PDA

View Full Version : AP Sports:Chiefs Face Cards in Home Preseason Opener

Nzoner
08-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Vermeil on the defense as taken from the article.

They're ahead of where they were last year,'' Vermeil said. "It ain't even close. And all I have to do is look at the takeaways, the interceptions they've had. We're way ahead, and I think the temperament of the defense, the discipline within the scheme, the fundamentals within the scheme, we're better there.'' (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9007237/)

Chiefs face Cardinals in home preseason opener

By DOUG TUCKER
Associated Press Sports
Updated: 1:38 p.m. ET Aug. 19, 2005

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - A couple of old friends who've meant a lot to each other will get together in Kansas City on Saturday night with no chance to talk over old times.

Dick Vermeil will be trying to get his injury-weakened Kansas City Chiefs a good tuneup for the regular season while Kurt Warner is busy restarting a career that at its peak took Vermeil's St. Louis Rams to the 2000 Super Bowl championship.

Now Warner is quarterbacking the Arizona Cardinals, who meet Vermeil's Chiefs in their second exhibition game Saturday night.

Vermeil says he's certain of one thing: The Cardinals will be glad to have his former Super Bowl MVP.

"Kurt Warner is the No. 2-rated quarterback in history of the National Football League. He's a great player,'' the Chiefs coach said. "We're not game-planning to stop Kurt Warner. We're just going in to play defense, probably just like they are, just coming to play defense.''

In a 13-11 victory last week over Dallas, Warner marked his Arizona debut by hitting 14 of 19 passes for 151 yards, including a 31-yard touchdown strike to Larry Fitzgerald.

He'll be out Saturday night to gain an even finer comfort level.

"Just getting a good feel with the receivers, the timing aspect of things, and continuing to build confidence in those guys, to know they're going to be where I expect them to be or I know where they're going to be based on how they run routes,'' Warner said.

"And that's where I want to get at this point. I feel very comfortable with the offense and my reads within it, I feel good with seeing the field and those things, and now just the finer things of the game.''

Arizona also will welcome Marcel Shipp and Anquan Boldin back to its ranks. Neither has played in an exhibition game since 2003.

Shipp, listed as rookie J.J. Arrington's backup at running back, led the Cardinals in rushing in 2002 and '03 but broke his left leg and dislocated his left ankle during a scrimmage last season.

Boldin, a wide receiver, broke his nose during a routine drill earlier this month. He returned to practice this week fitted with a clear plastic shield inside his faceguard for protection.

The Chiefs, coming off a lackluster 27-16 loss last week to Minnesota, have much to work on. The first-team offense failed to score a touchdown and their defense, bristling with new starters and a supposedly new attitude, did little to distinguish itself.

One key newcomer, outside linebacker Kendrell Bell, will miss a second straight week. Bell missed much of last season with a groin injury and has been slowed in his first Chiefs camp with a shoulder problem.

"Next week at this time Kendrell should be getting ready to play a few snaps,'' said Vermeil.

Keyaron Fox, the top backup linebacker on both outside positions, will also be out. But the home crowd will get its first opportunity to see rookie linebacker Derrick Johnson, the No. 1 draft choice, who has looked impressive in camp.

Despite the injuries to Bell, Fox and defensive end Carlos Hall, Vermeil said he was heading into the rest of the exhibition season confident the defense had shown marked improvement.

Fans, impatient for improvement after three straight seasons of woeful defense, will be watching closely to see if he's right.

"They're ahead of where they were last year,'' Vermeil said. "It ain't even close. And all I have to do is look at the takeaways, the interceptions they've had. We're way ahead, and I think the temperament of the defense, the discipline within the scheme, the fundamentals within the scheme, we're better there.''

mlyonsd
08-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Please, nobody get hurt tonight.

the Talking Can
08-20-2005, 09:09 AM
"Next week at this time Kendrell should be getting ready to play a few snaps,'' said Vermeil.

"should" is not "will"

mlyonsd
08-20-2005, 09:23 AM

"should" is not "will"

I'm getting nervous about Bell. A LB with a sore shoulder is not a good thing.

BigChiefFan
08-20-2005, 10:10 AM
This should be a decent measuring stick at how improved our defense is. I hope the D brings it.

Bob Dole
08-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Bob Dole can't wait until Monday morning at 9am when the ****ing NFL Network finally gets around to showing the damned thing.

Oh wait. Bob Dole has a job and won't get to watch the thing until Monday evening.

DTLB58
08-20-2005, 10:35 AM
This should be a decent measuring stick at how improved our defense is. I hope the D brings it.

Yea, That's what we said last week before the Viking game. :rolleyes:

Ultra Peanut
08-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Jerome Woods will have at least one interception.

|Zach|
08-20-2005, 12:11 PM
I don't think any part of the preseason is a very good measuring stick.

Nzoner
08-20-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't think any part of the preseason is a very good measuring stick.

The only time that jumps out at me was I believe in '98,the Vikes went 4-0 in preseason and were putting up great numbers,they carried that into the season and went 15-1.Of course they lost the NFC Championship to Jamal Anderson and the rest of the dirty birds in the Metrodome.

|Zach|
08-20-2005, 12:24 PM
The only time that jumps out at me was I believe in '98,the Vikes went 4-0 in preseason and were putting up great numbers,they carried that into the season and went 15-1.Of course they lost the NFC Championship to Jamal Anderson and the rest of the dirty birds in the Metrodome.
We looked pretty damn sharp last year...and you see how the beg. of that season panned out.

Watching preseason won't change much for me good or bad.

BigChiefFan
08-20-2005, 12:35 PM
I don't think any part of the preseason is a very good measuring stick.Believe it or not, It does serve it's purpose. I've watched alot of the preseason games this year and it's a very good evaluating tool. Certain players have already stood out on teams. It lets coaches evaluate whether or not a player can carry over what they've learned it practice and execute the plays in real time.

|Zach|
08-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Believe it or not, It does serve it's purpose. I've watched alot of the preseason games this year and it's a very good evaluating tool. Certain players have already stood out on teams. It lets coaches evaluate whether or not a player can carry over what they've learned it practice and execute the plays in real time.
I totally agree with you that it serves its purpose. I just don't think its a measuring stick as far as our sucess or possible lack of it this season.

Nzoner
08-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Watching preseason won't change much for me good or bad.

I'm in agreement with ya,I was just recalling the only time that jumped out at me when a team took a preseason roll right into the season.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-20-2005, 12:52 PM
After the first preseason game, I start counting down the days until the opener and hope for no bad injuries in between then.