PDA

View Full Version : Hotwire? any horror stories using this site?

tyton75
08-16-2005, 02:01 PM
I am thinking about booking a trip on Hotwire for my wife's birthday.. just a 3 night little thing.. and was wondering if anyone has ever used hotwire and if there is anything to worry about... the prices are so damn good I figure there has to be a catch.. right?

siberian khatru
08-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Natalee Holloway used Hotwire, and look what happened to her.

BigRedChief
08-16-2005, 02:19 PM
I booked alot of stuff online in the lase year. Hotwire is good for a great price but remember you are getting a standard room. You need more than one bed don't use them. You can only get a standard room. Expedia and travelocity will allow you to pick the room type.

tyton75
08-16-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm just worried that something will go wrong. ex: miss a connection because a flight is delayed and then I'm fooked..

BigRedChief
08-16-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm just worried that something will go wrong. ex: miss a connection because a flight is delayed and then I'm fooked..

I got my cheapest flight through midwestairlines.com . $100 cheaper than hotwire.

KChiefsQT
08-16-2005, 02:26 PM

I don't use hotwire for airlines because my aunt got "fooked"... but i guess that could happen with any travel service like that. But...I do use it for hotels because it's way cheaper. I would go through expedia if you're doing a package (flight an hotel). They tend to have good bargains with packages. I'm not sure hotwire will screw u over if u used it...but remember as the saying goes, you get what u pay for.

The Rick
08-16-2005, 02:27 PM
I used Hotwire for a flight once. Didn't have any problems.

tyton75
08-16-2005, 02:52 PM
thanks for the input all!

I'm going to try to find a flight seperately and book the hotel thru hotwire I think.. thanks again!

Big Dog
08-16-2005, 03:17 PM
I have used it frequently with great success. Go here first so you understand what you are doing!

http://www.betterbidding.com

-Big Dog

osumatt
08-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Please remember that most travel companies (car rental, airlines, and hotels) are now publishing their lowest rates/fares on their own web sites. I work for Dollar/Thrifty car rental and it costs us so damn much to get business from these aggregators (hotwire, expedia, travelocity, etc.) that we are encouraging our customers to visit our sites for the lowest possible rate. For example, $100 worth of revenue costs us about $25.50 if we get the booking through expedia but only costs us $5.50 with a customer goes through thrifty.com or dollar.com. These aggregators are a good source to begin your shopping, but I'd go to the specific provider's sites (hilton.com, thrifty.com, southwest.com, etc...) to see if you can get a better overall price. Usually you can. Also, if your into earning points and miles, you can't earn them going through an aggregator.

Hope this helps

Matt

osumatt
08-16-2005, 03:35 PM
And another thing, low cost providers like southwest airlines don't even publish rates on these types of sites due to the prohibitive costs involved. You may not be getting all the options that are really out there.

Matt

Mr. Kotter
08-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Please remember that most travel companies (car rental, airlines, and hotels) are now publishing their lowest rates/fares on their own web sites. I work for Dollar/Thrifty car rental and it costs us so damn much to get business from these aggregators (hotwire, expedia, travelocity, etc.) that we are encouraging our customers to visit our sites for the lowest possible rate. For example, $100 worth of revenue costs us about $25.50 if we get the booking through expedia but only costs us $5.50 with a customer goes through thrifty.com or dollar.com. These aggregators are a good source to begin your shopping, but I'd go to the specific provider's sites (hilton.com, thrifty.com, southwest.com, etc...) to see if you can get a better overall price. Usually you can. Also, if your into earning points and miles, you can't earn them going through an aggregator.

Hope this helps

Matt

Yup; I booked 3 nights at a Holiday Inn Express, through travelocity. Never again....I could have gotten it $10 per night CHEAPER had I booked directly with Holiday Inn.

jjjayb
08-17-2005, 06:21 AM
Yup; I booked 3 nights at a Holiday Inn Express, through travelocity. Never again....I could have gotten it $10 per night CHEAPER had I booked directly with Holiday Inn.

I used to get that all the time when I worked at a hotel. Saw a lot of pissed off people when they realized they could have gotten a cheaper room just booking it themselves directly with us. ROFL

Luzap
08-17-2005, 06:49 AM
I travel a lot. enough so that I'm now a travel agent and make my own commissions.

The only problem I've ever encountered with Hotwire (besides not being able to pick times, seats, etc.) is if I need to make changes to my flight, or if I miss a flight ~ basically you're out of luck.

A travel tip... Always explore the Air + Hotel option (not typically available on airline sites). Sometimes you can get a lower cost package than the flight itself.

Luz
hope that's helpful...

Archie F. Swin
08-17-2005, 06:56 AM
I likely will be flying from Dallas to Boston in six weeks. Hotel is taken care of , but I will need a flight and probably a rental car. Any suggestions?

Luzap
08-17-2005, 07:22 AM
Specific dates are important, but I just quickly checked out a Dallas to Boston round trip from Sept 7 to Sept 14th... $193.30.

I doubt you'll do much better than that.

Check out my booking site at: http://www.gulliversusa.com/1052626

Luz
have fun on your trip...

Bwana
08-17-2005, 07:25 AM
Specific dates are important, but I just quickly checked out a Dallas to Boston round trip from Sept 7 to Sept 14th... $193.30.

I doubt you'll do much better than that.

Check out my booking site at: http://www.gulliversusa.com/1052626

Luz
have fun on your trip...

Dang Bill, you are a man of many talents. Long time no see, how's it going?

Luzap
08-17-2005, 07:27 AM
Fantastic !!!

Hope everythings great with you and yours also.

Unfortunately, I've got to go give a presentation now. I'm in Ft Lauderdale now and will be heading to Denver this afternoon.

Luz
catch you on the other side...