PDA

View Full Version : Gretz: A Half-Step Forward

Chiefs Pantalones
08-21-2005, 07:54 PM
GRETZ: A Half-Step Forward
Aug 21, 2005, 8:22:44 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

Ok, so at least it was better than last week.

If you happen to be one of the red and gold crazies who couldn’t watch Saturday night’s pre-season game between the Chiefs and Cardinals and rolled tape or Tivo let me give you with a warning: watch the first half, then destroy the second half. Don’t even bother.

The “real” Chiefs showed improvement from week one to week two and that’s what this month before the real games are played is all about. The guys that are going to make Dick Vermeil’s roster for the opener on September 11th left the field with a 10-0 lead at half-time.

That the Chiefs lost 24-17 to the Cardinals was testimony to a very poor second half effort, especially from the offense, as Damon Huard threw a pair of interceptions, one that was taken back for a touchdown. He was one of 12 throwing the ball. In fact, all second half quarterbacks combined were 10 of 45; that’s not even a completion percentage of 25 percent.

What mattered was the first half and the Chiefs defense really stepped forward from the Minnesota game. Gunther Cunningham unleashed the blitzing hounds on Kurt Warner and the Arizona quarterback was running for his life most of the half. The Chiefs did not sack him, but they disrupted the Arizona offense that went three plays and out, four plays and fumble and three plays and out in its first three possessions.

Warner did burn the Chiefs for a long 49-yard TD pass, but the score was wiped out by a needless 10-yard holding penalty on left tackle Leonard Davis. After Warner released the pass, Davis threw blitzing linebacker Scott Fujita to the ground. If a zebra sees that, it’s a guaranteed penalty; offensive linemen are told that every year. It was just a stupid penalty, of which there were plenty on both sides in this game: 14 for the Cardinals and nine against the Chiefs.

Dexter McCleon was beaten on that negated touchdown, but it was the only time an Arizona receiver really got behind the Chiefs secondary. Defensive end Eric Hicks had the best game of any Kansas City defender and middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell wasn’t too far behind.

Offensively, the Chiefs got Samie Parker into the offense in a big way. He only caught two passes for 14 yards, but he picked up three pass interference calls against Arizona cornerback David Macklin. He ran a nice double move that had Macklin tripping over his own feet when he scored on an eight-yard pass from Trent Green.

Mind you everything wasn’t perfect. The No. 1 offense had four possessions and scored only one touchdown. The Chiefs running game did not get into gear against the Cardinals. Priest Holmes ripped off a 13-yard run on his first carry and then gained just three yards on his next seven touches. That’s pretty ugly. Larry Johnson had better luck, averaging 5.4 yards on his nine carries. Kris Wilson, who started the game at tight end did not catch a pass. In fact, I’m not sure one was even thrown in his direction.

Defensively, the Chiefs did not get a sack and they were able to recover just one fumble, without any interceptions. That’s two games, and just two takeaways and only one sack.

And the sad saga of kicker Lawrence Tynes continued, as he missed two of the three field goals he attempted, pushing it wide right from 38 and 46 yards. That’s four of seven for the pre-season and that’s not good enough. As he always is with kickers and punters, Dick Vermeil was blunt when talking about Tynes: “He’s in the tank. You miss two field goals like that … not in the National Football League … we have a real concern.”

The Chiefs will bring in another kicker; at this point they must, whether to compete with Tynes or simply take his place. But they may wait until after pre-season game No. 3 and the NFL’s first mandatory cutdown. A lot of teams that have two kickers on their roster will be slicing one in that first cut, which would provide the Chiefs with more options off the waiver wire.

What happened in the second half really isn’t worth much analysis, other than the guys who won’t make the Cardinals roster were much better than the guys who won’t make the Chiefs roster. A bunch of guys wearing red and gold made the job of the Vermeil, Carl Peterson and the personnel department a whole lot easier in this game; they played their way right out of the NFL.

That group got extended playing time because 25 players on the Chiefs roster did not dress for the game, including six potential starters: Will Shields, Tony Gonzalez, John Browning, Kendrell Bell, Eric Warfield and Kevin Sampson.

So all in all, with the guys that count, the Chiefs improved. A tougher test comes next weekend with Seattle.

Bowser
08-21-2005, 08:07 PM
And the Hicks fluff-fest continues!

Derrick Johnson was out of position once, and made at least two impact plays. Yet he gets excluded from The Mad Gretz's list of best defensive players of the game. What?

jAZ
08-21-2005, 08:17 PM
With our offense, I'll take 3 consecutive series' of 3-and-out followed by one TD (no matter how long) any day of the week...

milkman
08-21-2005, 08:22 PM
I couldn't see the game, so will someone, anyone, please tell me exactly what Hicks did that has Gretz saying he had "the best game of any Chief defender"?

I heard his name mentioned a couple of times, and one of those was when he couldn't chase down Warner, who is about as fleet of foot as a turtle on downers.

TEX
08-21-2005, 08:24 PM
And the Hicks fluff-fest continues!

Derrick Johnson was out of position once, and made at least two impact plays. Yet he gets excluded from The Mad Gretz's list of best defensive players of the game. What?

Yep. That one where he blitzed and ran over (not around) the RB and got to Warner was sweet!

C-Mac
08-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Yep. That one where he blitzed and ran over (not around) the RB and got to Warner was sweet!

That was darn near the play of the game...

morphius
08-21-2005, 11:09 PM
I couldn't see the game, so will someone, anyone, please tell me exactly what Hicks did that has Gretz saying he had "the best game of any Chief defender"?

I heard his name mentioned a couple of times, and one of those was when he couldn't chase down Warner, who is about as fleet of foot as a turtle on downers.
As much as I dislike him as a "leader" he did help on the pass rush more then he had in the past. You would have to credit him for a couple forced throws by Kurt. I don't know that it was "great", but better then some of his other efforts and the pressure was actually there early instead of being there when the guy had all day to scan the field, though that did happen once as well and the ball did land incomplete.

Halfcan
08-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Gretz has been as relevant as Elizabeth Merril lately. Red and Gold crazies-does he men x factor?

Hicks had some pressure finally, but best players status???? That is kind of a slam on Knight who recovered the fumble he was talking about. And Surtain was dominating. You guys have allready mentioned DJ.
I am surprised he didn't take the oppurtunity to praise Peterson or take his usual shot at the "tin throats" on radio.

DJJasonp
08-21-2005, 11:36 PM
Hicks couldnt catch Warner because Warner was running scared as fast as he could in the opposite direction of the line of scrimmage....

I'm tellin' ya though.....We're not going to see too many bootlegs for 10-15 yds as long as DJ is in the game. Several times against both Minnesota and Arizona I've seen DJ make up ground sideline to sideline and force the QB out of bounds (or throw it away).

God I hope DJ sends Plummer to a dirtnap in week 3!

Halfcan
08-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Yes we can only hope. Monday Night Football and DJ breaks Jake the Fakes legs. Sounds good to me. He all ready has a knee brace-lets turn it into a cast.

philfree
08-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Hicks couldnt catch Warner because Warner was running scared as fast as he could in the opposite direction of the line of scrimmage....

I'm tellin' ya though.....We're not going to see too many bootlegs for 10-15 yds as long as DJ is in the game. Several times against both Minnesota and Arizona I've seen DJ make up ground sideline to sideline and force the QB out of bounds (or throw it away).

God I hope DJ sends Plummer to a dirtnap in week 3!

The first play from scrimmage against the Cards says it all. DJ started in and the ball was dumped to the RB in the flat and it looked wide open. DJ changed direction and and ran the guy out of bounds for maybe a 2 yard gain. Last year it would have prolly been a 10 yard or more play. Not this year!

PhilFree:arrow:

philfree
08-22-2005, 12:08 AM

The D line as a whole got good push and Hicks was in the backfield the whole first half. Wilkerson I thought did O.K. and I'd start him again next week. I fear Allen is looking like he's heading for a Sophmore Slump. I hope not but it kinda looks that way to me.

Imon Yourside
08-22-2005, 01:23 AM
The D line as a whole got good push and Hicks was in the backfield the whole first half. Wilkerson I thought did O.K. and I'd start him again next week. I fear Allen is looking like he's heading for a Sophmore Slump. I hope not but it kinda looks that way to me.

I'm rewatching the game again and I can safely say Hicks was his usual self. He was in the backfield 2 times. Once he was left unblocked and was only 4 steps away from warner. the other was on a screen play and man did he shed that blocker quick, only problem was it was a little too quick. :rolleyes:

C-Mac
08-22-2005, 01:28 AM
I'm rewatching the game again and I can safely say Hicks was his usual self. He was in the backfield 2 times. Once he was left unblocked and was only 4 steps away from warner. the other was on a screen play and man did he shed that blocker quick, only problem was it was a little too quick. :rolleyes:

I respectfully disagree.
I thought Hicks played very well.

philfree
08-22-2005, 01:34 AM

I'm not up for no Hicks love fest but I guess we saw the game differently. We didn't get a sack but we were awfully disruptive in the first half. We missed two or three sacks we shoulda had but the intentional grounding wasn't called when Warner ducked and chucked.

Imon Yourside
08-22-2005, 01:39 AM
I'm not up for no Hicks love fest but I guess we saw the game differently. We didn't get a sack but we were awfully disruptive in the first half. We missed two or three sacks we shoulda had but the intentional grounding wasn't called when Warner ducked and chucked.

that comment was specific to hicks, otherwise the defense definitely played very well. I'm of course excluding the human torch (mccleon) I think Sapp looked pretty good.

philfree
08-22-2005, 01:55 AM
that comment was specific to hicks, otherwise the defense definitely played very well. I'm of course excluding the human torch (mccleon) I think Sapp looked pretty good.

Well I can agree about McCleon and Sapp.