PDA

View Full Version : Do we have any Athletic Directors or Youth Sports Directors on board?

Stinger
08-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Anyone fit this bill? I have a question concerning youth sports more importantly Coach Certification. Do you require your coaches to be certified? If so what or where do they recieve they training or certification.

Looking mainly at sports for ages 12 and up. Any help on this would be greatly appriciated. Something may fall into my lap that I am not at liberty to say now just trying to get a heads up just incase it does. Thanks

Phobia
08-17-2005, 11:20 AM
My bro has a masters in Sports Mgmt. He can answer all your landscaping questions.

BigRedChief
08-17-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm not a sports director but I have coached little league football, baseball and soccer at 3 different cities and many different levels.

On a yearly basis I have to take a 2 hour Missouri state mandated sportmanship training and have to pass a background check done by the Missouri State Highway Patrol.

Stinger
08-17-2005, 11:28 AM
My bro has a masters in Sports Mgmt. He can answer all your landscaping questions.
ROFL Funny how that works huh. Actually I am looking for coach certification if you are not teaching or coaching in a school setting. I know at the ages I am looking at there might not be a whole lot out there, or there might be I am not sure hence the question. As usall I am clueless.

milkman
08-17-2005, 11:30 AM
ROFL Funny how that works huh. Actually I am looking for coach certification if you are not teaching or coaching in a school setting. I know at the ages I am looking at there might not be a whole lot out there, or there might be I am not sure hence the question. As usall I am clueless.

I'm sure the parents will be verifying this if you do go into coaching.

Stinger
08-17-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm not a sports director but I have coached little league football, baseball and soccer at 3 different cities and many different levels.

On a yearly basis I have to take a 2 hour Missouri state mandated sportmanship training and have to pass a background check done by the Missouri State Highway Patrol.

Is your traing done in house or by an outside organization. Any contact info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the response.

Phobia
08-17-2005, 11:38 AM
ROFL Funny how that works huh.

I'm mostly kidding, but the bro complete his Masters last year and now he's supervising a landscaping crew. Last I checked, landscapers didn't even require a high school diploma much less a $100k education.

Stinger
08-17-2005, 11:38 AM
I'm sure the parents will be verifying this if you do go into coaching.
Actually I am a certified Class D coach for soccer and have coached at many different levels, but an oppertunity may arrise that I may be overseeing and entire youth sports organisation. They have sports that I am not familiar with in certification and currently it is a parent run program and no certifaction required. If the situation works out I would like to change that.

redskin
08-17-2005, 12:37 PM
I am a youth sports director in Kansas. We require all of our coaches to be certified through the NYSCA. You can check out their site at http://www.nays.org

Stinger
08-17-2005, 12:42 PM
I am a youth sports director in Kansas. We require all of our coaches to be certified through the NYSCA. You can check out their site at http://www.nays.org

Thanks for the link ... looks like what I need just glancing at it. In your Sports division that you oversee is the sports U-12 or do you go into jr. high and highschool ages as well?

BigRedChief
08-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Is your traing done in house or by an outside organization. Any contact info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the response.

they don't do it in house. They contract it out. The leagues website is www.lsbaseball.com (http://www.lsbaseball.com) You may ask someone on there what they do to comply with the Missouri law.

Stinger
08-17-2005, 12:57 PM
they don't do it in house. They contract it out. The leagues website is www.lsbaseball.com (http://www.lsbaseball.com) You may ask someone on there what they do to comply with the Missouri law.

Thanks will check it out.

redskin
08-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the link ... looks like what I need just glancing at it. In your Sports division that you oversee is the sports U-12 or do you go into jr. high and highschool ages as well?

We pretty much stop at 7th grade. There's two parts to certifying a coach through NYSCA. First, they watch a video showing them the proper ways to act and deal with the kids and their parents and sign a pledge saying they will abide by the NYSCA rules. The second part is they watch a video with drills and coaching techniques for the particular sport involved. It's a pretty good program.