PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: NFL should tell T.O. his act won't play here

tk13
08-14-2005, 04:11 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12378353.htm

NFL should tell T.O. his act won’t play here

JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

A couple of weeks ago, Jerome Stanley, a respected NFL and NBA agent, called me just to say I was foolish for supporting Terrell Owens.

“I thought you were smarter than that, Jason,” said Stanley, the rep for my least-favorite NFL player, Keyshawn Johnson.

Last week, a representative of the NFL players’ association told me that he’d lost respect for Owens when the Philly receiver started criticizing Donovan McNabb.

“You don’t go after your quarterback, Jason,” the NFLPA rep said.

Friday night, at halftime of the Chiefs-Vikings exhibition game, I chatted with former league MVP Rich Gannon.

“You can’t have a guy like that on your team,” Gannon said of Owens.

I give up. Generally speaking, I can defend just about anything. I don’t give up on my positions easily. Take for instance, Jeff George. The Chicago Bears lost their starting quarterback, Rex Grossman, because of a broken ankle Friday night. You and I both know the Bears should sign George if they want to make a playoff run this season.

I can’t defend Terrell Owens anymore. He lost me last week when he shot basketball, pumped iron and did sit-ups in his driveway while TV cameras recorded all the action. He lost me with his continued attacks on McNabb.

Terrell Owens has gone too far.

He has every right to demand a new contract. His performance in last season’s Super Bowl was remarkable. Players with half his talent own contracts twice as lucrative as the one T.O. signed with the Eagles a year ago.

Owens is better than Marvin Harrison, the Indianapolis receiver who inked a deal with more than $20 million guaranteed. Owens received $9 million to sign with the Eagles. Yes, he foolishly agreed to the deal. He picked the wrong agent.

But I support T.O.’s right to try to finagle a new deal. NFL management demands pay cuts, so why can’t the players demand pay raises?

It’s just that I never imagined that Owens and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, would look this sleazy and this silly going about getting one. I assumed they’d be somewhat savvy about it.

Instead, they’ve alienated the entire National Football League. McNabb, one of the league’s most popular players and someone who campaigned for T.O. to join the Eagles, has been damaged by Owens’ immaturity.

T.O. thinks he’s Rambo, capable of taking on the whole league.

It won’t work.

He’s moving into a dangerous area. You could make an argument that NFL owners would be wise to squash Owens and send a message to the rest of the players. If Owens’ theatrics work, if his media blitz and attack on McNabb lead to the Eagles trading him to the Atlanta Falcons, every player dissatisfied with his contract will go the T.O. route.

The NFL should blackball Owens. Run him out.

More and more NFL players are complaining about the control the league has over the expression of individuality. The players don’t understand that that control is one of the main reasons the league is so popular as a television force.

If the league shuts down Owens, it might shut up the rest of the whiners. At some point, the Eagles are going to make an aggressive move against Owens and claim that he breached his contract. If things don’t improve after T.O.’s one-week suspension, the Eagles are going to try to get rid of him and get back a significant piece of the signing bonus they handed Owens.

When (if) that happens, the key will be what other NFL owners do. T.O. can’t bounce to another team and land a fat contract. Owens can’t become the new Dennis Rodman. If T.O. gets traded and/or lands a better contract, the whole league will live to regret it.

jspchief
08-14-2005, 08:18 AM
Wow. I never expected such a smart article to come from Whitlock's typewriter. I agree on all points.

It's amazing what JW is capable of when he's not trying so hard to be controversial.

Bowser
08-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Wow. I never expected such a smart article to come from Whitlock's typewriter. I agree on all points.

It's amazing what JW is capable of when he's not trying so hard to be controversial.

Agreed.

And, I am of the belief that the Eagles aren't going to do jack with his contract this year. He'll either honor it and play, or sit. His attacks of McNabb have killed any desire that the Eagles might have had to redo his contract.

Whitlock comparing T.O. to Rodman was a nice touch, as well.

C-Mac
08-14-2005, 08:39 AM
"The NFL should blackball Owens. Run him out."

This should have happend before now, but at least Whitlock is finally seeing what we as fans are seeing.....someone who is making a mockery of the game of football and sending a very poor message about disrespect with it.

StcChief
08-14-2005, 08:39 AM
About time the TO's of the world get what they deserve, Nothing.

Make an example of him,
Run him out of NFL football,

T.O. go to CFL, sell insurance or used cars. Who cares

IF you can't honor your contract, you signed it.
Leave the game.

No one cares about your whiney a$$.

You are a cancer to the game.

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 09:08 AM
TO can FO.

Phobia
08-14-2005, 09:13 AM
I used to think TO's antics cutesy and entertaining. I felt he justified his eccentric behavior by producing results on the field.

This has been the thanks I get for supporting his crap. Inexcusable. What a complete joke he's become. Hopefully, the Eagles and the NFL play hardball with the guy but they won't.

Bowser
08-14-2005, 09:32 AM
I used to think TO's antics cutesy and entertaining. I felt he justified his eccentric behavior by producing results on the field.

This has been the thanks I get for supporting his crap. Inexcusable. What a complete joke he's become. Hopefully, the Eagles and the NFL play hardball with the guy but they won't.

If the Eagles fold, imo, it will be because of the NFL and the union crying about how one of its stars are being "disrespected". The Laurie family isn't exactly known for shelling out big bucks on a whim. Up until a couple of years ago, they were consistantly at the bottom of the league in cap dollars used.

TO and Rosenhaus know just what they are doing. They're not playing the Eagles or the union, they're playing Tagliabue.

C-Mac
08-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Below is a contact page, so that if one desires to personally let the Eagles Organization know to stand firm against TO.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/fanzone/contactus.jsp

jettio
08-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Whitlock's proposal would violate antitrust laws, it is not as if TO has been suspended leaguewide by some provision of the collective bargaining agreement.

TO has always been a drama queen, I think his grandma did not let him go outside much when he was a kid and he is a bit of a narcissistic social retard.

He went to the Eagles a notoriously frugal team, because he wanted to play for a champion. Andy Reid would even do stuff like bench players in the last couple games of the year to keep them from making incentives.

The Eagles and TO deserve one another, the each made a deal with another devil and now they are both on the verge of it blowing up on them after one good year.

TO has a right to seek a better contract, but he should let his agent do the work and not try to make himself the center of attention.

But again TO has always been a weirdo and the Eagles have always been chintzy with their players.

Nothing to see here.

bishop_74
08-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Andy Reid would even do stuff like bench players in the last couple games of the year to keep them from making incentives.

Where did you get this info? That doesn't sound right. It seems to me it would be very difficult to win games without your best players on the field.

jspchief
08-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Whitlock's proposal would violate antitrust laws, it is not as if TO has been suspended leaguewide by some provision of the collective bargaining agreement.

Not if the league doesn't actually come out say "blackball T.O.". If the owners all decided individually to not cater to this piece of sh*t, it's not technically in violation of any law. Unfortunately, dickheads like Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones are more concerned with their egos than the overall health of the league, and will give in where other teams have tried to make a stand.

jettio
08-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Where did you get this info? That doesn't sound right. It seems to me it would be very difficult to win games without your best players on the field.

At the end of the year when the playoff seedings were secured.

I believe one end of year Monday Night game vs. Tampa Bay when it was already set that Tampa would be at the Eagles in round one, he did not even have several of the veteran starters suit up.

There was some concern about injuries, but it also happened that in choosing which players would not suit up and which starters would play anyway, several of the ones that were benched missed the chance to meet incentives in their contracts.

The Eagles and the Patriots are more cutthroat with the players than the other teams, Owens should have known that when he decided that he wanted to play there.

jettio
08-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Not if the league doesn't actually come out say "blackball T.O.". If the owners all decided individually to not cater to this piece of sh*t, it's not technically in violation of any law. Unfortunately, dickheads like Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones are more concerned with their egos than the overall health of the league, and will give in where other teams have tried to make a stand.

TO's nonsense is not doing anything to any overall health of the league.

It is just one drama queen dealing with a chintzy organization and the media paying more attention to it than deserved.