PDA

View Full Version : linebackers: odd men out?

Mr. Laz
08-20-2005, 04:22 PM
keeping 6??

OLB
56 Derrick Johnson
51 Scott Fujita
55 Gary Stills

MLB
50 Kawika Mitchell
91 Rich Scanlon
95 Boomer Grigsby
57 Mike Maslowski **

ROLB
99 Kendrell Bell
97 Keyaron Fox
66 Kris Griffin
52 Quinton Caver
59 Shawn Barber **

possible PUP/IR list

whoman69
08-20-2005, 04:32 PM
I think Stills makes it just for ST. Fuji is pretty good on ST as well. Gone are Caver, Griffin, Maz with Barber on PUP. Grigsby goes to the practice squad.

the Talking Can
08-20-2005, 04:34 PM
the fight would seem to be between Fujta/Stills and Boomer/Scanlon with Bell, Mitchell, DJ, and Fox as locks

but Griffin is starting tonight, so he has a chance to impress...

go bo
08-20-2005, 04:39 PM
i hate to see griffin go...

the reports on him from camp were so good...

and i don't think boomer goes to the practice squad...

he wouldn't clear waivers and he's gonna be a beast on special teams once he learns what to do...

i think they keep 7, with stills being the extra and poor rich back to the practice squad or some such (sorry, roys)...

booger
08-20-2005, 04:45 PM
We keep 7 IMO Maybe 8

Bell Johnson Mitchell Fox are locks. They list Scanlon as 2nd string but Boomer gets almost all of the practice reps with the 2nds and 3rds and played the most in the min game. He seems like Mitchells backup with Scanlon a long shot now IMO

At olb that leaves 2 spots between Stills Fujita Caver and Griffin. Caver is pretty much a goner. You'd think Fuj would have a good shot, but they aren't moving him into the ROLB spot tonight. At least not starting.

Fox has played and learned both OLB spots and Griffin started out at LOLB and now at ROLB. The way I see it they will give Griffin every opportunity to make this team.

As for Stills, I could see them keeping 8lbs and 8DLinemen with Stills as a backup for both DE and OLB. All depends on if Khari Long can get healthy and make a push.

I wouldn't say Fujita is a long spot yet but has to make some impressions to keep a roster spot. He did make a big hit on kickoff coverage last week but still has to step up on st's. He might be one guy we could trade for a mid round pick if we decide the others are ready to step up.

Just the way I see it.

JimNasium
08-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Scanlon is not going to get better than he is now. Boomer has potential. Seems like an easy decision to me.

jiveturkey
08-20-2005, 05:15 PM
but Griffin is starting tonight, so he has a chance to impress...Where is this info coming from?

booger
08-20-2005, 05:24 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/08/20/game_summary_cardinals/

For JiveTurkey

mlyonsd
08-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Scanlon is not going to get better than he is now. Boomer has potential. Seems like an easy decision to me.

I thought Boomer looked small last week and as a result was pushed around. I'll be watching close again tonight to see if it was an unjustified opinion.

ROYC75
08-20-2005, 05:28 PM

:shake:
Source .... Link ?

jiveturkey
08-20-2005, 05:30 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/08/20/game_summary_cardinals/

For JiveTurkeyYou gets teh rep. :clap:

JimNasium
:shake:
Source .... Link ?
You are always entitled to your opinion. I guess I didn't know you felt so strongly about Mr. Scanlon. :rolleyes:

booger
You gets teh rep. :clap:
:thumb:

jiveturkey
08-20-2005, 05:32 PM
You are always entitled to your opinion. I guess I didn't know you felt so strongly about Mr. Scanlon. :rolleyes:
Where the f@ck have you been? :hmmm:

milkman
08-20-2005, 05:37 PM
OLB
56 Derrick Johnson
55 Gary Stills
99 Kendrell Bell
97 Keyaron Fox
66 Kris Griffin
(59 Shawn Barber PUP)

MLB
50 Kawika Mitchell
95 Boomer Grigsby
(Mike Maslowski PUP)

This is my best guess.
Gopher could be signed to the PS is he clears waiver.
Stills makes it because of his STs prowess.

ROYC75
08-20-2005, 05:37 PM

Although we all have our opinions, I fail to see where you see Boomer has more upside and Rich will never get better ?

Both are very young........ anything can happen with young players.

jiveturkey
08-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Although we all have our opinions, I fail to see where you see Boomer has more upside and Rich will never get better ?

Both are very young........ anything can happen with young players.Boomer's the new toy and everyone prefers the new toy.

milkman
08-20-2005, 05:42 PM
I thought Boomer looked small last week and as a result was pushed around. I'll be watching close again tonight to see if it was an unjustified opinion.

I thought he was pushed around a bit, but that it was more as a result of his uncertainty because he is stiil learning this D.

But I think he makes this team because he has more potential than Gopher.

JimNasium
08-20-2005, 05:47 PM

Both are very young........ anything can happen with young players.
We will see who is right on this point. I doubt that both make the regular squad. Draft choice vs. UDFA. I think rookie draft choice wins. YMMV.

htismaqe
08-20-2005, 07:00 PM
I hate to agree with Roy, but right now I can't for the life of me see why anybody would be impressed with Boomer. He's looked lost, tentative, weak, and just about everything else.

ROYC75
08-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Boomer is a fan favorite for his media comments and spirit of the game. It will take time for him to learn the NFL scheme Gun has, if he is talented as many say he is, he will do well.

As for me, I can't say, I watched very little of last weeks game and have to wait till Monday AM to watch this one. Mostly just the 1st half and parts of the final quarter.

As for who is better between Boomer and Scanlon ? I can't say, haven't seen Boomer play enough to have a valued opinion. As for understanding the scheme, I would think Rich would have a leg up having been in the system from last year. Right now that 2nd MLB spot is open, regardless who has taken the most snaps to date in Training camp.

Unless there is an injury to Mitchell, neither will see the field unless a goaline or ST's play.

Mecca
08-20-2005, 08:12 PM
It's tougher for all of them now because Kris Griffin just showed me more than Boomer, Scanlon, Stills, and Fox and atleast as much as Fujita. He's gotta make this team.

milkman
08-20-2005, 08:20 PM
I hate to agree with Roy, but right now I can't for the life of me see why anybody would be impressed with Boomer. He's looked lost, tentative, weak, and just about everything else.

It's more about a small school LB showing enough potential that the Chiefs drafted him, as opposed to a guy that went to Syacuse, that the Chiefs didn't feel was worthy of a pick.

Add the difference in mentality, and if Gun feels that they are close in terms of potential at this point, and he has any say, he'll keep the guy that brings the attitude.

htismaqe
08-20-2005, 08:35 PM
It's more about a small school LB showing enough potential that the Chiefs drafted him, as opposed to a guy that went to Syacuse, that the Chiefs didn't feel was worthy of a pick.

Add the difference in mentality, and if Gun feels that they are close in terms of potential at this point, and he has any say, he'll keep the guy that brings the attitude.

It's about the fact that our current starting MLB has been hurt to start both of his professional seasons. There's no room for potential because we're only keeping 2 MLB's. We need guy that can start if need be, and so far that guy isn't Boomer.

B_Ambuehl
08-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Although we all have our opinions, I fail to see where you see Boomer has more upside and Rich will never get better

Gotta agree with this one. IMO Scanlon might be the best middle linebacker we have. I watched every defensive play 3 x tonight and Scanlon was the only Mike that can consistently shed blocks and he's bigger then the other 2 and doesn't get pushed off to one side very often. When he was in there tonight he was blowing up everything even if he didn't make the tackle and he looks like he has enough of a hold on the defense that he's playing on instinct.

ILChief
08-20-2005, 10:39 PM
I say we'll keep 7, and they are:

Johnson
Bell
Mitchell
Fox
Fujita
Grigsby
Scanlon

Griffin to practice squad, Barber to PUP

booger
08-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Grisby has done nothing to this point to earn the backup MLB job. He has show some flashes but really looks bad at times too. Way too inconsistant. Not to mention not really impressing on special teams either.

At this point there is no reason to think he wouldn't clear waivers for the practice squad. Unless some team has enough depth to carry him as an inactive guy on game day. We don't, not at MLB.

Griffin on the other hand I'd say there is a good chance he'd get picked up for depth and special teams. He is pretty close to nailing down a spot IMO.

Kylo Ren
08-20-2005, 11:03 PM
keeping 6??

OLB
56 Derrick Johnson
51 Scott Fujita
55 Gary Stills

MLB
50 Kawika Mitchell
91 Rich Scanlon
95 Boomer Grigsby
57 Mike Maslowski **

ROLB
99 Kendrell Bell
97 Keyaron Fox
66 Kris Griffin
52 Quinton Caver
59 Shawn Barber **

possible PUP/IR list

We usually keep 7, but we'll keep 8.
Derrick Johnson
Kawika Mitchell
Kendrell Bell
Scott Mitchell
Boomer Grigsby
Keyaron Fox
Gary Stills - he's a special teams ace and can fill in at DE
Scanlon or Griffin - one will be on the PS and one will make the roster

TRR
08-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Starters: Bell, Mitchell, DJ

Backups: Boomer, Fox, Fujita, Stills, Griffin

Scanlon will make the practice squad, and Barber will be on the pup list.

Scanlon hasn't shown enough to put him on the 53 man roster. If it comes down to Scanlon or Griffin, it's an easy choice.

ROYC75
08-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Starters: Bell, Mitchell, DJ

Backups: Boomer, Fox, Fujita, Stills, Griffin

Scanlon will make the practice squad, and Barber will be on the pup list.

Scanlon hasn't shown enough to put him on the 53 man roster. If it comes down to Scanlon or Griffin, it's an easy choice.

OK, not argue here, but just what has Boomer shown ? I'm the first to tell you, I watched little of last weeks game, none of tonights and haven't seen TC practices.

At least Rich has shown he can be productive in NFLE, which is not 1st or 2nd string talent, however I do feel it is at least as good if not better than most 4th string talent.

I mentioned that You didn't hear of Rich in TC getting his ass chewed out much. As for Boomer, he is a rookie making rookie mistakes and Gun has been inside his ass and out a few times. I'm not saying he isn't / can't be good, like I said, I have not got to watch him play any, the lone exception a little last week against Minny. IMHO, I felt he was strickly rookie material with alot to learn.

I have heard many members here speak of Rich being better than Boomer as much as Boomer being better than Rich.

Again, What has Boomer shown you to this point ?

htismaqe
08-21-2005, 05:49 AM
I'll say it again.

So far all Boomer has shown me is that he can strap on a helmet. If there's something he could do wrong, he's done it on just about every play.

Coogs
08-21-2005, 08:07 AM
During the game last night when CP was in the booth talking about the team, he was asked about Scanlon making the team. IIRC, CP said something like "it depends on if we keep 7 or 8 LB's. If we keep 8 he will."

Now I had put away several brews by this point in the game, so I could be mistaken, but if some of you that have taped the game want to pay attention to CP's comments, feel free to correct my interpratation of what CP said.

the Talking Can
08-21-2005, 08:09 AM
During the game last night when CP was in the booth talking about the team, he was asked about Scanlon making the team. IIRC, CP said something like "it depends on if we keep 7 or 8 LB's. If we keep 8 he will."

I thought he said, "I'm Satan. I eat children.

ROYC75
08-21-2005, 11:17 AM
I thought he said, "I'm Satan. I eat children.

ROFL To John Tait, he was Satan. STFU

ROYC75
08-21-2005, 11:18 AM
ROFL To John Tait, he was Satan. STFU

CP back tracking ? During the World Bowl , he claimed Scanlon would be on our 53 man roster........

Imagine that, a GM with a forked tounge ? :eek:

philfree
08-22-2005, 12:16 AM
I think Griffin moves ahead of Fox after the Cards game. He looked good and did a good job as the starter.

PhilFree:arrow: