PDA

View Full Version : This really bugs me....

badgirl
08-14-2005, 02:34 AM
I was watching the news about 3 days ago and there was this real fat woman on there speaking out against smoking and the dangers of it.

Pardon me, but she has no right to be saying anything about smokers health issues when obese people are known to have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems and many more, but these are the biggies.

I'd like to know who had her as a spokesperson about health issues.

Its like when I was pregnant with my daughter, the nutritionist was very very overweight, and here she is telling me how to eat.

Its just something that bugs me ever since I saw her on tv talking about how bad peoples health can get from smoking, even if I didn't smoke I still think that was the wrong person to get.. Maybe they should have at least gotten a in shape person to be talking about this topic.

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 02:40 AM
I was watching the news about 3 days ago and there was this real fat woman on there speaking out against smoking and the dangers of it.

and here she is telling me how to eat.
What? lol

tk13
08-14-2005, 02:41 AM
Then, as a smoker, do you have any right to be bagging on her obesity?

badgirl
08-14-2005, 02:43 AM
she is the one who got on national tv blabbing, I wouldn't go on tv and "bag" on anyone.

she started..... :deevee:

carlos3652
08-14-2005, 02:53 AM
ROFL

Ultra Peanut
08-14-2005, 03:08 AM
RIGHT NOW, ANOTHER PLEASE
RIGHT NOW, ANOTHER PLEASE
JUST LIKE THAT

Rausch
08-14-2005, 03:23 AM

Fat bidge vs.*smoking hag...

I'd say whoever runs the slower mile gets dogged out and forced to listen to the winner's bull$3it propaganda.

Mojo Rising
08-14-2005, 03:54 AM
Unless I am sitting on a plane next to her and her fat is spilling over to my seat then her overating doesn't bother me. Smoking on the other hand does. Second hand smoke kills and stinks.

Braincase
08-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Are people genetically pre-disposed to nicotine addiction? Or is smoking a choice?

I'm fat. And I'm glad I live in a community that recognizes the dangers of smoking, second hand smoke, and has the balls ban smoking in restaurants.

I've seen some of my closest friends father's and dear relatives die young of lung cancer. I've had cancer.

Meanwhile, my fat grandparents are celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary.

Smoking is a choice, usually made when one is young, and under peer-pressure to "be cool", "look cool" or appear to be more grown up. Ironically, these kids are also often the ones that will make fun of the fat kids for being fat, something that rarely happens by direct choice.

Sorry badgirl, seems to me you still want to pick on the fat kid.

chop
08-14-2005, 07:03 AM
I was at a customers site the other day when I had to use the restroom. I was in the shop area so I decided to use the restroom that was closest to me. I walked in and there was a fat guy standing in the middle of the room smoking a cigarette. What do yo think bothered me the most 1) Him being fat or 2) him smoking a cigarette?

With that said, I hear what you're saying about people pointing out faults with others while neglecting thier own.

Herzig
08-14-2005, 07:13 AM

Pardon me, but she has no right to be saying anything about smokers health issues when obese people are known to have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems and many more, but these are the biggies.

Its like when I was pregnant with my daughter, the nutritionist was very very overweight, and here she is telling me how to eat.

Its just something that bugs me ever since I saw her on tv talking about how bad peoples health can get from smoking, even if I didn't smoke I still think that was the wrong person to get.. Maybe they should have at least gotten a in shape person to be talking about this topic.

I can see where you are coming from...it is hypocritical for sure. Obesity and smoking are huge health issues. I believe both are in the top 3 "killers" in the US if I'm not mistaken. Both are partially responsible for the skyrocketing health insurance premiums in our country too. It also seems to me that more people are aware of the dangers of smoking and are quitting(I've been smoke free for 10 years now!!! Best thing I ever did for myself BTW) ...but it seems like more people are getting larger, portions at restaurants are larger, 5 and 6 year olds are obese, more my students are larger, and people generally seem to be unaware of all the health problems that obesity causes.

Bowser
08-14-2005, 08:03 AM
As hypocrytical as the fatty is, she is still right. It seems that you are trying to deflect your guilt of your smoking off on the fact that she shouldn't be talking health issue because of her weight. That doesn't make her any less wrong for saying it, or you any more right for smoking. [/Freud]

There's a reason they have the nickname "Cancer Sticks".

Phobia
08-14-2005, 08:22 AM
It sounds like somebody has some insecurity issues to me.

bringbackmarty
08-14-2005, 08:29 AM
in brazil, all the ladies love the fat guy cause they think he is rich.

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 08:33 AM
:hmmm:

Note to self: Brazil is my next vacation spot.

Bowser
08-14-2005, 08:40 AM

Yeah. I'm huge in Japan, as well.

Iowanian
08-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Personally, I think I'd rather boff a fat chic than a smoker.

I think it would be better to kiss a chic that tasted like Twinky instead of an old ashtray full of stale old Milwaukee.

Bowser
08-14-2005, 08:49 AM

I think it would be better to kiss a chic that tasted like Twinky instead of an old ashtray full of stale old Milwaukee.

Haha. Bingo!

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 08:55 AM
I can see where you are coming from...it is hypocritical for sure. Obesity and smoking are huge health issues. I believe both are in the top 3 "killers" in the US if I'm not mistaken.
Obesity WAS listed as a top killer, then the CDC got caught f**king with their numbers in order to scare up some more funding because of the upcoming "epidemic" their "research" found.

badgirl: I'm most certainly overweight, I'll even call myself fat and it's mostly due to lifestyle choices. I've known fat people and I've known smokers. I can tell you that I've never met someone that smoked because of a thyroid problem or because of genetic predisposition.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,113975,00.html
“Obesity is catching up to tobacco as the leading cause of death in America,” proclaimed Centers for Disease Control and Prevention chief Julie Gerberding this week. “Americans need to understand that overweight and obesity are literally killing us,” added Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson.

While it’s not disputed that severe obesity (search) may shorten life, the real killer in this case seems to be the CDC’s statistical malpractice.

The excuse for the desperate health warning is a study in the March 10 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association in which the CDC claims that poor diet and physical inactivity caused 400,000 deaths in 2000. That estimate supposedly represents a 33 percent increase from the 1990 estimate and approaches the 435,000 deaths in 2000 supposedly attributable to smoking.

Now it’s been said that there are two types of statistics ― the kind you look up and the kind you make up. CDC’s body counts are definitely the latter.

The CDC produced its estimates with a statistical ruse called “attributable risk” ― the fearmongers’ method of choice for alarming the public with large body counts. Attributable risk (search) could be the poster child for the saying, “garbage in, garbage out.”

Without getting lost in the depths of statistical formulas, the key components of attributable risk calculations are statistical correlations between potential causes and effects, like overweight/obesity and premature death. But just because overweight/obesity and premature death might have been statistically correlated in some studies doesn’t mean that overweight/obesity has been proven to cause premature death.

In the few studies that have reported correlations between overweight/obesity and premature death, the vast majority of the correlations are small, not statistically significant (that is, they may be due to chance) and, in short, are unreliable. Reported correlations between overweight/obesity with premature death don’t start to inspire even minimal confidence until the obesity in question is extreme ― cases where you only need common sense, not statistical hocus-pocus.

Recklessly plugging unreliable statistical correlations into the attributable risk formula to produce sensational body counts can only be described as junk science.

But you don’t need to take my word about the folly of the CDC’s methodology.

As the New England Journal of Medicine editorialized in 1998, “Although some claim that every year 300,000 deaths in the United States are caused by obesity, that figure is by no means well established. Not only is it derived from weak or incomplete data, but it is also called into question by the methodologic difficulties of determining which of many factors contribute to premature death.”

“Calculations of attributable risk are fraught with problems … [and can produce] a nonsensical result,” noted the Journal.

And if all this is too technical, just ask yourself this question: Is it really plausible that the death rate from overweight and obesity has increased by 33 percent in the last 10 years?

Let’s not forget that despite all the hyperventilating about our health, the CDC reported last month (with much less fanfare) that U.S. life expectancy (search) ― the most objective measure of public health ― reached an all-time high of 77.4 years in 2002, up from about 75.2 in 1990.

So what gives? Why does the CDC insist on nagging us about our waistlines? Two reasons come to mind.

First, the previously mentioned New England Journal of Medicine editorial characterized the obesity obsession as an example of “a tendency to medicalize behavior we do not approve of” ― that is, politically incorrect activities like over-eating, not exercising, smoking, drinking, and gun ownership.

Next, the public health establishment (search) is simply running out of things to do. Preventing and controlling the spread of infectious disease, the traditional and primary mission of public health professionals, has largely been achieved. The relatively small number of infectious disease deaths that still occur annually, excluding AIDS-related deaths, decreased by 25 percent from 1990 to 2000, according to the CDC.

In former President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s famous 1961 speech warning us of a looming military-industrial complex (search), he also said, “The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present and is gravely to be regarded. Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.”

Were Ike witnessing the health nannies’ apparent desire to control our behavior and bigger budgets, he might warn us of the looming “public health-industrial complex.”

stumppy
08-14-2005, 10:45 AM
AHEM........AHEM....... Your attention please.

In anticipation of the attention and participation that this thread might receive I would like to take a moment of everyones time and simply say:

Feel my pain.

Thank you for your time.
Feel free to talk amongst yourself, smoke'em if you got'em.

Katipan
08-14-2005, 10:47 AM

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Iowanian again."

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 10:50 AM
AHEM........AHEM....... Your attention please.

In anticipation of the attention and participation that this thread might receive I would like to take a moment of everyones time and simply say:

Feel my pain.

Thank you for your time.
Feel free to talk amongst yourself, smoke'em if you got'em.
You have no one to blame but yourself, stumppmeister. If you'd teach her to concentrate more on smokin' the ol' bologna pony and less on smokin' cigarettes, you'd both be a lot happier. :D

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Brazil also has terrible STD problems

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Gave up cigs..Jan 1st and haven't looked back.

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 10:54 AM
They've got nothing on 4th. He's a walking petri dish.

:D

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Gave up cigs..Jan 1st and haven't looked back.
Good for you. Studies show that you won't get dumber as you get older now that you've given up the cancer sticks. Continuous smokers lose ~3% of their intelligence and small motor skills around 50 years old, whereas non-smokers and even people who've quit don't show those losses.

BigRedChief
08-14-2005, 10:56 AM

Its just something that bugs me ever since I saw her on tv talking about how bad peoples health can get from smoking, even if I didn't smoke I still think that was the wrong person to get.. Maybe they should have at least gotten a in shape person to be talking about this topic.You got no beef sorry. just because shes fat don't mean chit.

I smoked for 13 years. I worked for 10 years as a Respiratory Therapist. I have an informed opinion.

Secondary smoke kills. It's your choice but in the end its gonna be your family and the taxpayer that pays for your choice. No way your insurance will cover your hospital and medical bills. We the taxpayers will have to cover the medical bills for you. Your family will have to watch you suffer and believe me when I say this.... your daily guilt will be overwhelming because of the pain to your family caused by your choice.

Along those same lines are helmet laws. Yeah it only hurts you physically if you crash but who pays the financial bill? The tax payer.

Lecture over. As you were.

Bowser
08-14-2005, 10:57 AM
They've got nothing on 4th. He's a walking petri dish.

:D

4th and Burning?

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 10:59 AM
...We the taxpayers will have to cover the medical bills for you...
...Along those same lines are helmut laws. Yeah it only hursts you physically if you crash but who pays the financial bill? The tax payer.

Lecture over. As you were.
Maybe if we made all smokers sign a waiver stating that we get to choose to not help them when they come down with the exact diseases that they were warned about?

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 11:00 AM
4th and Burning?
Wow.

:eek:

Braincase
08-14-2005, 12:04 PM

Folks, we have a winner. ROFL

marsaray
08-14-2005, 12:07 PM

Yeah fat people have no reason to be fat. There are ways to get in shape here in america. Like ddr. (dance dance revolution) It is fun and it burns your calories.

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah fat people have no reason to be fat. There are ways to get in shape here in america. Like ddr. (dance dance revolution) It is fun and it burns your calories.
So are you going to work some of the 60+ hours a week I put in right now so that I can go work out? Maybe you could come and clean my house or watch my kids. I'm about to regrout my shower, maybe you could come over this afternoon and take care of that while I hit the gym. Thanks for volunteering.

marsaray
08-14-2005, 12:27 PM
So are you going to work some of the 60+ hours a week I put in right now so that I can go work out? Maybe you could come and clean my house or watch my kids. I'm about to regrout my shower, maybe you could come over this afternoon and take care of that while I hit the gym. Thanks for volunteering.
I used to work that many hours a week and still come home and ddr. I recently quit my job. Though I am young so that may be why I can do all that. But seriously it only takes about an hour to burn 400 calories on ddr. Do it after dinner or something.
Also one of my jobs when I was working (I worked for a contractor) Was to grout things. I could do it for ya!!!!

Katipan
08-14-2005, 12:30 PM

please keep being a man instead of flailing around on a dance pad like a teenager.

marsaray
08-14-2005, 12:31 PM
please keep being a man instead of flailing around on a dance pad like a teenager.
Hey I'm a teenager!!!! And ddr will burn some serious calories.

Katipan
08-14-2005, 12:32 PM
so did ding dong ditch but i don't recommend adults play that one either

marsaray
08-14-2005, 12:33 PM
so did ding dong ditch but i don't recommend adults play that one either
DDr is just a dance game. You probably think it's lame cause you tried it and couldn't get past beginar. I play it on heavy and challenge and I could tell you it takes some serious skill to play it.

Katipan
08-14-2005, 12:35 PM
hoo rah babydoll. you're the coolest nerd on your block.

I'm sayin' the man with the job, the house, and the kids doesn't need to spend an hour doing back flips and the running man.

ZootedGranny
08-14-2005, 12:35 PM
http://home.kc.rr.com/mkbaslee/pregnant.jpg

marsaray
08-14-2005, 12:37 PM
hoo rah babydoll. you're the coolest nerd on your block.

I'm sayin' the man with the job, the house, and the kids doesn't need to spend an hour doing back flips and the running man.
Maybe so I was just suggesting ways to lose weight.

marsaray
08-14-2005, 12:38 PM
That is the stupidest women alive.

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 12:42 PM
I used to work that many hours a week and still come home and ddr. I recently quit my job. Though I am young so that may be why I can do all that. But seriously it only takes about an hour to burn 400 calories on ddr. Do it after dinner or something.
Also one of my jobs when I was working (I worked for a contractor) Was to grout things. I could do it for ya!!!!
You're young, some I'll give you so latitude here. However, let me introduce you to the life of an adult:

~6:30am: Wake up, shower, dress, eat breakfast, check some emails
~7:30am: Leave for work.
~8:00am: work
~12:00: Eat lunch, if I get the chance
~5:30pm: Drive home
~6:00pm: Make dinner, feed kids, clean up kitchen
~7:00pm: Play with kids
~7:30pm: Bathe kids and put them to bed
~8:00pm: Kiss the wife and go back to work
Between 1am and 3am: Go to bed.

It's kind of a vicious cycle. I'm a contractor, so when I have hours to bill I have to get as many as possible. You never know when the next dry spell is coming. Of course during those dry spells you spend every waking moment out trying to sell, then every evening trying to market yourself better the next day.

It'll come, sooner than you think. When I was in my teens I was sure life wouldn't be this way. I was wrong. About many, many things. The thing I learned as I grew older was that I didn't know s**t.

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 12:44 PM
You're young, so I'll give you so latitude here. However, let me introduce you to the life of an adult:

It's kind of a vicious cycle. I'm a contractor, so when I have hours to bill I have to get as many as possible. You never know when the next dry spell is coming. Of course during those dry spells you spend every waking moment out trying to sell, then every evening trying to market yourself better the next day.

It'll come, sooner than you think. When I was in my teens I was sure life wouldn't be this way. I was wrong. About many, many things. The thing I learned as I grew older was that I didn't know s**t.
I get up at 0500 every day and have an hour drive to work where I have to deal with sick, bleeding, dieing and dead people. Quit your moaning you big wuss. :p

marsaray
08-14-2005, 12:45 PM
You're young, some I'll give you so latitude here. However, let me introduce you to the life of an adult:

If your a contractor you don't really have to worry about exercise. I know cause my boss was insane with work. He could work for hours into the night and then get up at like 6 everyday and work again. I respect you for your job actually. I don't want that job at all. I plan on going into the military and I'm sure life won't be that easy.

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 12:46 PM
I get up at 0500 every day and have an hour drive to work where I have to deal with sick, bleeding, dieing and dead people. Quit your moaning you big wuss. :p
So you're an endentured servant? Or did you pick that job? Quit moaning you big wuss. :)

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 12:47 PM
So you're an endentured servant? Or did you pick that job? Quit moaning you big wuss. :)
ROFL
I am a slave to health care. I tried to quit once but was informed by management that I cannot quit due to the fact that slaves have to be sold.

marsaray
08-14-2005, 12:48 PM
ROFL
I am a slave to health care. I tried to quit once but was informed by management that I cannot quit due to the fact that slaves have to be sold.
Hahaha. Your not like a.. Love slave, right? :)

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 12:49 PM

Must be that part of Virginia....there is a dumb PETA loving woman in our office out there prego and smoking...and more concerned about the welfare of dogs

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Hahaha. Your not like a.. Love slave, right? :)
:eek: If you saw some of the nurses I have to deal with on a daily basis, you'd take out a butter knife from your kitchen drawer and slowly sacrifice your manhood for even suggesting that! :eek:

marsaray
Must be that part of Virginia....there is a dumb PETA loving woman in our office out there prego and smoking...and more concerned about the welfare of dogs
And women are supposed to be smarter then men... Right...

Simplex3
If your a contractor you don't really have to worry about exercise. I know cause my boss was insane with work. He could work for hours into the night and then get up at like 6 everyday and work again. I respect you for your job actually. I don't want that job at all. I plan on going into the military and I'm sure life won't be that easy.
Not the kind of contractor you're thinking of. I do contract computer programming. Between that career choice, kids, and a wife, I've gone from 225 and under 10% body fat, working out 6 times a day and employed at Gold's Gym to 290 (was as high as 330) and working out 2 or 3 times a month.

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Not the kind of contractor you're thinking of. I do contract computer programming. Between that career choice, kids, and a wife, I've gone from 225 and under 10% body fat, working out 6 times a day and employed at Gold's Gym to 290 (was as high as 330) and working out 2 or 3 times a month.
That reminds me. I have a Windows question for you later if you so choose to help me. If not, that's cool.

marsaray
08-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Ah. You do any scripting? I've always wanted to learn basic java but I can't relate to the material enough.

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 12:52 PM
And women are supposed to be smarter then men... Right...
Only in the minds of dumb broads.

(puts on asbestos underwear)

marsaray
:eek: If you saw some of the nurses I have to deal with on a daily basis, you'd take out a butter knife from your kitchen drawer and slowly sacrifice your manhood for even suggesting that! :eek:
Then they must be really hot!!!

Simplex3
That reminds me. I have a Windows question for you later if you so choose to help me. If not, that's cool.
You have to start the car before you can roll the electric ones down. How many times do we have to go over this? ;)

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Then they must be really hot!!!
Depends. Is this your idea of hot?
http://www.angeliqueandfriends.com/images/telegrams/tel_nurse_bea_welle.jpg
:shake:

luv
08-14-2005, 12:54 PM
I was a scrawny kid. My mom said I'd eat and eat, but I still looked underfed. Wehn I hit puberty at the age of 13, I gained 35-40 during a 6 month time. I have had preblems getting the weight back off ever since. Please do not stereotype obese people as just sitting around eating junk food all the time and not exercising. That is not always the case. Thank you.

4th and Long
You have to start the car before you can roll the electric ones down. How many times do we have to go over this? ;)
My bad for not using the "Microsoft" word. Bastage. :p

Bowser

If you go into the Air Force, I can guarantee that your life will be 100 times easier than what Simplex is doing.

Simplex3
Ah. You do any scripting? I've always wanted to learn basic java but I can't relate to the material enough.
Java or javascript? Java is bytecode compiled, javascript is a browser-based scripting language. I've never done any Java, but javascript I've done plenty of. Also C#, VB, Perl, PHP, ASP, TSQL, XML, HTML, XSL....

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 12:55 PM
I was a scrawny kid. My mom said I'd eat and eat, but I still looked underfed. Wehn I hit puberty at the age of 13, I gained 35-40 during a 6 month time. I have had preblems getting the weight back off ever since. Please do not stereotype obese people as just sitting around eating junk food all the time and not exercising. That is not always the case. Thank you.
You'll not hear me say or do that. Some people are genetically disposed. Thyroid, etc.

marsaray
08-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Java or javascript? Java is bytecode compiled, javascript is a browser-based scripting language. I've never done any Java, but javascript I've done plenty of. Also C#, VB, Perl, PHP, ASP, TSQL, XML, HTML, XSL....
Sorry yeah javascript and maybe action. I can do basic html.

marsaray
08-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Depends. Is this your idea of hot?
http://www.angeliqueandfriends.com/images/telegrams/tel_nurse_bea_welle.jpg
:shake:
If I say yes will you make fun of me?

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 12:57 PM
If I say yes will you make fun of me?
Yup! :D

marsaray
08-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Yup! :D
Then she is kind of hot in a manly sort of way. Jk she is the ugliest hag I have ever seen on prego porn.... I mean wait!!! Yeah she is ugly.

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 12:58 PM
If you go into the Air Force, I can guarantee that your life will be 100 times easier than what Simplex is doing.
I've got an uncle that was in the AF and now he's a civilian contractor. According to him you shouldn't join the AF unless you know you're going to be a pilot because otherwise "you'll be scraping bird poop off a runway in Guam". Or, in his case, you'll help design the missile turrets on the A-10.

luv
08-14-2005, 01:00 PM
You'll not hear me say or do that. Some people are genetically disposed. Thyroid, etc.
Exactly. Just because a person may be overweight doesn't mean they don't know the effects of different areas of health. Trust me. Diabetes, thyroid, eye problems, heart disease all run on my mom's side of the family. High blood pressure and cancer run on my dad's side. I know plenty of the health risks and whar can cause what. Just because I may be overweight means I have no right saying what the effects of smoking are? C'mon.

marsaray
08-14-2005, 01:00 PM
I've got an uncle that was in the AF and now he's a civilian contractor. According to him you shouldn't join the AF unless you know you're going to be a pilot because otherwise "you'll be scraping bird poop off a runway in Guam". Or, in his case, you'll help design the missile turrets on the A-10.
I want to be a pilot of one of those computer controlled planes.

Bowser
08-14-2005, 01:01 PM

Didn't scrape the dung, but I did drink a whole lot of beer in Okinawa. Can't attest to what I did after I drank said beer.

Fighter pilots, btw, are a bunch of crazy adrenaline junkies. Just in case nobody figured that out yet.

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Sorry yeah javascript and maybe action. I can do basic html.
javascript is easy if you have any coding talent at all. The thing about coding is that it's a mindset as much as a skillset. If you don't think the right way you'll never be great. Not everyone can do it.

Bowser
Exactly. Just because a person may be overweight doesn't mean they don't know the effects of different areas of health. Trust me. Diabetes, thyroid, eye problems, heart disease all run on my mom's side of the family. High blood pressure and cancer run on my dad's side. I know plenty of the health risks and whar can cause what. Just because I may be overweight means I have no right saying what the effects of smoking are? C'mon.

Do you smoke?

marsaray
I was a fat little kid and I really have dieted and exercised my way out of it. I joined track and put my 22% body fat down to 8%. It all depends on how much time you have.

4th and Long
All that stuff sucks. Luckily for you, you aren't drop dead ugly. :)

luv
Do you smoke?
No.

Bowser
08-14-2005, 01:03 PM
No.

You're sexier already.

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Didn't scrape the dung, but I did drink a whole lot of beer in Okinawa. Can't attest to what I did after I drank said beer.

Fighter pilots, btw, are a bunch of crazy adrenaline junkies. Just in case nobody figured that out yet.
Hmmm, strapping yourself to a large gas tank, lighting it on fire, then going flying off to shoot at eachother is crazy? Who'da thunkit?

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Hey <strike>Herpes</strike> Simplex3, :D

I do need some puter help but it will have to wait until I get back from my Mother's house. I have to reset some electrical devices for her. She is as bad as my father when it comes to things like that. I swear, if I died tomorrow, all the clocks in both of their respective homes would perpetually blink 12:00.

Be back later! as if any of you care

Bowser
08-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Hmmm, strapping yourself to a large gas tank, lighting it on fire, then going flying off to shoot at eachother is crazy? Who'da thunkit?

I'd always laugh when I would see these guys sitting in the cockpit at 6 am with their visors down and oxygen going during the pre-flight.

I'm pretty sure fighter pilots don't get much sleep.

luv
08-14-2005, 01:05 PM
You're sexier already.
:spock:

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Hey <strike>Herpes</strike> Simplex3, :D

I do need some puter help but it will have to wait until I get back from my Mother's house. I have to reset some electrical devices for her. She is as bad as my father when it comes to things like that. I swear, if I died tomorrow, all the clocks in both of their respective homes would perpetually blink 12:00.

Be back later! as if any of you care
ROFL

I'll be around after 8:30 probably. Will have to leave the wonderful graces of the Planet in the next 20m or so to do the shower. :banghead:

marsaray
08-14-2005, 01:08 PM
ROFL

I'll be around after 8:30 probably. Will have to leave the wonderful graces of the Planet in the next 20m or so to do the
shower. :banghead:
I will move to the nintendo boards since everyone here is leaving.

Bowser
08-14-2005, 01:08 PM
:spock:

Meaning it's a good thing you don't smoke.

:redface:

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Nintendo? What are you, 12?

luv
08-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Meaning it's a good thing you don't smoke.

:redface:
I already have the potentiality of problems that come with being overweight, so I don't need the added risks that would come with smoking added to that. Anyway. Thank you for the compliment.

BigRedChief
08-14-2005, 01:20 PM

Work out with dance revolution? Go to nintendo boards? Youse got sum splaining to do big boy.:harumph:

BigRedChief
08-14-2005, 01:26 PM

Its all about willpower and choices. Could everyone be in better shape? Not smoke? Drink excessively? Of course. But sometimes we chose not too. Does mean we are bad people or if you are overweight you lose the right to have an opinion on smoking. I chose to quit smoking. Successful the first time. I've been to many pizza buffetts so I guess I'm disqualified from verbalizing a thought. Lets get real world.

badgirl
08-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Why am I not surprised that every one of you missed the freaking point, its not about smoking, or being fat its the hypocritical way this woman who could have potential health problems cause of her weight could get on tv and tell all the smokers the potential health problems cigerettes could cause.

I do not feel sorry for people who are overweight, the old thyroid card doesn't play well with me, neither does genetics, push youself away from the buffet and eat better and exercise.

I hate smoking, its a nasty, dangerous habit and I know it could cause long term problems with my health, but so can being overweight, I am not saying smoking is right, but how many of you would not think there was something wrong with the picture if they had someone on tv smoking a cigerette and telling everyone how dangerous it is to be overweight. That would be just as weird to me and I would think the same thing, which is why is this woman or person, sitting there killing themselves and telling people to eat right and lose weight.

The point isn't fat vs smoking its someone being a damn hypocrite.

BigRedChief
08-14-2005, 01:34 PM

I believe that I addressed that issue in my two posts here in this thread. Please reread my posts and see where you are not clear on my points.

badgirl
08-14-2005, 01:36 PM
I believe that I addressed that issue in my two posts here in this thread. Please reread my posts and see where you are not clear on my points.
Ok I admit I only read 4 pages and realized where it was going, sorry.

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Why am I not surprised that every one of you missed the freaking point, its not about smoking, or being fat its the hypocritical way this woman who could have potential health problems cause of her weight could get on tv and tell all the smokers the potential health problems cigerettes could cause.

I do not feel sorry for people who are overweight, the old thyroid card doesn't play well with me, neither does genetics, push youself away from the buffet and eat better and exercise.

I hate smoking, its a nasty, dangerous habit and I know it could cause long term problems with my health, but so can being overweight, I am not saying smoking is right, but how many of you would not think there was something wrong with the picture if they had someone on tv smoking a cigerette and telling everyone how dangerous it is to be overweight. That would be just as weird to me and I would think the same thing, which is why is this woman or person, sitting there killing themselves and telling people to eat right and lose weight.

You're right...the fat pig is a hypocrite...what's you're point? We all are at one time or another. It's human nature.

badgirl
08-14-2005, 02:09 PM
You're right...the fat pig is a hypocrite...what's you're point? We all are at one time or another. It's human nature.
I admit we all are at some point, but do we go on NATIONAL TV and preach it to everyone? I just think the company or whoever it was that sent her there could have made a better choice, if it had been someone in good physical condition, yea I could understand how they could come on tv and tell us smoking has health risks ( like we didn't already know) and I'd think nothing of it. But because of her weight, I'm talking like 200+pounds, although she has the right to speak her mind on smoking, it wasn't a well thought out decision to let her have the job.

luv
08-14-2005, 02:36 PM

You obviously don't know what it's like to have the problem. You have no right judging me and saying I don't know when to push away from the buffet. So you had a problem with her. So what. I don't appreciate being stereotyped.

luv
08-14-2005, 02:41 PM
I admit we all are at some point, but do we go on NATIONAL TV and preach it to everyone? I just think the company or whoever it was that sent her there could have made a better choice, if it had been someone in good physical condition, yea I could understand how they could come on tv and tell us smoking has health risks ( like we didn't already know) and I'd think nothing of it. But because of her weight, I'm talking like 200+pounds, although she has the right to speak her mind on smoking, it wasn't a well thought out decision to let her have the job.
In my opinion weight and smoking don't go hand in hand. I don't see the problem if she doesn't smoke. Now if she were on there telling people how to eat, with her being overweight, that I would see as more hypocritical. Unless she was saying if you don't eat right, then you'll look like me type of thing. :)

badgirl
08-14-2005, 02:42 PM
You obviously don't know what it's like to have the problem. You have no right judging me and saying I don't know when to push away from the buffet. So you had a problem with her. So what. I don't appreciate being stereotyped.
Are you really really big? From looking at your pic your not the type of person I am speaking, I am talking about the ones who uses the chairs for disabled people in wal-mart cause they're to fat to walk around the store like other people. Sorry if you think I was speaking of you personally, I wasn't, but I do think if you have a problem with weight you can lose it if you want to, just like I could stop smoking if I wanted to, but I don't want to yet. Your too hard on yourself in a lot of the stuff you post. Why? If your not happy with the way you look you can change it and if you are happy then why are you always putting yourself down?

luv
08-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Are you really really big? From looking at your pic your not the type of person I am speaking, I am talking about the ones who uses the chairs for disabled people in wal-mart cause they're to fat to walk around the store like other people. Sorry if you think I was speaking of you personally, I wasn't, but I do think if you have a problem with weight you can lose it if you want to, just like I could stop smoking if I wanted to, but I don't want to yet. Your too hard on yourself in a lot of the stuff you post. Why? If your not happy with the way you look you can change it and if you are happy then why are you always putting yourself down?
You posted earlier 200+ pounds. I am 230.

badgirl
08-14-2005, 02:44 PM
In my opinion weight and smoking don't go hand in hand. I don't see the problem if she doesn't smoke. Now if she were on there telling people how to eat, with her being overweight, that I would see as more hypocritical. Unless she was saying if you don't eat right, then you'll look like me type of thing. :)
Its not the smoking/weight thing its the health risks she was speaking of because of smoking when she herself would be in the health risk catagory herself.

Oh and no I have never had a weight problem, cause I won't allow it, ever.

badgirl
08-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Its how you feel about yourself, I personally think you would like to lose weight cause of the way you speak of yourself, If you want to lose it, then just do it. You live in Springfield, right? So do I and I have been wanting to join a gym, would you like to join and go together and maybe I could quit smoking if I was working out and feeling better, and healthier.

luv
08-14-2005, 02:47 PM
And who say's I don't try. It's not like you just snap your fingers and the weight is gone. My doctor has put me on prescription pills before. And I was also eating less than 1200 calories a day. I lost 40 pounds, but I was becoming too dependent on the medicine. I ate the same calories, but gained weight. There's more to weight than just eating and exercising. It also has to do with how your body processes food. I've seen people eat and eat and eat and not gain a pound. I even look at a calorie and it goes straight to my waste. I wish I was blessed with others metabolism.

luv
08-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Its how you feel about yourself, I personally think you would like to lose weight cause of the way you speak of yourself, If you want to lose it, then just do it. You live in Springfield, right? So do I and I have been wanting to join a gym, would you like to join and go together and maybe I could quit smoking if I was working out and feeling better, and healthier.
Thank you for the offer, but I feel very uncomfortable going into a public gym. The company where I work has a weight room. I use it. Thank you though.

badgirl
08-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Thank you for the offer, but I feel very uncomfortable going into a public gym. The company where I work has a weight room. I use it. Thank you though.
Your welcome, but I hate that you don't like going into a public gym, screw those people, I just thought it may be fun and we could give each other support.

badgirl
08-14-2005, 02:54 PM
And who say's I don't try. It's not like you just snap your fingers and the weight is gone. My doctor has put me on prescription pills before. And I was also eating less than 1200 calories a day. I lost 40 pounds, but I was becoming too dependent on the medicine. I ate the same calories, but gained weight. There's more to weight than just eating and exercising. It also has to do with how your body processes food. I've seen people eat and eat and eat and not gain a pound. I even look at a calorie and it goes straight to my waste. I wish I was blessed with others metabolism.

Isn't there a pill to speed up your metabolism?

If I wanted to lose weight and feel good about myself but it meant me taking a pill a day, well so be it, I would do what I had to do.

No you don't just snap your fingers, but if I gained say 3 pounds and I wanted to lose it, I just stop eating, I eat nothing for maybe 2 days or 3 and then you lose your appatite and don't want to eat anything and the weight comes off fast, just drink lots of water.

luv
08-14-2005, 02:59 PM

If I wanted to lose weight and feel good about myself but it meant me taking a pill a day, well so be it, I would do what I had to do.
I don't like being dependent on pills. When I was taking some, it got to the point where, if I forgot to take one on a certain day, I could hardly move because I felt so tired. And they cost. So do public gyms. I don't have the money to do all that. I'm watching what I eat and using the workout room at work. I haven't lost much, but at least I've stopped gaining.

badgirl
08-14-2005, 03:12 PM
I don't like being dependent on pills. When I was taking some, it got to the point where, if I forgot to take one on a certain day, I could hardly move because I felt so tired. And they cost. So do public gyms. I don't have the money to do all that. I'm watching what I eat and using the workout room at work. I haven't lost much, but at least I've stopped gaining.
Well thats good, I wish you the very best in losing what you want to lose and please don't be hard on yourself, I know we are our worse critics :)

Fairplay
08-14-2005, 03:24 PM

Yes. But meth works faster.

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 03:57 PM

Yeah it's called exercise and humans can't change it overnight...it takes time to discipline the body

Uatu
08-14-2005, 04:29 PM
In my opinion, failing to maintain one's weight at a healthy level is just as bad as smoking.

You can see it in people around you. Who generally are the people who are out sick at work most often? Smokers, but the obese as well.

I don't think there is any question that being obese causes health problems, and those are health problems that affect us all. They affect me because of the damage that lost work time does to business and the economy, the rising cost of health care, etc. Just because the only person's health you are affecting is your own, doesn't mean that your negligence isn't still a detriment to others in different ways.

To me, being genetically disposed is of no consequence. Everyone is disposed more toward one vice than another. Your parents may have been drug addicts, or smokers, or drinkers, or whatever. It's still up to you to deal with your circumstances.

As far as second-hand smoke goes, the issue is deeply embroiled in the politics of the 'sue the tobbacco companies' issue, and it's not easy to know what information to trust. I've read articles reporting that it is damning to your health to even eat in restaurants where there's a hint of smoke in the air. I've read others that appeared equally scholarly doubting the effects of SHS were anywhere near as serious as they are often reported to be and that it was not dangerous on an occasional basis, but only in extreme environments.

Both are dangerous, but the fact that obesity is often let off the hook because it's more socially acceptable annoys me.

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 04:39 PM
In my opinion, failing to maintain one's weight at a healthy level is just as bad as smoking.

You can see it in people around you. Who generally are the people who are out sick at work most often? Smokers, but the obese as well.

I don't think there is any question that being obese causes health problems, and those are health problems that affect us all. They affect me because of the damage that lost work time does to business and the economy, the rising cost of health care, etc. Just because the only person's health you are affecting is your own, doesn't mean that your negligence isn't still a detriment to others in different ways.

To me, being genetically disposed is of no consequence. Everyone is disposed more toward one vice than another. Your parents may have been drug addicts, or smokers, or drinkers, or whatever. It's still up to you to deal with your circumstances.

As far as second-hand smoke goes, the issue is deeply embroiled in the politics of the 'sue the tobbacco companies' issue, and it's not easy to know what information to trust. I've read articles reporting that it is damning to your health to even eat in restaurants where there's a hint of smoke in the air. I've read others that appeared equally scholarly doubting the effects of SHS were anywhere near as serious as they are often reported to be and that it was not dangerous on an occasional basis, but only in extreme environments.

Both are dangerous, but the fact that obesity is often let off the hook because it's more socially acceptable annoys me.

Yep...you gotta fight that shit in your mind every day until you beat it back.

Techinically speaking....there is no direct cause and effect relationship between lung cancer and smoking...only a correlational one

Nightfyre
08-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Not having read this thread, I have but one contribution:

"Smoking is bad for you!" :p

luv
08-14-2005, 04:48 PM

Actually, the people who are out most often are the lazy asses or the ones with the attitudes and don't want to be there. I am overweight, but I have had perfect attendance since last October. Even then, I wasn't sick, I had an emergency come up, but was out of vacation time to cover the hours missed.

luv
08-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Woohooo. A whole 400 calories an hour. Even if you only ate 1200 calories a day, it would take three hours to burn off those few calories. And do you know how many calories are in a pound? It would take longer than three hours to burn off a single pound. But if it works for you.... :thumb:

luv
08-14-2005, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=luv2rite Just because I may be overweight means I have no right saying what the effects of smoking are?

I don't approach random fat people with a cigarette dangling from my lips and lecture 'em about how the pork chop they're wolfing down is gonna give 'em a heart attack.
I wasn't the one on national television telling people not to smoke. I go to bars, I have friends who smoke. Do I get on to them? Maybe from time to time. But they do the same to me whenever I tell them I'm in the mood for chocolate. And how could I possibly talk to someone whenever I'm shoveling food into my mouth? I don't talk with my mouth full.

Rain Man
08-14-2005, 05:09 PM
At a future 37 Forever banquet, I would find it interesting if we had some sort of contest where we saw if a massive smoker died before a massive overeater.

Rausch
08-14-2005, 05:12 PM
I don't talk with my mouth full.

So you are a smoker... :)

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 05:19 PM
I know a gal w/ a thyroid problem that isn't the slightest bit fat. Why? She takes her medication and adjusted her diet accordingly. Amazing.

Your thyroid gland isn't gonna leap out of your body pick up food and shove it in your mouth.
Hey Einstein, I happen to be a health care professional. Unless you have medical credentials and a controlled study that shows every person with a thyroid disorder is more than capable of being fit in trim, I suggest you stick to talking about the things you are qualified for. This isn't one of them

For those of you that are truly interested in this, a thyroid condition is a very difficult thing to get a handle on for the vast majority of individuals afflicted. Blood levels have to be drawn and certain people react to various thyroid medications differently. Some people swear my Levothroid. Some doctors will only prescribe brand name Synthroid. Others use the generic Levothyroxine. The bottom line here is, no two people react the exact same way to medication.

Iowanian
08-14-2005, 05:26 PM

I've been pondering if I should get a case of the herp or begin to menstruate...

from the Valtrex commerial, it looks more fun to have the herp than what I do now....horseback riding in the mountains, canoeing a clear river...hiking the slot canyons of Utah, skiing Vail....cuddling with hot chics who apparently don't care that you have the herp........vs the box of she-plugs which reads like a summer camp syllabus.

Rain Man
08-14-2005, 05:28 PM
It's about time someone recognized my genius around here.

Riddle me this, health care professional... how many Jews with thyroid conditions were grossly obese at Auschwitz?

This is like that part of War of the Worlds right after the lightning strikes.

Uatu
08-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Actually, the people who are out most often are the lazy asses or the ones with the attitudes and don't want to be there. I am overweight, but I have had perfect attendance since last October. Even then, I wasn't sick, I had an emergency come up, but was out of vacation time to cover the hours missed.

Exceptions don't disprove generalizations.

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 05:29 PM
It's about time someone recognized my genius around here.

Riddle me this, health care professional... how many Jews with thyroid conditions were grossly obese at Auschwitz?
Lets see, food deprivation vs. a thyroid condition.

Since the Jews we unable to consume normal amounts of food, well have to look at this a different way.

If we turned this into an equation, it might look something like this.

Food Deprivation = a locomotive churning down the tracks at breakneck speed.

Thyroid Condition = a Yugo sitting on those same tracks.

In the above equation, just as in real life, the train always wins.

luv
08-14-2005, 05:30 PM
I've been pondering if I should get a case of the herp or begin to menstruate...

from the Valtrex commerial, it looks more fun to have the herp than what I do now....horseback riding in the mountains, canoeing a clear river...hiking the slot canyons of Utah, skiing Vail....cuddling with hot chics who apparently don't care that you have the herp........vs the box of she-plugs which reads like a summer camp syllabus.
If tampons are too complicated for you, you could just try pads instead. But those things are nasty.

Bowser
08-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Wow. This thread morphed pretty quickly.......

luv
08-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Exceptions don't disprove generalizations.
Very true. A vast majority of Americans who are overweight are lazy overeaters. What I don't like is when people assume that all people who are overweight are overweight for the same reason. We know what assuming does.

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 05:34 PM
For those of you that are truly interested in this, a thyroid condition is a very difficult thing to get a handle on for the vast majority of individuals afflicted. Blood levels have to be drawn and certain people react to various thyroid medications differently. Some people swear my Levothroid. Some doctors will only prescribe brand name Synthroid. Others use the generic Levothyroxine. The bottom line here is, no two people react the exact same way to medication.

While I don't doubt your abilities specifically 4th...the fact that you say certain doctors will only prescribe certain drugs based on perks from pharm reps...tells me something about people with "medical creds".

luv
08-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Man. All this talk is making me hungry. I think I'm gonna go order three large pizzas, two orders of hotwings, some cheese bread, and a 2L of Dr Pepper to wash it all down.

But what to have for the main course? :hmmm:

ROFL

Iowanian
08-14-2005, 05:40 PM
If tampons are too complicated for you, you could just try pads instead. But those things are nasty.

Thats not a string hanging from my taint lady...thats a rip chord for a flesh rocket!

I find it much more sanitary to just throw rocks at the Leaking broad until she heads for the TeePee at the edge of the village with good ventilation, an air freshner and a noise(bitching) proof Buffalo hide parka.

That teepee seems to have more flies than a herd of Mustangs though.

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 05:44 PM
While I don't doubt your abilities specifically 4th...the fact that you say certain doctors will only prescribe certain drugs based on perks from pharm reps...tells me something about people with "medical creds".
I said nothing about perks from drug reps. Your conspiracy theory is absurd.

Tons of studies show that brand name Synthroid is more effective than off brand Levothroid or generic Levothyroxine. Drugs are rated by the FDA for efficacy. The highest rating a generic drug can get is an AB rating. this means it is just as effective as it's brand competitor. Currently, there are no AB rated generic equivalents for Synthroid.

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Man. All this talk is making me hungry. I think I'm gonna go order three large pizzas, two orders of hotwings, some cheese bread, and a 2L of Dr Pepper to wash it all down.

But what to have for the main course? :hmmm:

ROFL

**** that...eat an apple

luv
08-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Thats not a string hanging from my taint lady...thats a rip chord for a flesh rocket!

I find it much more sanitary to just throw rocks at the Leaking broad until she heads for the TeePee at the edge of the village with good ventilation, an air freshner and a noise(bitching) proof Buffalo hide parka.

That teepee seems to have more flies than a herd of Mustangs though.
When you pull the chord, does anything come out?

STFU STFU STFU

:p

luv
08-14-2005, 05:47 PM
**** that...eat an apple
Having not gone grocery shopping this week, it will probably be a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats w/ Almonds.

Iowanian
08-14-2005, 05:49 PM
When you pull the chord, does anything come out?

STFU STFU STFU

:p

Only if you suck the cork out of the rocket first.

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 05:50 PM
I said nothing about perks from drug reps. Your conspiracy theory is absurd.

Tons of studies show that brand name Synthroid is more effective than off brand Levothroid or generic Levothyroxine. Drugs are rated by the FDA for efficacy. The highest rating a generic drug can get is an AB rating. this means it is just as effective as it's brand competitor. Currently, there are no AB rated generic equivalents for Synthroid.

That doesn't mean it doesn't happen...like I said...their exist medical professionals that do indeed do exactly what I said. Pharm reps have told me as much...the pay off...Golf trips....hunting trips....trips to the Keys and the like. It's not a theory...it happens.

luv
08-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Only if you suck the cork out of the rocket first.
ROFL

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Having not gone grocery shopping this week, it will probably be a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats w/ Almonds.

Yep...I run into that too sometimes...It's why I keep oatmeal around.

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 05:57 PM
That doesn't mean it doesn't happen...like I said...their exist medical professionals that do indeed do exactly what I said. Pharm reps have told me as much...the pay off...Golf trips....hunting trips....trips to the Keys and the like. It's not a theory...it happens.
That sort of thing is for the unethical scumbags and they risk going to jail for violating federal law for doing as much.

Nuff said.

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 05:57 PM
I've come up with a revolutionary solution for when I find myself with no food and the house and the desire to prepare a meal for myself.

I drive to the grocery store.
I never go to the food store hungry

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 05:58 PM
That sort of thing is for the unethical scumbags and they risk going to jail for violating federal law for doing as much.

Nuff said.

I know...but it happens...and they have medical credentials.

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Heh... but, you could stock up for months.

I go once a week...for the trim.

luv
08-14-2005, 06:00 PM
I've come up with a revolutionary solution for when I find myself with no food and the house and the desire to prepare a meal for myself.

I drive to the grocery store.
I do my grocery shopping at wally world. Best time to do that is after 11PM. No crowds. There's a Price Cutter next door, but I only walk over there when I'm out of one or two things I need.

luv
08-14-2005, 06:01 PM
I go once a week...for the trim.
Same here. Every Sunday night. Unless I have the extra money, then I'll get enough to last me for two weeks.

luv
08-14-2005, 06:04 PM
ROFL You go to the grocery store lookin' for chicks?
Not chicks, maybe chicken breasts, or thighs. That doesn't sound any better, does it? :banghead:

Okay. So I should have taken that part out of the quote. :redface:

chefsos
08-14-2005, 06:05 PM

That's great in theory, but I find that if I shop when not hungry, I come home with all kinds of sh*t that I won't eat. And if I don't eat.....

I'll stop there, guess I proved your theory.

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Not chicks, maybe chicken breasts, or thighs. That doesn't sound any better, does it? :banghead:

Okay. So I should have taken that part out of the quote. :redface:

baked chicken is about all I eat

Rain Man
08-14-2005, 06:07 PM

If you ever run out of food in the house, you're could starve to death with that philosophy.

luv
08-14-2005, 06:09 PM
baked chicken is about all I eat
Get some lemon juice and some coarse pepper, wrap your chicken in some aluminum foil with that, bake at 350 for 1 hour. Mmmmmm.

chefsos
08-14-2005, 06:15 PM
I can't let that fancy grill Phil installed on my deck go to waste, so that's where my chicken gets cooked.

If I ever work up the motivation to get dressed, I'm gonna go outside and toss a breast on it for dinner.

Gonna let her keep the other one?

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2005, 06:15 PM
If you ever run out of food in the house, you're could starve to death with that philosophy.

I know...but it's a risk I take(tear)..

Rain Man
08-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Get some lemon juice and some coarse pepper, wrap your chicken in some aluminum foil with that, bake at 350 for 1 hour. Mmmmmm.

I've tried that recipe before and hated it. That aluminum foil really bothers my teeth.

BigRedChief
08-14-2005, 07:40 PM

chit I'm 350 lbs. I guess I can't comment on anything but pizza buffets. :banghead:

4th and Long
08-14-2005, 07:42 PM
I've tried that recipe before and hated it. That aluminum foil really bothers my teeth.
Now I know where the, "How many fillings do you have?" thread came from.

chefsos
08-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Now I know where the, "How many fillings do you have?" thread came from.

Exactly. I was disappointed the "My teeth are filled with chicken flavored aluminum" option wasn't there.

badgirl
08-14-2005, 11:01 PM

I agree with everything you said. IMO you cannot blame thyroid problems on being overweight.

Lets see...... what can I blame my smoking on???? :hmmm:

luv
08-14-2005, 11:02 PM
I agree with everything you said. IMO you cannot blame thyroid problems on being overweight.

Lets see...... what can I blame my smoking on???? :hmmm:
Most people I know who smoke blame it on stress.

badgirl
08-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Most people I know who smoke blame it on stress.

Ok thats what I'll start using, stress makes me smoke.....yea right. ROFL

luv
08-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Ok thats what I'll start using, stress makes me smoke.....yea right. ROFL
They do. When they try to quit, but something happens that stresses them out, the first thing they say is, "I need a cigarette."

badgirl
08-14-2005, 11:10 PM
They do. When they try to quit, but something happens that stresses them out, the first thing they say is, "I need a cigarette."
yea I've heard that before, it is an excuse, the cigarette doesn't get rid of the problem, if they are that stressed out they need to fix the problem thats stressing them out. I started smoking when I was 33 years old, never smoked before and it was a gradual thing that I regret, and one day I will quit, but you have to really want to quit and I don't want to bad enough that if I tried it would work, I know it wouldn't.

I wish I had never started, but thats history.

If I am stressed out I cannot eat anything at all, my sister is opposite, if she is stressed, she eats, she has gained some pounds and when I went to alabama to visit her, I told her "damn girl you getting a spread there" she said I know its all this damn stress and all I want to do is eat.

I tell my kids and anyone I know if they start gaining weight...not like they don't realize it, but if you try to sweep it under the rug and don't say anything, they may not try to do anything about it and keep gaining.

rnslouise
08-14-2005, 11:45 PM
omg badgirl I nearly fell out of my chair when I read your shirt! that is to funny!

I totally agree with what you're saying. people should stop and fix their own problems before fixing other people's. I read that a big number of us are overweight (obese) as it is. it reminds me of that movie "supersize me".

J Diddy
08-14-2005, 11:50 PM

Sex makes me want a cigarette. If I'm getting that who freaking cares if i'm fat or stressed.

luv
08-15-2005, 12:06 AM
Sex makes me want a cigarette. If I'm getting that who freaking cares if i'm fat or stressed.
Sex is a good stress reliever. I never saw the point in smoking afterwards. But then again, I don't smoke.

bringbackmarty
08-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Sex is a good stress reliever. I never saw the point in smoking afterwards. But then again, I don't smoke.
i think if you smoke after sex, you are doing it wrong. use some lube to cut down on the friction.

onescrewleftuntwisted
08-15-2005, 05:09 PM
:hmmm:

Note to self: Brazil is my next vacation spot.

no joke, i go down there and shake shake shake, shake that booty

onescrewleftuntwisted
08-15-2005, 05:12 PM
FAT POWER, FAT POWER, WE SHALL RISE UP AND SIT ON THE LITTLE PEOPLE, AND BLOW SMOKE IN THEIR NON-SMOKING FACES

fan4ever
08-15-2005, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=BigRedChief]Secondary smoke kills. It's your choice but in the end its gonna be your family and the taxpayer that pays for your choice. No way your insurance will cover your hospital and medical bills. We the taxpayers will have to cover the medical bills for you. Your family will have to watch you suffer and believe me when I say this.... your daily guilt will be overwhelming because of the pain to your family caused by your choice.

QUOTE]

Interesting viewpoint. I read an article by a Harvard economic professor (who was a non-smoker) about the cost of smoker healthcare of the taxpaying public. It was right after the huge increase in taxes on a pack of cigarettes. If I remember correctly (they've increased the taxes so many times on a pack of smokes, I can't remember every increase) the last hike was over $1.00. According to this guy's study, the average, non-insured smoker costs to a state is thirty-five cents in tax for every pack of smokes purchased. Many smokers do indeed have their own coverage, and the dollar-plus hike was way excess of the actual cost to non-smoking tax payers. He also brought up very good points about how many cities are passing non-smoking ordinances for private business, which is unconstitutional; private property. Another of his points in this article was that a large percentage of smokers are not college educated; lower income, and addicted. So basically you were taxing the less educated, who were addicted to a legal substance, and could least afford the taxes associated with their addiction.

Yes, I'm a smoker; casual in nature. I don't smoke all week long, but on the weekends when I have an adult beverage or two...or two more...I'll smoke. A pack lasts me about a week...unless the Chiefs are playing.

Rukdafaidas
08-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Interesting viewpoint. I read an article by a Harvard economic professor (who was a non-smoker) about the cost of smoker healthcare of the taxpaying public. It was right after the huge increase in taxes on a pack of cigarettes. If I remember correctly (they've increased the taxes so many times on a pack of smokes, I can't remember every increase) the last hike was over $1.00. According to this guy's study, the average, non-insured smoker costs to a state is thirty-five cents in tax for every pack of smokes purchased. Many smokers do indeed have their own coverage, and the dollar-plus hike was way excess of the actual cost to non-smoking tax payers.
Yeah, last I heard was the average pack of cigarettes was $3.73 and $3.07 of that is Taxes. That's right, 82% of what smokers pay for a pack of cigs goes to taxes. If all the smokers quit tomorrow, who would cover the $75 billion in lost taxes?

joesomebody
08-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Are people genetically pre-disposed to nicotine addiction? Or is smoking a choice?

I'm fat. And I'm glad I live in a community that recognizes the dangers of smoking, second hand smoke, and has the balls ban smoking in restaurants.

I've seen some of my closest friends father's and dear relatives die young of lung cancer. I've had cancer.

Meanwhile, my fat grandparents are celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary.

Smoking is a choice, usually made when one is young, and under peer-pressure to "be cool", "look cool" or appear to be more grown up. Ironically, these kids are also often the ones that will make fun of the fat kids for being fat, something that rarely happens by direct choice.

Sorry badgirl, seems to me you still want to pick on the fat kid.I see your point, but just because someone is "pre-disposed" to be fat doesn't make putting down the hoagie any harder than putting down cigarettes...

I'm in the position that I was a fat ass all through my childhood and high school (picked up smoking along the way.)

I am 5'8" and weighed 210 my freshman year of college. Halfway through I decided I wanted to enlist in the Air Force, which required me to drop to 184 before even applying.

I can't quit smoking, or at least its been very hard for me... I now weigh 164 and ran the SLC 5k and finished in the top 15% of the 3828 people whom ran it...

Just my experience, but it was a hell of a lot easier to drop 46 pounds(22% of my body weight) than it has been to quit smoking.

badgirl
08-15-2005, 11:38 PM
Braincase,Iam not picking on fat kid, if the kid choses to be fat so be it.

Next about every tax payer paying my medical bills cause i get cancer and the insurance company won't pay,I'd call BS on that one, how does anyone know without a fact that smoking is the only reason people get lung cancer? Sure it may increase your chances but it is still part of the body just like getting cancer other places in your body, I put on the forms when it asks if I am a smoker I say yes, if they don't want to cover future problems related to smoking why would they insure me to begin with?

As far as my family watching me suffer, well I'd say when someone is so fat they can't breath or go out with their family and do anything that involves anything physical, well i'd say the family also suffers.

I am not picking on fat people, I am saying it is by choice they are fat, as I stated before, the thyroid, genetic card doesn't play well with me.

If your fat, sorry but its your own fault. period.

joesomebody
08-15-2005, 11:46 PM

Next about every tax payer paying my medical bills cause i get cancer and the insurance company won't pay,I'd call BS on that one, how does anyone know without a fact that smoking is the only reason people get lung cancer? Sure it may increase your chances but it is still part of the body just like getting cancer other places in your body, I put on the forms when it asks if I am a smoker I say yes, if they don't want to cover future problems related to smoking why would they insure me to begin with?

As far as my family watching me suffer, well I'd say when someone is so fat they can't breath or go out with their family and do anything that involves anything physical, well i'd say the family also suffers.

I am not picking on fat people, I am saying it is by choice they are fat, as I stated before, the thyroid, genetic card doesn't play well with me.

If your fat, sorry but its your own fault. period.Exactly...

badgirl
08-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Oh and another thing about the insurance topic, why would a insurance company refuse to pay for lung cancer and it go to the taxpayers when insurance will pay for someone having their stomach stapled if the dr says someone is so fat it is causing health problems? I don't think insurance companies should pay for that surgery, if they do that for people cause of health reasons why don't they pay for a rehab for smokers to go who wants to quit smoking to stop future health problems.

The people who get these surgeries are people who are too damn lazy to quit eating and start exercising, why should insurance companies pick up the bill for it?

luv
08-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Oh and another thing about the insurance topic, why would a insurance company refuse to pay for lung cancer and it go to the taxpayers when insurance will pay for someone having their stomach stapled if the dr says someone is so fat it is causing health problems? I don't think insurance companies should pay for that surgery, if they do that for people cause of health reasons why don't they pay for a rehab for smokers to go who wants to quit smoking to stop future health problems.

The people who get these surgeries are people who are too damn lazy to quit eating and start exercising, why should insurance companies pick up the bill for it?
My best friend's mom weighed 400 lbs. She was under a doctors care for years. She opted to have her stomach stapled even though her husbands insurance would NOT cover the expense. She ate 1400 calories a day, did water aerobics at St John's, was on medication, and had her stomach stapled. She lost hardly any weight, and in fact died trying. She was thin as a kid, teenager, and young adult. She did not change her eating habits and she did nor know why the weight came on. Are there ZERO exceptions to your 'Fat is a choice" rule?

luv
08-16-2005, 12:25 AM
I am not saying that people aren't fat due to overeating and laziness. That is a MAJORITY of the problem. I do not like people assuming that is EVERYONE'S problem though. That just isn't the case.

badgirl
08-16-2005, 12:27 AM
My best friend's mom weighed 400 lbs. She was under a doctors care for years. She opted to have her stomach stapled even though her husbands insurance would NOT cover the expense. She ate 1400 calories a day, did water aerobics at St John's, was on medication, and had her stomach stapled. She lost hardly any weight, and in fact died trying. She was thin as a kid, teenager, and young adult. She did not change her eating habits and she did nor know why the weight came on. Are there ZERO exceptions to your 'Fat is a choice" rule?
My sister in law weighed over 300 lbs and she had her stomach stapled she is now smaller than me, I worked on a med surg floor at a hospital and the insurance did indeed cover the procedure if the dr said it was a critical health problem that the person needed it done, I saw several what they called "morbid obesity" patients.

No there are no exceptions to the rule, just as you said how you lost weight on the pill the dr gave you, if a person could lose weight with the pill why can they not lose weight without them? what was you doing different? did they make you eat less, be more active as in cleaning your house or just zooming around burning calories? If they worked than it is not impossible to lose.

If the person has the willpower to do everything possible to lose weight than IMO it can be done.

Well I guess there could be an exception if a person was paralyzed and couldn't get out of bed and gained the weight from lack of exercise.

luv
08-16-2005, 12:29 AM

If your fat, sorry but its your own fault. period.
I don't even understand why this is such a big issue. No one should have to defend themselves for smoking when they know the risks and quitting can be hard for some and easy for others. No one should have to defend themselves for being overweight when they know the risks and losing weight is hard for some and easy for others. A fat girl got on to people for smoking, so now we pick on her?

badgirl
08-16-2005, 12:33 AM
I don't even understand why this is such a big issue. No one should have to defend themselves for smoking when they know the risks and quitting can be hard for some and easy for others. No one should have to defend themselves for being overweight when they know the risks and losing weight is hard for some and easy for others. A fat girl got on to people for smoking, so now we pick on her?
No, its like someone said in a previous post that people need to fix their own problems before trying to fix someone elses and I put her in that catagory. Unless of course she dont see that she has a problem and that her weight will never cause any health problems.

luv
08-16-2005, 12:34 AM
My sister in law weighed over 300 lbs and she had her stomach stapled she is now smaller than me, I worked on a med surg floor at a hospital and the insurance did indeed cover the procedure if the dr said it was a critical health problem that the person needed it done, I saw several what they called "morbid obesity" patients.

No there are no exceptions to the rule, just as you said how you lost weight on the pill the dr gave you, if a person could lose weight with the pill why can they not lose weight without them? what was you doing different? did they make you eat less, be more active as in cleaning your house or just zooming around burning calories? If they worked than it is not impossible to lose.

If the person has the willpower to do everything possible to lose weight than IMO it can be done.

Well I guess there could be an exception if a person was paralyzed and couldn't get out of bed and gained the weight from lack of exercise.
As I stated in a previous post on this thread. I was on medication that helped me lose weight. I was becoming dependent on it which I didn't like. I chose to stop taking that pill due to financial reasons as well. I did not change what I was doing activity-wise as what I was doing while taking this pill. The pill increased my metabolism. When I first started taking it, I could feel the hair on my head grow (so to speak). Then I got used to it and was very tired and fatigued on days I forgot to take the pill. I am currently trying to lose weight. Yes, it may come easy for some, but definitely not for everyone. Same with smoking. Some people can quit cold turkey and never look back, but for some it is very difficult.

luv
08-16-2005, 12:37 AM

So should my friends dad, who is still paying for some of his wife's surgery even afte her death sue the hospital or insurance company for not paying for it? And what do I tell my best friend. Your mom was fat and lazy, so she deserved to die? That it was her choice? She didn't try hard enough?

badgirl
08-16-2005, 12:38 AM
As I stated in a previous post on this thread. I was on medication that helped me lose weight. I was becoming dependent on it which I didn't like. I chose to stop taking that pill due to financial reasons as well. I did not change what I was doing activity-wise as what I was doing while taking this pill. The pill increased my metabolism. When I first started taking it, I could feel the hair on my head grow (so to speak). Then I got used to it and was very tired and fatigued on days I forgot to take the pill. I am currently trying to lose weight. Yes, it may come easy for some, but definitely not for everyone. Same with smoking. Some people can quit cold turkey and never look back, but for some it is very difficult.
i totally agree with what your saying, but the person who choses to quit and starts back is lack of willpower the same with losing weight, yes it probably is the same for losing weight easier for some than others. I have troble gaining weight and people says oh yea thats a problem I wouldn't care to have" well when I lose too much I don't like the way I look and it is as bad being too skinny as too fat when you don't like the way you look. I can gain weight by drinking boost and eating like a pig but if I gain 5 lbs and work my ass off all week at work and don't eat much its all gone by the end of the week.

luv
08-16-2005, 12:41 AM
i totally agree with what your saying, but the person who choses to quit and starts back is lack of willpower the same with losing weight, yes it probably is the same for losing weight easier for some than others. I have troble gaining weight and people says oh yea thats a problem I wouldn't care to have" well when I lose too much I don't like the way I look and it is as bad being too skinny as too fat when you don't like the way you look. I can gain weight by drinking boost and eating like a pig but if I gain 5 lbs and work my ass off all week at work and don't eat much its all gone by the end of the week.
I eat two meals per day, sometimes three. I tend to eat a little chocolate during that time of the month, but nothing big. I work out 3 times a week for an hour each. I walk on my breaks and lunches at work. I will NOT take pills. Pills are not the answer. Tell, me what am I doing wrong? Why am I not losing weight?

luv
08-16-2005, 12:46 AM
I am done. I don't care if people smoke, that's their choice. I can be around my friends who smoke without much of a problem. I don't like to read about how people assume that everyone that is overweight is overweight for the same reason. I tend to take things very personally when it comes to weight, so I don't need to be reading this thread if it upsets me. I've given more than my 2 cents which peopl probably would have given me change for. Badgirl, I'm sorry you have a problem with fat people telling you why not to smoke. I thank you for the offers you have made on this thread. I hope nothing I've said has been taken personal by anyone.

badgirl
08-16-2005, 12:48 AM
I eat two meals per day, sometimes three. I tend to eat a little chocolate during that time of the month, but nothing big. I work out 3 times a week for an hour each. I walk on my breaks and lunches at work. I will NOT take pills. Pills are not the answer. Tell, me what am I doing wrong? Why am I not losing weight?

what are you eating for meals?

Why not drink a slim fast in the morning and one at lunch and have a low calorie meal for dinner? Drink a LOT of water. I couldn't tell you why your not losing. When I gave birth the biggest I ever got was 159 lbs, and in one month I was back in a size 8 jeans in 3 mos I was back down to a size 6, it wasn't a healthy way that I lost it, it didn't involve any illegal drugs either,but I swore I'd never wear a 2 digit size jeans and other than right after birth I never have cause if I see I need to lose as I said I just quit eating and drink lots of water, if I do want to just have the taste of something I'll eat unsalted, unbuttered popcorn, after a day or two without eating anything you will lose your appatite to eat anything and have to make yourself start eating again.

badgirl
08-16-2005, 12:49 AM
I am done. I don't care if people smoke, that's their choice. I can be around my friends who smoke without much of a problem. I don't like to read about how people assume that everyone that is overweight is overweight for the same reason. I tend to take things very personally when it comes to weight, so I don't need to be reading this thread if it upsets me. I've given more than my 2 cents which peopl probably would have given me change for. Badgirl, I'm sorry you have a problem with fat people telling you why not to smoke. I thank you for the offers you have made on this thread. I hope nothing I've said has been taken personal by anyone.
Well I hope nothing has hurt your feelings Luv2rite, I wouldn't do that on purpose to anyone and nothing has been taken personally.

badgirl
08-16-2005, 02:18 AM
I'd love to pay that for a pack of smokes.
Well do it then :rolleyes:

badgirl
08-16-2005, 02:19 AM
If I found a doctor who said I was genetically predisposed to alcoholism, would that excuse my DUIs?

I opened the beers, I swallowed them. Everyone has different struggles. I don't care what you are or aren't genetically predisposed to. If you're fine with being a drunk, or a smoker, or a fatass... by God, be it. I don't give a shit. But don't cry to me about how it's not your fault and you have no control over it.
ding ding ding folks we have a winner. I finally agree with you Endelt, hmmm thats kinda scarry. :p

Jenson71
08-16-2005, 02:49 AM
I'd love to pay that for a pack of smokes.

They're much cheaper up here. Box of Marlboros for 2.65 at my store.

huskerdooz
08-16-2005, 03:04 AM

Who said anything about kissing?

badgirl
08-16-2005, 05:02 AM
Who said anything about kissing?
ROFL yea without the kissing, Iowainan, who would you rather have sex with if there was no kissing involved and why would you pick the one you pick? :hmmm:

Saulbadguy
08-16-2005, 05:39 AM
I see no problem listening to a fat person lecture me on the dangers of smoking. Perhaps that person is an expert in that area, and is obviously not an expert in the weight control area. If she was lecturing me on weight loss, I probably wouldn't take her advice.

badgirl
08-16-2005, 05:42 AM
I see no problem listening to a fat person lecture me on the dangers of smoking. Perhaps that person is an expert in that area, and is obviously not an expert in the weight control area. If she was lecturing me on weight loss, I probably wouldn't take her advice.
what if someone with a cigerette hanging out of their mouth was lecturing you on the health issues of being overweight, and was an expert in the weight control area would you listen to them and take them seriously?

I'd bet you'd laugh and say look whos talking about health issues.

Saulbadguy
08-16-2005, 06:05 AM
what if someone with a cigerette hanging out of their mouth was lecturing you on the health issues of being overweight, and was an expert in the weight control area would you listen to them and take them seriously?

I'd bet you'd laugh and say look whos talking about health issues.
If they were trim, why shouldn't I listen to them? Weight control and smoking aren't related.

badgirl
08-16-2005, 06:11 AM
If they were trim, why shouldn't I listen to them? Weight control and smoking aren't related.
They are as far as both carrying major health problems in the long run.
Wouldn't you feel she should be worrying about her own health concerns first instead of worrying about other peoples and telling them what to do.

As I said in my thread starter, I had a nutritionist telling me how to eat right when I was pregnant with my daughter and I swear this woman must have weighed 250 pounds. I always thought that was weird, she worked in a Drs office and telling me what I should eat to stay healthy for myself and the baby, and I'm sure she knew what she was talking about but I wondered why she didn't apply that to her own life especially being in a medical field and knowing the risks of being overweight.

Saulbadguy
08-16-2005, 06:14 AM
They are as far as both carrying major health problems in the long run.
Wouldn't you feel she should be worrying about her own health concerns first instead of worrying about other peoples and telling them what to do.

As I said in my thread starter, I had a nutritionist telling me how to eat right when I was pregnant with my daughter and I swear this woman must have weighed 250 pounds. I always thought that was weird, she worked in a Drs office and telling me what I should eat to stay healthy for myself and the baby, and I'm sure she knew what she was talking about but I wondered why she didn't apply that to her own life especially being in a medical field and knowing the risks of being overweight.
Heh. Thats not all that uncommon. I can give lots of good advice, I just can't take any of it for myself.

To have knowledge of a subject does not require you to use the knowledge. I know alot about weight loss after reading alot of studies, researching lots of diets, etc...I just can't apply any of those sucessfully to my lifestyle. :shrug: I don't go around and tell people how they should eat, though. That would be a tad hypocritical..unless it was my JOB! (a nutritionist, for example)

badgirl
08-16-2005, 06:19 AM
Heh. Thats not all that uncommon. I can give lots of good advice, I just can't take any of it for myself.

To have knowledge of a subject does not require you to use the knowledge. I know alot about weight loss after reading alot of studies, researching lots of diets, etc...I just can't apply any of those sucessfully to my lifestyle. :shrug: I don't go around and tell people how they should eat, though. That would be a tad hypocritical..unless it was my JOB! (a nutritionist, for example)

Bingo, hypocritical is what I was speaking of the woman in my thread on tv telling everyone about the health risks of smoking when she herself was at risk for health problems.

I know what you mean about not taking my own advice I do the same things, but I would feel embarrassed to sit with a cigerette hanging out of my mouth and tell someone they are at risks if they keep smoking even if it was my job, thats the same as the fat nutritionist telling me how to eat when she was sitting there hanging off her chair, I would be embarrassed,and feel like a dumbass even if I did know what I was talking about. I think if being a nutritionist was my job I would try my best to stay in shape so it would also look like I know what I was talking about.

Saulbadguy
08-16-2005, 06:52 AM
When I worked at the daycare, one of the mothers was a nutritionist. She was in good shape,but when we had our "packed lunch days" where the children would bring in their own lunch, her kid would have:

1. A tube of Ritz crackers
2. A can of cheese whiz
3. A can of Surge (which we would take away and let him have after naptime)
4. A few cookies

Yep.

oldandslow
08-16-2005, 07:08 AM
I can see where you are coming from...it is hypocritical for sure. Obesity and smoking are huge health issues. I believe both are in the top 3 "killers" in the US if I'm not mistaken. Both are partially responsible for the skyrocketing health insurance premiums in our country too. It also seems to me that more people are aware of the dangers of smoking and are quitting(I've been smoke free for 10 years now!!! Best thing I ever did for myself BTW) ...but it seems like more people are getting larger, portions at restaurants are larger, 5 and 6 year olds are obese, more my students are larger, and people generally seem to be unaware of all the health problems that obesity causes.

The part concerning health care and insurance premiums drives me crazy. Smokers do NOT cost more to take care of than non-smokers. Indeed, they die sooner and are less likely to utilize geriatric care (the real money pit) than people who refrain.

The entire tobacco settlement was based on the "health care" lie.

I am a non smoker. I hate second hand smoke and will get in someone's face about it. However, if a person wants to kill themselves and it does not involve me breathing their stench, go ahead.

BigRedChief
08-16-2005, 07:13 AM
The part concerning health care and insurance premiums drives me crazy. Smokers do NOT cost more to take care of than non-smokers. Indeed, they die sooner and are less likely to utilize geriatric care (the real money pit) than people who refrain.

The entire tobacco settlement was based on the "health care" lie.

I am a non smoker. I hate second hand smoke and will get in someone's face about it. However, if a person wants to kill themselves and it does not involve me breathing their stench, go ahead.

Are you just stupid or a moron or some kind of conspiracy buff? :hmmm:

One frigging hospital stay on a ventilator cost $250,000. A COPD patient can expect to go on a ventilator at least 4 times before they die of the disease. Thats not even counting respiratory treatments 4x a day. Meds. O2. The average John Doe never sees the ICU in their life.

oldandslow
08-16-2005, 07:18 AM
Right...

This week's National Journal....

"Economists have found that smoking, if anything, reduces the cost of government programs, because smokers die younger and have fewer years to collect health benefits. Smoking is bad for smokers, but it has done state coffers no harm at all." (page 2503)

This is one of the best and least biased journals in the US.

Rukdafaidas
08-16-2005, 07:22 AM
One frigging hospital stay on a ventilator cost $250,000.
Here's a good question for you. Can you tell me why it costs $250,000 to be hooked up to freaking air machine?

BigRedChief
08-16-2005, 07:26 AM
Here's a good question for you. Can you tell me why it costs $250,000 to be hooked up to freaking air machine?
One on one care. One RN for you only. One Respiratory Therapist for 3 patients. The machines cost about $125,000 these days. Constant mointering and someone to watch the monitors. Dietians, social workers, specially trained houskeepers, constant blood and lab work, X-Rays and meds.

BigRedChief
08-16-2005, 07:28 AM
Right...

This week's National Journal....

"Economists have found that smoking, if anything, reduces the cost of government programs, because smokers die younger and have fewer years to collect health benefits. Smoking is bad for smokers, but it has done state coffers no harm at all." (page 2503)

This is one of the best and least biased journals in the US.

So I guess your not a moron but a conspiracy buff. Okay, got it.:)

Rukdafaidas
08-16-2005, 07:29 AM
One on one care. One RN for you only. One Respiratory Therapist for 3 patients. The machines cost about $125,000 these days. Constant mointering and someone to watch the monitors. Dietians, social workers, specially trained houskeepers, constant blood and lab work, X-Rays and meds.
Do they get to keep the machine?

BigRedChief
08-16-2005, 07:31 AM
Do they get to keep the machine?

Trust me if you have ever had that tube down your throat...you don't want to ever see one of those again.:p

One dude in a car wreck stayed 2 months and his bill was over $5 mil.

Rukdafaidas
08-16-2005, 07:46 AM
One dude in a car wreck stayed 2 months and his bill was over $5 mil.
If I was in the medical industry, I don't think I would brag about this. It's like a car salesman bragging about selling a broken down Yugo to an old lady for $50,000.
Hospitals are the biggest crooks in the world today.

BigRedChief
08-16-2005, 07:51 AM
If I was in the medical industry, I don't think I would brag about this. It's like a car salesman bragging about selling a broken down Yugo to an old lady for $50,000.

Depends on how you look at it. Yeah they overcharge you for everything if you have insurance but why do they do that?

Because of the uninsured. The smokers who don't have any money or insurance. The homeless. The unemployed. They still get sick, they still get hospitalized. Who pays? The government only pays part. In the end its you that pays through your tax $'s and higher insurance premiums.

BigRedChief
08-16-2005, 07:57 AM

I got out of the Respiratory Therapy field 6 years ago and went into the I.T. field.

I lost count of how many lives I personally saved. I lost count after a 100 or so. I dealt with life and death daily. I also have too frigging many people die on me which is why I ended up leaving the field. So I don't know how many Yugo salesman can say they saved over a 100 lives but I'm guessing not alot.

Rukdafaidas
08-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Sorry, but there's no way in hell you can justify the prices hospitals charge people who have no choice but to accept the charge.
In the example you used above, the guy who paid $5 million for 2 months worth of care, the cost breaks down to $83,333 a night. He ought to own a wing of that hospital when he leaves.
My wife works in a hospital and she can go to the hospital pharmacy and buy a couple hundred Tylenol for $2. However, if she was admitted to the hospital, that same Tylenol now costs her $8 PER PILL.
We could debate this for years, but you'll never change my mind, they're crooks.

BigRedChief
08-16-2005, 08:07 AM
Sorry, but there's no way in hell you can justify the prices hospitals charge people who have no choice but to accept the charge.
In the example you used above, the guy who paid $5 million for 2 months worth of care, the cost breaks down to $83,333 a night. He ought to own a wing of that hospital when he leaves.
My wife works in a hospital and she can go to the hospital pharmacy and buy a couple hundred Tylenol for $2. However, if she was admitted to the hospital, that same Tylenol now costs her $8 PER PILL.
We could debate this for years, but you'll never change my mind, they're crooks.

Blame the system. Blame the hospitals. But don't blame the people that are there because they want to help people. These hospital workers are putting their lifes at risk due to exposure to diseases and such to help people. They deserve better than to be labled sleezballs ripping off grandma.

Rukdafaidas
08-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Blame the system. Blame the hospitals. But don't blame the people that are there because they want to help people. These hospital workers are putting their lifes at risk due to exposure to diseases and such to help people. They deserve better than to be labled sleezballs ripping off grandma.
I totally agree with you here. I'm definitely not blaming the employees. My son was lifeflighted to Children's Mercy hospital in KC the day he was born. He/we received the best care imagineable while under their care. The nurses were absolute SAINTS. The doctors were fantastic as was everyone else we dealt with at the hospital. Luckily for us, we did have insurance. The bill was a 1/2 million dollars and we would have been forever in debt. I'll never forget those people that helped save my son's life, but I still don't think it's right for the hospital to charge as much as they do, just because they can.
Doctor's used to save people's lives for a chicken or whatever else the people could afford to give them. Thanks for the service you put in to help save the lives you did. Please understand I wasn't attacking you or hospital staff personally. I wouldn't make it in the profession either. While at Children's Mercy I got to know some of the families of the children in the hospital. A couple of them lost their child and it was almost like losing one of my own. I don't know how these people, specifically the nurses, can handle the stress, but I'm greatful they can.