View Full Version : Strength Of Schedule

PRIEST
08-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Are the Colts a little low? :hmmm:
http://www.theredzone.org/strength.asp

Mile High Mania
08-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Strength of Schedule is so overrated.

What were the Chargers ranked going into 2004? How about the Cowboys?

Bottom line is that SOS at this point is meaningless. A 12 win team from last season can easily be a 7 win team now and vice versa.

Look at your Chiefs in 2004... their record is lowering a lot of SOS rankings going into 2005. Is that an accurate reflection of the KC team that everyone will face in 2005?

Valiant
08-11-2005, 10:26 PM
If i remember correctly... There is no real SOS formula anymore... Each division has a set number of teams to play... So there is no determining, who plays the tougher teams really...

Like you will 8 times agiant your opponents in division
4 agianst another conferance division
and the rest agiast the same conferance divison plus 2 more..

Something like basically, The AFC west will play all the same games except for two I believe...

Ultra Peanut
10-08-2005, 11:53 PM
THAT'S RACIST!

tk13
10-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Strength of Schedule is so overrated.

What were the Chargers ranked going into 2004? How about the Cowboys?

Bottom line is that SOS at this point is meaningless. A 12 win team from last season can easily be a 7 win team now and vice versa.

Look at your Chiefs in 2004... their record is lowering a lot of SOS rankings going into 2005. Is that an accurate reflection of the KC team that everyone will face in 2005?
It's overrated if you're trying to project it, but usually when you look back on it after a season it usually plays a role in who wins and who doesn't. If the Colts can run wild on this weak schedule they have and get homefield, maybe it'll help get them to the Super Bowl. We shall see. I think that's why a lot of people picked them to win this year, and it probably has some merit.

chappy
10-09-2005, 12:23 AM
It's overrated if you're trying to project it, but usually when you look back on it after a season it usually plays a role in who wins and who doesn't. If the Colts can run wild on this weak schedule they have and get homefield, maybe it'll help get them to the Super Bowl. We shall see. I think that's why a lot of people picked them to win this year, and it probably has some merit.

Oh yeah like in 2003 when SOS helped us so much.
i think if you play weak teams its gonna make your team weak...
and when a team comes along who has struggled all year with tough teams and got to the playoffs they will beat the soft teams with easy SOS.

NJ Chief Fan
10-09-2005, 12:23 AM
this isnt college football

tk13
10-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Oh yeah like in 2003 when SOS helped us so much.
i think if you play weak teams its gonna make your team weak...
and when a team comes along who has struggled all year with tough teams and got to the playoffs they will beat the soft teams with easy SOS.
Actually I believe the stats would bear that out differently. People complain about DV saying it but he really knows his stats and trends, and the stats back him up on that. Most playoff and Super Bowl winning teams in the salary cap era have weak schedules. Parity is so great that playing the weaker teams and only having to get up for 4-5 big games a year keeps a team confident and more fresh. That's the theory anyway.

Valiant
10-09-2005, 12:35 AM

They do not take into effect SoS formula anymore, every team in your division plays the exact same schedule except for few games... We are slated to play a certain division just like the rest of our division foes.. Same as indy, the rest of their division plays practically the same teams...

Indy agianst their division rivals...all games are the same except for:

INdy: NE, San D
Jack: NYJ, Denv
Tenn: Oak, Miami
Hous: Buff, KC

So I would not say they got out easy...

Valiant
10-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Actually I believe the stats would bear that out differently. People complain about DV saying it but he really knows his stats and trends, and the stats back him up on that. Most playoff and Super Bowl winning teams in the salary cap era have weak schedules. Parity is so great that playing the weaker teams and only having to get up for 4-5 big games a year keeps a team confident and more fresh. That's the theory anyway.

Generally when you beat teams they will have a overall worse record then you the majority of the time... ie, you get 13-15 wins, the records of the opponents will look poorer...

tk13
10-09-2005, 12:38 AM
They do not take into effect SoS formula anymore, every team in your division plays the exact same schedule except for few games... We are slated to play a certain division just like the rest of our division foes.. Same as indy, the rest of their division plays practically the same teams...

I know how the schedule works. The year to year rotation and all that. My point was that the rotation allowed the Colts a weak schedule this year, and usually that helps lead to a Super Bowl.

tk13
10-09-2005, 12:45 AM
Generally when you beat teams they will have a overall worse record then you the majority of the time... ie, you get 13-15 wins, the records of the opponents will look poorer...
Eh, to a point, but I'd say that's minimal. Baltimore beat the Steelers last year and Pittsburgh still went 15-1. Still gotta play 15 other games.

chappy
10-09-2005, 12:47 AM
tk13 i see your side but i thought we had one of the weaker sos in 2003?
also i don't understand why it always seems we have to play both super bowl contenders every year?

Ultra Peanut
10-09-2005, 12:58 AM
Wow.

tk13
10-09-2005, 01:33 AM
tk13 i see your side but i thought we had one of the weaker sos in 2003?
also i don't understand why it always seems we have to play both super bowl contenders every year?
Yeah we had a weaker SOS and we ended up getting a bye out of it. If we could defend our homefield we would've been in the AFC championship game. It put us two wins away.

NaptownChief
10-09-2005, 08:34 AM

Exactly...It is just a byproduct of these silly 4 team divisons. When they went to 8 divisions from 6 they garanteed that we would have a division or two every year that will have one good team getting 6 games a season against 3 bad teams. Look at the Bears, Pack, Vikes and Lions....all 4 suck. When you get 6 automatic layups there is only so much that can be done to toughen a schedule.

carlos3652
10-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Is there a reason the top 15 teams are from the AFC, ROFL... The Titans are the only team in the bottom half @ 21

Mr. Laz
10-09-2005, 05:10 PM
It's overrated if you're trying to project it, but usually when you look back on it after a season it usually plays a role in who wins and who doesn't
but which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

do the stronger/winning teams help create their "soft schedule" by beating the opposing teams or do the weak opponents give the team their winning record?

tk13
10-09-2005, 06:05 PM
but which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

do the stronger/winning teams help create their "soft schedule" by beating the opposing teams or do the weak opponents give the team their winning record?
We discussed that earlier. I mean really, if you beat a team, that's only 1/16th of their schedule. Pretty minimal. The Ravens beat the Steelers last year, and the Steelers won those 15 other games. I don't buy the "oh their schedule is weak because they actually win the games"... you go back through the past few years and most Super Bowl teams have weak schedules... the Pats have probably been one of the strongest-schedule winners in the salary cap era, that's just the last couple years though. Even that first Patriots team played a weak schedule, the 00 Ravens and 99 Rams played pathetic schedules, the Broncos two SB wins were with top 5-10 weakest schedules...