PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Chief?

luv
08-12-2005, 12:46 AM
This may have been done before, but, with the recent greatest Chief poll, I got to wondering who your FAVORITE Chief of all time is. Like I said, sorry if this has been done before. And I would do a poll, but I'd rather just hear your opinions.

Mine is Derrick Thomas.

If you want to tell why, that would be great, too. I just think this would be a good way for me to learn more about the Chiefs.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-12-2005, 12:56 AM
It's a good thing this isn't a poll, Scanlon would've owned.

WebGem
08-12-2005, 12:57 AM
Derrick Thomas is gonna be the answer from everybody, so I'll spice it up a litte. I'll go with James Hasty. Yes, James Hasty. He's actually my 2nd or 3rd favorite. When I was little I used to like DT, Neil Smith, and Hasty for some reason. I don't really remember why, but I remember that I did. That is the reason for the 5840. 584090 is too long and looks gay. As for current players, I'm sure there might be a few different answers there..Trent, Priest, Tony, Shields, etc. But, one player that I like probably a lot more than most fans is Eddie Kennison. I've never really had that big of a problem with him. Yeah, he's dropped some big passes, but I still think he's helpful in that offense.

WebGem
08-12-2005, 12:57 AM
It's a good thing this isn't a poll, Scanlon would've owned.
Oh yeah, I forgot about him. He might be the only one with a chance to beat DT.

stumppy
08-12-2005, 12:58 AM
One of my favorites is Marcus Allen. Not only because of how good he was but he also told Al Davis to basically cram it up his butthole when he went into the HOF.

tk13
08-12-2005, 01:07 AM
I'm not sure if I've ever had a favorite Chief. I've always just rooted for the team, never had any real favorite players. Over the years, I've had a Montana, Grbac, Gonzalez, and Dante Hall jersey, but I don't know if I'd say I had a "favorite" player.

Actually, I think Derrick Johnson might have a chance. Simply because I followed him in college, he caught my attention and I'd specifically tune in to watch Texas play just to see him, and I'd think "man wouldn't it be awesome if we could get a player like that".... only, we actually got him...haha. So who knows.

luv
08-12-2005, 01:11 AM
Over the years, I've had a Montana, Grbac, Gonzalez, and Dante Hall jersey, but I don't know if I'd say I had a "favorite" player.
I will always see Montana as a 49er.

J Diddy
08-12-2005, 01:13 AM

You must have missed that game in denver.

That would have changed your mind.

tk13
08-12-2005, 01:13 AM
He may be, but he sure did help take this team closer to the Super Bowl than anybody else has in 30 years. Plus that MNF game in Mile High where he owned Elway. I could watch that game over and over again.

WebGem
08-12-2005, 01:14 AM
I'm not sure if I've ever had a favorite Chief. I've always just rooted for the team, never had any real favorite players. Over the years, I've had a Montana, Grbac, Gonzalez, and Dante Hall jersey, but I don't know if I'd say I had a "favorite" player.

Actually, I think Derrick Johnson might have a chance. Simply because I followed him in college, he caught my attention and I'd specifically tune in to watch Texas play just to see him, and I'd think "man wouldn't it be awesome if we could get a player like that".... only, we actually got him...haha. So who knows.
Trying to jinx DJ, eh? How dare you?

J Diddy
08-12-2005, 01:15 AM
He may be, but he sure did help take this team closer to the Super Bowl than anybody else has in 30 years. Plus that MNF game in Mile High where he owned Elway. I could watch that game over and over again.

Ocassionally I masturbate to that game.

WebGem
08-12-2005, 01:17 AM
Ocassionally I masturbate to that game.
I like the Dante owning Denver runback more when it comes to that.

J Diddy
08-12-2005, 01:18 AM

That's only when I'm feeling frisky.

tk13
08-12-2005, 01:29 AM
That's a tough call, real tough call. I think I'd give the edge to the MNF game because it was a national TV game first of all. You had maybe the two greatest QB's ever.... and all the action happened at the end of the game, where Dante's return happened with a few minutes left. The MNF game went back and forth, tied at the end of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarter... then the unnamed kicker missed a gimme, made up for it by hitting one late in the game, Broncos fumble, looked like we had the game put away, Marcus fumbled, Denver marched down, high drama with a TD getting overturned by the refs... then Denver comes right back and scores despite having only 10 guys on the field.... then after all that insanity, Montana marching down all the way down the field methodically in just over a minute, finishing them off with just seconds left.

Demonpenz
08-12-2005, 01:44 AM
joe was way better than other hofers switching teams
unitis and mays.

I like derron cherry alot. I would be running around the horse shoe pits when i was eight and i can still hear the radio on in the background cherry picks off his 4th of the day!

Demonpenz
08-12-2005, 01:47 AM

man i watched dj alot during his texas career his flow to the ball and his pursuit and his big play ability is just awesome.

Tribal Warfare
08-12-2005, 01:58 AM
One of my favorites is Marcus Allen. Not only because of how good he was but he also told Al Davis to basically cram it up his butthole when he went into the HOF.

:clap:

Marcus, Greg Munusky, DT, Dan Saleamua,Holmes, and last but not least Will Shields.

Marcus,Priest,Shields, and DT are evident. I selected Saleamua ,and Manusky for their grit and determination to get their specific duty correctly established.

Rausch
08-12-2005, 02:56 AM
Christian Okoye, with DT close behind...

Favorie current Chief is Shields.

DeepSouth
08-12-2005, 06:53 AM
Eddie Podolak

His play in the longest game in history holds a place in my heart;

http://www.miamidolphins.com/pressbox/pressreleases/pressreleases.asp?contentID=2253

"The main thing is the disappointment," said Podolak, who played the game of his career in amassing 350 all-purpose yards (85 rushing, 110 receiving, and 155 on kick returns). "Because my life has gone on, the sting from losing is obviously not as acute as it was during the time I was still playing, but it was very difficult to get over during the years I was playing.

Skip Towne
08-12-2005, 07:15 AM
EJ Holub. He was such a good player they wouldn't let him go when his knees went out. They moved him to center and he kept playing. I've never heard of anything like that before or since.

Otter
08-12-2005, 07:19 AM
Joe Montana

Sure he came to the good guys in the twilight of his career and he'll always be a 49er when all is said and done but I loved his confident yet, calm and low key leadership.

It was a wet dream to see a QB of his caliber playing for the Chiefs. Up until Green, DeBerg may be an exception, all we had was a bunch of weanies and losers.

Honerable Mention:

DT
Gonzo
Hasty
Priest
Shields
Ted Popson....

I think a shorter list wouldl be Chiefs I've hated.

Nzoner
08-12-2005, 07:20 AM
That's a tough call, real tough call. I think I'd give the edge to the MNF game because it was a national TV game first of all. You had maybe the two greatest QB's ever.... and all the action happened at the end of the game, where Dante's return happened with a few minutes left. The MNF game went back and forth, tied at the end of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarter... then the unnamed kicker missed a gimme, made up for it by hitting one late in the game, Broncos fumble, looked like we had the game put away, Marcus fumbled, Denver marched down, high drama with a TD getting overturned by the refs... then Denver comes right back and scores despite having only 10 guys on the field.... then after all that insanity, Montana marching down all the way down the field methodically in just over a minute, finishing them off with just seconds left.

I love Dierdorf's comment at the end,"Lord,you can take me now,I've seen it all."

Otter
08-12-2005, 07:30 AM

If anybody has that game on DVD I'm willing to make it worth your while to make a copy for me.

:drool:

Hammock Parties
08-12-2005, 07:40 AM
I just think this would be a good way for me to learn more about the Chiefs.

You have done well, my young apprentice. Chiefs4me will be no match for you.

http://www.artapprentice.net/memories/pics/tpm/sidious/tpmsidious.jpg

Electric
08-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Ed Podolak, #14

Ed was one of the best ever all around player in the NFL, let alone the Chiefs. There was more desire and show in that one guy than I've seen since.

RealSNR
08-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Len Dawson.

My dad being a urologist has gotten to really know the guy by asking him to speak at various prostate cancer conventions. He has gratiously accepted and as a result, I've really gotten to know the guy.

Plus the fact that he was a big part of the Chiefs SB season makes me like him even more.

ptlyon
08-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Derron Cherry.

Not sure exactly why.

Chief Faithful
08-12-2005, 08:38 AM
My favorite started as Buck Bucannon, then Willie Lanier, then Gary Barbaro, then Bill Kenney, then Kevin Ross, but now I've settled on Len Dawson because he means more to KC than just a former QB..

ROYC75
08-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by tk13

If anybody has that game on DVD I'm willing to make it worth your while to make a copy for me.

I agree........ I would like to have a slice of that pie as well ! :)

Nzoner
08-12-2005, 09:18 AM

We watched it at last years 37 Forever party here,I have it on vhs still.

pikesome
08-12-2005, 11:03 AM
DT is the easy answer but I have fond memories of watching Word and Okoye back in the day. They are some of the earliest players I remember watching. I also liked Spiderman (Rison). I can real tell you why, it makes no sense to me either.

Electric
08-12-2005, 11:06 AM
We watched it at last years 37 Forever party here,I have it on vhs still.

Buy a VCR to DVD machine and liquidate the costs by selling the DVD's to your friends (not to make a profit, but to recoup the cost of the machine to make the dupes!!).

It might be illegal, but what the heck...right?

shakesthecat
08-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Buy a VCR to DVD machine and liquidate the costs by selling the DVD's to your friends (not to make a profit, but to recoup the cost of the machine to make the dupes!!).

It might be illegal, but what the heck...right?

Outstanding!
And you have the nerve to question others integrity.

What a phony.

Electric
08-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Outstanding!
And you have the nerve to question others integrity.

What a phony.

Not too bright are you?

Do I need to edit in the (tic) so it doesn't go over your head?

What a noob!!!

shakesthecat
08-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Not too bright are you?

What a noob!!!

ROFL
Well I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

At least I know the meaning of the term noob.
2000, ass clown.

Electric
08-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Well I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

At least I know the meaning of the term noob.
2000, ass clown.

There is a reason that you didn't stay at the Holiday Inn Express, you have to have a few items in your bag to check in. It seems as if your bag of stuff has been left under the park bench!!

I'm well award of the term noob.

I refer to your ability to show that you must have just gotten off the turnip truck.

Name calling, now that really identifies you as a mature adult doesn't it?

Rain Man
08-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Not too bright are you?

What a noob!!!

You get a facial tic when you're stealing something?

ct
08-12-2005, 11:29 AM
DT

ct
08-12-2005, 11:33 AM

The game I want is the season opener vs. Oakland, not sure exactly what season. He had 6 sacks, including a safety, against the great Jeff George.

I was outa town, and had our recorder set. I watched the game at a sports bar in some little town in W. Oklahoma (don't ask). This place closes at 8PM, but my wife and I were still spending $, had on our Chiefs gear, and the owner told us 'No way I'm asking you to leave, we'll stay open till the game's over.' Ended up giving us a couple free appetizers late in the game. Very cool guy!

So we get home ready to watch the game all over, and we had thunderstorms over the weekend, knocked out power briefly, and lost the program on the VCR. Still ticks me off to this day. I would LOVE to get my hands on that game tape!

luv
08-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all of the replies so far. Enjoyable. I'm sorry to say I have not seen this Denver game with Montana you all are drooling over. Maybe I'd see Montana in a different light if I saw it?

KC Dan
08-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all of the replies so far. Enjoyable. I'm sorry to say I have not seen this Denver game with Montana you all are drooling over. Maybe I'd see Montana in a different light if I saw it?If you want to become a "real" Chiefs fan, you will watch that game. True classic!

oh, and be a season ticket holder

luv
08-12-2005, 11:39 AM
If you want to become a "real" Chiefs fan, you will watch that game. True classic!

oh, and be a season ticket holder
So what if I don't have the money to be a season ticket holder? Am I less of a fan?

Rain Man
08-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Otis Taylor was a one-man highlight reel, and was my first hero.

Deron Cherry was what I envisioned myself as when I was in high school - not the best athlete on the field, but a smart, ball-hawking player who was always in position to make a play.

I must say, though, that Albert Lewis on special teams brought the biggest grin to my face ever. You'd see the ball snap on a punt, and in a split second you'd see Lewis flying around that corner and laying out, and as you blurted out, "HE'S GOT IT!", you heard a thump and then chaos would ensue.

KC Dan
08-12-2005, 11:42 AM
So what if I don't have the money to be a season ticket holder? Am I less of a fan?
j/k, I am only repeating what King Carl says.

Rain Man
08-12-2005, 11:43 AM

Yes.

I'm sorry, but that's the Chiefs' policy, according to Carl.

luv
08-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Yes.

I'm sorry, but that's the Chiefs' policy, according to Carl.
:deevee:

luv
08-12-2005, 11:54 AM
j/k, I am only repeating what King Carl says.
It's all good. I thought you were ribbing me. I was just gonna go along.

I may sound like a total n00b here, but who is Carl?

KC Dan
08-12-2005, 11:56 AM
It's all good. I thought you were ribbing me. I was just gonna go along.

You're kidding right???

Maybe Rainman will help you out. I know that Endelt would!

Rain Man
08-12-2005, 11:56 AM

(Stunned silence.)

(Mouth agape.)

luv
08-12-2005, 11:59 AM
(Stunned silence.)

(Mouth agape.)
LOL...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Rub it in. I'm still getting first names straight on here.

C'mon. Gimme a break. Pleeeeeease? :bats eyes:

KC Dan
08-12-2005, 12:00 PM
LOL...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Rub it in. I'm still getting first names straight on here.

C'mon. Gimme a break. Pleeeeeease? :bats eyes:
Always a sucker for the batted eyes,

President, GM, UCLA, DV's buddy, etc.... Got it now?

luv
08-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Always a sucker for the batted eyes,

President, GM, UCLA, DV's buddy, etc.... Got it now?
Ohhhhhhh, okay. I was thinking you were referring to someone on here.

(Trying not to feel like a total dunce.) :)

Thanks.

KC Dan
08-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Ohhhhhhh, okay. I was thinking you were referring to someone on here.

(Trying not to feel like a total dunce.) :)

Thanks.
Are you a blonde? ROFL

luv
08-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Are you a blonde? ROFL
No, just ignorant to some things. At least I'm trying to take the initiative to learn. Definitely NOT blonde.

KC Dan
08-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Just to see if I'm thinking correctly (will probably look like an idiot again knowing me), is this Carl? Took this pic at the one and only game I've been to.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the smile!

Electric
08-12-2005, 12:24 PM
You get a facial tic when you're stealing something?

Is that the voice of experience?

luv
08-12-2005, 12:25 PM
I think I'll stop now before digging myself in deeper. I made you laugh at me and made you think I'm a blonde. What a Friday.

Electric
08-12-2005, 12:26 PM
I think I'll stop now before digging myself in deeper. I made you laugh at me and made you think I'm a blonde. What a Friday.

You're not a blonde?

KC Dan
08-12-2005, 12:27 PM
No, not laugh at you - laugh with you. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Rain Man
Is that the voice of experience?

No. Rain Man. Look over to the left and you can see who's writing.

Rain Man
Hey, luv2rite deleted her photo of Carl.

HC_Chief
08-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Steve DeBerg.

Greatest playfake in NFL history.

Busted, mangled, pin-sitcking-out-of-the-pinky-finger, but still played and had an INSANE TD/INT ratio? That dude was awesome. He had the guts and the drive.

Favorite currents = Shields, Richardson, and Green. All three of them are excellent people, as well as excellent football players. Priest and Dante are also great guys.

KC Dan
08-12-2005, 12:30 PM
killjoy

luv
08-12-2005, 12:33 PM
It obviously wasn't him. I don't like looking like an idiot (if I can help it anyway), so I deleted the post.

And NO. I AM NOT BLONDE.

DeepSouth
08-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Not less of a Chiefs fan. But, it's obvious you need a SugarDaddy.

luv
08-12-2005, 12:39 PM
I started this thread to show gochiefs that I could. He's always ribbing me about not talking football. I guess he was right, I can't. Maybe I should go bake something and leave the football talk to the guys.

KC Dan
08-12-2005, 12:41 PM
I started this thread to show gochiefs that I could. He's always ribbing me about not talking football. I guess he was right, I can't. Maybe I should go bake something and leave the football talk to the guys.
Nobody here listens to gochiefs, why should you start?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-12-2005, 12:41 PM
I've never really had a favorite player, either. I've just always rooted for the whole team. My favorite player, Chief of not, was Montana (like fraz). I was exstatic when we traded for him. I couldn't believe my favorite player was joining my favorite team. If there is a player that comes close to being my "favorite", it would be Green though. If every player we had were like him, Priest, Gonzo, Surtain, we'd be in great shape.

Overall, though, I just root for the whole team.

Rain Man
08-12-2005, 12:42 PM

Can I have some pie?

luv
08-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Nobody here listens to gochiefs, why should you start?
True, if I didn't, I never would have gotten myself in over my head. Lesson learned.

Current favorite player: Holmes. I thought about Dante for that. He can really run. But Holmes can make his way through the defense to get where he needs to go, not just outrun them.

luv
08-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Can I have some pie?
Stand in line buddy. Stummpy has been asking me for a few days now. He's got dibbs.

Electric
No. Rain Man. Look over to the left and you can see who's writing.

I see a homeless stickboy. Try begging at the Holdiay Inn Express, it couldn't hurt.

Chiefs Pantalones
I haven't had chocolate chip cookies in a long time.

KC Dan
08-12-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure if I have a current favorite player. That said, I get most excited in Arrowhead when Dante drops to receive a kick. So he might be my pick. Of course, I would get in trouble with the Fujita's in my family if I didn't say Scott Fujita.

All-time favorite Chief: DT #58

luv
08-12-2005, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure if I have a current favorite player. That said, I get most excited in Arrowhead when Dante drops to receive a kick. So he might be my pick. Of course, I would get in trouble with the Fujita's in my family if I didn't say Scott Fujita.

All-time favorite Chief: DT #58
I can relate to holding my breath until Dante catches the ball and starts running.

Derrick Thomas seems to be a lot of people's all time favorite. With so many greats or those who showed a lot of heart on the field, I wonder what makes DT stand out?

Otter
08-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all of the replies so far. Enjoyable. I'm sorry to say I have not seen this Denver game with Montana you all are drooling over. Maybe I'd see Montana in a different light if I saw it?

It would be like seeing GoChiefs beat up a bully for picking on nerd then winning over the ladys hearts followed by saying somthing intellegent then walking away a winner instead of shitting all over himself again.

If I get you a copy of the game I'll let you know. Yes, it's that good.

luv
08-12-2005, 12:52 PM
It would be like seeing GoChiefs beat up a bully for picking on nerd then winning over the ladys hearts followed by saying somthing intellegent then walking away a winner instead of shitting all over himself again.

If I get you a copy of the game I'll let you know. Yes, it's that good.
Wow, nice analogy.

HemiEd
08-12-2005, 12:53 PM
DT, my Boss tells me I was almost crying when I went in and told her about his death.

Second would be Bill Kenney, he was a "diamond in a goats ass" at the time.

Rain Man
08-12-2005, 12:54 PM
I see a homeless stickboy. Try begging at the Holdiay Inn Express, it couldn't hurt.

Will post for food.

KC Dan
08-12-2005, 12:54 PM
I can relate to holding my breath until Dante catches the ball and starts running.

Derrick Thomas seems to be a lot of people's all time favorite. With so many greats or those who showed a lot of heart on the field, I wonder what makes DT stand out?
Get some old game tapes of his performances and you will know. He called safeties before they happened, he hammered Elway into the ground like he was a fence post, he stripped the ball from QB's as he sacked them like they had a brifecase with a million dollars in it. He would take a game over by himself. That is why he stood out.

luv
08-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Will post for food.
No pity. You're sill second in line for pie. First come, first served. Stummpy was first. I might suggest asking for cake. Don't have a lot of experience with pies. Crusts scare me.

(This could sooooooo be taken the wrong way) :)

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Favorite ever... Stephone Paige
Favorite current... Priest Holmes

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Derrick Thomas is gonna be the answer from everybody
No.

ptlyon
08-12-2005, 01:13 PM
No doubt - I hate pie with crust.

Or should I crusty pie?

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-12-2005, 01:15 PM
What? Montana played for the 49ers?

:banghead:

DeepSouth
08-12-2005, 01:27 PM
I wonder what makes DT stand out?
Could it be that he had more illegitimate children than anyone else. Maybe many of these people were related to him?

ptlyon
08-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Could it be that he had more illegitimate children than anyone else. Maybe many of these people were related to him?

You mean I'm going to stay this color?!?

Nightfyre
08-12-2005, 01:32 PM
My favorites are:
1. Trent Green. Hands down, best team player on this team. He takes pay cuts and the heat for things not his fault. He gives back to the community and heavily. He isnt a half bad player either :p
2. Brian Waters Classy guy, I hope we keep him. If King Carl's bullshit leads him away, I will throw CP into my pit of eternal damnation.
3. Derrick Thomas. I cried the day he died. Then again, I was young, and he was my hero at the time.

Cormac
08-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Ever: DT
Current: T-Rich

Nightfyre
08-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Current: T-Rich
Now I feel bad.

Cormac
08-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Now I feel bad.

?

Nightfyre
08-12-2005, 02:31 PM
I didnt have Trich on my list. he would be a number 3 over DT.

Cormac
08-12-2005, 02:34 PM
I didnt have Trich on my list. he would be a number 3 over DT.
Hard to pass over DT, but T-Rich rules :thumb:

Nightfyre
08-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Hard to pass over DT, but T-Rich rules :thumb:
I love the team players, especially ones that are the best at what they do.

Fat Elvis
08-12-2005, 02:37 PM
If he is the player that everyone seems to think he is, I will go out on a limb and say Derrick Johnson. At least I haven't been this excited about a football player in a long, long time.

chiefs4me
08-12-2005, 09:15 PM
(Stunned silence.)

(Mouth agape.)

I don't think anybody has anything to say to me after this....ROFL

Did ya tell her who carl was?:hmmm:

milkman
08-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Willie Lanier.

He was, hands down, the hardest hitting LB in Chiefs history.

Electric
08-13-2005, 05:52 AM
My favorites are:
1. Trent Green. Hands down, best team player on this team. He takes pay cuts and the heat for things not his fault. He gives back to the community and heavily. He isnt a half bad player either :p
2. Brian Waters Classy guy, I hope we keep him. If King Carl's bullshit leads him away, I will throw CP into my pit of eternal damnation.
3. Derrick Thomas. I cried the day he died. Then again, I was young, and he was my hero at the time.

First let me say that DT was a very good player in my book.

It was a very sad day when he did not use common sense and wear a seatbelt when he was speeding on an icy road. That lapse in judgement or outright decision not to follow the law cost him dearly.

The hero status he has on the field should be tempered with the fact that he was not the best in all factes of the game, his run coverage was less than great.

His off field activities were also something that should "lower" his exhaulted position in the community. He used poor judgement in the friends he chose to surround himself with. Like many pro players he was taken advantage of by his "friends". There were documented times when he discovered theft of his things and money, he wrote it off to a friend needing it more than him.

He fathered way too many children out of wedlock, which might not be an offense to use to cruicify him, but a combination of a few kids that may or maynot have been taken care of during his life was amplified after his death when his estate had to be auctioned of to come up with enough money to provide for "some" of his kids. Others got nothing. His family basically was left without.

Like I said, DT was a very good football player, but his overall life makes me doubt the "hero" title so many has placed on him.

JOhn
08-13-2005, 05:56 AM
First let me say that DT was a very good player in my book.

It was a very sad day when he did not use common sense and wear a seatbelt when he was speeding on an icy road. That lapse in judgement or outright decision not to follow the law cost him dearly.

The hero status he has on the field should be tempered with the fact that he was not the best in all factes of the game, his run coverage was less than great.

His off field activities were also something that should "lower" his exhaulted position in the community. He used poor judgement in the friends he chose to surround himself with. Like many pro players he was taken advantage of by his "friends". There were documented times when he discovered theft of his things and money, he wrote it off to a friend needing it more than him.

He fathered way too many children out of wedlock, which might not be an offense to use to cruicify him, but a combination of a few kids that may or maynot have been taken care of during his life was amplified after his death when his estate had to be auctioned of to come up with enough money to provide for "some" of his kids. Others got nothing. His family basically was left without.

Like I said, DT was a very good football player, but his overall life makes me doubt the "hero" title so many has placed on him.

Well if you are going to inventory his life, then lets not forget all his off field charity work he did. He was a tremendous asset to the community and provided thousands if not millions of dollars to those less fortunate than himself, which IMHO should count for something. :thumb:

tomahawk kid
08-13-2005, 07:53 AM
My favorite Chiefs player growing up was always Dan Saleamua. DT was a close second, but ol' Manu Manu the Slender was always my man.

I've still got a replica #97 jersey in my basement somewhere.

Electric
08-13-2005, 08:05 AM
Well if you are going to inventory his life, then lets not forget all his off field charity work he did. He was a tremendous asset to the community and provided thousands if not millions of dollars to those less fortunate than himself, which IMHO should count for something. :thumb:

I don't want to make you think that I'm slamming him, he just wasn't the poster boy for the hero image.

FloridaChief
08-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Bobby Bell. Thank you very much.

OPChief
08-13-2005, 08:30 AM
Very hard call. Unfortunately, I wasn't around to see Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier, Buch Buchannan, etc., or I may have a different choice. My favs include Deron Cherry, Tony Richardson, Will Shields... But I'm gonna have to go with Joe Delaney. It seems like just yesterday when I was emulating him in my parents' front yard. I'd pretend that a stick or something was the front pylon, and I was Delaney racing around the end on a sweep. Over and over and over again.
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/kc/JdelaneyKC.jpg