PDA

View Full Version : COPY of post from the Geeks forum.

mcan
08-11-2005, 01:09 AM
If any of the mods want to delete this thread, that's cool, but I wanted some people to see my problem. (Better my chance at getting some much needed help).

Cable connection with Cox here in Manhattan, KS. The signal will be great for awhile, and be completely useless (100% packet loss) for hours at a time. The same thing happened at my old apartment, so I'm starting to think that it might be an issue with my equipment or my computer settings or something. Before, I thought it was just a crappy signal from COX, because my TV was fuzzy on the lower channels. Now, my TV is great all the time, but the same symptoms keep creeping up on the internet connection. BTW, I don't use a splitter. The internet connection is in my TV(less) bedroom.

Has anybody had any problems with a Terayon TJ715 modem? Does anybody know any common problems with cable connections that are user related? What could possibly causing my intermittant packet loss problem? I would think that if something was wrong, it would be wrong all the time, and then be fixed, and be fine.

mcan
08-11-2005, 01:18 AM
Bring me a bag of Soft Batch cookies and a pack of Camel Menthols within 20 minutes, and I'll give you a mint condition Motorola cable modem.

Plane fare for a trip to Scotsdale? Maybe a bit out of my budget, but I like the gesture. Thanks.
The soft batch cookies sound really good though. You may have given me an idea for a half hour from now when my connection will probably go bad again....

Hammock Parties
08-11-2005, 01:44 AM
Holy shit. My penis is TINY. I know my hands are bigger now than they were when I was a kid, but there's no way my penis was this small back then.

mcan
08-11-2005, 01:48 AM
Holy shit. Chewy Chips Ahoys are TINY. I know my hands are bigger now than they were when I was a kid, but there's no way the cookies were this small back then.

That was quick. I'm actually looking a ruler right now, and I'm guessing the cookies I remember are about 2.25" in diameter.

Simplex3
08-11-2005, 02:04 AM
Hey mcan, when your s**t is "down" try this:

First make sure your IP stack isn't f**ked:
C:\ ping 127.0.0.1

Next make sure name resolution in hosts is working:
C:\ ping localhost

Now try to ping the IP address of your gateway. I don't know what that address is but you can get it from here:
C:\ ipconfig /all

If you can ping the gateway the problem is probably their stuff, if one of the first two fails it's probably your stuff.

J Diddy
08-11-2005, 02:15 AM
Um yeah.

ROFL

mcan
08-11-2005, 03:02 AM
Hey mcan, when your s**t is "down" try this:

First make sure your IP stack isn't f**ked:
C:\ ping 127.0.0.1

Next make sure name resolution in hosts is working:
C:\ ping localhost

Now try to ping the IP address of your gateway. I don't know what that address is but you can get it from here:
C:\ ipconfig /all

If you can ping the gateway the problem is probably their stuff, if one of the first two fails it's probably your stuff.

thanks for the info. I'm not really educated on what to do with it though. I have a program that I can type web sites into and it'll show a ping plotter. But I don't think that's what you're doing here. These are DOS commands right? I'm not sure how to even get to a DOS prompt...

Simplex3
08-11-2005, 03:05 AM
thanks for the info. I'm not really educated on what to do with it though. I have a program that I can type web sites into and it'll show a ping plotter. But I don't think that's what you're doing here. These are DOS commands right? I'm not sure how to even get to a DOS prompt...
Start/Run -> cmd

mcan
08-11-2005, 03:07 AM
Start/Run -> cmd

you kick ass...

mcan
08-11-2005, 03:13 AM
well I pinged all three of those, and got four out of four packets right back. Perfect. But, like I said, it's obviously working now. (Otherwise we wouldn't be talking)... :(

Hammock Parties
08-11-2005, 03:13 AM
You aren't using a wireless router are you?

mcan
08-11-2005, 03:25 AM
You aren't using a wireless router are you?

No, but I'm going to be in a couple days. My roommates haven't moved in yet, so I've got the modem all to myself. It goes

Wall --->(via cable) ---> Modem ---> (via USB) ---> Computer. The cords are all good, and From what I can tell, the cable signal is solid. I can imagine an older building getting fuzzy cable signal from time to time, but it would be rare, right? So, I gotta think that the problem is on this end.

Hammock Parties
08-11-2005, 03:27 AM
Why aren't you using ethernet?

mcan
08-11-2005, 03:36 AM
Why aren't you using ethernet?

Oops. I am. Nevermind. I get those confused. I almost typed ethernet, but I didn't want to be wrong (and look stupid) so I looked at the back of my modem to see what the jack was labeled. But, I've taken the casing off of my modem. So, I looked on the back of the casing and saw "USB." So I was like, "That sounds right." The other one (the one I use) is labeled "10/100 Base -t." Which apparently stands for Ethernet... :rolleyes:

I'm retarded...

Rausch
08-11-2005, 03:37 AM
Just an idea here, but I've spilled a minimum of a casse on my keyboard, have no ****ing clue what I'm doing, and only know rudimentary HTML and I'm still online. Consisstently. Never miss a friggen day.

Mediacom ain't all that, so I'm guessing it's worth the $$$ to shell out more than $800 for a PC...

Hammock Parties
08-11-2005, 03:38 AM
Oh, I have an idea. Make sure your ethernet card isn't set to some retarded power save mode that turns it off after awhile, or something.

mcan
08-11-2005, 03:41 AM
Just an idea here, but I've spilled a minimum of a casse on my keyboard, have no ****ing clue what I'm doing, and only know rudimentary HTML and I'm still online. Consisstently. Never miss a friggen day.

Mediacom ain't all that, so I'm guessing it's worth the $$$ to shell out more than $800 for a PC...

Could it be the computer itself? I'm not sure how expensive it was. It probably wasn't much. An Emachines T1360. But, what the hell about the computer would make my internet connection cut in and out?

Hammock Parties
08-11-2005, 03:42 AM
Is there anything definable you do to RESTORE net access?

mcan
08-11-2005, 03:46 AM
Oh, I have an idea. Make sure your ethernet card isn't set to some retarded power save mode that turns it off after awhile, or something.

Shit. I just checked and under the properties of the ethernet card there was a box that said "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." The box was checked. Why the hell would it turn off my ethernet card while I'm online though? Also, while my connection was down, I tried several times to "repair the connection" and every time, it would either not be able to renew the IP address, or it would say "limited to no connectivity." Wouldn't the computer then detect that the ethernet card had no power, and... Give it some?...

J Diddy
08-11-2005, 03:46 AM

I got all of $200 invested in my laptop and I've got the same thing.

Hammock Parties
08-11-2005, 03:48 AM
Shit. I just checked and under the properties of the ethernet card there was a box that said "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." The box was checked. Why the hell would it turn off my ethernet card while I'm online though? Also, while my connection was down, I tried several times to "repair the connection" and every time, it would either not be able to renew the IP address, or it would say "limited to no connectivity." Wouldn't the computer then detect that the ethernet card had no power, and... Give it some?...

No clue, but I'd turn off power saving.

And, I hate to sound like a cable modem tech support rep on your phone, but you could try powercycling your modem. ROFL

mcan
08-11-2005, 03:50 AM
Is there anything definable you do to RESTORE net access?

Not usually. Sometimes it'll just come back. The "cable" LED on my modem will be blinking slowly for hours, and then blink rapidly and come on solid for no real good reason. This time, I happened to pick up the modem and blow into the casing (thinking it might have overheated or be dusty) and it came right back on. So, I removed the plastic casing and looked for anything that might be covered with dust or something. No such luck. There was some on the inside of the plastic, but none on the motherboard of the unit (that I could see). Anyway, the box was pretty warm, so I've just let it set out, and it's worked fine now for a couple hours.

mcan
08-11-2005, 03:52 AM
No clue, but I'd turn off power saving.

And, I hate to sound like a cable modem tech support rep on your phone, but you could try powercycling your modem. ROFL

You mean unplugging it and letting it power up again? Tried that a bajillion times... :mad:

Hammock Parties
08-11-2005, 04:01 AM
You mean unplugging it and letting it power up again? Tried that a bajillion times... :mad:

Heh heh. DID YOU WAIT TEN SECONDS? :hmmm: :rolleyes: ROFL :banghead:

Hammock Parties
08-11-2005, 04:02 AM
Try and use someone elses computer with the same connection and modem. If you get the same problem, it's not your computer.

Is this the same ISP and account? How close is your new apartment to the old? It could be an ISP problem.

mcan
08-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Try and use someone elses computer with the same connection and modem. If you get the same problem, it's not your computer.

Is this the same ISP and account? How close is your new apartment to the old? It could be an ISP problem.

I transferred my old account to my new address, so yeah, it's the same. But, this is a college town with probably hundreds of computers all packed into a couple blocks. I'm sure if everybody was having this problem, then I'd have heard about it by now.

KCTitus
08-11-2005, 06:56 AM
...The "cable" LED on my modem will be blinking slowly for hours, and then blink rapidly and come on solid for no real good reason...

The problem is your cable connection. Your cable led should allways be solid. If it's blinking slowly it's not getting a signal, when it blinks rapidly it is restoring connection to the network.

Your data feed should be separate from your video/audio feed, a filter should be installed on the line going to the cable box to keep the TV feed from interfering.

You should have the cable company come out and fix this.

the Talking Can
08-11-2005, 07:03 AM
yeah, I had something similiar and it was the "barrel" in the wall socket that needed to be replaced...looks kind of like a spark plug, but smaller...took the cable guy minutes to figure it out and 30 secs to fix it

KCFalcon59
08-11-2005, 08:44 AM
The problem is your cable connection. Your cable led should allways be solid. If it's blinking slowly it's not getting a signal, when it blinks rapidly it is restoring connection to the network.

Your data feed should be separate from your video/audio feed, a filter should be installed on the line going to the cable box to keep the TV feed from interfering.

You should have the cable company come out and fix this.

The same thing happened to my parents. The cable was split 3 times after it entered the house and then again at the TV. She wasn't getting a good enough signal. Once we rewired the house and made a direct line to the computer all there troubles went away.