PDA

View Full Version : Debriefing: Preseason opener huge for many Chiefs

jAZ
08-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Below is the article from the Star just before the game... each of these guys were named as players which the preseason were "huge".

For those who got to watch, how did these guys do?

Craphonso Thorpe
Jeris McIntyre
John Booth
Richard Smith
Kevin Sampson
Marc Boerigter
Chris Horn
Scott Fujita
Benny Sapp

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/12367398.htm

Preseason opener huge for many Chiefs

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

MINNEAPOLIS — For proof that preseason games mean different things to different players, check out tonight’s meeting between the Chiefs and Vikings at the Metrodome.

For established Chiefs like Trent Green and Eric Hicks, the game is like crossing a minefield. They want to get to the other side without a significant injury.

For many others, it’s so much more, such as the chance to win a job.

Tonight’s game, the preseason opener, provides the Chiefs with their first opportunity at player evaluation against outside competition. They declined their customary joint practice session with the Vikings this year.

Coach Dick Vermeil is less interested in team achievements and more interested in individual accomplishments.

“We’ve got to see them play in a live situation, tackle full speed, catch the ball full speed,” Vermeil said. “That’s what the preseason games are for, to execute the fundamentals in an intense environment. Whether you win the game or not doesn’t make that much difference.”

The competition for jobs is intense at a few positions, wide receiver in particular. Rookie Craphonso Thorpe and other players with little or no NFL experience — Jeris McIntyre, John Booth and Richard Smith — are trying to win a roster spot.

The Chiefs have been encouraged by their play at training camp, but that’s meaningless if they fail tonight.

“I want to see that in a game,” Vermeil said. “None of these guys have been hit. Some kids, young in this league, in the first preseason game or two are a little bit timid. Some of them don’t know what it means to play the game fast when they’re not the so-called primary receiver. They think they’re not going to get the ball, and all of a sudden the quarterback reads the coverage and throws the ball, and he’s going half-speed.

“Chances are you won’t stay here very long doing that. You see this sometimes under pressure better than you do on your own practice field.”

Tonight’s game is crucial for other Chiefs as well:

■ Kevin Sampson. Vermeil awarded the vacant starting right tackle spot to Sampson, who has given the Chiefs every reason to believe he can handle the job. But there’s plenty of time to switch to Jordan Black if Sampson doesn’t play well tonight and in the subsequent three exhibition games.

His opponent tonight should be defensive end Kenechi Udeze, Minnesota’s first-round draft pick last year. Udeze, who had five sacks as a rookie, will provide Sampson a strong test.

■ Marc Boerigter. The Chiefs and Boerigter, a wide receiver, believe he is back to where he was last year before tearing up his knee during the preseason. But he won’t know for sure until he gets back in a game.

“The big thing for me will be the preseason games,” he said. “Going back in there and taking hits will be a big step. I feel comfortable about taking hits. I’m not tentative with my knee. It’s healthy. It’s just a matter of getting back into that live action.

“For my own piece of mind, it will probably take a game to know for sure. But I feel I’m there. My speed is definitely back. You always feel fast but you never know until you see yourself on film. I squashed that pretty much the first day.”

■ Chris Horn. Like Boerigter, Horn can go a long way toward cementing a spare receiving job with a strong preseason. He doesn’t have ideal speed, but Horn is the Chiefs’ best pure receiver.

He is also the ultimate underdog after coming from first tiny Rocky Mountain College and then the Arena League. Vermeil has a soft spot for players like Horn.

“For someone to replace Chris Horn, they’re going to have to do it the old-fashioned way,” he said. “It’s hard to replace a veteran who’s been doing a good job. The way a lot of young kids do it is to be just outstanding on special teams and still be productive or a guy you feel secure about playing a position in a game.”

Some game snaps should be available for spare receivers. The Chiefs don’t plan to make a full-time player of starter Samie Parker. Some of that work will go to Dante Hall, some to Boerigter, Horn or others who might make the roster.

■ Scott Fujita. The emergence of several young linebackers could squeeze Fujita, a former starter, out of a job. He could still persuade the Chiefs to keep him, but time is running low.

He had arthroscopic surgery in April, and that makes his mission more difficult.

“It’s been about four months post-op now,” he said. “They said it would probably be four, five months before I really started to notice a difference. There are certain areas where I’m not quite there yet.

“It’s just the first preseason game, so I have some time. But there’s always a sense of urgency to get back on the field.”

■ Benny Sapp. The Chiefs have Sapp playing as their third cornerback rather than either of two accomplished veterans, Ashley Ambrose and Dewayne Washington. He got off to a slow start in camp but has played better lately.

That trend must continue tonight if the Chiefs stick with Sapp rather than make the move to one of the veterans.

Rain Man
08-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Craphonso Thorpe - Looked very sharp. I was impressed.

Jeris McIntyre - Did he play? I don't remember him.

John Booth - Didn't show much, but my expectations of him were increasing.

Richard Smith - Not impressive, but did have a few catches

Kevin Sampson - Ruled. I feel good about RT.

Marc Boerigter - Looked good.

Chris Horn - Don't remember much about him.

Scott Fujita - Looked good on special teams.

Benny Sapp - Looked good in run support. I didn't see him much in pass support, though some have said he was having trouble early on, while my sport bar was still showing curling highlights.

jspchief
08-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Craphonso Thorpe- looked good, I expect to see him on deep routes in the regular season.

Jeris McIntyre- Practice squad. He did nothing.

John Booth- Practice squad. Other than back to back false starts, he did nothing.

Richard Smith- Practice squad. His one chance he stepped out of bounds when he was wide open. Bad awareness IMO.

Kevin Sampson- Didn't see many runs to his side, but was excellent in pass coverage.

Marc Boerigter- Looked solid, but didn't get many looks. Blown coverage on the big kick runback.

Chris Horn- Couple drops, couple catches. He's probaly the last of the WRs worth keeping.

Scott Fujita- Considering he was facing third string offenses, he was pretty invisible. He also didn't look great on STs.

Benny Sapp- He looked really good. I think we'll see a lot of safety/nickel blitzes from him. This guy definately makes the team.

the Talking Can
08-14-2005, 06:56 PM
For those who got to watch, how did these guys do?

Craphonso Thorpe - played well, fast, good hands, needs work on route running....should make team, imho

Jeris McIntyre - can't say
John Booth - can't say
Richard Smith - can't say

Kevin Sampson - awesome...did not look like a 7th round pick, great technique, great pass protection..not sure about his run blocking

Marc Boerigter - looked good to me, but wasn't running with the #1s..made a couple of catches with good seperation..played special teams so should make roster

Chris Horn - dropped one which was unusual...I like him but he doesn't have the upside of Thorpe, it will tough for him to make it this year

Scott Fujita - don't remember...but Fox was so bad I remember thinking I'd rather start Fujita

Benny Sapp - blew a coverage, but had a sack...I like his attitude and he'll be a decent nickleback

Chan93lx50
08-14-2005, 07:48 PM
I really like Sapp, seems like the kid plays hard and when going for a tackle he seems go through the player, in other words he hits like a crazy Mofo