PDA

View Full Version : Gretz: Adios River Falls

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-19-2005, 07:57 AM
I'm not sorry if it's a re-post... deal with it.

GRETZ: Adios River Falls
Aug 19, 2005, 6:26:42 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

RIVER FALLS, WI – By mid-afternoon, the north woods will be visible only in the Chiefs rear view mirror. Another sojourn to the land of beer and cheese has been completed. Dick Vermeil and his campers return home to continue pre-season camp after their game Saturday night at Arrowhead Stadium against the Arizona Cardinals.

The move south also moves the Chiefs closer to their first mandatory roster cutdown of the season. In 10 days, they must be to 65 players, plus NFL Europe exemptions.

Last week’s pre-season opener against the Vikings did not provide a lot of answers to questions that still remain about the makeup of the Chiefs roster. Again, there are probably 12 spots up for grabs, maybe less, with most of the question marks at wide receiver, defensive back, linebacker and running back. The offensive and defensive lines are more settled, but still could have some roster turnover. Quarterback, tight ends and the special teams guys (punter, kicker, deep snapper) all seem pretty secure.

WIDE RECEIVER-RUNNING BACK: The total roster spots for these two positions figures to be 10; the combination remains up in the air. Six of the spots are locks: Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Tony Richardson, Eddie Kennison, Samie Parker and Dante Hall. At wide receiver Marc Boerigter figures to have an edge on the other names on the roster. In the backfield, things are wide open for one, maybe two spots. At both positions, watch the top special teams units for clues (WR Jeris McIntyre and RB Ronnie Cruz were both working on the No. 1 kick coverage unit Thursday afternoon and Cruz was on the No. 1 punt coverage team.)

DEFENSIVE BACK: Of the guys struggling for a roster spot, nobody jumped ahead against the Vikings last week. It’s a nine-man group, usually five corners and four safeties. With Eric Warfield out of the mix, it seems three cornerback spots are filled (Pat Surtain, Dexter McCleon and Benny Sapp) and three safeties (Sammy Knight, Greg Wesley and William Bartee.)

LINEBACKER: This remains the toughest position to get a handle on the final two, maybe three roster spots. After Kendrell Bell, Derrick Johnson, Kawika Mitchell and Keyaron Fox, it’s wide open. Rookies Boomer Grigsby and Kris Griffin both have good shots at making the club, and they are getting a lot of snaps in the kicking game. Everyone else is fighting for one, maybe two spots.

DEFENSIVE LINE: Injuries have really muddied the water along the defensive front as three players who figured to be key contributors this season have hardly practiced: defensive tackles John Browning and Junior Siavii and defensive end Carlos Hall.

The Chiefs know what Browning can do, so the question there is only when he can be ready to play at full speed. Hall has a track record at Tennessee, so the Chiefs also have some idea of what he can do on the field. That’s not the case with Siavii, who has only his rookie season last year, where he did not leave much of an impression.

Right now, the roster figures to have at least eight, probably nine defensive linemen. Eric Hicks, Ryan Sims, Lional Dalton, Jared Allen, Jimmy Wilkerson, Hall and Browning all figure to be part of that group. That leaves room for one, possibly two more players, likely one inside and one outside. Second-year man Montique Sharpe and rookie Arrion Dixon both have a shot to make this team. Khari Long, Clint Mitchell and Zach Ville are the other candidates at end, although Long’s chances have been severely hurt by an injury that’s kept him out of practice for over a week. Or, the Chiefs could go with eight on the line and consider Gary Stills as a pass rushing end-linebacker-special teams performer.

OFFENSIVE LINE: The Chiefs have generally carried eight or nine blockers on the final 53-man roster. Right now, it’s easy to pick out eight: Willie Roaf, Brian Waters, Casey Wiegmann, Will Shields, Kevin Sampson, John Welbourn, Chris Bober and Jordan Black. If it’s nine, then Brett Williams would be that man; he’s probably shown the most improvement of any of the young linemen on the roster during training camp. He’s also shown his best position is guard, not tackle.

RealSNR
08-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Rainman disagrees with Blob about Brett Williams

jiveturkey
08-19-2005, 08:39 AM
Rainman disagrees with Blob about Brett WilliamsHe defiantely looked lost at tackle but who would you keep over him as the 9th lineman.

Kclee
08-19-2005, 08:42 AM
LINEBACKER: This remains the toughest position to get a handle on the final two, maybe three roster spots. After Kendrell Bell, Derrick Johnson, Kawika Mitchell and Keyaron Fox, it’s wide open. Rookies Boomer Grigsby and Kris Griffin both have good shots at making the club, and they are getting a lot of snaps in the kicking game. Everyone else is fighting for one, maybe two spots.

So Fujita, Barber, Caver, Stills, Scanlon, and Maz are fighting for 2-3 spots? Hard to pick if I can only take 2.

Mr. Kotter
08-19-2005, 09:00 AM
So Fujita, Barber, Caver, Stills, Scanlon, and Maz are fighting for 2-3 spots? Hard to pick if I can only take 2.

Not for me: Fujita and Scanlon....with Barber on IR. :hmmm:

TRR
08-19-2005, 09:01 AM

If it's two spots, it's very easy for me. Fujita and Stills no doubt. Both are good special teams players, and Fujita has shown good ability at LB in the past.

If it's three, I'd have to go with Barber. Barber is really coming around with his rehab, and I believe he is easily better than Caver, Scanlon or Mike Maslowski at this point.

ROYC75
08-19-2005, 09:02 AM

Says alot of how the Chiefs feel about Boomer & Griffin..... All reports appear to be good on Griffin ans with Boomer getting alot of reps and ass chewing from Gun.

IMHO....... this is what I see.....

Fujita ...... makes roster ... Making a point on ST's now.
Scanlon .... still up in the air, you hear nothing bad in camp , but nothing great either so far.
Stills .... still up in the air, DV likes him even thou he has had some TC breakdowns . :eek:
Barber ...... PUP / IR or injury settlement
Caver ..... Has been injured all camp, he'll be cut
Maz ...... Retire, injury settlement

Mr. Kotter
08-19-2005, 09:05 AM
If it's two spots, it's very easy for me. Fujita and Stills no doubt. Both are good special teams players, and Fujita has shown good ability at LB in the past.

If it's three, I'd have to go with Barber. Barber is really coming around with his rehab, and I believe he is easily better than Caver, Scanlon or Mike Maslowski at this point.

Stills may get the nod over Scanlon, because of ST and his ability to play DE....but I'm pullin' for Scanlon.

jiveturkey
08-19-2005, 09:06 AM
Barber ...... PUP / IR or injury settlement
They've already said that he's PUP and he'll give us some nice options come week 6. Someone like Fuj could get cut at that time.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-19-2005, 09:07 AM

Agreed. Remember when Fujita was our best linebacker a mere few months ago...... now he's fighting for a roster spot. I call that an upgrade.

:thumb:

HemiEd
08-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Great article by Gretz as usual.

ChiTown
08-19-2005, 09:15 AM
Linebackers will be:

Bell, Johnson, Mitchell, Fox, Grigsby, Fuji and Stills with an outside shot to Kris Griffin (if he can play ST's)

Billyjoebrave
08-19-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm pulling for Arrion Dixon if there is an extra DT spot. I hear he's been working extremely hard. He's 6'4" 308 and runs a 4.99 40, so he's got the size. He will continue to learn, and once he does and gets a little bigger and stronger, he could be a real asset to the team.

ROYC75
08-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Many times you hear Stills is looking good at OLB and many timesa you hear he is struggling .... What the hell do you believe ? Stills ST's play is solid, his LB's is questionable and we know he can line up at DE or blitz off the OLB position.

Scanlon plays all phases of ST's, backup MLB and can be used in goaline situations. You see him daily on ST's and some reps at MLB. You never hear or read of Gun going off on him. At the same time, you don't hear many praises on his play either, just a mere mention he has looked good and is solid.

Barber after week 6 would give us quality depth IF he is healthy. It usually takes 1 1/2, sometimes 2 years to fully recover a major knee operation. I have a hunch we go youth and speed and release him after week 6.

siberian khatru
08-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Interesting that Gretz didn't mention Scanlon.

KCTitus
08-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I guess the Chiefs are taking their show to Westport now.

jiveturkey
08-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I guess the Chiefs are taking their show to Westport now.Thems good fightin' down there.

ct
08-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Not for me: Fujita and Scanlon....with Barber on IR. :hmmm:

Considering only LB, I would agree. Except Stills will make the team, as I happen to agree w/ Gretz.

Dave Lane
08-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Great article by Gretz as usual.

Hi Bob!

Dave

TRR
08-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Scanlon plays all phases of ST's, backup MLB and can be used in goaline situations. You see him daily on ST's and some reps at MLB. You never hear or read of Gun going off on him. At the same time, you don't hear many praises on his play either, just a mere mention he has looked good and is solid.

That's because Scanlon hardly gets any reps in practice. He pretty much just sits on the sidelines with his helmet off. 9 times out of 10, Boomer Grigsby gets both the 2nd and 3rd team MLB reps in practice.

Scanlon is all over on ST's. Some days he runs with the 1st team kickoff, and some days he's removed for another player.

Gun Cunningham may never go off on him (because he doesn't get any reps), but Frank Gantz certainly does.

Stills is by far the superior player at this point in their careers. He is a Pro Bowl ST's player and can play both OLB spots, and both DE spots.

Rain Man
08-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Rainman disagrees with Blob about Brett Williams

No kidding. I think he only said that to taunt me.

Mr. Kotter
08-19-2005, 10:18 AM
That's because Scanlon hardly gets any reps in practice. He pretty much just sits on the sidelines with his helmet off. 9 times out of 10, Boomer Grigsby gets both the 2nd and 3rd team MLB reps in practice.

Scanlon is all over on ST's. Some days he runs with the 1st team kickoff, and some days he's removed for another player.

Gun Cunningham may never go off on him (because he doesn't get any reps), but Frank Gantz certainly does.

Stills is by far the superior player at this point in their careers. He is a Pro Bowl ST's player and can play both OLB spots, and both DE spots.

I think they are holdin' Scanlon out some, because of the NFLEurope time....but I agree; I think both make the squad initially, though. And when and if Barber gets back, there may be a tough decision to make...

ROYC75
08-19-2005, 10:22 AM

Or, the Chiefs could go with eight on the line and consider Gary Stills as a pass rushing end-linebacker-special teams performer.

Kinda what I see them doing again...........

TRR
08-19-2005, 10:22 AM
I think they are holdin' Scanlon out some, because of the NFLEurope time....but I agree; I think both make the squad initially, though. And when and if Barber gets back, there may be a tough decision to make...

Both Roy's keep bringing up this point too, and I think it's complete crap. Did they hold Mike Maslowski back when he came over from NFLE? No, he became our starting MLB. Did Dante Hall get held out because he had tired legs? No, he had to fight to win a roster spot.

Rich Scanlon is a dime a dozen. There is no reason to give a guy like that a break. He has to show that he can make the squad.

alanm
08-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Thems good fightin' down there.
ROFL :LOL: ROFL

Mr. Kotter
08-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Both Roy's keep bringing up this point too, and I think it's complete crap. Did they hold Mike Maslowski back when he came over from NFLE? No, he became our starting MLB. Did Dante Hall get held out because he had tired legs? No, he had to fight to win a roster spot.

Rich Scanlon is a dime a dozen. There is no reason to give a guy like that a break. He has to show that he can make the squad.

I guess we shall see.

ROYC75
08-19-2005, 10:57 AM

I only mentioned that the 1st 2 weeks when he was limping around.

But you are right,Rich has to step it up and take that spot. Time will tell.....

I guess you evaluation of Rich as a dime a dozen is because he doesn't have the sense of humor as Boomer ? Boomer spent 4 years in a smaller school to get those big numbers..... It could be Boomer was good enough to play for a bigger school, but he got little offers.

Rich was good enough to play for a big schools ........... He has talent that you keep failing to see or comment about.

Again........ time will tell. I want the best players out there for our Chiefs. If Rich makes the team, so be it........ If not, he will play elsewhere for somebody.

Chief Faithful
08-19-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm pulling for Arrion Dixon if there is an extra DT spot. I hear he's been working extremely hard. He's 6'4" 308 and runs a 4.99 40, so he's got the size. He will continue to learn, and once he does and gets a little bigger and stronger, he could be a real asset to the team.

I'm thinking Dixon is an excellent candidate for the practice squad. He can't really make a difference this year because he needs development, but as an undrafted free agent he is safe going through waivers.

I'm also starting to think Thorpe needs to be put on practice squad even though another team might want to pick him up.

Bob Dole
08-19-2005, 11:05 AM

Or no mention at all.

The rumor is that he over purses and is contemplating med school.

Bob Dole
08-19-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm also starting to think Thorpe needs to be put on practice squad even though another team might want to pick him up.

Well crap.

(Someone was bound to do it...)

KCTitus
08-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Or no mention at all.

I thought it was HVAC school?

ROYC75
08-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Or no mention at all.

It's good to have multiple options ....... :D

BigChiefFan
08-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Zach Ville was the best out of the scrubs, IMO.

wasi
08-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Zach Ville was the best out of the scrubs, IMO.

Yeah, he made a few nice plays in the first PS game. I'm looking to see him get some more reps against the cards.

the Talking Can
08-19-2005, 12:32 PM

I just can't see cutting Fujita, a solid vet backup who could play either side in a pinch...Maz and Barber are out, imho..Caver's shown me nothing...

Fujita
&
Stills (special teams skill) or Scanlon (potential??)

TEX
08-19-2005, 12:35 PM
If it’s nine, then Brett Williams would be that man; he’s probably shown the most improvement of any of the young linemen on the roster during training camp. He’s also shown his best position is guard, not tackle.

WTF? Willims - Improvement? What is Gertz watching??? Williams has no business being on a football field. Everytime the ball is snapped he gets ABUSED. It's beyond funny. He's so bad that when he gets called for holding, his guy STILL get's to our QB. :shake:

jiveturkey
08-19-2005, 12:39 PM
WTF? Willims - Improvement? What is Gertz watching??? Williams has no business being on a football field. Everytime the ball is snapped he gets ABUSED. It's beyond funny. He's so bad that when he gets called for holding, his guy STILL get's to our QB. :shake:Who would you keep as the 9th OLmen?

I'm not saying that he's good but I don't see anyone else standing out as the 9th option.

TEX
08-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Who would you keep as the 9th OLmen?

I'm not saying that he's good but I don't see anyone else standing out as the 9th option.

I don't believe in keeping anyone that $ucks as bad as Williams does. I'd only keep 8 and go with an extra guy at some other position. Or if I did keep 9 I'd pick someone else up. It's not like the CHIEFS couldn't find someone as good or better off the scrap pile.

B_Ambuehl
08-19-2005, 01:35 PM
I don't see how you can cut Stills even though another guy might have more potential....that guy's a football player and a special teams ace.

I'd actually like to see Scanlon get cut for his benefit. It doesn't look like he's ever gonna get a chance to play on this football team but if he were in a place like New England he'd be competing for a starting job right now.

TRR
08-19-2005, 01:51 PM
I only mentioned that the 1st 2 weeks when he was limping around.

But you are right,Rich has to step it up and take that spot. Time will tell.....

I guess you evaluation of Rich as a dime a dozen is because he doesn't have the sense of humor as Boomer ? Boomer spent 4 years in a smaller school to get those big numbers..... It could be Boomer was good enough to play for a bigger school, but he got little offers.

Rich was good enough to play for a big schools ........... He has talent that you keep failing to see or comment about.

Again........ time will tell. I want the best players out there for our Chiefs. If Rich makes the team, so be it........ If not, he will play elsewhere for somebody.

He's nothing more than a career backup at best. A 3rd stringer/Practice Squad candidate. You would have thought the same thing too if you would have been up in River Falls, and watched him live. The only play I watched Scanlon make in 5 days is getting run over by Dee Brown.

This big school/small school stuff is nonsense. Boomer has "something." I can't say the same for Rich Scanlon. The guy looks like every other scrub that's brought in to get pounded on.

TRR
08-19-2005, 01:53 PM
I'd actually like to see Scanlon get cut for his benefit. It doesn't look like he's ever gonna get a chance to play on this football team but if he were in a place like New England he'd be competing for a starting job right now.

ROFL ...The only thing Scanlon is going to be competing for his to make the squad on any NFL roster.