PDA

View Full Version : TRR's Report from Camp...

TRR
08-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Only one day left in River Falls. It's been pretty fun, but the rain has got in the way on several occasions. I'll post more when I have time, and will give my thoughts on the KC Vs Vikes Preseason game tomorrow. For now, here is my impressions of this summer's training camp...

Vermeil is resting quite a few of the offensive guys. Priest Holmes has barely practiced, Kennison has had a day or two off, along with Larry Johnson, Willie Roaf, Will Shields, Tony Gonzalez, Casey Weigmann, and Trent Green. The intensity is there, but the players are really being reined in this summer on the offensive side of the ball. This could be a good thing, or a bad thing...Only time will tell. I expect the 1st string offense to be rusty against the Vikes tomorrow night. I haven't seen the offense practice as a whole since I've gotten up here. Hopefully the rest will pay off.

The defense is a entirely different animal. I am impressed with the intensity they bring to every drill. Just going through walk through's, the D is physical. Eric Hicks got into a fight with Casey Weigmann the other morning because Weigmann though Hicks was going to hard for the style of drill they were doing.

Players I have been impressed with are:

Derrick Johnson: Always making a play. He's different than other rookies in that Boomer Grigsby is in position to make a play, but doesn't always get it done. Johnson always closes the deal whether it be an INT (awesome pick a couple of mornings ago), or a form tackle. Very impressive for a rook. DJ needs to keep his helmet on during drills though. The first chance DJ gets, he'll take his helmet off. He's gotten yelled at several times for taking his helmet off, and not getting it back on quick enough when his name is called.

Kendrell Bell: Lightning fast and physical. Always looks like he is around the football, and just loves to play the game. Very impressive rushing the passer as he would average about 2 sacks a day in team drills if were allowed to t-off on the QB.

Samie Parker: Fast doesn't describe Parker. He put a move on Surtain (very impressed w/PS as well) the other day that completely turned him around. Has shown great hands in camp as well. I believe Parker will put up Morton's numbers and then some.

Sammy Knight: A true leader. Enough said.

That's all for now, but I've liked what I've seen thus far, and hope they play well for real tomorrow night. From what DV said, it looks like Priest, LJ, and Tony Gonzalez will all play. I got to talk to Carl Peterson for a couple of minutes today, and he hopes that all the additions pay off. He is really excited to see what Bell, Surtain, and Knight can bring to the field tomorrow night and beyond. I also talked to Crow Thorpe's parents for awhile a couple of nights ago. They are excited that he's in KC, and his Dad told me Crow is 100% healthy now.

More later....

Crush
08-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the report. Tomorrow's game is so close, yet so far.

Wallcrawler
08-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Cant wait to see Johnson in action tomorrow night in his first actual NFL game.

Ive heard so much about how this guy is so good, it will be interesting to see how he handles himself in the first full speed contest.

Id like to see him play a few series, and then GET OFF THE FIELD.

There is not a whole lot of sense in keeping guys in a preseason game who you are already projecting as a huge contributor during the regular season and exposing them to the risk of injury when it isnt needed.

The Chiefs lost Kris Wilson last season for keeping him on the field late in the fourth quarter of the final pre-season game. I still cannot fathom why he was still in the game at that point. I was under the impression that the final pre-season game was pretty much dedicated to the guys on the roster who were in question, and that was their last shot to try to show what they can do and try to make the final roster.

They knew Wilson was going to make the final roster, so in my mind, he shouldnt have been in the game at that point.

The last thing the Chiefs need is a repeat of the injuries that happened in the pre-season last year. Hopefully the coaching staff takes better care of the players that they would like to keep for the regular season this year.

donkhater
08-11-2005, 12:13 PM

Ive heard so much about how this guy is so good, it will be interesting to see how he handles himself in the first full speed contest.

There is not a whole lot of sense in keeping guys in a preseason game who you are already projecting as a huge contributor during the regular season and exposing them to the risk of injury when it isnt needed.

The Chiefs lost Kris Wilson last season for keeping him on the field late in the fourth quarter of the final pre-season game. I still cannot fathom why he was still in the game at that point. I was under the impression that the final pre-season game was pretty much dedicated to the guys on the roster who were in question, and that was their last shot to try to show what they can do and try to make the final roster.

They knew Wilson was going to make the final roster, so in my mind, he shouldnt have been in the game at that point.

The last thing the Chiefs need is a repeat of the injuries that happened in the pre-season last year. Hopefully the coaching staff takes better care of the players that they would like to keep for the regular season this year.
Well, in all fairness to the Chiefs, the roster gets cut down to I believe 60 players before the last preseason game. So if you don't play your starters, who do you play? A rookie who will be a backup in the upcoming season is going to have to play the fourth quarter of the fourth preseason game.

Now, since DJ is projected to start, I would have issue with him being out on the field at that point, but I don't fault KC for having Wilson out there at all.

the Talking Can
08-11-2005, 12:16 PM
thanks!

nice to hear some good news about Bell...did you see him in full contract drills?

Mr. Laz
08-11-2005, 12:28 PM
thanks

Tinlar
08-11-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm gonna be working and I'm stuck in central Texas which means I get radio broadcasts for the game... christ I want to watch some football already..

htismaqe
08-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Holthus said that Sammy Knight is directing the defense right now and that Gunther calls him "The Sergeant".

alpha_omega
08-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks TRR.

the Talking Can
08-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Bell's out for sure tonight...just heard an interview with DV

DV claimed he hasn't had any contact and won't play in a preseason game until he has contact in practice.

I'm still confused. Is he hitting people or not? Is he injured or not?

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Cool update TRR. Ever think about working for the KC media? That was better than the drivel those clowns put out any day.

beer bacon
08-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Bell's out for sure tonight...just heard an interview with DV

DV claimed he hasn't had any contact and won't play in a preseason game until he has contact in practice.

I'm still confused. Is he hitting people or not? Is he injured or not?

I have heard that he is staying in during 7-7 (passing) drills, but Fox is replacing him during 9-7 (rushing) drills.

Idahored
08-11-2005, 01:19 PM

Rookies need reps regardless if they are going to start. They can have all the talent in the world, but the one thing they do not have is experience in the NFL. The best experience they can get get prior to the season is to play a lot in the preseason games. And play they will.

kc rush
08-11-2005, 01:19 PM
thanks!

nice to hear some good news about Bell...did you see him in full contract drills?

It is good to hear something positive about Bell. If you listen to the guys on the radio, Bell is practically a paraplegic who will be lost for the season after the first snap.

Also good to hear that Parker is doing well. If he is doing that well and some of the other receivers are coming along, Freddie Mitchell could be cut (trade him to Philly).

PRIEST
08-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanx,Much better then the UWRF reports :(

beer bacon
08-11-2005, 01:22 PM

DV said in a Q&A that DJ would probably play a quarter and a half in the first preseason game.

Chiefnj
08-11-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm confused about Bell.

the Talking Can
08-11-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm confused about Bell.

ditto, and I'd like to thank our intrepid KC reporters for doing nothing to clear it up...

KCJake
08-11-2005, 01:53 PM
YES! Thanks for the great update. WE HAVE DEFENSE guys! I can't wait for tomorrow night. Is NFL network showing the game? Probably not. I'll have to listen on the net.

Chiefnj
08-11-2005, 01:55 PM
YES! Thanks for the great update. WE HAVE DEFENSE guys! I can't wait for tomorrow night. Is NFL network showing the game? Probably not. I'll have to listen on the net.

NFL network is playing the game on Sunday.

philfree
08-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Very nice report :clap: Very nice!

PhilFree:arrow:

TRR
08-11-2005, 06:35 PM
I watched Bell play in full pads twice since I've been up here. It hasn't been "game" full go, but it's been practice full go. I think Vermeil is just playing it safe with just about every player with a question mark at this point. Like I said in the title thread, this could be a great thing and keep our older guys fresh, or hurt us at the beginning of the season and beyond. At this point, I don't think it will hurt too much. There's been at least 1 practice that has been changed from full pads to T's and Shorts, and about every practice has been shortened at least 15-20 minutes from it's original time. That's why I said, don't be looking for anything spectacular tomorrow night...They'll be rusty.

Bell looked fine to me. Real quick and took about every rep with the first team in T's and shorts. I haven't seen anything to suggest that he won't be ready by the opener.

DV is being very careful w/everyone. Maybe too careful.

Mecca
08-11-2005, 06:39 PM
If I hear one more person on my radio compare Kendrell Bell to Juan Gonzalez I'm going to go nuts. What kinda stupid comparison is that? I also like how the majority of people are so clueless about anyone who didn't play for the Chiefs. I had to listen to a guy talk about how Bell hasn't played in 2 years, when he played in 44 of 48 games until last year.

Worst of all he wasn't corrected by the hosts, they agreed with him, gotta love ignorance.

milkman
08-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Holthus said that Sammy Knight is directing the defense right now and that Gunther calls him "The Sergeant".

Now that's a pretty cool nickname for Sammy.

Phobia
08-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Nice job, TRR. Well done.

You met Cro's parents?

How are Crap and Honso doing? Tell them Piss and Shit said hello.

Did you ever get the small ChiefsPlanet hat to fit your pinhead?

TRR
08-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Nice job, TRR. Well done.

You met Cro's parents?

How are Crap and Honso doing? Tell them Piss and Shit said hello.

Did you ever get the small ChiefsPlanet hat to fit your pinhead?

That is the stupidest nickname I've ever heard. I actually talked to Cro's Dad about it. I said some posters on the internet pronounce your son's names as Crap-on-zo, and he said, "Wow are they clueless...it's pronounced Craf-onzo." He had a good laugh about it.

I actually used the CP hat as an autograph tool. I had Weigmann, Roaf, Waters, Sampson, Bober, Shields, Hicks, Allen, Wilkerson, Dalton, Sims, and Carl Peterson autograph it. That stretch fit crap sucks, so I'll add it to my collection of autograph hats.

Bowser
08-11-2005, 10:00 PM
...... and Carl Peterson autograph it.

nmt1 will give you $25,000 for it.

tk13
08-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Why would he pay $25K for his own autograph?

Logical
08-11-2005, 10:25 PM
That is the stupidest nickname I've ever heard. I actually talked to Cro's Dad about it. I said some posters on the internet pronounce your son's names as Crap-on-zo, and he said, "Wow are they clueless...it's pronounced Craf-onzo." He had a good laugh about it.

I actually used the CP hat as an autograph tool. I had Weigmann, Roaf, Waters, Sampson, Bober, Shields, Hicks, Allen, Wilkerson, Dalton, Sims, and Carl Peterson autograph it. That stretch fit crap sucks, so I'll add it to my collection of autograph hats.

I don't feel he should be called Crap, in fact I have always said it the way his dad said it should be pronounced However I do find it hilarious people using Cro, Crow or whatever else because they are too little schoolgirlish to type Craphonso.

beer bacon
08-11-2005, 10:26 PM
I don't feel he should be called Crap, in fact I have always said it the way his dad said it should be pronounced However I do find it hilarious people using Cro, Crow or whatever else because they are too little schoolgirlish to type Craphonso.

I thought Cro was his nickname.

TRR
08-11-2005, 10:29 PM

Cro is his nickname. His Dad even refers to him as Cro'.

Phobia
08-11-2005, 10:40 PM

That's quality. Heh. I owe you a beer for that. Redeemable in the next 24 hours only.

Phobia
08-11-2005, 10:58 PM

He had a good laugh?

Wow. He's laughing at the "clueless" people who pronounce his son's name "Crap" when the first 4 letters are "Crap". Okidoke. Heh. Wow.

I'm guessing Terdell Sand's parents also believe those internet Chiefs fans to be clueless.

These damn Rowdes skoalars are just too smart for me these days....

TRR
08-11-2005, 11:00 PM
He had a good laugh?

Wow. He's laughing at the "clueless" people who pronounce his son's name "Crap" when the first 4 letters are "Crap". Okidoke. Heh. Wow.

I'm guessing Terdell Sand's parents also believe those internet Chiefs fans to be clueless.

These damn Rowdes skoalars are just too smart for me these days....

Any idiot that at least graduated the 8th grade knows ph makes the F sound.

Should I start calling you Pee Hobia?

Chiefnj
08-11-2005, 11:03 PM

So, why doesn't his dad call him craph [pronounced craf]? Where does he get the Crow from? Kind of like naming your kid William but calling him Wull. There ain't no O in Craph. Do we just pick a vowel or something?

TRR
08-11-2005, 11:05 PM
So, why doesn't his dad call him craph [pronounced craf]? Where does he get the Crow from? Kind of like naming your kid William but calling him Wull. There ain't no O in Craph. Do we just pick a vowel or something?

CRaphonsO.

Phobia
08-11-2005, 11:07 PM

Pee Hobia is fine with me. I can deal with that curse my parents and their ancestors bestored upon me.

Now, if my name were Craphonso.... that might be a different story. Seriously - did his parents enjoy the pleasure of all their teeth and perfect eyesight? Really? I mean.... That's like naming your daugher Misshitte. Anybody who graduated 8th grate would know it's not really pronouced like that, but any idiot who can read sees the shit sandwich.

Mr. Kotter
08-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Awesome report. :clap:

Phobia
08-11-2005, 11:09 PM
CRaphonsO.

Oh. That makes perfect sense considering Bowser and Boozer's names.

Chiefnj
08-11-2005, 11:10 PM
CRaphonsO.

So, if your name is TOnY someone should call you TOY? Would you call KEviN, KEN for short?

Mr. Kotter
08-11-2005, 11:13 PM
.... That stretch fit crap sucks, so I'll add it to my collection of autograph hats.

To each his own, I love it. I'll never buy another type of cap, if I can help it. Maybe it's made for us boys with big mellons. :hmmm:

TRR
08-11-2005, 11:14 PM
So, if your name is TOnY someone should call you TOY? Would you call KEviN, KEN for short?

Damn I just talked to the dude for a couple of minutes. I didn't get into why they call him Cro', they just do. The reason they named him Craphonso has something to do with his Dad's name put together w/someone else's name.

All that matters is that Cro' is pretty impressive on the field for a rook. He has a ways to go, but he could become a solid Wideout in this offense.

Logical
08-11-2005, 11:15 PM

Should I start calling you Pee Hobia?PeeHobia a moderator with a sense of humor might run with that.ROFL

TRR
08-11-2005, 11:15 PM
To each his own, I love it. I'll never buy another type of cap, if I can help it. Maybe it's made for us boys with big mellons. :hmmm:

I can see why people like it. Stretch fit hats always seem to look like a billboard on people. I can see them coming from a mile away. But, it is nice to have something that is fitted without it actually being "fitted."

Logical
08-11-2005, 11:17 PM
CRaphonsO.

OK folks I am VLT yup VLib LogiclosT:p

Phobia
08-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Damn I just talked to the dude for a couple of minutes. I didn't get into why they call him Cro', they just do. The reason they named him Craphonso has something to do with his Dad's name put together w/someone else's name.

All that matters is that Cro' is pretty impressive on the field for a rook. He has a ways to go, but he could become a solid Wideout in this offense.

Seriously - his dad's name is like Alphonso and his mother's name is Crap or something very close to that. His parents aren't very bright - that much is pretty clear. What if Fumar and Kubanza decided to name their kid after themselves?

Mr. Kotter
08-11-2005, 11:18 PM
I can see why people like it. Stretch fit hats always seem to look like a billboard on people. I can see them coming from a mile away. But, it is nice to have something that is fitted without it actually being "fitted."

I prefer the "billboard" appearance too; never liked those hug the head hats.... :shake:

Chiefs Pantalones
08-11-2005, 11:19 PM
What a catch by Crap, Joe!!

Yeah, be made that CB do just that!!

Logical

All that matters is that Cro' is pretty impressive on the field for a rook. He has a ways to go, but he could become a solid Wideout in this offense.OK you have endured a lot of teasing, but I agree that whatever we end up calling him I hope we hear his name a lot.

Phobia
PeeHobia a moderator with a sense of humor might run with that.ROFL

Oh - damn. It's really a shame that we don't. Heh heh.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-11-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm going to stick with calling him Crap. That's easier.

Phobia
08-11-2005, 11:22 PM
I prefer the "billboard" appearance too; never liked those hug the head hats.... :shake:

I like both - which may have something to do with why we chose both styles. I have one of each and I think they're both practical.

TRR, if you'd like to donate your autographed fitted cap to 37 Forever's charity auction, we'll give you the stone colored cap for free when you're in town. I don't even know who autographed the thing...

Mr. Kotter
08-11-2005, 11:23 PM
OK you have endured a lot of teasing, but I agree that whatever we end up calling him I hope we hear his name a lot.

What's your take on that TRR? I thought he ran tight routes, had good hands, and next to Parker....was the fastest WR on the field. He did get held up in press coverage a time or two, but even the vets do.....and he's a rook.

The five practices I saw have me penciling him in as the best WR, potentially, that I've seen in Red 'n Gold in a long time....a long time.

TRR
08-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Seriously - his dad's name is like Alphonso and his mother's name is Crap or something very close to that. His parents aren't very bright - that much is pretty clear. What if Fumar and Kubanza decided to name their kid after themselves?

His Dad's name is Craig, and his middle name is Alphonso.

"I was a little more comfortable today, and I'll be even more comfortable tomorrow," vowed Thorpe, whose first name was the result of his father merging his two names, Craig and Alphonso, into one.

TRR
08-11-2005, 11:33 PM
What's your take on that TRR? I thought he ran tight routes, had good hands, and next to Parker....was the fastest WR on the field. He did get held up in press coverage a time or two, but even the vets do.....and he's a rook.

The five practices I saw have me penciling him in as the best WR, potentially, that I've seen in Red 'n Gold in a long time....a long time.

Cro has a lot of work to do to become one of the best WR's on KC's roster. Parker is a stud in the making, Boe has really looked good in practice coming off of injury, Hall is quicker than Cro', and Kennison is a proven WR coming off a 1,000 yard season. He'll have to be a special teams ace for awhile. You can't learn the KC offense in one TC.

Mr. Kotter
08-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Cro has a lot of work to do to become one of the best WR's on KC's roster. Parker is a stud in the making, Boe has really looked good in practice coming off of injury, Hall is quicker than Cro', and Kennison is a proven WR coming off a 1,000 yard season. He'll have to be a special teams ace for awhile. You can't learn the KC offense in one TC.

I'm certainly not thinking it will be this year, though he'll show flashes. However, I think Parker is the only one to rival him in terms of long term potential.

With Parker and Thorpe, the future of our WR corp could be a lot brighter than it has been in a long time, IMO.

KChiefs1
08-12-2005, 06:40 AM
With Parker and Thorpe, the future of our WR corp could be a lot brighter than it has been in a long time, IMO.

:clap:

donkhater
08-12-2005, 06:53 AM
You know what? If his dad doesn't like it, maybe he should have named him differently.

TRR
08-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Other impressions from Training Camp...

Greg Wesley: Looks like a natural free safety. He's always been a big hitter, but I believe the FS position will allow him to make more plays in the passing game as well. Wesley looks at home with Knight in the secondary. G-Wes and Knight are always together on the sidelines. Jerome Woods doesn't look like the player he used to be. Woods will most likely hold on to the backup FS spot, but he is still having trouble with the knee, and has missed a lot of practice time because of water on the knee.

Trent Green: TG looks like he is in a lot better shape this season. As a matter of fact, I've never seen Green in this type of shape in his KC career. Other than his platinum highlights, he looks like he's in his 20's. He has good zip on the ball, and seems to be pinpoint accurate in practice. There is definitely a noticeable dropoff when Todd Collins runs with the 1st team O.

Lawrence Tynes: Tynes has really struggled kicking the ball in training camp. He has good range, but his accuracy has really been off. Like DV has said, Tynes has missed at least one FG per practice (since I have been up here). All that matters is that he makes it in the game. His kickoffs have been better this TC than last, so that's a plus.

Kevin Sampson: Huge, physical player. He reminds me of Robert Gallery of Iowa (Oakland). Just a big, nasty, raw player. The main reason Sampson is getting the nod over Jordan Black is because of the way he can get out in the open field and pull. A lot more athletic than Black is. Sampson will struggle early in the passing game, but he has stoned Hicks, Wilkerson, and Allen (Allen in 1 on 1 drills) on multiple occasions. He'll really benefit from Shields when he gets back into football shape.

Will Shields: I have been very impressed with Shields ability to work on his own. I watched him work out for about 15 minutes the other day, and he looks good. I got a chance to talk to Shields the other day for a minute, and asked him how his back is feeling. Shields said, "it's feeling better every day. As I get into better shape, it will hopefully work itself out." I really don't think his back will force him to do anything drastic.

That's it for now...Off to the Mall of America.

ZootedGranny
08-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the report TRR, that type of stuff is the reason I come to this board.

I had wondered why they had somewhat handed the job to Sampson, because from everything I saw last season, Black seemed to do just fine. To think that Sampson is that much larger than Black, but can still get out and start rumbling sounds tremendous.