PDA

View Full Version : Starters.....back in the line-up, finally.

Mr. Kotter
08-23-2005, 01:31 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/12450867.htm

Stars coming back out
Veterans will see more playing time
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Training camp is over for the Chiefs, and the Sept. 11 season opener against the Jets is no longer some obscure object far off in the distance.

It’s time to get serious, and the Chiefs will change the way they go about business when they return to practice this afternoon, this time at the Truman Sports Complex facility.

Their aging stars will get no more practice time off. In fact, all starters will receive more work. Coach Dick Vermeil said the first units probably will play into the second half in Saturday’s preseason game against Seattle at Arrowhead Stadium.

The Chiefs also expect to get back several injured veterans, including Tony Gonzalez, Will Shields, Jason Dunn, Kendrell Bell, Carlos Hall, Jerome Woods and Eric Warfield.

The goal against the Seahawks will be to find some production from the starting offense, which has only one touchdown to show for two games. Even that was a gift. The biggest play on the touchdown drive Saturday against Arizona was a questionable pass interference penalty.

“We’re not functioning as a unit as efficiently as we did last year in the first two preseason games,” Vermeil said. “We’re aware of that.

“We need unit work. We need cohesiveness. We need to improve our pass protection. That will help Trent (Green) improve his rhythm and accuracy. He’s got to get sharper than he’s been. He’s got to practice more and play more. Our receivers have to do a better job, our younger guys especially. They get in a game and they break the route short, and that fouls the quarterback up.

“All of those things can be ironed out within the next three weeks or 10 football practices we have prior to playing the Jets.”

Yardage hasn’t been the Chiefs’ problem. In six possessions covering the two games, the starters committed no turnovers and had only one series of three plays and a punt.

But they have only 10 points. The struggles of kicker Lawrence Tynes are part of the problem. The Chiefs appear content to stick with Tynes for now, but that could change next week, when teams must trim their rosters and more kickers become available.

“Anybody that’s worth bringing in, we’ll bring in,” Vermeil said. “That may not happen for a while. Right now, it’s just to see if we can get Tynes through that slump.

“He knows the pressure is on him. Hopefully, we’ll help him handle it properly. If he doesn’t, we’ll have to find another kicker.”

Green isn’t in danger of losing his job, though he hasn’t played particularly well. On Monday, he was the Chiefs’ only healthy veteran quarterback. Todd Collins still isn’t ready to throw, and Damon Huard had a concussion, making him unlikely to play Saturday against Seattle.

The Chiefs were planning to sign veteran quarterback Jonathan Quinn, a reserve for the Chiefs for two seasons before joining the Bears last year. He played poorly, and Chicago released him.

Quinn would join Green and James Kilian as available quarterbacks. He could conceivably get some snaps against Seattle, but it’s the work of Green and his colleagues that will most interest Vermeil.

“We’ve had guys not in there,” Vermeil said in explaining the offensive problems. “You take Tony Gonzalez out of there and you take Jason Dunn out of there, and you get in your goal line and short-yardage and it’s a different ballgame. You take (Kevin Sampson) out of there and you (lose) the experience of Will Shields. All of those things make a difference.

“Our emphasis hasn’t been placed on game planning. We’ve been putting it on looking at different things with different people each week. There are certain things we wanted to accomplish last week. We wanted to score more points than we did but we also wanted to see how Kris Wilson could handle the blocking as a tight end inside.

“He did some good things. We did some specific things with Samie Parker. There were different scenarios. Within those scenarios, you’d like to score more points and we didn’t.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------
To reach Adam Teicher, Chiefs reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4875 or send e-mail to ateicher@kcstar.com

Wallcrawler
08-23-2005, 01:46 AM
Jonathan Quinn?!

Gimme a break already. Quinn isnt any good, and has shown it as a backup, and as a starting quarterback. Why waste money on a guy that isnt going anywhere?

If youre going to get a scrub, at the very least get a scrub that has a snowball's chance in hell of developing into a good player.

beer bacon
08-23-2005, 01:48 AM
Jonathan Quinn?!

Gimme a break already. Quinn isnt any good, and has shown it as a backup, and as a starting quarterback. Why waste money on a guy that isnt going anywhere?

If youre going to get a scrub, at the very least get a scrub that has a snowball's chance in hell of developing into a good player.

It would basically be because Quinn already knows the offense. He would be getting cut when the others get healthy anyways.

philfree
08-23-2005, 01:53 AM
The Chiefs also expect to get back several injured veterans, including Tony Gonzalez, Will Shields, Jason Dunn, Kendrell Bell, Carlos Hall, Jerome Woods and Eric Warfield.

Yeah all those guys will make a huge differnce. I wish they'd put Warfield on the field with Surtain for a series or two just to see how our 2ndary looks with our true starters on the field.

PhilFree:arrow:

Wallcrawler
08-23-2005, 01:58 AM
Yeah all those guys will make a huge differnce. I wish they'd put Warfield on the field with Surtain for a series or two just to see how our 2ndary looks with our true starters on the field.

Yeah, Id like to see at least a quarter of the defense at full strength before week 6 of the regular season, just to see what happens. 4 games, then a bye week before we get to see it, and thats if noone gets hurt.

That sucks, but Warfield earned his spot with the scrubs for being an off the field idiot, so I cant really blame the Chiefs.

philfree
08-23-2005, 02:03 AM
Yeah, Id like to see at least a quarter of the defense at full strength before week 6 of the regular season, just to see what happens. 4 games, then a bye week before we get to see it, and thats if noone gets hurt.

That sucks, but Warfield earned his spot with the scrubs for being an off the field idiot, so I cant really blame the Chiefs.

Yeah but we do have to be ready for those 1st four games. I'm not sure if McCleon recieving more 3rd degree burns is really gonna make us any more ready though.

Area 51
08-23-2005, 06:02 AM
It would basically be because Quinn already knows the offense. He would be getting cut when the others get healthy anyways.

The question I would ask: Is Quinn better than Huard or Kilian? I think Collins will be a lock for backup, but I also question his ability. In the Past KC has never had a quality backup other than Gannon.

King_Chief_Fan
08-23-2005, 06:15 AM
Jonathan Quinn?!

Here is where Whitlock would scream.........Jeff George!!

AirForceChief
08-23-2005, 06:29 AM

Exactly, Quinn will be a practice player, pure and simple. He'll be there so the 2nd and 3rd units can get their reps and Green's arm won't fall off...Nobody brought in this late would have a chance to make the final roster.

Rukdafaidas
08-23-2005, 06:58 AM
If Collins isn't ready to go by week 1, I would feel more comfortable having Quinn in the game than Huard or Killian if, god forbid, Green went down with an injury.
Quinn knows our offense and looked better than either Huard or Killian, in the past.
When Terry Shea, our QB coach, went to Chicago, why did he take Quinn with him if he sucks so bad?

htismaqe
08-23-2005, 07:31 AM
Holthus said that Shields, Gonzo, Dunn, and Bell should all see time this week.

ChiTown
08-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Never underestimate the Power of the Mighty Quinn.......

Mr. Kotter
08-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Never underestimate the Power of the Mighty Quinn.......

No kidding....LOL

There was a guy I thought, initially, had a good deal of potential. What a waste....kinda like Siavii, Freeman, Downing, Minnis......etc, etc, etc. :(

Otter
08-23-2005, 09:19 AM
The question I would ask: Is Quinn better than Huard or Kilian? I think Collins will be a lock for backup, but I also question his ability. In the Past KC has never had a quality backup other than Gannon.

Right now Killian is a blank slate that can be molded from third string up.

This is about the point where the Chiefs send him to NFLE to play in a different offense, in a different country in a inferior leauge then eventually cut him because he didn't work out.

Turning rookies into NFL caliber QBs and the Chiefs don't go together very well, if at all.

Area 51
08-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Right now Killian is a blank slate that can be molded from third string up.

This is about the point where the Chiefs send him to NFLE to play in a different offense, in a different country in a inferior leauge then eventually cut him because he didn't work out.

Turning rookies into NFL caliber QBs and the Chiefs don't go together very well, if at all.

Killian did look pretty blank alright. The last line sums it all up. The few times the Chiefs drafted QB's they didn't do anything but go sour on the bench.

Some day they will be hurt for a QB and be forced to do what Dallas did with Aikman, it sucks for a year or two but the results can be worth the wait.

Mr. Laz
08-23-2005, 09:26 AM

yea... me too

have warfield and surtian start just to see what happens