PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Defense VS. Cardinals Offense!

Halfcan
08-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Yes it is preseason, but it seems there is a lot of fans worried about the Chiefs D. and the revamped Arizona Offense led by Kurt Warner looks dangerous on paper. When you break it down though it does not look that intimidating.

Kurt Warner-from stock boy to MVP Is the new QB after a short and embarassing stay with the Giants. Yes he has made a name but if you look at his recent numbers, Warner looks like a has been.

2004 10 games 2054 yards 6 TD's 4 Int Sacked 39 times 12 Fumbles with 4 Fumbles lost.
In the last 3 Years his numbers look worse!
10 TD's 16Int with 25 Fumbles.

JJ Arrington-RB 2018 yards rushing at Cal. last year. All ready being touted as the RB steal of the draft. The Chiefs should see a lot of this guy-but he is still a Rookie and trying to learn the system. KC needs to contain the edges where he is good at bouncing out for big games. Not a bruising back, but very fast. Hopefully DJ will smash him a few times and give him an Arrowhead welcome to the NFL.

The Big Three, as they are being called. Boldin, Fitzgerald, Johnson. Once again, a lot of hype for guys that put up average numbers last year.

Anquan Boldin 2003 1377 yards 8 TD's but in 2004 623 yards 1 TD

Larry Fitzgerald In 16 games 780 yards 8 TD's

Bryant Johnson 537 yards 1 TD

They are still dangerous and should provide a good test to the Chiefs secondary, but just a bit overhyped.

I expect that Vanilla defense we saw last week to have some hot fudge and sprinkles this week. I think Gun will stop the run and then blitz Warner until he quits, or get hurt like he usually does. When the second stringers come in its a toss up.

What is your opinion on the match up? Can the Chiefs shut down the Hype machine?

ZootedGranny
08-18-2005, 10:32 PM
I agree for the most part. This entire past week, I've been thinking this is going to be a mirror of the Rams preseason game from last year, where Gun calls some blitzes, and runs some stunts.

Can they stop the hype machine? I dunno, I'm just hoping the obvious...no injuries, and that the defense doesn't go out and look like shit.

beer bacon
08-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Warner was pretty impressive in the Cardinals' first preseason game. He went 14/19 for 151 yards and a TD.

Wallcrawler
08-18-2005, 11:42 PM
One of the big matchups I will really be looking at is CB Dexter McLeon when he lines up against either Anquan Boldin, or Larry Fitzgerald.

As our number 2 guy in the secondary, he is going to be the one that is going to be singled out and picked on. Surtain is more than capable of locking down either receiver, so McLeon is going to be getting a lot of passes thrown at him, and he has to prove that he is up to the task, or he is going to have a very very busy opening month of the regular season.

philfree
08-18-2005, 11:52 PM
So which style of O are the Cards running? The West Coast per Bill Walsh or the Air Corryell style? I thought they were running a variation of the Air Corryell but Green ran the West Coast in Minni so I ain't for sure.

PhilFree:arrow:

B_Ambuehl
08-19-2005, 12:00 AM
Warners success is 100% dependent on his offensive line.....like a video game quarterback. Those first 3 or so years he had with the Rams he could sit back there all day and play quarterback like playing a video game....just throw it to x, y, or z. He's very good at doing that yet give him any pressure at all though and he deteriorates worse then Phil Simms.

I used to say the Rams offense was like comparing the engine on a modern day foreign type vehicle to an old muscle car. The engines on these modern day cars are nice as long as everythings hitting on all cylinders...you got all kinds of computer circuity and gadgets in there and everything looks real nice and smooth when everything works right. But get a big hammer and knock the hell out of it and as soon as that "check engine" light comes on everything freezes up and falls apart and you're left wondering why you even bought this $50,000 piece of shit that doesn't run and is gonna cost you $1500 to fix when you could've just been driving an old loud american car that ain't fancy but is never beyond a couple of hours tinkering to get going again.

Nothing will change as long as Warner's at the helm. You get pressure on him and rattle him with a big hammer and the whole offense will fall apart. If you don't his offense will look like some high tech modern day system against your old outdated defense.

Pants
08-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Heh, $50,000 piece of shit.

Hammock Parties
08-19-2005, 12:21 AM
We know their offense pretty well. I have a good feeling.

Anyong Bluth
08-19-2005, 01:51 AM
underplaying their recievers is a mistake. Boldin got hurt, did he not, last year and missed a large portion of the season.

I will 2nd the point made regarding O-line. If they can field a decent line they can easily win a pathetic NFC West. St louis is an empty shell of their former glory, and Mike Martz is now beginning to be exposed. How funny that a guy that kept whispering about how he was the brain behind St louis' offense during their super bowl run can't seem to replicate their success once DV & AS are gone?
Its actually a testament to those two that we managed to produce so well on "O" & rework our primary focus from WR's to power running & TE heavy.

Dennis Green may not be your dream coach, but he's leaps & bounds better then any coach I can remember for the Cards in ages. No one seems to be remiss about the fact that Buddy Ryan is gone- Joe Bugel, err... not so much.

Tribal Warfare
08-19-2005, 02:22 AM
Its actually a testament to those two that we managed to produce so well on "O" & rework our primary focus from WR's to power running & TE heavy.

The key is the running game is the tool for success in any offense ,but the catalyst that makes it work besides a great RB is an established OL. Then it frees up WR's in our case the emphasis is on TE since KC has the best in the business, and maybe the best of All-time at that position.

petegz28
08-19-2005, 07:11 AM
No Bell, No Hall, no matter to the outcome of this game.

KChiefs1
08-19-2005, 07:16 AM
It's an exhibition game! Who cares? All I want outta this game is.......NO FRIGGIN' INJURIES! :banghead:

Cormac
08-19-2005, 07:18 AM
The Big Three, as they are being called. Boldin, Fitzgerald, Johnson. Once again, a lot of hype for guys that put up average numbers last year.

Anquan Boldin 2003 1377 yards 8 TD's but in 2004 623 yards 1 TD

Larry Fitzgerald In 16 games 780 yards 8 TD's

Bryant Johnson 537 yards 1 TD

They are still dangerous and should provide a good test to the Chiefs secondary, but just a bit overhyped.

I wouldn't underestimate the WRs. Boldin was coming off an injury last season. And Larry Fitzgerald was a rookie - those are serious numbers for a rookie not named Moss. All that coming from Luke McCown as QB. We'll be in for a test.

Warrior5
08-19-2005, 07:40 AM
I don't think it's about underestimating the WRs; again, it all starts with the F4.

Warner ain't mobile like Culpepper, but if he has all day in the pocket, he'll look like the MVP Warner and his receivers will look like Moss.

That's my D focus for the upcoming game.

milkman
08-19-2005, 07:14 PM
I agree for the most part. This entire past week, I've been thinking this is going to be a mirror of the Rams preseason game from last year, where Gun calls some blitzes, and runs some stunts.

You are probably right, but I hope not.

I just want to see them working on fundamentals, and maintaining discipline.

Don't break out the playbook until the real season starts.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-19-2005, 07:23 PM
It won't be every week that we face a team with two good-to-great WRs, but I was wondering...

Does Surtain follow the best WR? Or does he stay at the left CB spot all of the time?

Halfcan
08-19-2005, 10:39 PM
I would imagine Surtain will only play one series, and will take on Boldin. I really think Gun will blitz a lot, at the very least, every third down. Defense could really use something to build on, and that goes for the whole team. They need a win.

Tribal Warfare
08-19-2005, 10:44 PM
They need a win.

ahh yes the timeless underlying thought that defines this team through out the years :D

LiL stumppy
08-19-2005, 10:48 PM
The thing about the WR's is,who was throwing to them last year?And who is throwing to them this year.

Halfcan
08-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Hey pimp was that an improvement? I think Warner needs to be getting some aps at Target just in case. He has had some rough years.

regald
08-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Lil Stumpy, you'd think that objection makes sense but it didn't in their last preseason game.

Warner looked more mobile and poised than Bledsoe. He got the ball to his receivers despite having Terence Newsome, Anthony Henry, and Aaron Glenn. The cowboys' secondary is better than that of your Chiefs.

The Cardinals blitzed quite a bit last preseason game, Adrian Wilson will jump into the box. It'll be interesting to see if Priest Holmes can gain some yardage with all the extra pressure Green is going to get.