PDA

View Full Version : A Real Question for Electricians

jagerdrinker
08-16-2005, 09:39 PM
So we're in the garage tonight, and we hear a noise that sounds like the old candy "Pop Rocks" and trace the sound to the circuit breaker. After some further investigation, we isolated the noise to be caused only when the dryer was on. We've flipped the circuit breaker for the dryer off, but I'm wondering what could cause such a noise. Is it an electrical fire, a short, or something worse? Any help would be appreciated, but remember to put it in layman's terms. Thanks.

CosmicPal
08-16-2005, 09:42 PM
I'd get the hell out of the house now!

Don't forget the jager on your way out...

C-Mac
08-16-2005, 11:05 PM
So we're in the garage tonight, and we hear a noise that sounds like the old candy "Pop Rocks" and trace the sound to the circuit breaker. After some further investigation, we isolated the noise to be caused only when the dryer was on. We've flipped the circuit breaker for the dryer off, but I'm wondering what could cause such a noise. Is it an electrical fire, a short, or something worse? Any help would be appreciated, but remember to put it in layman's terms. Thanks.

Your dryer, if electric draws a heavy load. The breaker sounds like it may be arcing(jumping spark), or weak. If it smells like something heated up or burning its probably arcing. Might kill the main power and pull the breaker(s) out and look for arc marks or possible week connections. Make sure the contacts are clean and put it back in and listen to see if its still making popping noises. If so, I would try temporarily replacing the breaker with another same amp size breaker off the panel like the oven and see if that fixes it. Probably a weak\bad breaker.

Brock
08-17-2005, 07:12 AM
Weak breaker.

Biohazard
08-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Better lay off the Jager before opening the sides of the breaker panel! bbzzzzzap

plbrdude
08-17-2005, 11:58 AM
if your not familiar with an electric box call a qualified electrician. probly a bad breaker. Could be the wire connections on the breaker. Loose connections will cause arcing and burning. A worse case would be the connection from the breaker to the bus bar, which could possibly ruin the box .

Inspector
08-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Just spray it down with a garden hose.

OK, OK...I was just kididng.
Do NOT really spray it with a garden hose..
..or stick a screwdriver in there....
..or stick any body parts in there either.

Just call an electrician.