PDA

View Full Version : Mascot HOF; Willie the Wildcat somehow left out

shaneo69
08-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Mickey Mouse, Ronald McDonald don't make cut
ESPN.com news services

The Mascot Hall of Fame has three new members.

The Phoenix Suns Gorilla, the Philadelphia Phillies Phanatic and the San Diego Padres' Famous Chicken were inducted into the inaugural class during a ceremony Tuesday in Philadelphia.

The three were chosen from a list of 14 finalists that included Mickey Mouse, Ronald McDonald and the Denver Nuggets' Rocky.

"The Gorilla has meant so much to the city of Phoenix and he has taken on a life of his own," Suns owner Robert Sarver, who introduced the Gorilla, told MLB.com. The community loves the Gorilla and we're honored to see him inducted today."

To be eligible, a mascot must have been in existence for at least 10 years; have a major impact on its sport, industry and community; and have a performance that is consistently memorable and groundbreaking.

"When I helped create [the Phanatic] in 1978, I had no idea it would develop like this," Phillies chairman Bill Giles, who introduced the Phanatic, told MLB.com. "The popularity has gone beyond the ballpark and into the marketing and tourism of the city of Philadelphia. It is very surprising and amazing at the same time."

Not everyone was celebrating, however.

"We win the pennant (in 1984), and they want to make the Chicken bigger than the team," Jack McKeon, who worked in the Padres' front office during the 1980s, told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "Our marketing people think he's putting people in the seats. Marketing people thought he was the reason we were putting people in the ballpark. Once you see him 10 or 12 times, come on.

"Fans liked him. The Chicken is all right. Do your act, and get the hell off the field," McKeon said.

chief52
08-16-2005, 08:04 PM
I am not really into the mascot thing, but you got to give it to the San Diego Chicken. He has got to be the greatest mascot in the history of Pro Sports...hands down.

shaneo69
08-16-2005, 08:07 PM
I heard that KC Wolf was a sure thing for the Mascot HOF until Gretz screwed up his presentation.

Phobia
08-16-2005, 08:19 PM
Heh heh. I go to church with KC Wolf. He's a heckuva nice guy. Gonna retire in a couple years, though.

chefsos
08-16-2005, 09:36 PM
An almost KC connection: The original Phillie Phanatic was Dave Raymond, son of long time U of Delaware football coach Tubby Raymond.
When Marv Levy installed the Wing-T in KC, he really wanted Tubby to come out to be an assistant because he knew it so well. Tubby considered it, but elected to remain the big fish and stay here.
:shrug: It's interesting to me, anyway.

CoMoChief
08-16-2005, 09:38 PM
How much does KC Wolf make? Im sure he makes more than the Cheerleaders do, though he probably has a 2nd job or something.

Katipan
08-16-2005, 09:46 PM
"The Gorilla has meant so much to the city of Phoenix and he has taken on a life of his own," Suns owner Robert Sarver, who introduced the Gorilla, told MLB.com. The community loves the Gorilla and we're honored to see him inducted today."

hahaahahaha

i mean it's cute and all to see him go flying through the air. i'm usually in the bathroom or getting a beer at that time, but i see the replays.

we don't give a rats ass about that gorilla.

but he sure is athletic. i'd like to see mickey mouse do the stuff he does.

ChiTown
08-16-2005, 09:50 PM
hahaahahaha

i mean it's cute and all to see him go flying through the air. i'm usually in the bathroom or getting a beer at that time, but i see the replays.

we don't give a rats ass about that gorilla.

but he sure is athletic. i'd like to see mickey mouse do the stuff he does.

I'd rather watch a chimp thow poo......

beavis
08-16-2005, 10:05 PM
I am not really into the mascot thing, but you got to give it to the San Diego Chicken. He has got to be the greatest mascot in the history of Pro Sports...hands down.
Saw him at a Royals game years ago. Dude is funny as hell.

Phobia
08-16-2005, 10:11 PM
How much does KC Wolf make? Im sure he makes more than the Cheerleaders do, though he probably has a 2nd job or something.

Uh - he makes a lot more than you or I. A whole lot more.

His 2nd job is making appearances.

leviw
08-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Saw him at a Royals game years ago. Dude is funny as hell.

Trying to show up Sluggerrr I'm sure. Poor Sluggerrr. Not only does he have to shoot hotdogs into a bunch of empty seats, and try to get fans pumped for the worst team in baseball, not to mention the crown that's built into his face; he has to be outdone by the freakin' Chicken on his home turf. Just sad.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/brew/img/jul02/mascot707.jpg