PDA

View Full Version : Fisherman dies chasing fish that stole his pole

onescrewleftuntwisted
08-17-2005, 04:20 PM
click here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/germany_fish_dc;_ylt=AhKk6htDZ_WNA8N5XAwEvCSs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-)

A fish caught in an east German lake near the Polish border not only got off the hook but also lured a 46-year-old fisherman to his death, police in the eastern town of Eisenhuettenstadt said Tuesday.

A police spokeswoman said the fish pulled the fishing rod out of the man's hands and dragged it about 100 metres away from shore at the Kleinen Pohlitzer lake near Eisenhuettenstadt. The man took off his clothes and swam after the pole.

An eyewitness said the man reached the rod floating on the surface but then suddenly stopped moving. The witness, 54, swam out to help him and pulled the fisherman back to shore, where he was later pronounced dead, police said.

"I know it sounds like an incredible story but it really happened," an Eisenhuettenstadt police spokeswoman said. "It was apparently just an ordinary fish."

chiefs4me
08-17-2005, 07:15 PM
I wonder if it was a female fish....

Hog Rider
08-17-2005, 07:19 PM
I remember a guy at work once had a picture of a fish choking on his pole, but I've never heard of a guy's pole being yanked out of a guy's hands. Da*n, that had to hurt!

oldandslow
08-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Should have read moby dick....

the fish always wins in the end.

Bwana
08-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Heh! What a tool.

Hammock Parties
08-17-2005, 07:33 PM
That reminds me of The Old Man and the Sea.

Nightfyre
08-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Im still left wondering why it matters.

B_Ambuehl
08-17-2005, 07:54 PM
I was fishing once and hadn't had a bite all day so I left my rod sitting for a second on the pier while I went to get something to drink. As soon as I stood up and took about 2 steps I got a fish on that yanked my rod clear off the pier into the water. The water was shallow enough and I could see where it was and didn't mind going in after it. I jumped in and got it right quick then got back on the pier and reeled it in to see what I had caught. Well if I would've known what was on the other end I probably wouldn't have jumped in the water........it was an alligator gar!

milkman
08-17-2005, 07:57 PM

Just 'cause he was trying to grab his pole, it doesn't mean there's anything related to gender and sex.

Nightfyre
08-17-2005, 07:59 PM
I was fishing once and hadn't had a bite all day so I left my rod sitting for a second on the pier while I went to get something to drink. As soon as I stood up and took about 2 steps I got a fish on that yanked my rod clear off the pier into the water. The water was shallow enough and I could see where it was and didn't mind going in after it. I jumped in and got it right quick then got back on the pier and reeled it in to see what I had caught. Well if I would've known what was on the other end I probably wouldn't have jumped in the water........it was an alligator gar!
how big?

(for the rest of you who were curious: http://images.google.com/images?q=alligator+gar&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=N&tab=ii&oi=imagest )