PDA

View Full Version : Arrowhead "Best Practices"

Lord Bestyle
08-18-2005, 05:34 PM
This will be my first year as a "real fan". My previous few trips to Arrowhead were great, but I'm sure many on the board could benefit from a seasoned veteran's tips for the best gameday experience. Perhaps a "best practices" list for going to a Chiefs game. Some sample questions:

1. How early should one arrive?
2. What route should someone take to get into the parking lot?
3. Where's the best/easiest place to park?
4. Should one not drive? (e.g. Are there any carpooling or shared ride services?)
5. Are there any "open" tailgates, like where you can get BBQ/Beer for $?
6. Anything you should bring with you (binoculars, radio, blankets, etc.)?

Please, share any of these answers or any other ideas on how you make Arrowhead an experience. Thanks.

runnercyclist
08-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Dont ride with cadmonkey

Sig Kauffman
08-18-2005, 05:57 PM
If you're driving, probably 2-3 hours before kickoff. I usually stay at one of the hotels close to the stadium though, so I just walk there an hour beforehand.

Coming from the south...your best bet is I-435 to Raytown Road. From all other directions...take I-70 to Blue Ridge Cutoff.

3. Where's the best/easiest place to park? The stadium is about the only place. I don't know if Vatterott College across I-70 lets you park there or not...but don't even think about parking in one of the hotel lots...unless you are a guest there.

4. Should one not drive? (e.g. Are there any carpooling or shared ride services?) The KC Metro Transit system does offer the Chiefs Express. I'm not sure what their fares are, but I'm guessing it's a lot cheaper than paying for parking.

5. Are there any "open" tailgates, like where you can get BBQ/Beer for $? I don't know if the Chiefs allow that practice on their lot.

6. Anything you should bring with you (binoculars, radio, blankets, etc.)? You shouldn't need binoculars, there really isn't a bad seat in the house. If you prefer to listen to play-by-play, then taking the radio would be good. And I'd recommend blankets if it's going to be freaking cold out there.

http://www.kcchiefs.com is a good place to look for more information about the game day experience.

DTLB58
08-18-2005, 06:14 PM
The biggest thing I would say here is I WOULD drive myself. We stayed at a Motel several years ago and took their bus. It left so late and then got tied up in traffic and literally had to sprint to our seats to make kickoff.

Have fun and remember it's Home of the CHIIIEEEFFFSSS!!!!!!

BigRedChief
08-18-2005, 06:31 PM
If you're driving, probably 2-3 hours before kickoff. I usually stay at one of the hotels close to the stadium though, so I just walk there an hour beforehand.

Coming from the south...your best bet is I-435 to Raytown Road. From all other directions...take I-70 to Blue Ridge Cutoff.

3. Where's the best/easiest place to park? The stadium is about the only place. I don't know if Vatterott College across I-70 lets you park there or not...but don't even think about parking in one of the hotel lots...unless you are a guest there.

4. Should one not drive? (e.g. Are there any carpooling or shared ride services?) The KC Metro Transit system does offer the Chiefs Express. I'm not sure what their fares are, but I'm guessing it's a lot cheaper than paying for parking.

5. Are there any "open" tailgates, like where you can get BBQ/Beer for $? I don't know if the Chiefs allow that practice on their lot.

6. Anything you should bring with you (binoculars, radio, blankets, etc.)? You shouldn't need binoculars, there really isn't a bad seat in the house. If you prefer to listen to play-by-play, then taking the radio would be good. And I'd recommend blankets if it's going to be freaking cold out there.

http://www.kcchiefs.com is a good place to look for more information about the game day experience.
Avoid i-70 and blue ridge cutoff like the plague unless you are going at least 2 hours early.

If you drink you will have to go to the bathroom and you will miss some of the game.

The waits for the porta pottys in the parking lot before the game can get long

Tailgate after the game and let others sit in the 1 hour wait to get out of the parking lot

Get there early and wonder around the tailgaters. Wonders are always welcome in the lot

Make sure you stop by B5 and the tee pee to meet some of your fellow "Real" fans.

Phobia
08-18-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm no expert but I like to get there just before the gates open. I like to maximize the tailgate experience because that's a big part of gameday according to Phobia.

I don't know of any vendors that sell food and brews in the parking lot, but if you wanna bring some brews and some food you can throw it on my grill. If you wanna buy some meat I'll even smoke it for you assuming you can get it to me a couple days ahead of time. I plan to be close to B5. I'll have the biggest white truck in the lot, probably.

dtebbe
08-18-2005, 07:10 PM
I would stay in Blue Springs and catch the Chiefs shuttle (at the park & ride right off 7 Hwy by the Sinclair station. The bus is $7 each way, and is about a 20-25 minute ride in from blue springs. When the game is over you will be back to your car in 30-45 minutes. It's the only way to go to/from the stadium, unless you are hauling a truck load for tailgating.

Bring a bag of Ricola, cause' if you yell with the rest of us, you'll need them by halftime!!

DT

Lord Bestyle
08-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Awesome. Thanks, all. This season is going to kick ass!

cdcox
08-18-2005, 09:48 PM
It has been many years since I've been to a game, but if you are coming from the North, there is a "back way" that is much better than coming in on I-70. It is an exit off I-435 before you get to I-70. I don't remember anything else but I'm sure someone local can fill in the details.

Saulbadguy
08-18-2005, 09:55 PM
I'm no expert but I like to get there just before the gates open. I like to maximize the tailgate experience because that's a big part of gameday according to Phobia.

I don't know of any vendors that sell food and brews in the parking lot, but if you wanna bring some brews and some food you can throw it on my grill. If you wanna buy some meat I'll even smoke it for you assuming you can get it to me a couple days ahead of time. I plan to be close to B5. I'll have the biggest white truck in the lot, probably.
Are you a real fan this season?

Saulbadguy
08-18-2005, 09:59 PM
We arrive 2 hours before kickoff. We usually get a good spot in the B lot, and just hang out before kickoff. I go in to the stadium about 45 minutes before kickoff.

Bring a 20 oz bottle of water (sealed) for the hot games. Thats the only thing you can bring in to the stadium. The water fountains are terrible and you can get dehydrated very easily. The drinks inside the stadium are too expensive. Also, if you want to, just ask a vendor for a cup of ice. They will usually give it to you, no charge.

Cold games, bring a carpet square or something like that. I've learned at the cold games, the 2 extremities you want to keep warm are your feet, and your face. If it has been raining, bring a trash bag to sit on or a towel of some sort.

Thats all the info I really have to offer.