PDA

View Full Version : Al Saunders

stevieray
08-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Not only an offensive genius, but fan oriented too... I don't know if anyone remembers, but I posted pics from a mural once (War Cry)...anyway..after a morning practice..I got achance to talk to Al and asked him if he could get copies of Trent, Tony G and Priest autographed for me...told me he could get it done by the end of camp..when I informed him that I was leaving the next day, he asked for my address and said he would mail them to me! Unbelievable! I feel very fortunate...he also asked me if I was the one who gave Jared Allen his Elvis shades(requested on draft day)....I guess Jared was wearing them to meetings and lunch...

Thought I'd share Al's graciousness...I'm pretty stoked, considering most did not get the auto's they were hoping for on Family Fun night.

KChiefs1
08-10-2005, 10:12 PM
stevieray,

I just wanted to let you know my nephew loved the picture he had taken with you....he's got it up with the Tony Gonzalez & Priest Holmes pictures.

I'm wondering how many times you heard at Family Fun Night about the Flying Elvises? I know I was the first one to mention it, but probably not the last!

Nzoner
08-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Not only an offensive genius, but fan oriented too... I don't know if anyone remembers, but I posted pics from a mural once (War Cry)...anyway..after a morning practice..I got achance to talk to Al and asked him if he could copies of Trent, Tony G and Priest autographed for me...told me he could get it done by the end of camp..when I informed him that I was leaving the next day, he asked for my address and said he would mail them to me! Unbelievable! I feel very fortunate...he also asked me if I was the one who gave Jared Allen his Elvis shades(requested on draft day)....I guess Jared was wearing them to meetings and lunch...

Thought I'd share Al's graciousness...I'm pretty stoked, considering most did not get the auto's they were hoping for on Family Fun night.

He is very gracious,at the HOF game a couple of years ago he came running by at halftime to get back to the booth and I yelled,"hey Al have a good season."

He actually stopped came back to me,shook my hand and thanked me for making the trip to Canton.Helluva guy.

Hammock Parties
08-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Al has always struck me as a gentleman.

go bo
08-10-2005, 10:15 PM
flying elvises?

what, a trapeze act?

stevieray
08-10-2005, 10:17 PM
stevieray,

I just wanted to let you know my nephew loved the picture he had taken with you....he's got it up with the Tony Gonzalez & Priest Holmes pictures.

I'm wondering how many times you heard at Family Fun Night about the Flying Elvises? I know I was the first one to mention it, but probably not the last!

that was you? ROFL

I'm glad your nephew enjoyed it...that's awesome! the kids are the BEST part of being FDE...I wish you would've told me...I could've gotten him into the practice facilty to get his pic taken with Eddie Kennison for a poster to help out his charity...

stevieray
08-10-2005, 10:18 PM
He is very gracious,at the HOF game a couple of years ago he came running by at halftime to get back to the booth and I yelled,"hey Al have a good season."

He actually stopped came back to me,shook my hand and thanked me for making the trip to Canton.Helluva guy.

Sounds just like Al...caught him on his way out for his five mile run...told us he'd talk to us after he got back...and sure enough...

stevieray
Al has always struck me as a gentleman.

totally.

HemiEd
Cool Story Stevie and Nzoner, I hope he is our next Head Coach.

Crush
08-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Al's appearance just screams nice guy.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2005, 10:23 PM

Nope. Stoops will be the next head Coach of the KC Chiefs!

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 10:24 PM

GAwd I hope you are wrong, yuk. :#

KChiefs1
08-10-2005, 10:24 PM
that was you? ROFL

I'm glad your nephew enjoyed it...that's awesome! the kids are the BEST part of being FDE...I wish you would've told me...I couldv'e gotten him into the practice facilty to get his pic taken with Eddie Kennison for a poster to help out his charity...

I didn't want to bother you because I know you were busy, but I wish I had too! He was over in the Chiefs Experience in line at the time or I might have stopped & talked longer. It's funny you mentioned EK because Dustin spotted him in his Hummer that day & everwhere we went he was trying to spot it again! It would have really freaked him out to have met him....maybe next time! I'll definitely stop & talk longer next time.

stevieray
08-10-2005, 10:26 PM
I didn't want to bother you because I know you were busy, but I wish I had too! He was over in the Chiefs Experience in line at the time or I might have stopped & talked longer. It's funny you mentioned EK because Dustin spotted him in his Hummer that day & everwhere we went he was trying to spot it again! It would have really freaked him out to have met him....maybe next time! I'll definitely stop & talk longer next time.

Cool! but don't let others scare you off...once I stop, I get bombarded...but I'm used to it...and the kids are worth it...

Nzoner
08-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Al's appearance just screams nice guy.

As long as he ditches it in say 19 games this year.I wanna see a '99 Rams like season,put your foot on their throat and do not let up.

A few 52-10 games would be just fine by me.

C-Mac
08-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Elvis Allen?

stevieray
08-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Elvis Allen?

ROFL

There's a pic on the RF site....He drives a vintage caddy...

DaWolf
08-11-2005, 02:30 AM
Al is a good guy and he loves KC. That's what I respect about him and Gun, they are passionate about the Chiefs and about KC, they're not just here to coach and make a buck...

J Diddy
08-11-2005, 02:32 AM
Al is a good guy and he loves KC. That's what I respect about him and Gun, they are passionate about the Chiefs and about KC, they're not just here to coach and make a buck...

I'd be inclined to agree with this assessment.

Rukdafaidas
08-11-2005, 05:29 AM
Here's a picture of Allen wearing the shades and sideburns. Stevieray, it's funny that you were involved with the shades. When I first saw this picture the other day, I was going to start a thread about you having some competition.

Rukdafaidas
08-11-2005, 05:42 AM
Also, I agree with you about Saunders, the guy's a class act. At River Falls last year, I saw him come out of the building by the practice fields and went over to say hello. We ended up talking for about 5 minutes about the 2004 offense. Not many coaches would take that kind of time to discuss these things with Joe Fan.
Frank Gansz Jr. was also very easy to talk to. I think he was just amazed that I knew who he was. ROFL

Kerberos
08-11-2005, 05:43 AM
Elvis Allen?

Thank Yuu .... Thank Yuu ...... Thank yuu Verrry muuch.

:D

Frankie
08-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Gee I hope so.

Frankie
08-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Gee I hope not.

Frankie
08-11-2005, 09:13 AM
GAwd I hope you are wrong, yuk. :#
I totally agree (about Stoops). I totally don't understand this obsession with Stoops or any other college coach. Remeber Spurrier? Recent history of converted college coaches has not been very shiny. Plus we have a good system in place. Great 'O' coaches and a damn good DC. Our next headcoach is already in the staff (Saunders) and Carl will be absolutely sh!t-brained if he goes elsewhere for the next HC. The continuity and coaches like Solari are irreplaceable commodities. And to the first guy who sites the Rams' dubious promotion of their OC to HC, I say this: That guy had no headcoaching experience, nor the mentality. Saunders has both. Yes his previous HC experience was not that great. But it wasn't too bad either. AND he had stepped in for a legendary HC (Coryel, sp). I say he is smart and has learned from that experience. Remember Belichick?

beavis
08-11-2005, 09:20 AM
I'd bet all my Earthly possesions that he won't be.

morphius
08-11-2005, 09:23 AM
I will trade those for the one that Okeye has in the mail for me...

Ugh!

ptlyon
08-11-2005, 09:24 AM

All I need is this... This paddle ball, this ash tray...

Rain Man
08-11-2005, 09:27 AM

Throw in your soul, and we've got a bet.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Al dived out in front of a car to save my weiner dog one time in Overland Park, what a great guy!

Dartgod
08-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Hey Stevie. You going to the Elvis Parade tomorrow?

Mr. Laz
08-11-2005, 10:18 AM
i like and respect al saunders

imo he should get the next shot as our HC ... he's earned it.

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 10:21 AM
I totally agree (about Stoops). I totally don't understand this obsession with Stoops or any other college coach. Remeber Spurrier? Recent history of converted college coaches has not been very shiny. Plus we have a good system in place. Great 'O' coaches and a damn good DC. Our next headcoach is already in the staff (Saunders) and Carl will be absolutely sh!t-brained if he goes elsewhere for the next HC. The continuity and coaches like Solari are irreplaceable commodities. And to the first guy who sites the Rams' dubious promotion of their OC to HC, I say this: That guy had no headcoaching experience, nor the mentality. Saunders has both. Yes his previous HC experience was not that great. But it wasn't too bad either. AND he had stepped in for a legendary HC (Coryel, sp). I say he is smart and has learned from that experience. Remember Belichick?

I could not agree more, well said IMO.

C-Mac
08-11-2005, 10:27 AM
ROFL

There's a pic on the RF site....He drives a vintage caddy...

Have you posted it yet?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-11-2005, 10:35 AM

Also, Marv Levy stunk it up here and then went on to Buffalo to then go to 4 straight Super Bowls. Too bad the NFC was so freaking better than the AFC during those years (and bad fortune, the wide right, etc), or they would've won at least one.

DTLB58
08-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Yes, He is very gracious. I talked to Al a couple of year ago when we were all over at the dorms waiting for the players to come out from lunch. Al and Dick came by. They both stopped,talked, signed. Very cool :thumb:

Luckily, I was one of the few that got the sig I wanted on Family fun night.

Stevie Ray, I didn't realize it was you as "First down Elvis" or I would have struck up a conversation. Getcha next time.

stevieray
08-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey Stevie. You going to the Elvis Parade tomorrow?

yup. I'm going to be in it.

KC Dan
08-11-2005, 11:43 AM
yup. I'm going to be in it.
Wish I could see it! Oughta be a good time

stevieray
08-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Wish I could see it! Oughta be a good time

Ya, it should be fun..riding in a convertible jag...

C-Mac
08-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Ya, it should be fun..riding in a convertible jag...

Hey Stevie, if ever needed, I've got the ol' 91 Chiefs Red Camaro convertable available.

stevieray
08-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Hey Stevie, if ever needed, I've got the ol' 91 Chiefs Red Camaro convertable available.

dang! wish I knew!

rep.

milkman
08-11-2005, 07:26 PM

I was going to make the same comparison.

He also took over a Chargers team that was aging,and losing some of the stars to retirement.

I've posted the same before, but I recall reading an article about Al, and he discussed his Charger experience.

He said in that situation, he tried to continue to do the same things the Chargers had been been doing previously, and realizes now that was a mistake.

Said, if and when he gets another opportunity, he'll adjust to the available talent, rather than trying to get the players to adjust to his system.

And I repeat what I said then.
The way he has been able to adjust and adapt to the players in this offense over the years he's been here as OC provides pretty solid evidence that he did learn that lesson.

If he doesn't get the opportunity to be HC in KC when Dick leaves after this season (hopefully), he will get an opportunity somewhere, and I will be pissed, and I suspect that Carl will regret it.

go bo
08-11-2005, 07:29 PM
:Dnow THAT'S a chiefs car... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Hammock Parties
08-11-2005, 07:49 PM
I think I've changed my mind about Al. If he is our next coach, likely he will have a pretty good D. He'd be the man to rebuild the O for sure.

Frankie
08-11-2005, 08:44 PM
If he doesn't get the opportunity to be HC in KC when Dick leaves after this season (hopefully), he will get an opportunity somewhere, and I will be pissed, and I suspect that Carl will regret it.
AMEN!

Pants
08-12-2005, 05:14 AM
I think I've changed my mind about Al. If he is our next coach, likely he will have a pretty good D. He'd be the man to rebuild the O for sure.

Our O won't need rebuilding for at least another 3 years.

Hammock Parties
08-12-2005, 07:08 AM
Our O won't need rebuilding for at least another 3 years.

Shields, Roaf, Trent, Priest and Kennison are all gone with 2, 3 years max.

KChiefs1
08-12-2005, 07:24 AM
that was you? ROFL

I'm glad your nephew enjoyed it...that's awesome! the kids are the BEST part of being FDE...I wish you would've told me...I could've gotten him into the practice facilty to get his pic taken with Eddie Kennison for a poster to help out his charity...

Here's the picture:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/KChiefs1/0674929-R1-032-14A.jpg