did last season.”

-----------------

Didn't see this stuff on the board so here it is.

PhilFree:arrow:

carlos3652
08-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Damn, Booth didnt do crap today other than fumble a ball, but its kinda crazy they had Surtain on him twice knocking balls in the endzone... I hope Booth can prove he is worth a 53 roster spot... at least PS...

Thanks for the update Phil!

nychief
08-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Sounds Like James Kilian had one hell of a day.

NaptownChief
08-10-2005, 08:10 PM

Yeah sounded like he has the accuracy of Randy Johnson in his Expos days.

carlos3652
08-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Yeah sounded like he has the accuracy of Randy Johnson in his Expos days.

Yeah, like Rhonda Moss' accuracy on reporting breaking news...

the Talking Can
08-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Does anyone know if Bell has actually tackled anybody yet?

Has he been in any full contact drills?

milkman
08-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Does anyone know if Bell has actually tackled anybody yet?

Has he been in any full contact drills?

I don't know if it counts as a "tackle", but it was reported, I believe, that he body slammed someone a couple of days ago.

the Talking Can
08-10-2005, 09:50 PM
I don't know if it counts as a "tackle", but it was reported, I believe, that he body slammed someone a couple of days ago.

oh yeah....well, it's a start...

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 09:58 PM

ROFL IIRC Svitek.

Just an observation that may not be correct but I think DV's camps are to check out unproven players. :hmmm:

whoman69
08-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Tell me again why he was drafted?

Ralphy Boy
08-10-2005, 10:06 PM

Say hello to our QB of the future!

Kilian meet Germaine.

Crush
08-10-2005, 10:11 PM

To prepare for the second coming of Marty so the wise Schottenheimer can groom the lad into the next Steve Bono.

nychief
08-10-2005, 10:13 PM

the 17th rated passer in the draft only lasts so long, my friend.

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 10:40 PM
the 17th rated passer in the draft only lasts so long, my friend.

Yep, with as many choices as we had, I think it was good that they took a flyer on a QB. Who knows, they may get lucky and no way they could keep all of those draftees anyway.

Pitt Gorilla
08-10-2005, 11:24 PM
"The very next play, Kilian through a pass intended for wide receiver Jeris McIntyre and actually hit safety Greg Wesley in the back with the ball."

Are you kidding me? Through?!? :shake:

Rukdafaidas
08-11-2005, 07:01 AM
ROFL IIRC Svitek.

Just an observation that may not be correct but I think DV's camps are to check out unproven players. :hmmm:
I think it was Parquet (or it could have been butter).

I have been reading good things about Killian. I've heard he's actually looking better than Huard. The kid has a pretty strong arm and he's also pretty fast. In the public minicamp practice, he took off with the ball for about a 40 yard gain. If it wasn't for DJ, he would have taken it all the way.

Scaga
08-11-2005, 07:05 AM
"The very next play, Kilian through a pass intended for wide receiver Jeris McIntyre and actually hit safety Greg Wesley in the back with the ball."

Are you kidding me? Through?!? :shake:

Sounds more like Bartee's defense :banghead: \

My bad...it reads "the back", not "the back of the head"

ptlyon
08-11-2005, 07:26 AM
I have been reading good things about Killian. I've heard he's actually looking better than Huard. The kid has a pretty strong arm and he's also pretty fast. In the public minicamp practice, he took off with the ball for about a 40 yard gain. If it wasn't for DJ, he would have taken it all the way.

I hope so. We need to start thinking about developing a younger quarterback.

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 08:17 AM
I think it was Parquet (or it could have been butter).

I hope so. We need to start thinking about developing a younger quarterback.

It would be great if he worked out, a lot of very good QBs have come from late round picks. Trent Green for one, as we all know.

ptlyon
08-11-2005, 08:26 AM
It would be great if he worked out, a lot of very good QBs have come from late round picks. Trent Green for one, as we all know.

I still wish we had Claussen here.

milkman
08-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Sounds more like Bartee's defense :banghead: \

My bad...it reads "the back", not "the back of the head"

While Billie Bartee may have a problem turning his head, it was Kawika Mitchell that got hit in the back of the head (helmut) on pass last season.