PDA

View Full Version : Charges give Gates ultimatum

Wile_E_Coyote
08-17-2005, 07:45 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3900960?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

The San Diego Chargers have made their move in the contract stalemate with All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Chargers sent Gates a letter informing him that if he does not sign his tender (reported to be $380,000) by Saturday, he will be held out of both the season opener against Dallas in addition to the last two preseason games.

The letter also states that for every preseason and regular season game he misses after Saturday's game, he will be sat for an extra game. In other words, if Gates does not sign his tender until after the preseason, he will miss the first three games of the season, as the contract impasse between the two sides now hits another level. He will also not receive a game check for those games he is forced to sit.

For the games Gates is forced to miss, he will be held off the team's 53-man roster.

Gates last year was named an All Pro and wants to be paid along the lines of Chiefs' perennial Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez. The Chargers have negotiated with Gates for a while, but when they could not get a deal done prior to camp, Gates boycotted training camp.

Gates, who did not play college football, had a breakout year in 2004, making 81 catches for 964 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Hammock Parties
08-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Hahaha! Without Gates the Chargers are an 8-8 team.

NaptownChief
08-17-2005, 07:49 PM
What a bunch of BS...If he is available they will play him the moment the games start counting.

HolmeZz
08-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Pony up and give him a new contract, you cheap bastards. $380,000?

milkman
08-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Pony up and give him a new contract, you cheap bastards. $380,000?

He has had one outstanding season.

380 grand might be a little on the low side, but let's make sure he can continue to play at that level before we open the vault.

Ultra Peanut
08-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Cheap-ass bitches.

380 grand might be a little on the low side, but let's make sure he can continue to play at that level before we open the vault.He's a converted basketball player who has shown he has everything it takes to be a FORCE for a long time to come.

If a draft pick can get assloads of money without stepping onto a field, Gates is well within his rights to say, "Pay me."

Mr. Flopnuts
08-17-2005, 08:06 PM
380k? That might be less than Tony G's backup. Pathetic.

Nightfyre
08-17-2005, 08:07 PM
380k? That might be less than Tony G's backup. Pathetic.

Maybe he should reneg to the Chiefs for 500K....

cdcox
08-17-2005, 08:08 PM
I think there are two options that would be fair to both sides:

Give him a one year contract at about the level of Gonzo.

Or give him a multi-year deal with a signing bonus at a level significantly better than he is now, but around the #3 slot in the league.

Either option would balance the reward/risk on for the player and team. The current contract makes Gates bear all the risk. A huge multi-year contract is not warranted based on one good year because it puts too much risk on the Chargers.

Why everyone can't see this and get a deal done is beyond me, but I sure am happy about it.

HolmeZz
08-17-2005, 08:09 PM

380 grand might be a little on the low side, but let's make sure he can continue to play at that level before we open the vault.

Alex Smith gets 24 million guaranteed and hasn't shown a thing. Gates puts up record-breaking numbers in his first year and has to stick with making $380,000 a year?

milkman
08-17-2005, 08:10 PM
If a draft pick can get assloads of money without stepping onto a field, Gates is well within his rights to say, "Pay me."

Good point.

Bastards. :cuss:

chagrin
08-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Akili Smith played 12 games in college and got a huge contract too, why shouldn't antonio get paid...

:p

Red Dawg
08-17-2005, 08:12 PM
I gotta go with Gates on this one.

cdcox
08-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Alex Smith gets 24 million guaranteed and hasn't shown a thing. Gates puts up record-breaking numbers in his first year and has to stick with making $380,000 a year?

No TE is going to get $24M in guaranteed money. TE are not drafted first overall. They are like a guard, center or a FB. Gonzo has changed the equation somewhat, but it remains a position where you can geet good production without investing a super high pick.

HolmeZz
08-17-2005, 08:14 PM
No TE is going to get $28M in guaranteed money. TE are not drafted first overall. They are like a guard, center or a FB. Gonzo has changed the equation somewhat, but it remains a position where you can geet good production without investing a super high pick.

I didn't say he should get paid like that. I was just trying to disprove SideWinder's claim that he doesn't deserve a big contract because he's only played one year.

chefsos
08-17-2005, 08:16 PM

NFL teams gotta get bargains where they can. I'm sure the Bolts, just like us, have a few numbnuts making millions, chewing up cap space, and doing squat to earn it. Sucks for Gates, he's going to have to wait for his payday, but that's the way it is.

milkman
08-17-2005, 08:17 PM
I didn't say he should get paid like that. I was just trying to disprove SideWinder's claim that he doesn't deserve a big contract because he's only played one year.

And you were too late, 'cause Psi beat ya to it!

HA :)

Red Dawg
08-17-2005, 08:18 PM
After the season he had they should up his salary to at least 1 mil. Brees showed shiat until last season and he got millions because of the franchise tag.

cdcox
08-17-2005, 08:25 PM

So the Chiefs should have made Eric Hicks the highest paid DE in the AFC after he posted his 14 sack season?

So we should give Jared Allen a big raise after having a 9 sack season?

Paying Dan Williams after one good year at DT was the thing to do?

There are just too many one-year wonders to make any kind of legitimate arguement that this guy deserves a Gonzo-esqe contract. He is due a raise, but he is asking for the world. Consider that Gonzo was a 1st round draft choice and had proven himself for several years before he was given his contract.

KCJake
08-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Wow! The Chargers are really showing some balls. They know how important Gates is to their success.

If you look at the Eagles/T.O situation and the Chargers/Gates situation, it appears that there has been a shift of power. Normally, the big time players get their way and get paid. Not in these two cases.

alpha_omega
08-17-2005, 08:57 PM
I know all things are relative, but...

380K is still alot of $

HolmeZz
08-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Wow! The Chargers are really showing some balls. They know how important Gates is to their success.

If you look at the Eagles/T.O situation and the Chargers/Gates situation, it appears that there has been a shift of power. Normally, the big time players get their way and get paid. Not in these two cases.

I wouldn't lump Gate's situation with TO. Owens is making 49 mil over 7 years, one of the highest paid WRs in the game. Gates is making $380,000 for one year, which is less than I'd assume most backup TEs.

Morgan State 60
08-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Another thing to keep in mind, Gates is not even under contract. I don't think his situation should even be characterized as a "holdout". He's an exclusive rights free agent, meaning he can only negotiate with the San Diego Chargers.

Phobia
08-17-2005, 09:38 PM
Another thing to keep in mind, Gates is not even under contract. I don't think his situation should even be characterized as a "holdout". He's an exclusive rights free agent, meaning he can only negotiate with the San Diego Chargers.

I did not know that. Are you certain?

StcChief
08-17-2005, 09:39 PM
one year.
Get a contract full of incentives, give him a $1M at least as a base, with dramatic increases in base in future years as incentives.

These guys think they are gods gift to football after a year.

Hammock Parties
08-17-2005, 09:39 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/_photos3/2002-09-27-marty.jpg

"SIIIIIIIIIIGN!"

Nightfyre
08-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Gates is about as close to a godsend for a team I have ever seen.

Morgan State 60
08-17-2005, 09:41 PM
I did not know that. Are you certain?

"Gates, who went from being an undrafted rookie to All-Pro in just two seasons, has yet to sign a $380,000 contract the Chargers tendered him as an exclusive rights free agent during the offseason. Gates can't report until he signs either the tender or a long-term deal, which the team says it has been working on since last season."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/specials/preview/2005/07/28/bc.fbn.chargers.gates.ap/

Phobia
08-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Cool. I didn't need a link because I trust people, but I appreciate the effort. I guess I haven't been following that situation too closely.

Ninjaman
08-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Contracts are contracts. Get it ?

The guy had no problem when he signed it.

If he thought he was such hot shit then why didn't he demand teams pay him that in the first place ?

Nightfyre
08-17-2005, 09:58 PM

If he thought he was such hot shit then why didn't he demand teams pay him that in the first place ?
Well, as discussed about 2 posts up, hes not under contract. he is an exclusive rights free agent. He just cant negotiate elsewhere.

RxKbolt
08-17-2005, 10:07 PM
To shed a little light on this issue, the problem is not that chargers want Gates to just play for 380k. The Chargers offerd Gates a five year contract slightly less than Gonzo money. Gates (or his agent) want more money than Gonzo and only said that they would take less if the contract was only for three years. The Charger want a five year contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2129144

They did not just offer him 380k to play this year. They offered him what they though of as a more than fair contract based on his one year probowl performance, but Gates or/and his agent do not agree.

The chargers are just trying to get gates to sign the tender and get into camp that way they have more time to get a deal done without havng gates miss most of the season.

teedubya
08-17-2005, 10:13 PM
I love capitalism.

KCJake
08-17-2005, 10:14 PM
To shed a little light on this issue, the problem is not that chargers want Gates to just play for 380k. The Chargers offerd Gates a five year contract slightly less than Gonzo money. Gates (or his agent) want more money than Gonzo and only said that they would take less if the contract was only for three years. The Charger want a five year contract.

They did not just offer him 380k to play this year. They offered him what they though of as a more than fair contract based on his one year probowl performance, but Gates or/and his agent do not agree.

The chargers are just trying to get gates to sign the tender and get into camp that way they have more time to get a deal done without havng gates miss most of the season.

Nice post rookie

REP
:toast:

Ninjaman
08-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Well, as discussed about 2 posts up, hes not under contract. he is an exclusive rights free agent. He just cant negotiate elsewhere.

I see. Franchise tag ?

KCJake
08-17-2005, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't lump Gate's situation with TO. Owens is making 49 mil over 7 years, one of the highest paid WRs in the game. Gates is making $380,000 for one year, which is less than I'd assume most backup TEs.
My bad. I really wasn't trying to "lump" the two situation's together.
Basically, T.O is under contract, wants more money and is getting denied. Same thing as A. Gates.

Other than that, two completely different circumstances.

Nightfyre
08-17-2005, 10:23 PM
A player's right to free agency depends in general on how many years he has played in the NFL, as follows:
0-2 years: ERFA (exclusive rights free agent)
3 years: RFA (Restricted Free Agent)
4 years: URFA (unrestricted free agent)

Valiant
08-17-2005, 10:30 PM

Well second year actually..

Valiant
08-17-2005, 10:36 PM

Spins a new twist on the story to the casual fan... If thats the case then Gates needs to fire his agent, There are too many one-year wonders out there... And it seems the Bolts offered a more-then-fair deal...

Pitt Gorilla
08-17-2005, 10:43 PM

No contract means no contract. Get it?

He has signed nothing as far as I know.

jettio
08-17-2005, 10:43 PM
The Chargers ought to hold their ground and give him $5.00 more than whatever Alfred Pupunu made last year in the private sector.

HolmeZz
08-17-2005, 11:27 PM
Well second year actually..

Was he even on the active roster the first year or just practice squad? Given his lack of football experience, I'd still have trouble not calling him a rookie last year.

beer bacon
08-18-2005, 12:28 AM
Was he even on the active roster the first year or just practice squad? Given his lack of football experience, I'd still have trouble not calling him a rookie last year.

He played in 15 games in 2003 according to ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=5362

Pants
08-18-2005, 01:03 AM

He can think he's hot shit all he wants but a team won't sign him, unless he proves it on the field, during games which matter, under pressure. I thought that was common sense.

HolmeZz
08-18-2005, 01:26 AM
He played in 15 games in 2003 according to ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=5362

Fair enough.

Crush
08-18-2005, 02:14 AM
I see. Franchise tag ?

He hasn't been in the league long enough to be an UFA.

Ultra Peanut
08-18-2005, 03:15 AM
Spins a new twist on the story to the casual fan... If thats the case then Gates needs to fire his agentYyyeah. Because agents are supposed to accept any deal thrown at their client and not try to get more money... :rolleyes:

HemiEd
08-18-2005, 05:45 AM
He hasn't been in the league long enough to be an UFA.

And you can only have one Franchise Tag per season, they used that already on thier other one year wonder QB.

KCTitus
08-18-2005, 06:19 AM
It's not franchise tag...according to the espn link, he's tendered as an exclusive rights FA, which means he can only negotiate with SD.

HemiEd
08-18-2005, 08:05 AM
It's not franchise tag...according to the espn link, he's tendered as an exclusive rights FA, which means he can only negotiate with SD.

Response was to reponse to post 35.

KCTitus
08-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Response was to reponse to post 35.

As was mine...

HemiEd
08-18-2005, 08:09 AM
As was mine...

Oh, thanks