PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a coop... or at least a petition or something?

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-15-2005, 09:18 AM
...to let our voices be heard by Glass/Baird and company on this wonderful thing we call Royals baseball?

I know it won't do any good. So what. I want to let that dirty pack of bastards that run (into the ground) our beloved team that we aren't just gonna sit by and take take it with a smile. I know there isn't a lot we can really do to hurt their bottom line since ticket and merchandise sales aren't exactly through the roof as it is. Hurting their bottom line more would just make them tighten their asses/budgets even more anyway. Still.... I would just like to see a concerted effort by the all-too-polite fans of KC baseball to say hey dickheads, you need to stop embarrassing us or we'll just hold a bunch of burn Baird/Glass at the stake bonfires in the area and embarrass you back.

Maybe we could hold "pay for some players" fund-raiseing events since the bastard ownership won't do it, then we'll turn the money over to charity.

Thoughts?

BigRedChief
08-15-2005, 09:20 AM
I posted on this subject last week. Things changed for us when the fans voices became so loud that they had to listen and make a change. It won't be easy but you guys got some passion. Use it

Demonpenz
08-15-2005, 09:25 AM
At this point in time it's not so much about spending money its about talent management. We had all these number 1 draft picks and guys we got from the beltran trade and they haven't produced. Buck has been solid. I don't see who was out there that would have helped us be 500 this year. The angel berrora deal is a real black eye. We actually get a guy locked up for awhile and he decides he wants to stop getting better. We have some power arms in the pen next year dejesus will be one step closer to his prime. I just hope baird doesn't go out and sign jeff king or some other veterans just to make a push at 500

Bowser
08-15-2005, 09:28 AM
How is this for a coop? Will it do?

Sam
08-15-2005, 09:50 AM
I think they should move the team to another city and let 'em stink it up there for a while. The state legislature would probalby be more inclined to pass a stadium improvement bill if the money wasn't going to wasted on a losing team at the 'K'.

ChiefsCountry
08-15-2005, 09:55 AM
I think they should move the team to another city and let 'em stink it up there for a while. The state legislature would probalby be more inclined to pass a stadium improvement bill if the money wasn't going to wasted on a losing team at the 'K'.

Noob that isn't even a thought.

Chief Henry
08-15-2005, 09:58 AM

Don't be surprised if MLB announces a franchise in Vegas...Guess
what Glass would love todo. It would double or triple the value of the team dam near over night. Glass would then open up his wallett to get a
better team. Right now they're nothing more than the Walmart Royals.

DaWolf
08-15-2005, 10:00 AM
I dunno. I remember the Bengals started a MikeBrownSucks site or something like that and that created some buzz, but no real changes. I dunno what the fans can do outside of staying away from the games and making their voices heard through the talk shows and such.

I have always been in the give Baird a few years and see what he can do camp. Well it has now been 5 years, and our farm system is still not as well stocked as other teams are. I look at the A's who have been winning for years and they have talent coming out of their asses. Baird hasn't gotten it done. He'll argue that the farm system isn't as well stocked because we've got a lot of our "talent" up here in the majors. I'll argue that our "talent" here in the majors is generally overrated and sucks. This team can't hit, walk, run the bases, or field. This is a disaster of a plan. On top of that, all his managerial hires have been absolute disasters. Buck showalter was right there and he passed him over for a guy who takes showers in his uniform. Baird is a good guy but he's a scout, not a GM. He has no idea how to build a franchise.

I hope the losing continues if for no other reason than to force Glass to make a change. The only thing is, who does Glass get to replace Baird? Someone who can actually get the job done, or some retard?

Bob Dole
08-15-2005, 10:00 AM
The most recent photo available of beer me.

Bowser
08-15-2005, 10:03 AM
They need to overhaul their scouting department as soon as humanly possible. Only then will you see any amount of progress.

As it stands now, Baird is standing in the scapegoat line.

Sam
08-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Noob that isn't even a thought.

Haha, don't bet on it.

DaWolf
08-15-2005, 10:10 AM
They need to overhaul their scouting department as soon as humanly possible. Only then will you see any amount of progress.

They've overhauled it twice since Baird has taken over. It's his department, he's to blame...

Bowser
08-15-2005, 10:11 AM
They've overhauled it twice since Baird has taken over. It's his department, he's to blame...

I didn't realize that. That is pathetic.

DaWolf
08-15-2005, 10:30 AM
I didn't realize that. That is pathetic.
He made changes after he replaced Herk Robinson in 2000 and he hired, lasty year I think, another guy from the Angels to oversee scouting. In between all of this he's made a concerted effort to "change the culture" of the minors system trying to send instructors around and try and teach players in the system to take a disciplined approach at the plate. It sounds good. However the problem, as Posnanski pointed out in a recent article, is that plate discipline and patience is in general something a guy either has or doesn't have. He can learn to be smarter at the plate, but if a guy is aggressive and a hacker, he's gonna be that at the major league level. The Royals, instead of drafting guys who can draw walks and get on base, have been trying to teach guys to do that, and it isn't working.

The only saving grace for Baird is if these guys like Billy Butler, Lubanski, Huber, and Gordon pan out. That's where this team stands right now. Those guys have to all be good. Otherwise it's just an absolute lost cause.

What worries me is that I see these other teams like the Pirates or the Astros a few years ago bringing up their young pitchers and them being immediately good. But for us, our "can't miss" prospect Grienke has been average to bad, and everyone else keeps getting injured...

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-15-2005, 10:37 AM
No, there are no chickens in it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-15-2005, 10:40 AM
The most recent photo available of beer me.
I do resemle that remark... and photo........ except that I haven't spent my money on this product in any way in over a year now.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Do they have soup in that line because every Royals front office/scouting dept./coaching/player/ownership employee should be in it very soon.

ChiTown
08-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Dog Days..............................start in April for Royals fans.

I was talking to my buddy this morning who is a MLB scout. He says the Royals have talent, but they have been forced to put their talent in the big leagues vs. maturing them and bringing them on at the Minor League level. He said, he thinks the Royals have absolutely ruined guys like Greinke, Burgos and others, due to rushing them into the lineup, as well as the inability to coach them up. That's just his opinion.

I agree with DaWolf, in that if we don't see Butler, Huber, Gordon and a few others pan out (soon), Baird should be in serious trouble. Right or wrong, he's rolled the dice with the young'ins, and he's going to have to be held accountable. In addition, he's played his managerial hand twice now (Pena & Bell). If Bell continues to flop as a manager into 2006, that should be placed firmly in his lap. He didn't have to make a rash decision on a Manager, but he (IMO) did just that. I'm just not convinced that BB is the right guy to rebuild this organization. I think there were better choices out there, but they chose the guy they'd get the least amount of resistance from. JMHO

htismaqe
08-15-2005, 11:31 AM

As many eggs as the Royals have laid lately, I don't think it's big enough.

chiefqueen
08-15-2005, 11:33 AM
At this point in time it's not so much about spending money its about talent management. We had all these number 1 draft picks and guys we got from the beltran trade and they haven't produced. Buck has been solid. I don't see who was out there that would have helped us be 500 this year. The angel berrora deal is a real black eye. We actually get a guy locked up for awhile and he decides he wants to stop getting better. We have some power arms in the pen next year dejesus will be one step closer to his prime. I just hope baird doesn't go out and sign jeff king or some other veterans just to make a push at 500

This year's #1 may never be in the Organization. He still has a year left at NU & the rule used to be if the player attended the first day of classes the team lost their right to him & he went back in the following year's class.

So, the begs the question:

When does Nebraska start classes?

siberian khatru
08-15-2005, 11:40 AM
if we don't see Butler, Huber, Gordon and a few others pan out (soon), Baird should be in serious trouble.

If they flop, I think the entire franchise is in serious trouble.

Fire Me Boy!
08-15-2005, 11:44 AM
No, there are no chickens in it.
If you must have chickens, then fine...

http://www.naturalgardeneraustin.com/tour_the_gardens/Animals/images/chickens_coop1.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
08-15-2005, 11:45 AM
However, I'll take this Coop. Coop Davidson.

http://www.cclphotoimaging.com/Gallery/Coop%20davidson%209916.jpg

Bowser
08-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Who the hell names their daughter coop?

Maybe they named her after where she was conceived?

Ebolapox
08-15-2005, 11:51 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=coup

coup http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/JPG/pron.jpg (https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dcoup) ( P ) Pronunciation Key (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html) (khttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/oomacr.gif)
n. pl. coups (khttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/oomacr.gifz) A brilliantly executed stratagem; a triumph. <LI type=a>A coup d'état. <LI type=a>A sudden appropriation of leadership or power; a takeover: a boardroom coup. Among certain Native American peoples, a feat of bravery performed in battle, especially the touching of an enemy's body without causing injury.

-EB-

Fire Me Boy!
08-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Obiously, Mr. and Mrs. Davidson. :shake:

Goapics1
08-15-2005, 11:52 AM
It's prolly short for Cooper. Ya' know, kinda like your name, Gene, short for Eugene.

siberian khatru
08-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Who the hell names their daughter Cooper?

I wonder if she's Southern. A lot of old-money Southern traditionalists name their kids after grandparents and great-grandparents' surnames. For instance, I know a girl named Falls. I've known a Paxton. I think it can get really ridiculous sometimes. I understand the desire to honor ancestors, but it gets out of hand. I think it saddles a kid with an absurd name, but I guess if you remain in those circles, it's not so uncommon.

htismaqe
08-15-2005, 12:07 PM
I wonder if she's Southern. A lot of old-money Southern traditionalists name their kids after grandparents and great-grandparents' surnames. For instance, I know a girl named Falls. I've known a Paxton. I think it can get really ridiculous sometimes. I understand the desire to honor ancestors, but it gets out of hand. I think it saddles a kid with an absurd name, but I guess if you remain in those circles, it's not so uncommon.

I know a chick named Fonda.

Her last name was Dix.

siberian khatru
08-15-2005, 12:10 PM
I know a chick named Fonda.

Her last name was Dix.

Heh. I really did know a girl named Fonda. Her name -- no joke -- was Fonda Love.

htismaqe
08-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Heh. I really did know a girl named Fonda. Her name -- no joke -- was Fonda Love.

I'm not joking. I didn't know her, a buddy of mine went to school with her.

Her name was Fonda Dix.

My dad went to school with a girl named Rosie Palmer and she had 5 sisters.

siberian khatru
08-15-2005, 12:14 PM

Her name was Fonda Dix.

When I was in school at MU, there was a listing in the Columbia, MO, white pages for a Lo Hung Twat.

htismaqe
08-15-2005, 12:15 PM
When I was in school at MU, there was a listing in the Columbia, MO, white pages for a Lo Hung Twat.

That's fuggin sweet!

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-15-2005, 12:19 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=coup

-EB-
bite me. I never said I could spell.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Imagine a hoagenboom, Geisendorfer, or Feldstein...

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-15-2005, 12:22 PM

Her name was Fonda Dix.

I used to work with a woman named Anita Dix. She was short, fat and about 60 years old.

ChiTown
08-15-2005, 12:24 PM
goddamn. this thread was hijacked in a big-assed way....................

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-15-2005, 12:25 PM
goddamn. this thread was hijacked in a big-assed way....................
**** the Royals and their management.

ChiTown
08-15-2005, 12:29 PM
**** the Royals and their management.

Now you're talkin.......

No, I don't want to f' them. I just want them to pull their collective heads outta their asses and start putting a plan together that actually makes sense.

ChiTown
08-15-2005, 12:36 PM
I'll be laughing at Lo Hung Twat for the rest of the day.

ROFL

fyi

I think the Vietnamese pronunciation of Twat is Tw "at" not Tw "ought". Doing business in the late 90's, I used to deal with a number of Twat's in Vietnam...........wait a sec, that didn't come out correctly............

Bowser
08-15-2005, 12:38 PM
ROFL

fyi

I think the Vietnamese pronunciation of Twat is Tw "at" not Tw "ought". Doing business in the late 90's, I used to deal with a number of Twat's in Vietnam...........wait a sec, that didn't come out correctly............

I bet you got burned dealing with those Twats, huh?

Dr. Johnny Fever
Now you're talkin.......

No, I don't want to f' them. I just want them to pull their collective heads outta their asses and start putting a plan together that actually makes sense.
ok that.

DaWolf
Speaking of odd names, don't forget this all time classic (http://www.nineronline.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/11/08/3dcb3b515dd9b?in_archive=1)...

Bowser
08-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Speaking of odd names, don't forget this all time classic (http://www.nineronline.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/11/08/3dcb3b515dd9b?in_archive=1)...

ROFL

tk13
08-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Dog Days..............................start in April for Royals fans.

I was talking to my buddy this morning who is a MLB scout. He says the Royals have talent, but they have been forced to put their talent in the big leagues vs. maturing them and bringing them on at the Minor League level. He said, he thinks the Royals have absolutely ruined guys like Greinke, Burgos and others, due to rushing them into the lineup, as well as the inability to coach them up. That's just his opinion.

Greinke wasn't rushed. In fact people were criticizing Baird for not calling him up last year when we were struggling. He had blown through A and AA and was performing well at AAA. He'd gone completely through the system and Baird still waited to call him up. He then came up and had a good year...and was top 10 in ERA after a couple months this year. If he's ruined, it's in his own head, it has nothing to do with any coach or manager.

ChiTown
08-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Greinke wasn't rushed. In fact people were criticizing Baird for not calling him up last year when we were struggling. He had blown through A and AA and was performing well at AAA. He'd gone completely through the system and Baird still waited to call him up. He then came up and had a good year...and was top 10 in ERA after a couple months this year. If he's ruined, it's in his own head, it has nothing to do with any coach or manager.

Sure.

Greinke flew through the system on his own merit. But I don't think he's had very good coaching or guidance along the way. Thats just my own opinion based on what I've seen, and what I've heard.

tk13
08-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Sure.

Greinke flew through the system on his own merit. But I don't think he's had very good coaching or guidance along the way. Thats just my own opinion based on what I've seen, and what I've heard.
I don't think he wants to listen to any coaching or guidance...

Uatu
08-15-2005, 01:17 PM
We need a coop. The San Diego Chicken can run it. Then Royals fans won't have anything to cluck about anymore.

Mr. Kotter
08-15-2005, 02:25 PM
10 yrs ago, I'd have cared about the Royals.

Today, I care as much about them as I do soccer....which ain't a whit.

Calcountry
08-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Don't be surprised if MLB announces a franchise in Vegas...Guess
what Glass would love todo. It would double or triple the value of the team dam near over night. Glass would then open up his wallett to get a
better team. Right now they're nothing more than the Walmart Royals.Hey, don't be bringing down the reputation of Walmart. ;)

Uatu
08-15-2005, 03:23 PM

Totally correct on all points.

No way was he rushed. No way is he ruined. There are whispers about him not being the most coachable, but come on.

People want to string Baird up because a 21 year old kids are struggling on the mound at times? That's what they do. They're kids.

You know, you always hear people say to 'lose the veteran players, bring up the young guys, I'd rather see the young guys lose, bring them up and let them develop', but then when it's actually done, people start sqawking that the team is bad. Well, duh. You asked for it.

We live in a fast food, ATM, high speed internet society. Most people don't understand how baseball works. Not that it's all good - just, average people don't understand. Like rennovating a poor team with a small market - can't do it in one or two years like in the NFL. It takes time. That's the one thing that people can't tolorate these days, is having to wait for something.

ChiTown
08-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Totally correct on all points.

No way was he rushed. No way is he ruined. There are whispers about him not being the most coachable, but come on.

People want to string Baird up because a 21 year old kids are struggling on the mound at times? That's what they do. They're kids.

You know, you always hear people say to 'lose the veteran players, bring up the young guys, I'd rather see the young guys lose, bring them up and let them develop', but then when it's actually done, people start sqawking that the team is bad. Well, duh. You asked for it.

We live in a fast food, ATM, high speed internet society. Most people don't understand how baseball works. Not that it's all good - just, average people don't understand. Like rennovating a poor team with a small market - can't do it in one or two years like in the NFL. It takes time. That's the one thing that people can't tolorate these days, is having to wait for something.

:hmmm:

Maybe, maybe not.

One thing is pretty clear, the Royals have been absolutely rotten at developing their pitching talent with Baird at the helm. Say what you want, but that much is true.

Relatve to taking time to develop a winner....I dunno. The Royals have been trying to rebuild since the early 90's.....that's over a friggen decade. Theyt have been terribly inept at developing a good plan, sticking to it, and making it come to fruition. Again, it's very difficult to argue that fact.

From 1995-2004, the Royals have gone 693-905, a .433 winning % - pathetic. After this year, it will be 10 losing seasons in the last 11. Now, Baird has only manned the ship since 2000, so he's only been responsible for the 5 losing seasons and get's credit for the only winning season since 1994 - albeit, it was a collapse of biblical propotion that kept the KCR's from reaching the playoffs. After starting 16-3, they go the rest of the season 9 games under .500, and being up 7 games over their nearest competitor at the ASB.

Baird has been with the Royals a long time. It might be time for some fresh blood in the system, including a pink slip for the gawdawful Muzzy Jackson.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-15-2005, 03:50 PM
There's a difference between having patience and being the worst team in professional sports for two decades with no light at the end of the tunnel.

tk13
08-15-2005, 04:04 PM
The only think I don't understand is the criticism where everybody talks about all the failures since Ewing Kauffman died. None of those have absolutely anything to do with this group of players on the field now. I also don't understand the attitude that none of these guys we have on the field now are going to get any better. It's not like any of these guys have come remotely close to peaking... it's the first full season for almost all of them.

Mr. Kotter
08-15-2005, 04:15 PM
There's a difference between having patience and being the worst team in professional sports for two decades with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Whoooomp....THERE it is.

:banghead:

beavis
08-15-2005, 04:46 PM
You're arguments might be easier to take seriously if you used fact instead of hyperbole. The Royals started a downhill slide after the strike of 94 and the death of Ewing Kaufman. The state of ownership (or lack thereof) being in constant flux up until a couple of years ago didn't allow for any long term vision within the organization.

Before 94, we were mediocre at worst. Hell, we had a shot at the playoffs in 94 until the strike bit us in the ass.

Your whining is forcing me to lump you in the same group as peterpuffer. Please, STFU.

Halfcan
08-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Ivana Mandic-good one Bowser. Goes to show, you spread enough fertilizer something will grow. As far as the Royals I all for getting rid of the team and putting in chicken coops. Its better than the cocks we have now.

StcChief
08-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Glass is just working his way out of town with the team.
It might take a few years.