PDA

View Full Version : C. Carter: Plummer most overrated

Archie F. Swin
08-15-2005, 06:47 AM
Yahoo 2005 NFL preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cc-quarterbacks072905&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

I foresee a higher percentage of completions in 2005. Quarterbacks have really zeroed in on what the rules are – what defenses can and cannot do – and as a result, they will throw to their tight ends more frequently.

The NFL is getting much better athletes at the tight end position these days (see Antonio Gates). Also, the enforcement of the illegal contact rule has been a huge factor. Not being allowed to bump a guy after five yards made a huge difference for offenses last year. This season, the impact of the crackdown will be felt even more.

Here are the quarterbacks I'll be keeping an eye on this season:

Best in the business: Peyton Manning
He has great command of the Indianapolis Colts' offense, which supplies him with weapons all over the field. He has a stellar running back in Edgerrin James and he has an unbelievable cast of guys to throw to on a regular basis. His third receiver, Brandon Stokley, just might be his best receiver. He also has a talented tight end in Dallas Clark. All these things, and his command of that offense, really set him apart.

I think Peyton will put up big numbers again in 2005, and I believe this could be the year he might be even more successful because, defensively, the Colts have gotten better – and this might be the year he finally beats the Patriots. All he and the Colts really need is home-field advantage. Indianapolis is the team that scares the opposition more than anyone else.

Most underrated: Tom Brady
People get consumed with the numbers – 4,000 yards, 40 touchdown passes, etc. But the No. 1 stat is winning games. Right now, no quarterback in the game has been more successful than Brady.

Is Brady capable of amassing great numbers? Of course. The New England Patriots have a solid receiving corps and the ability to run the ball with Corey Dillon. But with the conditions they play in, the division they play in and the type of coach they have in Bill Belichick, I don't see Brady compiling Peyton-like numbers. It's not that important to him anyway. So what if he hasn't thrown for 4,000 yards in his career? He's won three Super Bowls. Which stat do you think he's happier with?

Adjusting to life without offensive coordinator Charlie Weis will be tough, but Brady is at the stage of his career where he can grow into the position a little more and take more command of the offense. He has been well-taught in the Patriots' scheme; its fine details have been ingrained in him. But don't underestimate Belichick's knowledge of the offense – or the rapport he has with Brady.

Most overrated: Jake Plummer
Mike Shanahan is putting too much faith in a quarterback who has shown little improvement over the years.

For me, it's always crucial that the guy who touches the ball on every play improves each season. Plummer was successful in leading Arizona to the playoffs in his second year, but how much better has he gotten since 1998?

I think that speaks volumes about Plummer's ability to learn the game and adapt. I believe he has ample talent. But given what Shanahan can do with the Denver Broncos' offense on a regular basis, there's no excuse for Plummer to not develop into one of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL.

Ready to break through: Carson Palmer
He reminds me of Troy Aikman, and he has talent surrounding him everywhere on offense. The Cincinnati Bengals have a very good offensive line – one that's really underrated, by the way – and an effective running back in Rudi Johnson. Also, I love the three-receiver set that the Bengals can put on the field.

The Bengals' biggest problem is that they play Pittsburgh and Baltimore twice a year. But if you look at what they've done the last two years, teams are starting to become a little more afraid of playing them because the Bengals aren't the beatable Bengals they used to be.

Rookie to watch: Jason Campbell
It's not Alex Smith. I don't like the situation the No. 1 pick is going into with the San Francisco 49ers. He's going to get knocked around a lot, and we know that all rookie quarterbacks struggle. Plus he's on the worst team in the NFL.

The kid to watch is Campbell, the second of the Washington Redskins' two first-round picks. They traded up to draft him as their quarterback for the future, but how distant is that future? Is it right now? Is it midseason? We do know that Patrick Ramsey has not worked out as Joe Gibbs' quarterback.

Campbell's situation is a little more intriguing because, ultimately, he could be just as good as Smith.

Backups to watch: Gus Frerotte and Jay Fiedler
Keep an eye on the A.J. Feeley situation with the Miami Dolphins, who basically have two backups battling to be the starter. I believe Frerotte will start, but neither quarterback will make it through the season healthy. The Dolphins will be an improved team, so whoever the QB is, he will have to step up and make some plays.

Also, look at Fiedler's situation with the New York Jets. Fiedler grew up on Long Island and decided to go home and play for the Jets. He's playing behind Chad Pennington, a quarterback whose style is a lot like his own. The Jets have developed an offense where Pennington, despite his lack of arm strength, can be very successful. I think that offense will be better suited for Fiedler than the one in Miami.

Biggest surprise: Aaron Brooks
I'm hoping it's Aaron Brooks. I hope he really steps up, plays up to his potential and stops the sporadic play that we're so accustomed to seeing from him with the New Orleans Saints.

He has major-league talent, and he always gives us glimpses of that talent in six or seven games each year. This season, I'm looking for a more consistent output from Brooks and for him to really take the Saints to the next level.

trndobrd
08-15-2005, 07:19 AM
"For me, it's always crucial that the guy who touches the ball on every play improves each season. Plummer was successful in leading Arizona to the playoffs in his second year, but how much better has he gotten since 1998?"

Then Dan Marino must have been an abysmal failure at QB.

On the other hand, it's hard to be overrated when nobody thinks he's any good to start with.

jidar1
08-15-2005, 07:21 AM
Yeah. Although saying Brady is underrated is complete BS at this point. Everybody is on Bradys nuts.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-15-2005, 07:26 AM
On the other hand, it's hard to be overrated when nobody thinks he's any good to start with.
point made... thread over.

Goapics1
08-15-2005, 07:29 AM
point made... thread over.
ROFL

Archie F. Swin
08-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Wait a minute!!...

that's my job