PDA

View Full Version : When the defense gets it's ass kicked on opening day

Red Dawg
08-12-2005, 09:25 PM
I'll say they suck. But untill then they will not be completely cut loose by Gun to destory. The projected starters that did play did not look wonderful, I'll admit, far too many big gainers but it's only game one

The season is all that matters.

kcjayhawks5
08-12-2005, 09:40 PM
I'll say they suck. But untill then they will not be completely cut loose by Gun to destory. The projected starters that did play did not look wonderful, I'll admit, far too many big gainers but it's only game one

The season is all that matters.

I agree 100%, but I must say that now that I have seen the team play at full force I can't help but be a little concerned. There were a lot of blown assignments but hey its the first time they have played at full force. So, with that being said I hope they are a little more impressive next Saturday.

Red Dawg
08-12-2005, 09:45 PM
I agree 100%, but I must say that now that I have seen the team play at full force I can't help but be a little concerned. There were a lot of blown assignments but hey its the first time they have played at full force. So, with that being said I hope they are a little more impressive next Saturday.

They should be alot better the next game. I thought they looked tired. DV runs maybe the toughest camp in the league. Two a days for three weeks wore them down a little. They will be alot fresher next game.

Nobody will convince me that the talent they've added will not make a difference until I see it in the regular season.

KS Smitty
08-12-2005, 09:51 PM
They should be alot better the next game. I thought they looked tired. DV runs maybe the toughest camp in the league. Two a days for three weeks wore them down a little. They will be alot fresher next game.

Nobody will convince me that the talent they've added will not make a difference until I see it in the regular season.

Yet Jaycee (et al) re-iterated time and again that this was the first time the [entire] team was allowed to play in full uniform and full force.

I am hoping that what we saw in the first pre-season game will not necessarily be a precursor to the upsoming season.

petegz28
08-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Just to remind everyone in 1997 preseason the Arizona Cardinals kicked our ass up and down the field.

Chew on that.

Alphaman
08-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Yet Jaycee (et al) re-iterated time and again that this was the first time the [entire] team was allowed to play in full uniform and full force.

I am hoping that what we saw in the first pre-season game will not necessarily be a precursor to the upsoming season.

Also, don't forget that Minnesota has one of the top 5 offenses in the league. That's a tough assignment for a rebuilt defenses first time out.

jspchief
08-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Also, don't forget that Minnesota has one of the top 5 offenses in the league. That's a tough assignment for a rebuilt defenses first time out.And Culpepper was spot on tonight.

I'm not trying to excuse their play, but it was trial by fire.

Logical
08-12-2005, 11:13 PM

The season is all that matters.Not to be a naysayer, but I heard this last year. I agree it is too early to be discouraged but I see nothing positive at this point either. Not making lemonade out of piss.

Logical
08-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Just to remind everyone in 1997 preseason the Arizona Cardinals kicked our ass up and down the field.

Chew on that.So the idea is to say inane meaningless crap on as many threads as possible. Is that why you keep repeating this statement?

shaneo69
08-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Not to be a naysayer, but I heard this last year. I agree it is too early to be discouraged but I see nothing positive at this point either. Not making lemonade out of piss.

IIRC, Ron Dayne ran for about 200 yards against us last pre-season, yet many planeteers at that time weren't worried, because it was "just pre-season."

tk13
08-12-2005, 11:24 PM
IIRC, Ron Dayne ran for about 200 yards against us last pre-season, yet many planeteers at that time weren't worried, because it was "just pre-season."
Hey man, everybody was right. Dayne didn't do crap in the regular season.

:)

petegz28
08-12-2005, 11:25 PM
So the idea is to say inane meaningless crap on as many threads as possible. Is that why you keep repeating this statement?

Yeah whatever. I guess many forget during the real season we had one of the best defenses in the league that year but everyone was crying about us in the preseason.

Ninjaman
08-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Preseason games suck because you can look real good and win all these meaningless games and still not win a game in the regular season.

Example Bears. They win all of theirs.

shaneo69
08-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Yeah whatever. I guess many forget during the real season we had one of the best defenses in the league that year but everyone was crying about us in the preseason.

Maybe you're forgetting that after we sucked in the pre-season that year, the King went out and made two big acquisitions. First, they dumped Trezelle Jenkins after he started the regular season opener and signed Glenn Parker to take his place. Then they traded for Wayne Simmons and put Terry Wooden on the bench.

At least Marty wasn't afraid to replace someone if he saw that they sucked. Vermiel will let a guy continue to suck forever if the guy works hard (see Hicks, Eric).

tk13
08-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Maybe you're forgetting that after we sucked in the pre-season that year, the King went out and made two big acquisitions. First, they dumped Trezelle Jenkins after he started the regular season opener and signed Glenn Parker to take his place. Then they traded for Wayne Simmons and put Terry Wooden on the bench.

At least Marty wasn't afraid to replace someone if he saw that they sucked. Vermiel will let a guy continue to suck forever if the guy works hard (see Hicks, Eric).
I'll see your Hicks and raise you a Grbac.

shaneo69
08-12-2005, 11:41 PM

Marty did bench Grbac in '98 for awhile, but then went back to Elvis at the end of the season when Gannon wasn't doing any better with that underachieving squad.

StcChief
08-13-2005, 07:08 AM
Preseason games suck because you can look real good and win all these meaningless games and still not win a game in the regular season.

Example Bears. They win all of theirs.
BTW. Lambs beat Bears last night in preseason at the Eddy.

Grossman is gone 3-4 months broken foot.

What is it with the Bears and QBs......It's a revolving door up there.

siberian khatru
08-13-2005, 07:39 AM
At least Marty wasn't afraid to replace someone if he saw that they sucked.

Well, except for certain kickers ... ;)

BigRedChief
08-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Well, except for certain kickers ... ;)

http://www.forumspile.com/OMFG-Cat.jpg
you had to being that up.

tomahawk kid
08-13-2005, 08:04 AM

I wouldn't rule that out completely this season either.

Carl has already eluded to bringing in another defensive player, either via a trade or signing someone via the waiver wire. Some on this board have speculated that it would a DL, and I'm inclined to agree.

I wouldn't be shocked to see us bring in a Wendall Bryant or another back-up quality DT in the next few days, as Siavii looked God-awful last night........

Saul Good
08-13-2005, 08:32 AM

I was watching a Michigan game on ESPN classic yesterday where Trezelle Jenkins blocked for Elvis Grbac who threw to Derrick Alexander. It was like the twilight zone.

Chan93lx50
08-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Well, I wont be happy until I see something that makes me happy last night did not make me happy so I am not happy!

I dont care if this is preseason and I doubt Gun is using the same excuse, our D Line look terrible from the DE to the DT.

I am pissed off and I am sure Gun is not very happy either. I am with Vlad on this one.

This preseason game was not a very good sign, I want results damn it!

neckdemon
08-13-2005, 08:43 AM
didnt you ugys have a couple of starters out in the defensive backfield. i knwo that doesn't help your d-line situation, but just asking. anyway, you'd better hope they figure out whats wrong and fix it before sept.11. cause if not its gonna be a long day for you guys.

BigRedChief
08-13-2005, 09:52 AM
I was watching a Michigan game on ESPN classic yesterday where Trezelle Jenkins blocked for Elvis Grbac who threw to Derrick Alexander. It was like the twilight zone.
http://www.forumspile.com/OMFG-Argh.jpg

MGRS13
08-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Not to be a naysayer, but I heard this last year. I agree it is too early to be discouraged but I see nothing positive at this point either. Not making lemonade out of piss.
Wow a light in the fog...new year same crap. I really really really want this defense to prove me wrong, but if the players still can't tackle, well.......

MGRS13
08-13-2005, 10:23 AM
didnt you ugys have a couple of starters out in the defensive backfield. i knwo that doesn't help your d-line situation, but just asking. anyway, you'd better hope they figure out whats wrong and fix it before sept.11. cause if not its gonna be a long day for you guys.
And you better hope your starting QB isnt damaged goods.

Chan93lx50
08-13-2005, 10:24 AM

For your sake you better hope our D does not improve!

Saul Good
08-13-2005, 10:39 AM

We were missing a few starters. Kendrell Bell and Eric Warfield come to mind. It seems like we were missing someone else, but I can't remember who.

eazyb81
08-13-2005, 10:44 AM
We were missing a few starters. Kendrell Bell and Eric Warfield come to mind. It seems like we were missing someone else, but I can't remember who.

Carlos Hall

htismaqe
08-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Kinda like the 2003 season, when the defense played well in the preseason and even held Tomlinson to 35 yards in game 1.

We all know how that turned out.

Wallcrawler
08-13-2005, 01:09 PM
First full speed action of the year missing some key players, yeah, theyre gonna be a bit rusty.

When weve got Kendrell Bell in there instead of dumbass Keyaron Fox things will be a bit different on the right side of the field. I dont know what the Key Fox pimps are thinking about right now, but he looked like pure crap last night.

Jared Allen may lose his spot to Carlos Hall if he cant play any better against the run. He had Mewelde Moore dead to rights, hands wrapped around his waist, and he just let him get away. Missing that tackle ended up in a 51 yard gainer. Allen has got to play the run better. Theres no question about it. He put up no pass rush last night, and let that runningback bust loose for a huge gain after having him in his grasp.

That kind of thing will not do him any favors in regard to facing Gun on the sideline.