PDA

View Full Version : What kickers are available in FA right now?

jAZ
08-21-2005, 08:49 PM
And which teams have 2 serviceable kickers battling for 1 roster spot?

Just looking for a fairly comprehensive list.

So far, I've read mentions of:

Morton Andersen
Martin & Bill Gramatica

... and... that's about it.

Who else is a consideration as a 2nd kicker in camp?

Deberg_1990
08-21-2005, 08:53 PM
I have no idea?? But i wonder if we aquire Morton Anderson back, can Colquitt kickoff??? Anyone know if he did it in college?

RealSNR
08-21-2005, 09:52 PM
I've heard Matt Bryant may get cut.

But he's shit in a bag. As much as Tynes is. And he's never punched a bouncer before

nychief
08-21-2005, 09:55 PM
there is no one, unless you want one of the terrible Gramatica bros.

Chan93lx50
08-21-2005, 10:00 PM
there is no one, unless you want one of the terrible Gramatica bros.

What in the hell happened to those guys anyway? Didnt they used to be money?

Kickers are a weird breed

HolmeZz
08-21-2005, 10:09 PM
I heard Edinger might get cut. I'd take him over Tynes.

jAZ
08-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Martin Gramatica was a stud in Tampa his first 3 years. Bill was only average.

(this based on FFL performance only)

nychief
08-21-2005, 10:17 PM
AUTOMATICA GRAMATICA... got the yipps. He kicked for Indy a little last year and hit under 60%.... terrible. Bill's career was over when he blew out his knee celebrating like a girl - he was in camp with Giants last year and didn't make it.

HemiEd
08-21-2005, 10:47 PM
AUTOMATICA GRAMATICA... got the yipps. He kicked for Indy a little last year and hit under 60%.... terrible. Bill's career was over when he blew out his knee celebrating like a girl - he was in camp with Giants last year and didn't make it.

Yipps come and go for golfers. A long putter helps, maybe a goofy shoe would help Gramatica. That is strange as hell how he has gotten so bad.

TRR
08-21-2005, 10:51 PM
I heard Edinger might get cut. I'd take him over Tynes.

I've always been a fan of Edinger. The guy seems pretty consistent, although I may be wrong. He looked great in warmups for the Vikes, and great in the game against KC.

tk13
08-21-2005, 10:58 PM
I've always been a fan of Edinger. The guy seems pretty consistent, although I may be wrong. He looked great in warmups for the Vikes, and great in the game against KC.
He used to be pretty decent, nothing great. Last two years though he's not been very consistent at all. Last two years he was 41-60 on FG's, 8 misses inside 40 yards. The Bears saw enough and cut him loose.

TRR
08-21-2005, 11:00 PM
He used to be pretty decent, nothing great. Last two years though he's not been very consistent at all. Last two years he was 41-60 on FG's, 8 misses inside 40 yards. The Bears saw enough and cut him loose.

Good to know. I get a lot of Bears coverage where I live, so I've seen him kick quite a bit. I don't remember Edinger ever kicking off though.

FWIW, I would take Edinger over Tynes in a heartbeat. Tynes has rubbed me the wrong way on and off the field.

RealSNR
08-21-2005, 11:01 PM
The Falcons have two kickers.

Jay Feeley

AND..............................

Todd Peterson

We need to watch this situation very closely

:D

tk13
08-21-2005, 11:06 PM
Good to know. I get a lot of Bears coverage where I live, so I've seen him kick quite a bit. I don't remember Edinger ever kicking off though.

FWIW, I would take Edinger over Tynes in a heartbeat. Tynes has rubbed me the wrong way on and off the field.
I'm thinking the Vikings are going to keep him and cut Elling, who I don't think is any better than Tynes.

Really, I'm not sure Edinger is any better than Tynes at this point either. Seems like all these guys that are going to be out there are going to be 60-70% type kickers. Tynes can do that, he was better than that last year. It is illogical to just trash all that information over two preseason games.

TRR
08-21-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm thinking the Vikings are going to keep him and cut Elling, who I don't think is any better than Tynes.

Really, I'm not sure Edinger is any better than Tynes at this point either. Seems like all these guys that are going to be out there are going to be 60-70% type kickers. Tynes can do that, he was better than that last year. It is illogical to just trash all that information over two preseason games.

I have more issues with Tynes than just one. Not only is his accuracy not good, but his kickoffs have never been very impressive (the reason they kept him, and cut Mort), he's getting in trouble off the field, and he flat out terrifies me on PAT's. Add in the fact that his leg from long distance hasn't been good, and I'm ready to go with someone else.

tk13
08-21-2005, 11:11 PM
I have more issues with Tynes than just one. Not only is his accuracy not good, but his kickoffs have never been very impressive (the reason they kept him, and cut Mort), he's getting in trouble off the field, and he flat out terrifies me on PAT's. Add in the fact that his leg from long distance hasn't been good, and I'm ready to go with someone else.
I don't think Tynes kickoffs are as bad as everybody makes them out to be. He's not the best in the league but he's not horrible. He was like 11th in the NFL in touchbacks last year... I hear the name Gramatica brought up a lot for kickoffs since he's considered such a great long ball kicker, and Gramatica's numbers are almost exactly like Tynes, even last year when Gramatica got to kick indoors for the Colts and Tynes was kicking on Arrowhead's cold crappy turf.

DenverChief
08-21-2005, 11:13 PM
The Falcons have two kickers.

Jay Feeley

AND..............................

Todd Peterson

We need to watch this situation very closely

:D

I will personally drive to arrowhead and kick CP in the nuts if he signs peterson

RealSNR
08-21-2005, 11:15 PM
Imagine what would happen if we signed Gramatica with Sauerbrun in the same division

TRR
08-21-2005, 11:17 PM
I don't think Tynes kickoffs are as bad as everybody makes them out to be. He's not the best in the league but he's not horrible. He was like 11th in the NFL in touchbacks last year... I hear the name Gramatica brought up a lot for kickoffs since he's considered such a great long ball kicker, and Gramatica's numbers are almost exactly like Tynes, even last year when Gramatica got to kick indoors for the Colts and Tynes was kicking on Arrowhead's cold crappy turf.

Still not impressed. Bottom line is that Tynes doesn't do any one thing well. There's nothing to hang your hat on with the guy. He's a decent NFL kicker at best. If he was money inside the 40 like Mort, I could look past some of his other problems. If he were in the top 5 in kickoffs, I could look past some of his other problems...The guy just has nothing that jumps out at me...Never has.

RealSNR
08-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Still not impressed. Bottom line is that Tynes doesn't do any one thing well. There's nothing to hang your hat on with the guy. He's a decent NFL kicker at best. If he was money inside the 40 like Mort, I could look past some of his other problems. If he were in the top 5 in kickoffs, I could look past some of his other problems...The guy just has nothing that jumps out at me...Never has.I have a soft spot for Tynes. His rookie year with us back when it was between Todd Peterson and him, I took my little cousin to training camp. He came over to us on the fence during an afternoon practice and chatted and signed my cousin's hat. My cousin said, "he's my favorite player."

Then he kept getting cut and brought back and cut again until finally he beat out Morten for the job. I stuck by him when he was struggling and when he won the spot I was very happy for him.

I know that means shit, but I just really wish this kid could've done well

tk13
08-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Still not impressed. Bottom line is that Tynes doesn't do any one thing well. There's nothing to hang your hat on with the guy. He's a decent NFL kicker at best. If he was money inside the 40 like Mort, I could look past some of his other problems. If he were in the top 5 in kickoffs, I could look past some of his other problems...The guy just has nothing that jumps out at me...Never has.
Probably not, but how many kickers are what you just described?

You sound like you want the Priest Holmes of kickers. There just aren't that many of them out there. And there certainly aren't any of them just sitting out there for teams to pick up. If we're going to have an average kicker, I'd rather have a younger guy who's potential is unknown than go through the same thing with a retread who has already peaked and is on the way down...

Gamblor
08-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Kickers are a weird breed
They really are. The typical kicker career path is to go somewhere, be effective for a year or three, go on a horrible streak that makes your team sour on you, go somewhere else. After that happens, they might regain some effectiveness, or they might not. Very few kickers stay with one team, or even two, for an entire career.

It's important for teams to remember that kickers can come from damn near anywhere (waiver wire, NFL Europe, CFL, soccer fields), and at the end of the year, there's little difference statistically between most of them, which is why inexperience shouldn't be a concern. It was good for the Chiefs to cut the lagging 98-year-old legend last year and take a chance on a guy with a strong leg in Tynes. Now, it's time to cut bait again.

TRR
08-21-2005, 11:29 PM
Probably not, but how many kickers are what you just described?

You sound like you want the Priest Holmes of kickers. There just aren't that many of them out there. And there certainly aren't any of them just sitting out there for teams to pick up. If we're going to have an average kicker, I'd rather have a younger guy who's potential is unknown than go through the same thing with a retread who has already peaked and is on the way down...

Not wanting the "Priest Holmes of kickers" at all. I just want him to do at least ONE THING very well. If your not accurate then at least be able to hit the long ball. If you can't hit the long ball, then kick off with the best of them, if you can't kick off with the best of them, then be extremely reliable on PAT's, if you can't be extremely reliable on PAT's, then stay out of trouble off the field, if you can't stay out of trouble off the field....Ah, oh well.

tk13
08-21-2005, 11:32 PM
Not wanting the "Priest Holmes of kickers" at all. I just want him to do at least ONE THING very well. If your not accurate then at least be able to hit the long ball. If you can't hit the long ball, then kick off with the best of them, if you can't kick off with the best of them, then be extremely reliable on PAT's, if you can't be extremely reliable on PAT's, then stay out of trouble off the field, if you can't stay out of trouble off the field....Ah, oh well.
Tynes can't hit a long ball? He kicked a 51 yarder last week...

TRR
08-21-2005, 11:35 PM
Tynes can't hit a long ball? He kicked a 51 yarder last week...

Not consistently...That's the thing. He was 50% last season from 50+, and 50% last season from 40-49 yards. Hell, even Morten Anderson was better between 40-49 yards last season.

RealSNR
08-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Why don't we try trading like we did last year ala Steve Cheek?

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
08-21-2005, 11:42 PM
I couldn't stand having Edinger for the simple fact of his stupid ass backwards facing kicking routine. :shake:

Mecca
08-21-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Jay Feely's with the Giants now and Todd Peterson is the only kicker Atlanta has.

According to Gramatica he had a torn muscle in his side for the last few seasons and didn't say anything about it and it affected his kicking. He had surgery this offseason, so maybe he's better now?

I think they should just bring in a bunch of kickers for a tryout and see who looks the best. Hell atleast you can say Gramatica kicked in a superbowl and has been under pressure before.

DJJasonp
08-21-2005, 11:46 PM
I dont blame the chiefs for making the Tynes decision, but at least with Anderson we wouldnt ever have to second guess going for it or kicking the 50 yarder when you're 4th and 1 or a short 2 at the 39 yd line.

40+ yd line....punt
35-40 yd line....go for it.
35 and under...FG

With Tynes....it's just too much of a crap shoot.

TRR
08-21-2005, 11:53 PM
The best out there right now is Steve Christie.

Christie/Tynes 04 season compared....

Steve Christie
100% on extra points
22/28 FG's 78.6%
4/7 from 40-49 yards
3/4 from 50+
Long of 53 yards

Lawrence Tynes
96.7% on extra points (missed 2)
17/23 FG's 73.9%
3/6 from 40-49 yards
2/4 from 50+
Long of 50 yards

RealSNR
08-21-2005, 11:55 PM

Steve Christie
100% on extra points
22/28 FG's 78.6%
4/7 from 40-49 yards
3/4 from 50+
Long of 53 yards

Lawrence Tynes
17/23 FG's 73.9%
3/6 from 40-49 yards
2/4 from 50+
Long of 50 yardsSure. Why the hell not?

TRR
08-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Sure. Why the hell not?

A lot of experience behind Steve Christie. I wouldn't mind Christie at all. If nothing else, he'll provide a lot of competition these last couple of weeks.

tk13
08-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Not consistently...That's the thing. He was 50% last season from 50+, and 50% last season from 40-49 yards. Hell, even Morten Anderson was better between 40-49 yards last season.
Who the heck is consistent from beyond 50? That's asking for waaaaay too much. Once you get out there it's a crapshoot. Even Vanderjagt missed a 50+ yarder in Arrowhead last year.

There was not a single kicker in the entire NFL last year who kicked 3 or more 50+ yarders and was perfect. Not one. There were only two guys that even went 2-2 from out there.

TRR
08-22-2005, 12:05 AM
Who the heck is consistent from beyond 50? That's asking for waaaaay too much. Once you get out there it's a crapshoot. Even Vanderjagt missed a 50+ yarder in Arrowhead last year.

There was not a single kicker in the entire NFL last year who kicked 3 or more 50+ yarders and was perfect. Not one. There were only two guys that even went 2-2 from out there.

Then is it too much to ask Tynes to be consistent on PAT's? Cause he isn't. Is it too much to ask him to be consistent on FG attempts between 40-49 yards? Because he isn't. Could we maybe ask him to at least be in the top 5 in kickoffs, considering that is suppose to be is strength?

What can we ask of him?

Halfcan
08-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Yeah lets bring in Steve Christie-the guy the choked in the Superbowl. I think I will stick with Tynes.

TRR
08-22-2005, 12:11 AM
Yeah lets bring in Steve Christie-the guy the choked in the Superbowl. I think I will stick with Tynes.

Christie has been a solid kicker for 16 years. Rather a choke in the SB, than 2 chokes on XP's last season.

J Diddy
08-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Then is it too much to ask Tynes to be consistent on PAT's? Cause he isn't. Is it too much to ask him to be consistent on FG attempts between 40-49 yards? Because he isn't. Could we maybe ask him to at least be in the top 5 in kickoffs, considering that is suppose to be is strength?

What can we ask of him?

where did he get that left hook from?

tk13
08-22-2005, 12:22 AM

What can we ask of him?
I'm not asking anything of him, you are. I'm all for bringing in some competition at any position. My argument was that there isn't anybody out there that fills your magical requirements, and at this point I'd rather take a chance with Tynes than cut him for some retread on the way downhill that might not even be marginally better. We still have two preseason games for Tynes to kick himself out of that though, we'll see. I think Arrowhead is a tough place to kick anyway, sure seems like it... and evaluating how good a kicker is going to be seems like Russian Roulette anyway, very hard to predict. We should bring some people in, and we might find somebody way better than Tynes, if we do I think it'd be more luck than skill though, that's all.

Halfcan
08-22-2005, 12:27 AM
Those two extra point didn't cost me money in the Superbowl. Christie is out of the NFL for a reason. I really think Tynes will be on the roster opening day. He does have a rookie for a holder too. In his interview tonight he said "We" will work it out. So I think there is more to the misses than the guy just can't kick. You don't see San Diego bringing in Christie and they have worse problems.

Mecca
08-22-2005, 12:28 AM

Are you thinking of Scott Norwood? That's the Bills kicker that choked in the Superbowl. Christie has always been and still is a pretty consistent kicker, he's probably our best best.

Halfcan
08-22-2005, 12:39 AM
It was Christie. If he was so great, why not bring him in to start camp. The announcers as crappy as they were made a good point the other night about the kickoff in Minn. The ball bounced three times before going out of bounds, and our return team as usual was slow to get down there. We will see what Tynes does this weekend-if he chokes again I will rev up the Morton Anderson/ Gramatica Brothers/ Christie/ Gary Anderson/ Nick, Lowery band wagon, fair enough.

philfree
08-22-2005, 01:23 AM
What happened to the K the Colts drafted last year? Vanderject of course kept his job but the guy they drafted(why they drafted a K I don't know.) was good in college but I can't recall his name.

PhilFree:arrow:

greg63
08-22-2005, 01:42 AM
Christie has been a solid kicker for 16 years. Rather a choke in the SB, than 2 chokes on XP's last season.

The Super Bowl would be the one game I would rather a kicker NOT choke in.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-22-2005, 07:04 AM
The Bucs & the boys are looking for a kicker. The Jags have Josh Scobee & Seth Marler battlling it out

Saulbadguy
08-22-2005, 07:08 AM
I'll stick with Tynes. He'll make it.

Kylo Ren
08-22-2005, 07:10 AM

Steve Christie
100% on extra points
22/28 FG's 78.6%
4/7 from 40-49 yards
3/4 from 50+
Long of 53 yards

Lawrence Tynes
17/23 FG's 73.9%
3/6 from 40-49 yards
2/4 from 50+
Long of 50 yards

What about KOs?

Predarat
08-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Rob Bironas and Ola Kimrin may be available soon. You can always try Brett Conway, that is until he gets hurt after 2-3 weeks.