PDA

View Full Version : Ozzfest Review

BIG_DADDY
08-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Will let you know on Monday. Just scored dead center stage VIP box seats with VIP parking pass, VIP Bar and backstage pass with a free dinner. My ears are going to ringing for days. :)

ChiefsOne
08-12-2005, 04:15 PM
That sounds cool. Sabbath should be good to see, Rob Zombie is awesome, Maiden if they still have it together are great in concert, I would like to see Velvet Revolver.

Alot of the thrash metal on stage too should suck!

ChiefFripp
08-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Iron Maiden Ozzfest Reviews:

Pittsburgh Daily News – “The night belonged to Iron Maiden, and the crowd treated them like royalty, easily giving them the most raucous reaction of any of the bands assembled. Dickinson and Maiden put the younger bands on the show to shame, and Dickinson was almost giddy as he led the masses in singalongs of classics such as opener ‘Wrathchild’, ‘The Trooper’ and ‘Run To The Hills.’“

New York Times - 'Spry and mischievous as ever (he delivered a tirade against MTV and reality shows, which is mischievous only if you're about to cede the stage to Mr. Osbourne), Dickinson sounded and looked like a man leading his troops into battle, although under a foreign flag: he waved a huge Union Jack.'

Hollywood Reporter - 'Maiden held the second slot to Sabbath and in 70 minutes walked away with the whole show... Iron Maiden is the standout on this tour and - to paraphrase Dickinson - rocks ‘like a bastard!’'.

Chicago Tribune - 'Dickinson's soaring battle-cries held the near-capacity crowd spellbound while his high-energy performance made many of the festival's acts look lazy and tired.'

Boston Globe – “The band that stole the show yesterday was Iron Maiden, with Dickinson… climbing stairs to ramps at either side, from which he exhorted the crowd into a horn-saluting frenzy with such songs as '’Wrathchild’ and ‘Run To The Hills,’ aided by a triple-guitar attack and inflatable beast with neon blue eyes, and changing rear curtains that made their set feel like a Broadway play.”
The Freelance Star, Virginia – “Iron Maiden deserves every accolade thrown its way over many years of hard-rock excess… After decades of domination, Iron Maiden showed that well-structured songs, vocal brilliance and unabashed rock 'n' roll showmanship are a bloody good combination… This night belonged to Maiden.”
Indianaopolis Star – “Bassist and primary songwriter Steve Harris… believes in speed and melody, traits that defined Sunday’s renditions of ‘The Trooper’ and ‘Run To The Hills’ [while] Bruce Dickinson provided the right amount of theatrics to ‘Phantom Of The Opera’ and ‘Number Of The Beast’… Iron Maiden saved the day”
Hartford Courant – “Coming second to last on a 20-act, 14-hour bill, Iron Maiden negated all of the 18 previous performances with a 60-minute set of bombastic metal. The English band's songs featured actual riffs, sweeping vocal melodies and gobs of frantic guitar solos, and the musicians - particularly singer Bruce Dickinson - displayed a charisma not seen among the other bands.” ews, Maiden steal the show every night.

ZepSinger
08-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Will let you know on Monday. Just scored dead center stage VIP box seats with VIP parking pass, VIP Bar and backstage pass with a free dinner. My ears are going to ringing for days. :)

Man, wish I was gonna be with ya, buddy... :rockon:

BIG_DADDY
08-12-2005, 04:21 PM
That sounds cool. Sabbath should be good to see, Rob Zombie is awesome, Maiden if they still have it together are great in concert, I would like to see Velvet Revolver.

Alot of the thrash metal on stage too should suck!

Black Label Society rocks. I just got their new CD Mafia and liked it. I am trying to remember but I thought I liked Medvane the last time I saw them too.

Dremel
08-12-2005, 04:32 PM
BD You going to Shoreline Ampetheater???

BIG_DADDY
08-12-2005, 04:43 PM
BD You going to Shoreline Ampetheater???

Yes

BIG_DADDY
08-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Dremel,

There may be an extra ticket. I'll smoke you my cell which I will have in 15 minutes if your interested.

Braincase
08-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Man, wish I was gonna be with ya, buddy... :rockon:

No doubt. Sushi, sake and bleeding eardrums... sounds like a great weekend. :banghead:

Deberg_1990
08-12-2005, 05:31 PM
How in the world does Ozzy make it through entire set let alone an entire tour?? Dude looks like he can barely walk across his living room.

ChiefFripp
08-12-2005, 05:58 PM
How in the world does Ozzy make it through entire set let alone an entire tour?? Dude looks like he can barely walk across his living room.

The thing is, he doesn't make it. Black Sabbath has had to cancel alot of shows because he has had health issues. Maiden have basically headlined alot of shows.

ChiefFripp
08-16-2005, 12:06 AM
How did it go?

Pitt Gorilla
08-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Black Label Society rocks. I just got their new CD Mafia and liked it. I am trying to remember but I thought I liked Medvane the last time I saw them too.
Mudvayne owns. I wish I could see the show...

Swanman
08-16-2005, 07:01 AM
I saw Ozzfest in Chicago a couple weeks ago and it was a pretty good show. The highlights on the second stage were Killswitch Engage and Zombie. On the main stage, Mudvayne put on a great high energy set and was the first band on the main to really get the crowd going (crowd was dead during In Flames, BLS and Shadows Fall). Iron Maiden was great as expected and Black Sabbath had to play an abbreviated set due to Ozzy's illness.

With that said, I saw Gigantour last Friday and enjoyed that show a lot more. I loved seeing the trio of Fear Factory, Dream Theater, and Megadeth on the same bill because they are 3 of my favorite bands.

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2005, 05:57 PM
How did it go?

Velvet Revolver - Didn't show, pissed me off.

Mudvane was really quite good, I remembered correctly. I may have to pick up a CD.

Black Label Society rocked as usual. I like the new CD and the show really was awesome. Zakk Wylde is simply unbelievable doing vocals and lead.

Maiden was Maiden, very good show. I have to admit with all the hype about this show at Ozzfest I was expecting something over the top but they were very good. If I was critical of one area it would be that Bruce Dickinson wouldn't STFU about going off on corporate America. You don't like a capitalistic society when your making a fortune in it then get the **** out. I am critical too but I would never think of going on and on and on about it when I was trying to entertain people.

Black Sabbath - The best I have seen Ozzy look in 4 years at least. He isn't shaking anymore and Tony Iommi did great. The band was tight and they were better than what I was expecting.

Reaper16
08-17-2005, 05:19 AM
I saw Ozzfest in Chicago a couple weeks ago and it was a pretty good show. The highlights on the second stage were Killswitch Engage and Zombie. On the main stage, Mudvayne put on a great high energy set and was the first band on the main to really get the crowd going (crowd was dead during In Flames, BLS and Shadows Fall). Iron Maiden was great as expected and Black Sabbath had to play an abbreviated set due to Ozzy's illness.

With that said, I saw Gigantour last Friday and enjoyed that show a lot more. I loved seeing the trio of Fear Factory, Dream Theater, and Megadeth on the same bill because they are 3 of my favorite bands.

I wish Gigantour would have come to KC. Symphony X!!!!! Nevermore!!!!!!

Swanman
08-17-2005, 06:51 AM
I wish Gigantour would have come to KC. Symphony X!!!!! Nevermore!!!!!!

Hopefully the tour will be successful enough this year to justify another one next year. I know some dates on the west coast had really low turnouts but the show in Chicago drew 10,000-15,000 people. It was really cool to see so many different types of hard rock/metal on the same bill (speed metal, progressive, industrial, etc.).

I caught a few songs of Symphony X and they sounded really good, their guitarist could really shred. Nevermore played right at the beginning and sounded good as well. The crowd really didn't get into it until Fear Factory hit the stage and played an amazing 45-minute set. Dream Theater and Megadeth both had the crowd eating out of their hands during the respective 90-minute sets.

BIG_DADDY
08-17-2005, 10:20 AM

Wow they didn't even come to the bay area. Sacramento was the closest. I wasn't even aware they were here. Oh well, looks pretty good too. I always wanted to see Dream Theater.